Author Topic: MYOC - Make your own caps!  (Read 229593 times)

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
MYOC - Make your own caps!
« Reply #300 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 13:42:32 »
Got it.
A thought I had (as it seemed relative)...a Datahand, which each half is very small, but each half is a complete case (same detail as your Filco case).
Verses, a Kineisis case that is one large case cut into 2 pieces (not the same detail as your complete Filco case)

Another thought:
Forget the snaps, clips, and misc. if they are holding back the making of the case, and create several "blobs" of resin on one case, and drill a hole through the other case for a screw.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #301 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 14:12:04 »
Yeah I thought about just ignoring snaps / clips and drilling holes and getting some anodized screws. So many options :tongue:
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #302 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 23:04:16 »
Something that has been in planning stage for a few months:
-Sordna was to provide a Kinesis case as a "Master"
-Bluecar was to make molds of the case so we could 1) try to make a better case, 2) feel free to try cutting cases in half various ways to see what worked best, 3) re-work the F-key row "in the case" so the keys would follow the curve of the keywell. 4) other case features added. Cases are available from Kinesis for about $40 but that doesn't allow for the mods or possible improvements (flat bottom for the Kinesis case instead of a sculpted bottom).

This thread and your case efforts have given me pause with our fiberglass mold idea. Maybe silicone would do the trick. This thread has also inspired me to revisit the "Caseless Kinesis" idea.

And you suckers were just bored one rainy day and decided to make a couple key caps....
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline bluecar5556

« Reply #303 on: Sat, 17 December 2011, 03:28:36 »
Are you using polymer casting resin for the case?  Coating the mold with mold release wax such as Meguiars "usually" allows easy separation after curing.  The caseless idea is inspiring, for the sake of brainstorming, mold a fringe around the outside of the keycaps on each bowl to prevent the keycaps from flying off should something brush against them and standoff's to either mount the bowls to armrests or a plate of some sort for desktop use.  I'm diggin' the caseless idea for a lower profile and the sake of a simpler installation onto armrests, for instance.

UScomposites.com has competitive pricing for their quality and wide selection of materials such as moldmaking rubbers, resins, fillers, and everything in between.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #304 on: Tue, 20 December 2011, 21:19:47 »
I REEELY hate it when you guys start getting quiet. Then I KNOW somethings up, and I wanna know what it is.

Anybody mold a ****? (I mean a CAT you dirty scumbags). Or the neighbors BMW car key? Anyone? Anyone?

Offline Gawkbasher

« Reply #305 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 20:58:11 »
I guess a bit of a bump/necro but I've been thinking about doing my own caps for some time now...I have a lot of sculpting/molding/casting experience and just need to get my workshop set up in my garage (just moved cross-country a short while ago).

For fine detailing (keys with legends, clickclack type designs) you really need a vacuum chamber & pressure chamber though.  There are tons of options you have for making nice polyurethane keycaps.  My only worry really is if polyurethane keys are any good.  I assumed that's what clickclacks are it's one of those things that I'll have to see for myself.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 January 2012, 21:32:41 by Gawkbasher »
Topre Realforce 87U 45g / Logitech G9x / Razer Scarab
KBC Poker X (Blue)
/ KBC Poker X (Red)

Offline Specter_57

« Reply #306 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 22:44:56 »

Hello, all.

Now this is a really interesting thread and discussion, making my own caps has a real appeal to me.

Just wondering, have you heard of something called "Shapelock"  or "Friendly Plastic"?  

This is a plastic that can be melted and formed at boiling water temperatures...and is available in various colors.
Might be applicable to this project.

Do a Google (or whatever your fav search engine is...)  on "Shapelock"  and  "Friendly Plastic"  and you will find a whole lot of info on it and the uses, techniques.

You can even get a free 35gm sample at Shapelock.com (free offer, left side of the page...)

Just thought this info would be of interest.

Spec57

Offline Gawkbasher

« Reply #307 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 22:52:01 »
Shapelock is Polycaprolactone (PCL) and is biodegradable.  It has some nice properties but I wouldn't want to type on something that decomposes in natural environments and casting resins are probably going to be easier to work with (especially with the customization that people would want to do).

If I were environment-conscious I'd switch to some other material besides plastic.
Topre Realforce 87U 45g / Logitech G9x / Razer Scarab
KBC Poker X (Blue)
/ KBC Poker X (Red)

Offline naranja

« Reply #308 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 23:50:39 »
any updates?? this was getting interesting s:

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #309 on: Thu, 16 February 2012, 15:12:35 »
I'm thinking about buying some Instant Mold:

[video=youtube;ub70AU5RfmI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub70AU5RfmI[/video]

Then I will try to use some Milliput or Green stuff I already have at home. I would be able to sand them and do some cool designs at the top of the keycap.

Offline Specter_57

« Reply #310 on: Thu, 16 February 2012, 21:29:42 »

Just a thought...

Wonder if acetate sheet plastic would adhere well to the casting materials...

Idea here, is that you take a piece of acetate sheet, and mark the inside surface with a sharpie pen or stick a decal on it, and then place it on the top surface of the cap and add in the molding material behind it...in this way we could have customized lettering/symbols too.

Is this is a reasonable idea?  or not...?

Spec57

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #311 on: Fri, 17 February 2012, 07:20:54 »
Quote from: guilleguillaume;516333
I'm thinking about buying some Instant Mold:

Then I will try to use some Milliput or Green stuff I already have at home. I would be able to sand them and do some cool designs at the top of the keycap.

You can make some cool top designs, I don't think you can make the stem tho.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline Nalif

« Reply #312 on: Fri, 17 February 2012, 08:48:10 »
If you were to use a clay mold, would the cap take less finishing? Seems a rigid mold might have less issues with flash etc.

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #313 on: Fri, 17 February 2012, 16:41:42 »
Quote from: hazeluff;516924
You can make some cool top designs, I don't think you can make the stem tho.

I ended up ordering one pack of Instant Mold and will post some experiences when it arrives here.

I'm mostly interested in making Topre keys and I think the Steam is easier to reproduce.

Offline Nalif

« Reply #314 on: Fri, 17 February 2012, 20:33:00 »
I'd really like to try my hand at making some keys, but I'm stuck with thin caps that really wouldn't be good for mold making ( Filco's and wasd ). Is there anyone out there that would be willing to donate a thick cherry cap for science? Preferably a row 1?

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #315 on: Fri, 17 February 2012, 20:36:05 »
Quote from: Nalif;517432
I'd really like to try my hand at making some keys, but I'm stuck with thin caps that really wouldn't be good for mold making ( Filco's and wasd ). Is there anyone out there that would be willing to donate a thick cherry cap for science? Preferably a row 1?

Use some putty and put it on the inside of a keycap you don't need. Its not clean, but it'll work. You can always sand it till its smooth after applying the putty to make it thicker.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline Nalif

« Reply #316 on: Fri, 17 February 2012, 21:15:46 »
Quote from: hazeluff;517437
Use some putty and put it on the inside of a keycap you don't need. Its not clean, but it'll work. You can always sand it till its smooth after applying the putty to make it thicker.

I don't think sanding the inside of the cap would be very easy, and it would probably come out uneven, which would ruin the look of transparent caps. It's important to get the inside roof/walls of a clear key as even as possible, otherwise it looks messy. So far, the best thing I can think of for my situation would be to cast the thin cap as-is, and once the mold is complete, trim off  the sections in red shown below as evenly as possible using a sharp scalpel. Reading the thread, though, it seems like silicone doesn't cut easily. Maybe if the scalpel were heated? If these  sections were removed evenly, it would give the key thicker walls and remove the support beams thin keys use along the inner top.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 40951[/ATTACH]

I've considered creating a key entirely out of clay and then baking the result so that I would have a blank master key made out of hard clay. In theory, it would be much easier to shape and smooth the inside of a clay key. The main problem is, you would get shrinkage from both baking the clay and from casting the resin. I don't think the stem would fit over the switch.

Offline Stevieboy7

« Reply #317 on: Fri, 17 February 2012, 21:16:58 »
Making a mold for a keycap is not going to be very easy. Unless you have access to really good silicone, and a lot of experience in 2-part molds. The small thin surfaces and tight dimensions (stem) make any non-aluminum/metal molds very difficult.
Unless you're going to do a stem impant into the keycap.... which would make it slightly easier.

Offline Nalif

« Reply #318 on: Fri, 17 February 2012, 21:27:00 »
Quote from: Stevieboy7;517493
Making a mold for a keycap is not going to be very easy. Unless you have access to really good silicone, and a lot of experience in 2-part molds. The small thin surfaces and tight dimensions (stem) make any non-aluminum/metal molds very difficult.
Unless you're going to do a stem impant into the keycap.... which would make it slightly easier.

http://www.smooth-on.com/gallery.php?galleryid=450

Looking at the projects on this page, particularly the telephone pole, I don't think it's that far-fetched. I think doing something very similar to the telephone pole  would work well for a key cap.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #319 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 01:29:20 »
Thanks you guys for keeping the information base current and building it up. Very interesting and helpful.

I'm thinking of keycaps and other aspects of keyboard science that this may come in handy, although some things I may have to make the original...yikes.

One thing that I'm curious about regarding the stems. I have an older Kinesis and the keys don't fall off. I have a newer Kinesis and the keys don't fall off. But the older keys on the newer Kinesis, some fall off. I have not put the newer keys on the older Kinesis to see if they don't fit. I don't like the idea that keys would ever come off unless you used a key puller. Now that several of you have made key caps, are you having any issues with key caps that come off way too easy? Or too hard to get onto the switch stem?

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #320 on: Sun, 26 February 2012, 01:30:12 »
I think mx stem sizes must have changed size slightly over the years. My dolch caps only fit the dolch board tightly; any newer switches (rosewill, cherry, etc) and they slip off.

Inputnirvana:  Check the stems of the caps for hairline cracks. I know at least some of mine are cracked. So aging may be more of a factor than specs of the older mx stems.
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #321 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 20:54:00 »
Quote from: guilleguillaume;517284
I ended up ordering one pack of Instant Mold and will post some experiences when it arrives here.

I'm mostly interested in making Topre keys and I think the Steam is easier to reproduce.

I think I am about to try and make some Topre keys as well, but with alumilite stuff.

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #322 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 22:22:52 »
Got some more alumilite stuff today, just waiting on the HHKB to show up now :clock:

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #323 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 23:04:55 »
Can't wait to see that! =D
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #324 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 23:14:30 »
Quote from: reaper;549414
Can't wait to see that! =D

Don't worry I will prolly **** that up like the case I tried to make lol. Either way it should be fun.

Offline MyNameIsFinn

« Reply #325 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 23:37:22 »
I will be doing this!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Filco TKL MX Brown

Offline glossywhite

« Reply #326 on: Sun, 18 March 2012, 18:44:15 »
Quote from: ishtob;448510
I've seen some of the 3D prints, they can get pretty detailed depending on what kind of 3D printer it is. I just don't like the texture you get on the sides from the materials being layered

3D printing is EXTREMELY immature technology, so far as the consumer is concerned. Personally I wouldn't even waste my thoughts on it. Moulding is much easier, and has been around many orders of magnitude longer than 3D printing. I find 3D printing to be another gimmicky fad, personally. It's NOT going to surpass mass-moulded items anytime soon.

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #327 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 15:30:37 »
I finally got a mold to work and made a copy of the elusive red hhkb control key

The hardest part is getting the stem to fully form on the topre.

I will post my successes and failures later tonight :)

EDIT: I was on my phone and had no idea how bad that pic was lol, I will post better ones later sorry. Making more keys!!!
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 March 2012, 17:26:54 by whiskerBox »

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #328 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 18:06:10 »
Ok here are some better pics:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 45703[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 45704[/ATTACH]

Here are the best ones I have made so far, but they still have away togo before there perfect.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 45705[/ATTACH]

The hardest part is getting the stem to form fully as you can see here. I have found that using a needle helps but is not perfect.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 45706[/ATTACH]

Also this is just funny. Tell me this doesn't look like an eraser lol
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 45707[/ATTACH]

Still a work in progress........................................

If anybody has some tips on getting them stem to form or eliminating bubbles feel free to chime in :)

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #329 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 18:27:30 »
Your almost there good job :-)
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #330 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 20:38:38 »
This looks so fun. I gotta get in on this. GJ wiskerBox

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #331 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 22:33:44 »
I was able to get the stem fully formed, but there was so much dye in residual dye in my mixing cup that the color came out a little darker then I wanted :(

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 45754[/ATTACH]

I have the last one casting right now so hopefully the color comes out better. its the last one because I am out of resin mix and because my GF said that I had to clean this mess up tonight or she was going to kill me in my sleep.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 45755[/ATTACH]

Offline Aranair

• Software Engineer @ PocketMath
    • Tech blog
« Reply #332 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 22:42:34 »
could always tie her up before you continue the next batch.

It really does look like you're almost there too !

Present  : HHKB Pro 2 Type-S White | HHKB Pro 2 White Blank | Ergodox EZ
Past      :  Poker 2 Brown | Black Widow Ultimate Blue | Filco TKL Brown

Offline captain

« Reply #333 on: Mon, 26 March 2012, 04:14:42 »
Quote from: Aranair;556782
could always tie her up before you continue the next batch.

And post pics!  ;-P

Seriously, this is the thread that I have been searching for since I got to geekhack!  Vbulletin's search sucks.
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline Maarten

« Reply #334 on: Mon, 26 March 2012, 04:18:43 »
Start making 3d skull caps for a profit :D

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #335 on: Mon, 26 March 2012, 07:23:45 »
Quote from: Maarten;556995
Start making 3d skull caps for a profit :D

Does this flame war have to start again?  If you don't already know what this would turn into, see this thread.  Just talking about it can get you fed to the flames.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #336 on: Tue, 27 March 2012, 10:18:45 »
I managed to make a copy of a Topre key with Instant mold and Milliput black.

The key required some sanding and cutting leftover putty but overal is pretty nice. The stem need some tweaking but fits the switch perfectly. I used a Click Clack key as a mold and I reccomend you to do the same because they're thick and easier to reproduce because the Stem is way better than the original one. It is for personal use so no worries here, I made a Skull one to use as a keychan.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 March 2012, 10:21:46 by guilleguillaume »

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #337 on: Tue, 27 March 2012, 12:29:51 »
Quote from: whiskerBox;556545

(Attachment Link) 45707[/ATTACH]
omg that brings back childhood memories!

eraser > red

Quote from: guilleguillaume;558145
I managed to make a copy of a Topre key with Instant mold and Milliput black.

The key required some sanding and cutting leftover putty but overal is pretty nice. The stem need some tweaking but fits the switch perfectly. I used a Click Clack key as a mold and I reccomend you to do the same because they're thick and easier to reproduce because the Stem is way better than the original one. It is for personal use so no worries here, I made a Skull one to use as a keychan.
I was thinking of getting some instant mold, I'm glad that it works, it looks so easy even I can do it!
Keyboardless

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #338 on: Tue, 27 March 2012, 12:33:34 »
Quote from: tsangan;558273

eraser > red

Eraser is easy it is just 1 drop of red for 20cc of resin mix :)

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #339 on: Tue, 27 March 2012, 12:55:04 »
Quote from: tsangan;558273

eraser > red

I was thinking of getting some instant mold, I'm glad that it works, it looks so easy even I can do it!

Not bad for a first try to be honest:

I coudln't sleep yesterday so I decided to give it a try and left it drying while sleeping. The difficult part is the stem because I didn't get the detail needed. The good thin is that you can sand and cut milliput and add a bit more where needed. I will paint and varnish it.

WARNING: I'm not doing this to make any profit, this is just for personal use and Click Clack keys are better than standard Topre keys for this task. I encourage people to buy his keycaps because they are top quality.

Offline Aranair

• Tech blog
« Reply #340 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 09:00:10 »
heh thats pretty damn nice, did that stem work?

Offline Glissant

« Reply #341 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 19:26:54 »
I just got caught up and have to say I am mighty impressed by all the fun you guys have been having. I got inspired to researching more about how to get the materials here in Norway while I wait for my green card to come through, but oh my lord is it difficult to get the right resources in this little country.
Suffice to say I can't wait to get back to the states so that I can finally start working on my own key cap designs. I already have a lot of ideas that I am working with my artistically inclined wife to make reality.

I am excited to see what more you guys will be making =) Keep up the good "work"! =D

Offline Maarten

« Reply #342 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 02:38:17 »
Quote from: braaaiiins;455816
Tiny ziplock bags! No need for a mixing stick. You just pour some resin in through a ketchup type bottle. Put some coloring in. Squeeze all of the air out and then proceed to mush it around with your fingers and then cut a small opening in the bottom corner to pour out some material for your mold.

Please do make video's on you first attempts..... If those bags leak or pop open you might have yourself the ultimate DIY hit on youtube, keep in mind that peoper resin can only be removed mechanically.

If i were you id just buy a bunch of those disposable paper coffee-cups and mixing spade thingies (or even better, 'borrow' em from your boss if you know what i mean). They cost close to nothing. DONT use plastic cups, polyester based resins will dissolve it and epoxy based stuff will melt it making a huge mess!! If you manage to get your hands on a crappy enough resin combo plastic cups might work, but i still advise strongly against it.

Offline Aranair

• Tech blog
« Reply #343 on: Sun, 01 April 2012, 07:56:19 »
Quote from: Glissant;562009
I just got caught up and have to say I am mighty impressed by all the fun you guys have been having. I got inspired to researching more about how to get the materials here in Norway while I wait for my green card to come through, but oh my lord is it difficult to get the right resources in this little country.
Suffice to say I can't wait to get back to the states so that I can finally start working on my own key cap designs. I already have a lot of ideas that I am working with my artistically inclined wife to make reality.

I am excited to see what more you guys will be making =) Keep up the good "work"! =D

Likewise...here in Singapore, the bloody materials are so freaking expensive!

I found some local stores selling them at uber expensive prices. All the stuff added up to 120 USD. Man I can buy another board w that money :P
Lets hope it turns out alright.......

Btw, does anyone know how to use a 2-part mold for double-shotting keycaps? Or is that even possible with silicone molds?

Offline Aranair

• Tech blog
« Reply #344 on: Sun, 01 April 2012, 09:27:05 »
So here goes. I wish I bloody listened to the instructions to stick clay below the item too-.-

It totally seeped in:( looks like its more work when I flip it over..

« Last Edit: Sun, 01 April 2012, 09:29:21 by Aranair »

Offline Aranair

• Tech blog
« Reply #345 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 09:32:45 »
Sigh. Update 2.
The bloody sculpery III clay I used to make the registry key caused parts of the silicone rubber to not cure for some reason. It's supposed to be sulphur free too:/

Is it a must to bake the clay before using it? Anyone knows?

Offline braaaiiins

« Reply #346 on: Tue, 03 April 2012, 22:52:04 »
Quote from: Maarten;562375
Please do make video's on you first attempts..... If those bags leak or pop open you might have yourself the ultimate DIY hit on youtube, keep in mind that peoper resin can only be removed mechanically.

If i were you id just buy a bunch of those disposable paper coffee-cups and mixing spade thingies (or even better, 'borrow' em from your boss if you know what i mean). They cost close to nothing. DONT use plastic cups, polyester based resins will dissolve it and epoxy based stuff will melt it making a huge mess!! If you manage to get your hands on a crappy enough resin combo plastic cups might work, but i still advise strongly against it.

I really have been wanting to post my methods via video. I've just been so lazy. I put my key cap project to the side for the time being to focus on other projects. I still have a few pages of sketches for more key cap designs, so when I do decide to pick it up again, I'll have plenty to work with and share.

If you're making individual key caps... really, a cup is overkill for your mixing needs. I used the caps of Pringles containers (same cap lasted for a handful of separate mixes) and a paper clip to mix my resin and colors. Eventually my little Pringles cap looked like a painting palette.

Offline braaaiiins

« Reply #347 on: Tue, 03 April 2012, 22:55:46 »
Quote from: Aranair;564559
Sigh. Update 2.
The bloody sculpery III clay I used to make the registry key caused parts of the silicone rubber to not cure for some reason. It's supposed to be sulphur free too:/

Is it a must to bake the clay before using it? Anyone knows?

Are you using the clay to make designs on top of a keycap? I just ordered some Green Stuff online and used it to sculpt designs on top of a blank key cap I owned. I really like Green Stuff - it's pretty easy to use. Lots of people use it to make miniatures.

Offline Aranair

• Tech blog
« Reply #348 on: Wed, 04 April 2012, 03:59:23 »
no lol

I'm using the clay to make the resin entrance hole and key registers for the mold...and I'm still waiting for it to fully cure before I start again lol. (got lazy last night)
Do you have a link for those "green stuff"?

mmm for designs you can try those milliput...or easymold silicone putty...might work too if you have cheap access to those lol

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #349 on: Wed, 04 April 2012, 05:19:45 »
Quote from: whiskerBox;556545

(Attachment Link) 45707[/ATTACH]

Makes me want a piece of bazooka joe is what it does!

Nice work all.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.