Author Topic: [Help] Sticky 2U stablizer (backspace)  (Read 1687 times)

Offline rsrogers4

[Help] Sticky 2U stablizer (backspace)
« on: Sun, 18 July 2021, 12:58:47 »
[Moved from Simple Q&A because this may no longer be simple.]

My backspace is sticking and sometimes hitting the | key below it. This is my first keyboard build, using the F12 86-key hotswap PCB for the Frog TKL.

I didn't lube the stabilizers (Everglide v2), but I did recheck all (including the backspace) and confirmed that the wire is inserted into the second hole on both sides, the wire is clipped in on the 'hinge' in the housing on both sides, the screw pins are in the small PCB holes, and the wire seems straight after testing on a flat surface. I also tried different switches so it probably isn't switch-related.

I installed the backspace, |, Enter, and R-Shift keys without the plate or any other keys/switches installed so I could press those keys and look at them from the side to see what's happening.

The backspace stems are clearly only returning halfway up the housing, whereas for the other (unlubed) stabilized keys (enter and shift) in that column the stem returns all the way to the top of the housing after a keypress. I'm not sure what could be causing this, but could it be fixed with lube? Is it likely a bent wire? Or a bad stabilizer?

My other thought would be to swap the 2U stab from the Enter key to the backspace key to isolate whether the issue is with the stab or key. Is that worth trying?
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 July 2021, 08:59:29 by rsrogers4 »
Geonworks Frog TKL w/62g Alpaca v2 (lubed, TX springs), SA-P Industrial PBT caps | Maker Alexa w/boba u4t stock, DCS 9009 caps

Offline rsrogers4

Re: Sticky 2U stablizer (backspace)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 18 July 2021, 18:01:20 »
I may have figured this out. I tightened the stab screws and it has improved. My theory is that loose screws were letting the upper end of the housing slip a little, which meant the wire didn't have a clear path to the top, and this may have been exacerbated by the tall SA-P profile. It isn't perfect yet, and behaves worse than all the other stabs, so there might still be something off. I'm going to try lubing the stabs next. If this sounds like I'm on the right path, or if anyone has any other ideas, I appreciate the feedback.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 July 2021, 18:10:15 by rsrogers4 »
Geonworks Frog TKL w/62g Alpaca v2 (lubed, TX springs), SA-P Industrial PBT caps | Maker Alexa w/boba u4t stock, DCS 9009 caps

Offline rsrogers4

Re: [Help] Sticky 2U stablizer (backspace)
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 30 July 2021, 06:55:01 »
In case someone reads this in the future: my original 2U backspace key was flawed in some way (maybe warped stems?). The stabilizer was fine, and I have to give a shout out to Signature Plastics for their incredible customer support - sent me a new key for free right away - and the SA-P Industrial set looks and feels awesome.

Also, as this was my first keyboard, I tried unlubed stabilizers just to experience what that was like, but now that I've lubed them... I will always lube. I've come to hate stab rattle.