Author Topic: [IC] Obelisk 65% Now With More Colors!  (Read 6197 times)

Offline SUB01

[IC] Obelisk 65% Now With More Colors!
« on: Mon, 05 July 2021, 03:33:42 »
Hello, this is an ic for a 65% keyboard that is based on obelisks in Egyptian architecture. Yugioh jokes aside, I started designing this keyboard years ago when I first graduated highschool 2 years ago when 65% keyboards were much rarer, and as an aspiring engineering student engineer and maker wanted to try designing something similar. I'm putting this out there as a way to get constructive technical and aesthetic feedback, as well as a way to curb my procrastination habits. Hopefully having people wait for updates will actually force me to start getting somewhere, so periodic reminders to get working would also be appreciated!

The plan is to have the cad files of the obelisk structure be available online for people who want to machine/print their own.

Currently, the only outer shell parts are mostly finished in cad (the silver base and the blue top). The plate, pcb, and the obelisk structure on top are still a wip. I'll have some major questions that I still need to be answered below, but please feel free to include any additional comments.

I'll add more concrete details like the weight and pcb specs once everything is more complete.

Specs:
Angle: 6°
Keyboard Weight:tbd
Insert Weight:tbd

Questions:
The obelisk structure sits 2.5cm tall at a 6 degree slant, would this make it too obtrusive when moving between keyboard and mouse?
The only color that is for certain right now is blue as it is my favorite color, but what color would you like to see in pictures?
People have mentioned that the back obelisk weight kind of looks like a sword, is it too distracting from the thematic?
Any major detail that I am missing?
Any other angles of the keeb that you would like to see?

Forgive me for the lack of proper renders for I am not very familiar with anything other than basic cad software, I did what I could in the fusion360 rendering. Some of the screenshots are directly from the design workspace because I thought they showed the lines better than in the rendering workspace.

7/7 update: More colors! Hopefully, these colors will show the design off better. https://imgur.com/a/Yi85OlN

8/18 update: Here goes nothing, I ordered a prototype. Both top and bottom halves are matte black. I decided to experiment with gold plating for the weight and the blocker. The plate is brass as usual. I procrastinated so long that I also designed a whole new keeb. More to come of that later.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 August 2021, 12:10:26 by SUB01 »

Offline marcofriedrichs

• Discord: Marco#8888
    • marcofriedrichs.com
Re: [IC] Obelisk 65%
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 05 July 2021, 03:36:12 »
Now that's a corner blocker!

Offline jabe8i

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 05 July 2021, 03:50:31 »
The front part looks kinda tall from the renders. Overall though, I like the idea.

Offline RicWatt

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 July 2021, 04:57:26 »
We are starting to see keyboards become more weapon like. I am telling my SO we need this for security reasons lol.

Offline clickpig

• naisu naisu naisu
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 05 July 2021, 05:36:40 »
Yugioh jokes aside

The fact the obelisk blocker isn't a giant button that plays the yugioh theme song when you hammer it is a missed opportunity.

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 05 July 2021, 07:36:45 »
I like the idea, but the color is not matching it.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Offline Neely_12

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 05 July 2021, 09:06:06 »
I think the huge obelisk on the back should be shrunken down so it can be centered in the middle facing upwards. Kinda feels off to only be able to see it if I tip the board a certain way. You could also add more details like buildings, a sky, etc. to make the weight stand out more. This would also probably make it the same cost with added details since the weight would be smaller. Overall nice look!

Offline $W4GK!NG

• Keyboard/Car/Audio Enthusiast
    • Linktree
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 05 July 2021, 14:42:02 »
I think this is a little too early for an IC, there is not even a screw hole for anything yet, and there's no information on the mounting, please consider finishing the design of the entire keyboard before posting IC for it

As for the design feedback, I do think that the big ass chamfer is a little too wacky and not my style, and the front of the keyboard looks really high, the weight being more on only one side of the keyboard will make handling it a little weird, the blocker is a nice unique idea but it is also not really anything new since it is still a 65% with top-right blocker. And personally, I do expect an "aspiring engineering student" to do better on a CAD design when you claimed to design this for 2 years, though don't let my comment discourage you, keep on working on your design!!

Offline hzsh

• aspiring renderman
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 05 July 2021, 15:01:28 »
I think the huge obelisk on the back should be shrunken down so it can be centered in the middle facing upwards. Kinda feels off to only be able to see it if I tip the board a certain way. You could also add more details like buildings, a sky, etc. to make the weight stand out more. This would also probably make it the same cost with added details since the weight would be smaller. Overall nice look!

Ditto on this for sure, gives me too much Washington Monument vibes. Perhaps consider a flatter alternative for the badge if people don't have a good response to the taller one. Overall looks intriguing but not my type, and many people would probably want some redesigns. Good luck, though.

Offline lukelex

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 05 July 2021, 15:02:06 »
I think this is a little too early for an IC, there is not even a screw hole for anything yet, and there's no information on the mounting, please consider finishing the design of the entire keyboard before posting IC for it

As for the design feedback, I do think that the big ass chamfer is a little too wacky and not my style, and the front of the keyboard looks really high, the weight being more on only one side of the keyboard will make handling it a little weird, the blocker is a nice unique idea but it is also not really anything new since it is still a 65% with top-right blocker. And personally, I do expect an "aspiring engineering student" to do better on a CAD design when you claimed to design this for 2 years, though don't let my comment discourage you, keep on working on your design!!

Don't be a n00b. You obviously glue the top and bottom together.

Offline $W4GK!NG

• Keyboard/Car/Audio Enthusiast
    • Linktree
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 05 July 2021, 15:10:14 »

glue mount for the thocc?????

Offline Baka Bot

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 05 July 2021, 19:35:08 »

We dont use glue. We use all of our hopes and dreams.

Offline SUB01

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 03:49:40 »
Hello guys! I would like to clarify this is a passion project more than anything, so I'm really thankful for all the suggestions! I think the most common comment I have heard from people irl and online is that this shade of blue isn't really everyone's cup of tea. I'm a bit busy right now but I will have some more pictures of the keeb in different colors later tonight. Right now I'm thinking of a darker blue, a dark red wine type color, and sandstone or olive color.

I would also like to apologize, I completely forgot to mention that this will be a sandwich/gasket mount. I just didn't include photos of the mount itself because the plate looks really messy and was a bit embarrassed to present it. After some late night work, I did make some progress on the screw holes like someone mentioned, but I've run into another dilemma. I want the bottom of the case to have 10 total screws, but one of the middle screws will interfere with the jst daughterboard. Would you guys prefer to have a decorative fake screw or just leave it as is? Personally, I do think it would look better with the extra fake screw.

Offline SUB01

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 11:30:05 »
I wasn't totally sure what to call these colors so I randomly thought of the things that I was trying to base the colors off of. Here is the imgur link, tell me if you guys prefer them to the old blue.

https://imgur.com/a/Yi85OlN

Offline SUB01

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 11:42:34 »

Hey, thanks for your comment! Like I said I'm kinda a chronic procrastinator so now that I finally don't have an excuse I'm forcing my lazy a-- to start working on it again. First it was college applications, then it was finals, then it was getting used to the new school, then it was exams. I could never properly work on something consistently.

As for the design, I realize that the most I ever move my keyboard is by pivoting it going between fps games to moba games so I didn't really think it would matter. Now that you mention it, the height could be a problem for people without wrist rests. I might try to draw up something that is aesthetically similar. Thank you for your feedback!

Offline SUB01

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 11:46:55 »

We dont use glue. We use all of our hopes and dreams.
How about the power of friendship? please don't ever make me type that again also rip coco