Author Topic: The BlackWing - Custom  (Read 6570 times)

Offline Mad_Maxx

The BlackWing - Custom
« on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 11:36:55 »
Here's a build that I've slowly been working on this summer.

The Background
I have an Alps ErgoDox, and have liked that so far, but I wanted something a little more portable, plus the split hand thing just feels weird.
Enter the Atreus. Awesome board, awesome concept. Only problem was I couldn't get past not having pinky modifiers, so I just decided to design something of my own.

The Design
I initially started from the ground up, only adding keys as I deemed completely necessary. I quickly noticed that my design strongly resembled the Atreus anyway. Eventually, after extensive iPad prototyping, I got to this:
104953-0

The B in the middle is supposed to be shift. One or two other minor changes as well I think, but the concept is there.

Decided I liked it, so I got autodesk and designed the plate:
104955-1

Got the plate cut at Big Blue Saw:
104957-2

Switches fit well, and I was overall happy with the results. Only problem is that there is a slight notch in the bottom left hand side. Not a huge deal, but its an easily noticeable flaw.

The Build
I got some gateron blacks from massdrop. After using the hhkb for a while, I really gained an appreciation for linear switches. I had heard a lot about the gaterons, so why not. I didn't know what to do with myself while I was waiting for the plate to be cut, so in my yearning I bought a set of white DSAs from SP. Huge mistake. Def should have gone with black. Which is fine, since I ordered some black blanks from Ivan's gb. So all i gotta do is wait.

Started wiring this bad boy up.
Rows and columns:
104959-3

Teensy:
104961-4
104963-5
104965-6

The soldering itself is not pretty, but I was proud that I was able to keep almost everything below the height of the switch pins. Took for freaking ever.

Modified and loaded the firmware, but unfortunately, one switch does not work, and the shift key is always pressed down, so I'll be working on that for the rest of the day.

The Case:
I wanted to try and make something really unique. I love wood cases, but I haven't seen that many, so thats the route I chose. I have little experience with woodworking, and limited access to the tools that I need, so this has been an exercise in frustration.

I feel like many of the wooden cases that I've seen are sub-par at best, and so I'm trying my best to make something exceptional. My best is not that good unfortunately. I started with the idea to make a one-piece case. It didn't seem to difficult, but it's not something that I've really seen. I didn't have access to any CNC stuff, so I made it with a plunge router. I used one of those square bits with ring on the end (idk these wood-fangled terms) to do the non-linear parts of the edges, but the rest is all freehand. With some chop saw thrown in. I'm three or four iterations in at this point.

I haven't really documented the process, so all I have is a picture in its current state:
104967-7
104969-8

I now have much more time to be working on this, so I hope to have it done in the next week or two.

More to come soon ;)

Bad switches is the only thing that I like

Offline Mad_Maxx

Re: The BlackWing - Custom
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 11:40:51 »
Reserved Post:
Finally got this thing done. Got everything in place and screwed in. I don't have great pictures, but here's how the project ended up.

112538-0
112540-1
112542-2

It was a ton of fun making this, and I learned a lot. I'll probably end up selling this, due to previously posted reasons, but the project was definitely worth it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 October 2015, 15:29:16 by Mad_Maxx »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 12:15:16 »
Interesting build so far. I'm looking forward to seeing the board assembled!

Curious that the HHKB led you to liking linear switches. HHKB is Topre and are tactile.

Offline Mad_Maxx

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 15:34:48 »
Interesting build so far. I'm looking forward to seeing the board assembled!

Soon^tm

Curious that the HHKB led you to liking linear switches. HHKB is Topre and are tactile.

Yeah isn't that weird? I had the hhkb for 4 months or something like that, and while it was super satisfying, it wasn't what I was looking for. It might have been the bounciness of it? Idk. Something about it just made me like blacks way more. Reds are still too light, but I like that with blacks it feels so responsive (tactile without the bump if you will [ik that doesnt make sense..... but it does]), and that I don't have to worry as much about bottoming out.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 16:51:20 »
After using topre for a few months I went from hating linear to loving linear. I think it has to do with how subtle the bump is on topre. This board looks pretty cool and I've always wanted to try a non staggered layout. We should totally trade boards when I get back to tech so I can give it a test run.  ;)
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 July 2015, 16:53:48 by Joey Quinn »
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline shaymdev

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 17:16:56 »
Looking pretty sweet! I like the idea of a one price wooden case. Having just started doing a bit of free hand router like work on my custom build I can appreciate the need to have several iterations to get it right!

Your wiring job also looks very tidy and nice to me... But I guess I'm about as rookie as they come so maybe my opinion doesn't count for much.

Keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 July 2015, 17:31:49 by shaymdev »

Offline Mad_Maxx

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 20:51:49 »
After using topre for a few months I went from hating linear to loving linear. I think it has to do with how subtle the bump is on topre. This board looks pretty cool and I've always wanted to try a non staggered layout. We should totally trade boards when I get back to tech so I can give it a test run.  ;)

Haha I don't know how going back to a standard layout will be, but ill give it a shot.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 20:58:10 »

Haha I don't know how going back to a standard layout will be, but ill give it a shot.
I've got my own custom ergo board plans.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Mad_Maxx

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 09:01:33 »
ITS. ALIIIIIIIIVEE??

105028-0

Got the firmware working, and am currently typing on it?? // also i haven't mapped special characters yet so consider any "?" an exclamation point for now...

Dremeled out the spot for the breakout board, and unfortunately had to sand down the tabs of wood that are showing in the corners. I thought that I would be able to route them so that they would be flush with the board, and make a nice even top surface, but i messed it up, and it was too late to start over, so I'm just going to leave it stepped for now.

The rough sanding on the case is almost done, so now all I have to do is finish it and stain it. Couple more small changes, and itll be good to go?

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 09:16:12 »
I love how you say you don't even know the terms for the tools you used, yet this thing comes out very nice. I doubt I'd ever be able to use it, but more power to you. Cool build.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Mad_Maxx

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 12:35:51 »
I love how you say you don't even know the terms for the tools you used, yet this thing comes out very nice. I doubt I'd ever be able to use it, but more power to you. Cool build.

Haha just takes time I guess. This would probably be a lot easier if I knew more about what tools would work best for each task, but for now I'll have to stick with trial and error.

It is a bit of a hassle to be relearning layouts, but I'm not getting paid this summer, so no need for efficiency. Thanks!

Offline Mad_Maxx

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 19:53:00 »
More or less done with sanding. (not a ton a ton of difference).
105614-0

Planning on starting to finish it with tung oil tomorrow. Anyone have any tips or recommendations?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 16:16:18 »
Planning on starting to finish it with tung oil tomorrow. Anyone have any tips or recommendations?

Look at some of the discussions that nubbinator and The_Beast had. They've done a bit with wood wrist rests and finishes.

Yeah isn't that weird? I had the hhkb for 4 months or something like that, and while it was super satisfying, it wasn't what I was looking for. It might have been the bounciness of it? Idk. Something about it just made me like blacks way more. Reds are still too light, but I like that with blacks it feels so responsive (tactile without the bump if you will [ik that doesnt make sense..... but it does]), and that I don't have to worry as much about bottoming out.

Super weird to me but if it works for you, do you. Glad you figured out what you like with your own testing :).

Build is looking solid. Nice job! Looking forward to the finish on the case.

Offline Mad_Maxx

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 10:30:16 »
Here's the finished case. Four coats of Formbys tung oil finish, applied with 1500 grit sandpaper.
106790-0
106793-1

Heres the plate and case together, with bonus lootkeys OEM icecube from the alpha giveaway!

106795-2

Its a little hard to see with the lighting, but the color is much much darker than the unfinished wood. I'm overall pretty happy with this finish, but I'll probly try a stain and poly finish next time, just for kicks. Also, don't get this stuff on your hands kids. First time gojo has ever failed me.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 09:28:34 »
Looks good finished, great job. It's adorable.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 09:34:31 »
With the shape of it , do you think it would work as a boomerang?

Joke aside, very cool project. Is there somewhere I can read about the layers you're using?
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Mad_Maxx

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 12:33:28 »
Looks good finished, great job. It's adorable.

Thanks! Just gotta get couple little things done, and the screws in, and itll be all done.

With the shape of it , do you think it would work as a boomerang?

Joke aside, very cool project. Is there somewhere I can read about the layers you're using?

Thanks! im still working on the layout, but I'm currently using this:

It's all i have right now, which is the modified keymap from TMK, so sorry if its a little hard to interpret. It's working well so far, but theres a lot of room for improvement.

Offline Mad_Maxx

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 15:34:25 »
I don't know anything about electricity, but it doesn't seem to me that wood and wires mix, so I put a thin neoprene sheet with adhesive backing under the switches, just to be on the maybe slightly safer side.
107159-0
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005I58QF8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 15:58:23 »
Probably not a bad idea but conductivity shouldn't be an issue if the wood is dry. I'm not sure about the tung oil.

Congratulations on a job well done. It looks great.

Good job on the routing also. It is hard to freehand something like that. One thing that helps me is to keep as much wood as possible around the perimeter and route from the inside out to keep a flat reference for the base to work from.

Offline Mad_Maxx

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 12:38:12 »
Probably not a bad idea but conductivity shouldn't be an issue if the wood is dry. I'm not sure about the tung oil.

Congratulations on a job well done. It looks great.

Good job on the routing also. It is hard to freehand something like that. One thing that helps me is to keep as much wood as possible around the perimeter and route from the inside out to keep a flat reference for the base to work from.

The oil is more what I was worried about, yeah. Hopefully it'll be fine now though.
Thanks! The routing was a challenge, but I think that now that i have some experience I should be able to be much more accurate and efficient on my next project.

Offline TomBodet

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 15:48:56 »
(Attachment Link)

It wasn't until this pic in your hand when I realized just how small this thing is.

Very cool!

Offline Mad_Maxx

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 17:34:01 »
Forgot, but I had a couple extra plates made, so pm me if your interested in one for like 35 bucks.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 18:13:51 »
(Attachment Link)

It wasn't until this pic in your hand when I realized just how small this thing is.

Very cool!

Haha. Same. And I don't think it is a case of giant hands, either.

Even gojo didn't get it out? I used that for printmaking with ALL kinds of crazy inks and it never failed.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Mad_Maxx

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 14:28:27 »
(Attachment Link)

Very cool!

Haha. Same. And I don't think it is a case of giant hands, either.

Even gojo didn't get it out? I used that for printmaking with ALL kinds of crazy inks and it never failed.

My hands are fairly standard size, as far as i know.

First time gojo has ever failed me. nasty stuff. im sure you could get it off with gas or mineral spirits or something, but i just used gloves.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 17:32:07 »
Excited to see this in the case, that thing looks hella.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Mad_Maxx

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 15:32:51 »
finally got this done, an updated the reserved post.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 19:01:39 »
This is gorgeous, why have I not seen this before.  So many awesome DIY keyboards floating around, I can't keep track of them all.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing