Author Topic: Watches!  (Read 45885 times)

Offline 1839cc

Re: Watches!
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 14:59:09 »
Most mechanicals are automatic, or self winding. Hand winding is mostly seen in vintage or super high end watches anymore. I don't know why.
i have seen unix admins with john deere trucker hats, and even seen a man in a nascar shirt correct a passerby's klingon.

Offline ducatisteve

« Reply #101 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 14:59:52 »
The Seiko 007 is an automatic movement that winds itself while you wear it.  You can't manually wind it.  If I don't wear it for a couple days it will stop, but a quick shake brings it back.  A bonus is that it will never need a battery replacement!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 15:02:25 »
Crap, now I have to put more thought into this... Well, I would like to wear it every day, but I can't guarantee that I'll remember to. But I think if it lasts a couple days, that is reasonable. Do they retain time well enough?

Offline ducatisteve

« Reply #103 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 15:11:56 »
About once a month I'll notice that my watch is lagging a minute or so.  Usually I don't care enough to fix it until it's 3-4 minutes off.  I guess if I needed to be that precise in my timing in life I'd get one of those nifty solar/atomic G-Shocks.  Now that I think about it, I kind of want one of those anyway....

Offline 1839cc

« Reply #104 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 15:41:09 »
Quartz is always going to be more accurate. Those Eco-drives should last at least ten years before you have to think about maintenance of the solar capacitor. Mechanicals drift more and need periodic cleaning and service too.

Both of the ones I posted are hand-winding and cost me $30 or less.
i have seen unix admins with john deere trucker hats, and even seen a man in a nascar shirt correct a passerby's klingon.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 09:11:04 »
wearing the $10 wonderwatch today. doesn't look 'nice' but it sure doesn't look tacky :D
Show Image

looks alot nicer than most of the watches posted in this thread imo

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #106 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 11:06:29 »
I like to press the skin tag on my wrist together so that it stands upright, and have it act as a sundial. Then I yell at strangers about mustard.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 11:32:21 »
What kind of Casio is that? Wonderwatch doesn't produce results.

Offline Dgsbllx

« Reply #108 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 11:36:29 »
What kind of Casio is that? Wonderwatch doesn't produce results.

I have one too. In the UK its called MQ-24-7BLL but the US seems the same without the LL - MQ-24-7b (at least according to amazon). You also have the option of the 7e with no numbers on the face as well  :cool:

Amazon link; http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=casio+MQ-24-7BLL&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Acasio+MQ-24-7BLL

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 12:31:51 »
^Sweet! Thanks for the link.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #110 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 17:32:29 »
yeah you can also buy it for 3x the price at urban outfitters or american apparel :))
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #111 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 17:33:53 »
yeah you can also buy it for 3x the price at urban outfitters or american apparel :))

yeah but then you get to be served by some super cool hipster.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 09:45:36 »

yeah but then you get to be served by some super cool hipster.
Sounds worth it to me. And is it not really hipsterish until I overpay? Or is it supposed to be cheap?

Offline RougeR

« Reply #113 on: Fri, 15 March 2013, 12:21:25 »
C-c-can i play now?
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #114 on: Fri, 15 March 2013, 16:42:28 »
Can't compete with that ^ but here's my one and only watch.

15839-0

Offline 1839cc

« Reply #115 on: Fri, 15 March 2013, 17:05:21 »
RougeR, that is such a classic. I almost got one about a year ago, but ended up with a DW-5600 instead.

Offline RougeR

« Reply #116 on: Fri, 15 March 2013, 22:04:14 »
my dad used to have one, found it lulzy that it was known for use among terrorist groups(think i saw this a few years back), so ive picked one up newish for 5gbp shipped. dont normally wear watches, but i will need to start in orded to cover a tattoo
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #117 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 16:58:22 »
i could use a watch.... looking at my cell phone all the time kind of looks silly in certain situations.

not so related note, i love how my infiniti g37 has an analog clock instead of a digital one :)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #118 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 17:21:26 »
but i will need to start in orded to cover a tattoo
if you're going to cover it up you're not ready to have it
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #119 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 22:54:44 »
My humble collection.  Top left is a Montres Allison Limited 2002 (real one - had them confirm it).  My favorite is in the bottom right - a 1952 Seiko Sport that my Dad got when he was in Vietnam.  It has the original crystal and band (although it is a bit worn), and the day and time are in Japanese  :D.   I really like Seiko as you can tell from my collection and have just the single Invicta in the center top as I thought it looked nice. 

16115-0
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline shawn o

« Reply #120 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 23:05:05 »
Mine. Wear the Omega 99% of the time.

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #121 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 23:11:39 »
Hm, I have my Omega too........ I leave it in a box only for important events.......the damn leather strap wears out eh :))

Offline RougeR

« Reply #122 on: Thu, 21 March 2013, 11:35:07 »
but i will need to start in orded to cover a tattoo
if you're going to cover it up you're not ready to have it

well seeing as a lot of office jobs in IT/Networking dont like tattoos, then its likely i will cover it up for a while. and im going to be doing a fair few interviews as well.
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline RougeR

« Reply #123 on: Fri, 22 March 2013, 18:21:02 »
finally got here
5gbp shipped :)
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #124 on: Fri, 22 March 2013, 18:23:44 »
I have the same watch, in pink

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #125 on: Fri, 22 March 2013, 18:25:11 »
finally got here
5gbp shipped :)
Show Image

Found one of those in a CoD's I bought years ago, still have in somewhere :)
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #126 on: Fri, 22 March 2013, 18:29:41 »
Mine. Wear the Omega 99% of the time.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Mmm, dat Tag.

I almost picked up one of these when I bought my wedding/engagement set (glad I dodged that bullet) -

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #127 on: Fri, 22 March 2013, 18:38:47 »
I know to true watch collectors, Tag isn't anything special. But the Carrera is my dream watch. Matches my Tag glasses perfectly. It's sporty and formal at the same time.

Looking for CC's!

Offline Henkers

• Youtube
« Reply #128 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 14:27:02 »

Nixon - The mellor

wow I love that watch :o

Offline iri

« Reply #129 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 22:05:32 »
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 00:23:36 »
If anyone wants to add a Breitling to their collection, woot.com is having a sale on some: http://www.woot.com/plus/breitling-watches.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #131 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 02:04:45 »
I Must Not Take Out A loan...

Offline iri

« Reply #132 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 03:19:58 »
never understood why people would want breitling watches
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #133 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 07:59:24 »
I just realized that I don't think I'd ever want to spend thousands on a watch. Like, what if I scratch it? I would be devastated...

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #134 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 08:00:58 »
I just realized that I don't think I'd ever want to spend thousands on a watch. Like, what if I scratch it? I would be devastated...

Hm, what about your keyboards? :p :p

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #135 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 08:18:09 »
Different. A keyboard is something I put my hands on all day, so I would expect it to take some damage. But a watch? All it does it sit pretty on your wrist...

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #136 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 08:20:56 »
Different. A keyboard is something I put my hands on all day, so I would expect it to take some damage. But a watch? All it does it sit pretty on your wrist...

Well, reserved for those who can scratch it without looking back :p

Not something I can do either

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #137 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 08:52:52 »

Supposedly, they come with a helicopter button.

Most of the insane expensive watches are super durable, from what I've seen.

And answer the most asked philosophical question of our time "What time *is* it?"

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #138 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 08:56:26 »
And answer the most asked philosophical question of our time "What time *is* it?"
Ha, watches haven't done that in years. Have you ever looked at your watch to check the time, and look away, and realize you didn't even see what time it is? More often than not, it's easier to pull your phone out of your pocket. Or even more often, the dang thing is already in your hands!

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #139 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 09:01:12 »
Ha, watches haven't done that in years. Have you ever looked at your watch to check the time, and look away, and realize you didn't even see what time it is? More often than not, it's easier to pull your phone out of your pocket. Or even more often, the dang thing is already in your hands!

I do the same thing with my cell phone.  "What time is it?" /look at phone without processing a single thing on the screen and put back in pocket "What time is it?"

But it's why I didn't buy a new watch when my last one broke, but there's something noble and sophisticated about watches to me.  I think we can agree that the craftsmanship of even a triple digit watch well outpaces a cell phone.  Cell phones = disposable.  Watches (especially the caliber we're talking)= heirlooms.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #140 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 09:02:13 »
And that's the sole reason I would want a watch. Definitely not to tell the time.

Also, I'm not sure that I consider cell phones to be disposable. At least not until it's time for a new one. A cell phone is so much to me. I never use it to call people, ironically(?), but it's a computer in my hand that allows me to easily communicate with people, and that's what I use it for, all day. More often than not, I'm on my phone. When I'm at home, and you see me on this site, very rarely is it on an actual computer/laptop.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 March 2013, 09:04:56 by esoomenona »

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 09:10:04 »
Watches are the new jewellery  ;D

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #142 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 09:11:30 »

Just in case you want to fly to the moon and need to know all kinds of pointless **** by the glace of a wrist I guess?

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #143 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 09:13:09 »
Huh, I usually wear a watch to tell the time when I'm out and about. I find it much easier to glance at my wrist to tell the time rather than getting my phone out of my pocket, especially if it's buried under one or more layers of clothing during winter.
I also don't have the non-processing issue often when I look at my watch, but the amount of times I've looked at my phone to check the time, don't actually process the information and then have to check again is baffling.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #144 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 09:15:59 »
Huh, I usually wear a watch to tell the time when I'm out and about. I find it much easier to glance at my wrist to tell the time rather than getting my phone out of my pocket, especially if it's buried under one or more layers of clothing during winter.
I also don't have the non-processing issue often when I look at my watch, but the amount of times I've looked at my phone to check the time, don't actually process the information and then have to check again is baffling.

Can agree with that. Though I prefer my watches to have clean lines, I really can't abide massive gordy watches with millions of dials or just offensive levels of 'bling'.

Offline iri

« Reply #145 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 11:00:22 »
Supposedly, they come with a helicopter button.
i'd rather buy a used mi-8 for the price of a breitling. too few lifts in russia; heli-skiing helps.

More often than not, it's easier to pull your phone out of your pocket
than to look at your wrist?

-Ray Bradbury

Offline viowastaken

« Reply #146 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 11:31:07 »
My main pieces:

Jaeger Lecoultre Reverso Grande Taille

Rolex Submariner dateless

Raketa 24hr

Casio calculator watch (not depicted)

The watch box is a Reiner box, ultra high quality, super pleased with it.

Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Cherry MX Brown with Ducky thick PBT white/grey

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline mikelanding

« Reply #147 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 11:32:09 »
This is mine.

Blue Lume
HHKB Type-S | Kinesis Advantage | Maltron 3D 2Hand | Ergodox (62g ErgoClear)

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #148 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 14:09:11 »
Love the blue lume!

Latest purchase:

KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #149 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 20:28:27 »
All these fancy watches, I'm jealous! I dream of owning a Rolex Submariner someday, but since I don't have that kind of money nor do I really need something that formal right now, I'm looking at upgrading from my Casio Pathfinder to a Suunto Core.