Author Topic: Options w/ left Alt closer to center (Minila, etc.)  (Read 3260 times)

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
Options w/ left Alt closer to center (Minila, etc.)
« on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 19:29:01 »
Hey all,

I never really asked myself why Alt is easier to reach (with my left thumb) on my Thinkpad... turns out it's much closer to the center than on ANSI layout:

I even occasionally use the Windows key, which I never touch on my main board.

This makes me wish there were more keys available for the left thumb on standard boards. I'm starting to get the Filco Minila layout... Function keys you can reach! The F-row seems super easy access, as well. Perhaps the short space bar would be problematic.

What are some other widely available, left thumb-friendly keyboards for the frequent Alt user? Ideally with an easy to reach F-row; Matias Mini would be an example, however reliability seems to be an issue, according to the reviews.

Thanks

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
Re: Options w/ left Alt closer to center (Minila, etc.)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 21:21:05 »
Okay, so there's a bunch of 60% keyboards with short spacebars and extra thumb keys, in addition to Minila: atom66, Pure Pro, HHKB JP, Z70 ...

I guess most aren't widely available. Also, by definition (of 60%), none of them have an F-row. Minila being the best case due to the Fn key "ready to go".