Author Topic: Checkerboard G110  (Read 4149 times)

Offline immo

Checkerboard G110
« on: Sat, 13 August 2011, 18:21:50 »
I have a Logitech G110, and I wanted to make my keyboard checkered like MKP, JangBi (for you BW fanatics :P) or ZeNEXCoca.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 24181[/ATTACH]
I know that they bought two Qsenns and swapped keys, but there is no white Logitech G110. I am not going to buy another keyboard until this one breaks down. Is there any way to find colored keys for the Logitech G110, or do I have to wait for the next keyboard to customize it?

Offline Pylon

Checkerboard G110
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 August 2011, 19:30:36 »
Can you take off a cap off your G110 and take a picture of the stem? If one of the major rubber dome manufacturers (NMB, Silitek, or Chicony) OEM'd it there's a very good chance you can find compatible caps off another board.

Offline immo

Checkerboard G110
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 14 August 2011, 18:36:08 »
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 24318[/ATTACH] Here is a picture, however the thing I am wondering is if the white keys will fit, because when I first got this keyboard, the keys felt a little small. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Offline immo

Checkerboard G110
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 14 August 2011, 18:40:46 »
another pic: [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 24319[/ATTACH]

Offline Pylon

Checkerboard G110
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 14 August 2011, 20:25:46 »
Looks like recent Silitek, though can't say for sure - my Dell SK-8115 has very similar looking plugs, except that little tab thing is on the other side (back instead of front). That alone though is an issue and is going to prevent you from using most Silitek caps.

Could you take a picture of the bottom of the keycap? Also, check the back and see if there's anything under Model number that starts with SK-xxxx, KB-xxxx, KU-xxxx, Lxxx, or RT-something.

Offline immo

Checkerboard G110
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 14 August 2011, 20:59:14 »
Back of spacebar says SK5215. Interestingly, as this pic shows, the Alt key (and spacebar not shown) have the tab on the back.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 24359[/ATTACH]
Windows key on left, Alt key on right

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 24360[/ATTACH]
Back of key, sorry for the blurriness, iPhone wouldnt focus :(

With this checkerboard I was NOT intending on replacing the Windows Key, which has the tab on the front. Is there a link to a place where I can buy these keycaps?

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
Checkerboard G110
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 16 August 2011, 10:22:07 »
You may be hard-pressed to find keys.
Also, my G11 had different tabs on the F and J keys, so when I rearranged the keys to Dvorak, I filed down the tabs, it's a lot of work, but I didn't notice any difference in key stability. You might try the same?

Offline Pylon

Checkerboard G110
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 16 August 2011, 14:46:38 »
You could try to buy a Silitek keyboard (keyboards with SK-xxxx) and see if the caps will fit, though I can make no guarantees. Try to shoot for a newer board (2004 or newer ish, though good luck finding beige/white models) since those caps tend to be slotted for the tabs. There's very good chance they won't fit. Try filing the tabs to see, though again it most likely won't work.

Best bet would be to bring your keyboard to a thrift store like Goodwill (remember to tell the person at the front you walked in with the G110, and you're not intending to donate it so that they won't think you're stealing it). Try to find a white SK-xxxx keyboard there and see if the caps will fit.

Honestly it's probably too much effort. It's a lot easier with certain boards where they had models in both black and white. I'd recommend the old Dell Quietkey RT7D5JTW model - it feels exceptionally good for a rubber dome, and it was made in both black and white versions, though the black version is somewhat uncommon (check Ebay). Also Chicony keyboards (KB-xxxx) with the round stem are good for swapping too, since several were made in both white and black for several different computer OEMs. IBM KB-9930 is a good one that has dual mode USB / PS/2 and came in both white and black versions, plus it has media keys.