Author Topic: [IC] Bireme - A Wireless Ergodox-inspired Split Keyboard  (Read 38885 times)

Offline Icypetal

Re: [IC] Bireme - A Wireless Ergodox-inspired Split Keyboard
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 16 November 2019, 00:14:22 »
It looks great, looking for updates  :)

Offline wantsabireme

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 10 January 2020, 08:39:43 »
Signed up specifically to say that I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on one of these!

Offline jimboytacos

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 10 January 2020, 21:26:36 »
Never knew this existed. I want one! Did I miss the GB?

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 10 January 2020, 22:23:35 »
Never knew this existed. I want one! Did I miss the GB?

No. Shensmobile is still working on finalizing it.

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 11 January 2020, 00:04:11 »
Did not catch this at first! know a few coworkers that would be interested in such a board, looking forward to its progress!

Offline Koniotaur

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 11 January 2020, 04:55:11 »
Are there some chances for wired version?

Offline wantsabireme

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 06:54:18 »

I believe it has a wired mode, doesn't it?

Offline Koniotaur

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 12:48:41 »

I believe it has a wired mode, doesn't it?

Oh yeah you're right, I don't know how I skipped that part.

Is it too late to ask for support for 3x 1u in center on vertical part? (2x 1.5 is what is currently)
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 January 2020, 13:17:00 by Koniotaur »

Offline maricn

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 14:56:30 »
This hits all my buttons.

* Wireless + wired.
* Rechargeable.
* Columnar.
* Solid build.
* QMK
* ErgoDox EZ-uesque layout
* Fully split

Looking forward to GB.

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 23:59:21 »
Hi all,

It's been such a long while since I've posted any real update.  I've been so wrapped up with the Boardrun and getting that IC and GB launched that I have not had any time to work on the Bireme.  I was also getting pretty burnt on it as I had gone through several mechanical revisions and several electronic revisions in a VERY short period of time.  In fact, I had essentially designed 2 different wireless split boards and gotten them prototyped and built.  Normally when I work on a project, I know exactly what I'm working toward, but with this, technical limitations had me going back to the drawing board every week.

However, with that said, the Boardrun is pretty much ready for GB, which frees me up to work on the Bireme again.  I have a renewed spirit and I think I have a solid vision of what the board should be.  I just wanted to post a quick update to let you all know that the board WILL be coming, I haven't given up on it, and I will have a more detailed engineering update for you shortly.

And this time, I'm not cutting any corners to the design :) Trust me when I say I'm putting my full effort into this board.

If you want real time updates as to what's going on with the board, please join the Panc x Shens discord and chat with me!  We love to discuss all things Ergo on my server, and I love your feedback.  I believe that we're making keyboards together as a community, and want as much of your feedback as possible.  Every wacky idea will be entertained :)

Offline wantsabireme

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 17:32:11 »
Hi all,

It's been such a long while since I've posted any real update.  I've been so wrapped up with the Boardrun and getting that IC and GB launched that I have not had any time to work on the Bireme.  I was also getting pretty burnt on it as I had gone through several mechanical revisions and several electronic revisions in a VERY short period of time.  In fact, I had essentially designed 2 different wireless split boards and gotten them prototyped and built.  Normally when I work on a project, I know exactly what I'm working toward, but with this, technical limitations had me going back to the drawing board every week.

However, with that said, the Boardrun is pretty much ready for GB, which frees me up to work on the Bireme again.  I have a renewed spirit and I think I have a solid vision of what the board should be.  I just wanted to post a quick update to let you all know that the board WILL be coming, I haven't given up on it, and I will have a more detailed engineering update for you shortly.

And this time, I'm not cutting any corners to the design :) Trust me when I say I'm putting my full effort into this board.

If you want real time updates as to what's going on with the board, please join the Panc x Shens discord and chat with me!  We love to discuss all things Ergo on my server, and I love your feedback.  I believe that we're making keyboards together as a community, and want as much of your feedback as possible.  Every wacky idea will be entertained :)

> Every wacky idea will be entertained :)

Can... can it have a trackball?

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 10:53:56 »
Hi all,

> Every wacky idea will be entertained :)

Can... can it have a trackball?

I can add some extra pinouts for unused pins on the microcontroller so that you can hand wire one in for yourself :) I will add that to the to-do list!!

Offline YMwoo

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 18:24:13 »
Just wondering about two things:
  • Effective range of the wireless
  • Final decision of what type of battery used and if applicable, how to change it?

Offline Koniotaur

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 04:51:27 »
Just wondering about two things:
  • Effective range of the wireless
  • Final decision of what type of battery used and if applicable, how to change it?

"There will be a JST connector
Regardless of whatever way we go, there will be a JST connecctor"
Shensmobile once said that on the discord.

Offline gecruz

« Reply #64 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 21:02:05 »
I'm ready for this

Offline LuKey

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 18:06:26 »
Loving the design of the Bireme, but I am worried it may never materialize.  Shensmobile, is there anything that we can do to help wrap up your excellent efforts on this? As much as I would like to see adjustable tent angles and wired options and so on, the thing that I need most is a truly ergonomic keyboard layout. The layout you have planned looks terrific. I don't mind figuring out what I need to do for wrist pads or angled supports for tenting at steeper angles and whatever else I want to try with it.

Offline 4Holo

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 13:01:49 »
waiting on this project! any news?

Offline ryukomatoi

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 15:16:16 »

Yeah, I'm hoping for news as well. This is a very interesting project but from what I have learned from other wireless split ergo builders is that Bluetooth and QMK does not get along very well (latency, flashing issues, etc). I have ordered a split wireless ergo from Southpaw Designs which uses a USB receiver instead which eliminates these issues.

If this project were to keep going, I'd love to get my hands on these. These are dream specs.

Offline 4Holo

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 20:53:50 »

Yeah, I'm hoping for news as well. This is a very interesting project but from what I have learned from other wireless split ergo builders is that Bluetooth and QMK does not get along very well (latency, flashing issues, etc). I have ordered a split wireless ergo from Southpaw Designs which uses a USB receiver instead which eliminates these issues.

same I would like to see Gasket mount on this board thought!

If this project were to keep going, I'd love to get my hands on these. These are dream specs.

Offline MdotMaxson

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 10:52:35 »
I second, or third, or tenth whatever everyone else is saying. I don’t even want a boardrun after seeing this.

Offline riterdando

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 16:22:10 »
I am also waiting for this!

Offline Zytyx

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 15:41:31 »
Rest in peace.

Offline MdotMaxson

« Reply #72 on: Sat, 24 October 2020, 02:51:26 »
Rest in peace.

Sadly sounds true. Dud board run ever happen or was shens like the only person under age 80 to die of corona

Offline callmetal

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 24 October 2020, 05:54:58 »
OP isn't dead. The project is dead.

Offline wantsabireme

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 08 November 2020, 16:54:38 »
Who says the project is dead? Where was that announced?

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 08 November 2020, 23:54:46 »

Rest in peace.

Sadly sounds true. Dud board run ever happen or was shens like the only person under age 80 to die of corona

Hi all,

Yes I unfortunately have to step away from this project.  Since most of the discussion is done on Discord (I rarely ever visit GH), I forgot to make an update here.

The gist of it is that my work life is burning me out.  I'm exhausted every day after work and the difficulties with the Bireme (have never been able to be happy with it.. always something wrong that makes me second guess if it's ready for prime time) have actually made me back off from doing keyboard projects entirely.  The Boardwalk and Boardrun are where I'll draw my legacy in the keyboard community.

To be honest, I'll probably tackle the Bireme again, but only once we have a stable implementation of Bluetooth with QMK.  I've never been a Firmware guy so I've been working with others and our dev cycles never sync'd up.  It was stressful not knowing if my hardware would work properly and the dev costs were starting to add up.  I have 4 or 5 technically functioning prototype PCBs here (both receiver based and standalone BT implementation), but without a firmware that I'm 100% confident in, I don't want to push this board out.

Anyway, I'm sorry to all of those who were interested in the board.  I feel crappy that I have to put the project to rest but I'd rather tell people than leave them unknowing.  I honestly didn't think anybody even cared about it anymore on here so I didn't think to update.  That's my fault, sorry everyone.    I'm not sure how to get the mods attention, but it would be great if someone could close this thread.  I will be re-making it when I'm ready to take another run at it!

Offline wantsabireme

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 17 October 2021, 17:15:37 »

Rest in peace.

Hi all,

Yes I unfortunately have to step away from this project.  Since most of the discussion is done on Discord (I rarely ever visit GH), I forgot to make an update here.

The gist of it is that my work life is burning me out.  I'm exhausted every day after work and the difficulties with the Bireme (have never been able to be happy with it.. always something wrong that makes me second guess if it's ready for prime time) have actually made me back off from doing keyboard projects entirely.  The Boardwalk and Boardrun are where I'll draw my legacy in the keyboard community.

To be honest, I'll probably tackle the Bireme again, but only once we have a stable implementation of Bluetooth with QMK.  I've never been a Firmware guy so I've been working with others and our dev cycles never sync'd up.  It was stressful not knowing if my hardware would work properly and the dev costs were starting to add up.  I have 4 or 5 technically functioning prototype PCBs here (both receiver based and standalone BT implementation), but without a firmware that I'm 100% confident in, I don't want to push this board out.

Anyway, I'm sorry to all of those who were interested in the board.  I feel crappy that I have to put the project to rest but I'd rather tell people than leave them unknowing.  I honestly didn't think anybody even cared about it anymore on here so I didn't think to update.  That's my fault, sorry everyone.    I'm not sure how to get the mods attention, but it would be great if someone could close this thread.  I will be re-making it when I'm ready to take another run at it!

Really sorry to hear that, but I understand. I'm very excited to hear from you again.