geekhack Community > Reviews

KBT Pure Aluminum Case Review

(1/7) > >>

Dubsgalore:
Just received my second mechanical Keyboard; the KBT Pure with MX Black Switches. I have spent nearly 2 months with a DAS with Brown Switches and needed a keyboard that had leds and quieter switches for night gaming, which was perfect, and i wanted a more portable keyboard that i could take with me to school when i needed to, so this all worked out great. There was a lot of stress in picking between reds and blacks, because those where my two options when it came to switches. i was set on a quieter switch and these two came to mind. after getting the wasd sampler kit, i felt that reds were too light and ordered blacks and i was quite nervous that i would miss the tactileness of browns too much. This was not the case at all. i really enjoy the force required to press the keys with the black switches. really nice feeling to them and it feels more satisfying to me to type then on the browns. i do miss the tactile feeling, but it really isn't bad not typing on them. before ordering, i had heard that blacks feel too much like rubber domes and this is not the case at all.
As for the keyboard's layout, i really like it so far. People complain of an 'odd fn layout' but i really dont mind it. it is my first keyboard that has the 'fn' option so i really don't have much to compare to it. I really like how compact and small the keyboard is. The DAS is obviously a full sized mechanical and i felt i didn't ever use the numpad, as i mainly game on it, so a tkl or 75% or 60% would be required for this second purchase. i really think 75% layouts look ugly with the small arrowkeys and small right shift key all mushed together in the bottom right so it would be 60% or tkl for me honestly. regardless i really like the 60% layout of the pure and don't have many problems with it. The Aluminum case is really nice. Obviously higher build quality then an original plastic casing, and it looks great too. i love how you can see the circuit board underneath the switches, and it kinda has a barebones look to it. ****ing sexy. 
the LEDs are great. it was really nice to come from the unmarked DAS to the bright LEDs on the pure. they really help at night time (obviously) and the keyboard includes a cool 'pulse' mode. i mainly either have the LEDs on max or switch them off, depending on the time of day. My one single problem with the keyboard is something i might not even encounter. Replacement keycaps. i can't find any backlit keycaps anywhere on the internet at all, so i think i am stuck with these stock ones. which isn't a problem, just something i am thinking about for the future. i think normal keycaps that dont have backlit compatibility look kinda ****ty and unnatural. i think it defeats the purpose of having an LED keyboard. regardless i did find replacements at mechanicalkeyboards. com so i can in the future get replacements for this keyboard.
I haven't spent a ton of time with the board, but so far i am really enjoying it. I think as i spend more time i will have a better understanding for the keyboard and the switches but for now i am really enjoying it. I am going to give it a 9.5/10. i don't have much to compare the keyboard to, but i like it much more then the DAS (which would probably get an 8.5/10). really awesome keyboard and i love every opportunity to use it!

here is the gallery from my reddit post from when i got it. if you want more pics, i can post more! http://imgur.com/a/y6rch

orlando:
Glad you are enjoying it ... I picked one up for myself (mx red) and can't wait for it to arrive. I intend to put the toxic set from this current group buy on it http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38241.0 ! I feel like the green lights will compliment the keys nicely even if it doesn't fully shine through.

Dubsgalore:

--- Quote from: orlando on Sat, 09 March 2013, 01:27:04 ---Glad you are enjoying it ... I picked one up for myself (mx red) and can't wait for it to arrive. I intend to put the toxic set from this current group buy on it http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38241.0 ! I feel like the green lights will compliment the keys nicely even if it doesn't fully shine through.

--- End quote ---

yeah i think for me, i'm just going to have to find the right set of keycaps. maybe over time i will find a set i really like. who knows. let me know how you like the pure!

tp4tissue:
does the case offer increased rigidity in typing experience.

Dubsgalore:

--- Quote from: tp4tissue on Sun, 10 March 2013, 20:34:59 ---does the case offer increased rigidity in typing experience.

--- End quote ---

if you mean more stiff/steady then i would say so. coming from browns to blacks, the blacks feel more tight and obviously require more force to press down. i really enjoy blacks more then browns so far but miss the tactile feeling. so i would say yes to your rigidity question.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version