Author Topic: [IC] Villainy: Doom tactile switch | Pre-Order Live | Deskmat, & More  (Read 7119 times)

Offline MrEsosmao

Pre-Orders is Live! Click here

CHANGE LOG

June 16, 2022: Pre-Orders are live. Refer to new link above!
June 15, 2022: Been a minute since revising this post. MASSIVE updates have been added since originally posting this IC in April. Currently, waiting for approval to lock this thread and provide update link to the [Preorder and GB] section of GH. Thank you all for the support as well as the vendors who have joined in making this switch an in-stock item.
April 16, 2022: After initial IC feedback, corrections have been fixed to fit more with the intended comic book art theme.

We’re excited to share with you Keebfront's first switch project in the 'Villainy' collection lineup.
Inspired by a vintage comic book villain – we felt this hobby needed some black hats to stir things up.

Move over switch recolors, this switch brings something unique to the market by introducing a new type of PE material called HDPE.
In addition, the bottom housing is made up of Nylon PA6 to create a unique sound.

Don't take our word for it, Maker Mods got a sample to try out and he best described it as:

"In terms of sound signature these are far and away the best tactile switches I own,
and I own like 20k switches HAHA...
I'm just so excited rn these [Doom switches] are honestly game changing."

"Doom switches are the best tactile I’ve tried in 2022!
The HDPE top has a deep, low-pitched sound signature, and these are crazy smooth with zero factory lube!"

Lastly, we're the first to work in collaboration with a new manufacturer to go into large scale production
 with estimated shipping date of late July 2022 to all vendors, in-stock.
Each switch released in the series will include a one-of-a-kind comicbook art illustration packaging
to further bring out the villainy in the switch (and possibly the villain in you).

SWITCH SPECS

Switch type: Tactile
Top housing: HDPE
Bottom housing: Nylon PA6
Stem: POM, Long Pole 13.8mm
Spring: 63.5g two-stage, 18mm
Factory Lubed: No
Manu: Meirun

Est. Ship Date: Late July 2022

Pricing: $0.65 usd/switch
Price may slightly vary per each vendor within their region, etc...
Unique packaging containers comes included when ordering 70+ switches.

PRODUCT SHOWCASE & REVIEWS

video credit: @MakerMods

reel credit: @captain.sterling

DESKMAT

Homefront Invasion Tokyo Deskmat
A compliment accessory to the Villainy series - Doom switch, the packaging design was transferred over to deskmat.
However, instead of the switch, let your keeb be the center piece behind the explosions and rubble buildings.
The goal is that we can receive enough feedback to take into production alongside the Doom switch.
More prototype photos available on the Interest Check page.

VENDORS

CA: Desk Hero
EU: Candy Keys
MX: Switch Club
OCE: Mountain Keyboards
UK: Mech Mods
US: Keebfront

SHOUTOUT/CREDIT

@captain.sterling: for the product photos and video of switch.
@Maker Mods: For the sound test and in-depth switch review.

Pre-order (US): Click Here.
Pre-order (OCE): Click Here.

« Last Edit: Thu, 16 June 2022, 13:51:25 by MrEsosmao »

Offline elais

[IC] DOOM IS UPON US!! Switches
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 April 2022, 21:49:11 »
Cool concept but it feels high key disrespectful to call a switch kf doom and not once acknowledge the MC, doesn't matter how much sense it makes in the context of keebfront this is just icky.

Also where's the switch stem in the top exploded view? Is it spiritual?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 April 2022, 22:08:14 by elais »

Offline MrEsosmao

Re: [IC] DOOM IS UPON US!! Switches
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 April 2022, 21:55:40 »
Cool concept but it feels high key disrespectful to call a switch kf doom and not once acknowledge the MC, doesn't matter how much sense it makes in the context of keebfront this is just icky.

Well in part, it can be seen to some as an homage to your rapper's favorite rapper... but it's really more homage to comic villains like Doctor Doom.
Appreciate the feedback!
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 April 2022, 21:57:53 by MrEsosmao »

Offline Zanhana

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 April 2022, 22:03:34 »
"kF Doom"? the absolute disrespect. disgusting.

Offline pentawater

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 April 2022, 22:05:20 »
April fools was almost 2 weeks ago

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 13 April 2022, 22:39:14 »
the villian man never ran with krills in his hand and won't stop rockin till he clock in a gazillion grand
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 13 April 2022, 22:56:53 »
Inspired by a vintage comic book villain
I dunno man, I think you need to rethink a few things and come back with a new approach here. Whether that means a total redesign of your promotional material, or scrapping the idea entirely is not something I'd want to speak on. As is, it leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

This ain't Doctor Doom's mask, it's MF DOOM's mask. An artist that a lot of people hold dearly, not just in the States either. An artist that passed not long ago, and a lot of people are still mourning. I'm surprised you didn't do your homework well enough to know that it isn't Doctor Doom's mask.

The font you used is more akin to MF DOOM's album covers than it is to any Doctor Doom comic cover.

The kF Doom thing? Regardless of whether or not that's a coincidence, that's a bad ****ing look.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 April 2022, 23:00:15 by Photekq »
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Screen.jing

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 13 April 2022, 23:12:22 »
Too many projects going on at once
Papilio
MF60
Disco
Vlad
Adamo

Offline MrEsosmao

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 13 April 2022, 23:19:51 »
Inspired by a vintage comic book villain
I dunno man, I think you need to rethink a few things and come back with a new approach here. Whether that means a total redesign of your promotional material, or scrapping the idea entirely is not something I'd want to speak on. As is, it leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Show Image

This ain't Doctor Doom's mask, it's MF DOOM's mask. An artist that a lot of people hold dearly, not just in the States either. An artist that passed not long ago, and a lot of people are still mourning. I'm surprised you didn't do your homework well enough to know that it isn't Doctor Doom's mask.

The font you used is more akin to MF DOOM's album covers than it is to any Doctor Doom comic cover.

The kF Doom thing? Regardless of whether or not that's a coincidence, that's a bad ****ing look.

Appreciate your feedback and will strongly consider.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 13 April 2022, 23:28:01 »
Will making an apology for your offensive and incredibly amateur mistake (somehow using MF DOOM's mask by accident) be on your list of considerations? I think you should at least consider removing the image until you sort it out.

Or you just gonna keep up appearances in pursuit of the keyboard $s?
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 April 2022, 23:29:44 by Photekq »
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline MrEsosmao

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 13 April 2022, 23:46:01 »
Will making an apology for your offensive and incredibly amateur mistake (somehow using MF DOOM's mask by accident) be on your list of considerations? I think you should at least consider removing the image until you sort it out.

Or you just gonna keep up appearances in pursuit of the keyboard $s?

The intention was not to offend/disrespect anyone so apologies to those that felt this way. If this does not work for you or others then would it make you feel better if I remove this thread entirely? It's sad to see because the switch being made and materials used is the point of what makes the switch great and would love to share with you.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 April 2022, 20:28:16 by MrEsosmao »

Offline feelingcute

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 14 April 2022, 00:43:11 »
I swear people in this hobby are insane, acting like using MF DOOM as your inspiration for a switch colorscheme is some sort of unforgivable sin. Keep doing you homie, I don't use tactiles but if I did I would pick up a pack of these.

Offline elais

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 14 April 2022, 01:41:32 »
I swear people in this hobby are insane, acting like using MF DOOM as your inspiration for a switch colorscheme is some sort of unforgivable sin. Keep doing you homie, I don't use tactiles but if I did I would pick up a pack of these.
Being inspired by DOOM isn’t the issue here. It’s being inspired by and using his imagery throughout (the font on the announcement, the mask in a picture on the unedited original post, calling the switch kf doom) and pretending like he hadn’t just promoted his material by tying it to a famous artist.

He did what Drop did to Matt3o, flipped a character on the name and tried to sell it as an original idea.

Offline Botty212

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 14 April 2022, 01:59:13 »
no factory lube please or offer a lubed and not lubed option. unless the factory lube is better than the ones on oil kings.
I would rather apply lube by my own instead of needing to relube the inconsistent ones.

Offline Ella

• Why is it called an oven
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 14 April 2022, 04:13:35 »
Mx blacks still unmatched

Offline Mr Chrome

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 14 April 2022, 09:25:45 »
Inspiration(s?) aside, interested in both the manufacturer and material. Lot of interesting combinations in the one switch, so will be good to see how it shakes out.

Factory lubed/hand pre-lubed might not be best for a tactile switch, since you adjust the tactility by lubing so inconsistencies become a bigger problem. The best pre-lubed switches IMO are probably Matcha Lattes, and even linear they still have enough inconsistencies to offer B-stock sales.
“This plastic rectangle is alright. The plastic rectangles on top of it, though...”

Offline WHAT!?

• WHAT!?
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 14 April 2022, 11:18:10 »
Well, I am OUTRAGED that this isn't a reference to my favorite video game. Just so plumb angry am I. Offended to.

Really upset.

This niche within a niche within a niche didn't consider my feelings at all.

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 14 April 2022, 11:27:40 »

Well in part, it can be seen to some as an homage to your rapper's favorite rapper... but it's really more homage to comic villains like Doctor Doom.
Appreciate the feedback!
Sorry, what does Talib Kweli have to do with this switch?

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 14 April 2022, 19:39:40 »
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline berto

• play more promode
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 14 April 2022, 23:01:47 »
yikes...

Offline MrEsosmao

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 14 April 2022, 23:23:06 »
Sorry, what does Talib Kweli have to do with this switch?

Yeah, you pronounce my name (Kweli), any questions?
I bring many blessings with my man Hi-Tek and he from the Natti (Natti)

Offline Applet

Re: [IC] Doom Switches | UPDATE
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 15 April 2022, 02:09:51 »
Still bummed GMK DOOM didn't work out

Offline MrEsosmao

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 15 April 2022, 15:49:07 »
Inspiration(s?) aside, interested in both the manufacturer and material. Lot of interesting combinations in the one switch, so will be good to see how it shakes out.

Factory lubed/hand pre-lubed might not be best for a tactile switch, since you adjust the tactility by lubing so inconsistencies become a bigger problem. The best pre-lubed switches IMO are probably Matcha Lattes, and even linear they still have enough inconsistencies to offer B-stock sales.

Have to agree with you here, figured I'd mention it in the post to get further validation. Based off the IC submissions seems like majority are in consensus.  I'll post an update soon as we start running through the samples. Thanks for your feedback and interest! Super excited to have a sound test.

Offline MrEsosmao

Change Log:
>>Review updated post. Massive updates, Vendors confirmed, and more!

Offline ankit

• Formerly ankit-sachdeva
Re: [IC] Villainy: Doom tactile switch | Pre-Order Live | Deskmat, & More
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 16 June 2022, 13:18:36 »
deleted -- I'm stupid
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 June 2022, 13:48:17 by ankit-sachdeva »
collection:
More
  Daal, Emp Mini, HHKB x5, Horsey, Prophet, RS60, Seis Cero, Unikorn, Pixy Mini

Offline MrEsosmao

Re: [IC] Villainy: Doom tactile switch | Pre-Order Live | Deskmat, & More
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 16 June 2022, 13:34:50 »
Alright idk anything about the while drama going on but even as a which these seem like a waste of plastic.

Please no more 0.65 long pole tecsee tactiles.

If you had read the Specs at all you will see it's a new manu - Meirun.