Author Topic: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)  (Read 4192038 times)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)
« Reply #27450 on: Sun, 08 December 2019, 15:55:13 »
In addition to my fuzzy head and dodgy gut I seem to have an ever increasing amount of gas and it's too cold to have the window properly open.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline iri

« Reply #27451 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 10:03:43 »
I would be sad to give up beer and whiskey forever.
Gluten free beer exists.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #27452 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 18:03:20 »

Gluten free beer exists.

Sure, and I have never tried it, but I like dark heavy hoppy bitter beers, and I think that that is hard to find in GF. Anyway, not my problem.

Although I used to drink Scotch which is almost always barley and perhaps a bit of wheat, I have become more enamored with Bourbon recent years. Technically Bourbon (and its derivatives) can be made out of corn exclusively, although the law allows up to 49% of other grains and most distillers do that. Again, fortunately, not my problem. 
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27453 on: Wed, 11 December 2019, 16:36:22 »
Sat at the train station wet from the rain listening to earphones which were fine 9 hours ago but now the right earpiece is twice as loud as the left (confirmed by swapping the cable)  International warranty claim?  Probably.  It would be at Christmas so delays and losses are most likely because this year's been like that.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27454 on: Wed, 11 December 2019, 17:03:55 »
I'm pretty certain Verizon has made my voicemail box smaller... again.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27455 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 03:05:00 »
Called the doctors to make an appointment as I didn't hear anything about my blood test, was expecting 'possible' or 'not possible' but apparently the result was 'normal'.  Glimmer of hope for improvement by Christmas quashed.

Edit:  Went to the doctor, confirmed they were looking for stuff not doing the DNA test which can actually rule it out.  Result 'normal' means they don't test further but the only pysical advice he gave was to try livng as a coeliac for a month and see if it helps but any accidental gluten would effectively be a reset.  Watch everything you eat over Christmas, the time of year I eat away from home most often - how is that ever supposed to work.  That said he now thinks the physical symptoms are caused by my longstanding 'depression' and took my comment that "this isn't living and if it's not fixed I'll find a bridge" as further proof and gave me a reading list of books on brain function which I doubt I'm capable of understanding them at the moment.

When pressured as to what they're looking for in the CT scan he said there are multiple types of kidney stone and some don't show up on ultrasound scans (then why waste time/money doing one??) and that finding stones wouldn't explain anything other than the initial bleeding.  Yet he assured me they are still looking for a cause...  Do they really think "we're looking for [really bad possibility]" is more upsetting than "we don't know"?  It isn't.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 December 2019, 05:36:46 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27456 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 16:40:59 »
Helpful website have closed my warranty request, apparently volume balance issues are usually due to earwax and that's all the reason they need.  Three montns of use and two of those using comply tsx tips with a built in filter, it's not wax :mad:

Why does no-one take the ramblings of a moron seriously?  Oh...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27457 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 19:50:27 »
Hypothetical:

You like this girl so you ask her out via PM on a social platform. She says yes she'd love to go out with you, but just started a new job and things are crazy (which is true) so some other later time for sure.
Cut to a month later and still nothing. You notice she's creeping on your social profiles recently, but hasn't PM'd or texted you back.
wtf does this mean?

Anyone who has more dating exp (which is probably everyone) care to break this down for an idiot?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #27458 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 00:40:00 »
Hypothetical:

You like this girl so you ask her out via PM on a social platform. She says yes she'd love to go out with you, but just started a new job and things are crazy (which is true) so some other later time for sure.
Cut to a month later and still nothing. You notice she's creeping on your social profiles recently, but hasn't PM'd or texted you back.
wtf does this mean?

Anyone who has more dating exp (which is probably everyone) care to break this down for an idiot?

Just follow up, dude. It ain't rocket science. Ask if now is a good time or would she prefer a later time and, if so, when.

Tell your friend that's my advice.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #27459 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 00:40:45 »
wtf does this mean?

Gotta make it seem like you have options !! Quick Noisyturtles are going fast, only 3 units left, get yours today, don't delay.

In reality, she's probably done some homework on you, and is still undecided.

Females, (at least Educated females), do not see dating the same way as males.

They have a software package to sell, which will become obsolete in time. The dating is the Demo-version, and they have a limited time window to Demo the code to clients, because -typically- it's 1:1.   Of course, more enterprising software females, may run multiple VMs so many prospective buyers can peruse the feature sets/ configurations

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27460 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 02:13:21 »
wtf does this mean?

Gotta make it seem like you have options !! Quick Noisyturtles are going fast, only 3 units left, get yours today, don't delay.

In reality, she's probably done some homework on you, and is still undecided.

Females, (at least Educated females), do not see dating the same way as males.

They have a software package to sell, which will become obsolete in time. The dating is the Demo-version, and they have a limited time window to Demo the code to clients, because -typically- it's 1:1.   Of course, more enterprising software females, may run multiple VMs so many prospective buyers can peruse the feature sets/ configurations

nah dude, this is just a hypothetical

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27461 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 04:32:13 »
I'm broken and no-one seems to have any sympathy or make allowances, or believe it and accept it's a problem let alone cure it.  On Thursday I failed to find the off button at work, the one I've pressed at least 200 times yet a colleague just laughed and consoled me 'nevermind, it's nearly Christmas' as if that makes the slightest bit of difference.  Doctors said “don't know, can't help, have an inexplicable/pointless scan” and “not saying it's all in your head but ... read some books on overcoming anxiety”, my mum still says “surely you're not that stupid” most days and my cousin who went through a long illness last year thinks I'm just getting old.

I've been 'depressed' and struggled to feel capable of being understood for as long as I can remember and this is taking everything to the next level.  I'm starting to question whether I can trust my own mind or if my cognitive function is impaired and this problem (which is constantly evident and had a clear start complete with ongoing physical symptoms) really is all in my head, or the start of natural decline.  If you can't trust your own mind what can you trust?
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline iri

« Reply #27462 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 06:59:46 »
I'm broken and no-one seems to have any sympathy or make allowances, or believe it and accept it's a problem let alone cure it.  On Thursday I failed to find the off button at work, the one I've pressed at least 200 times yet a colleague just laughed and consoled me 'nevermind, it's nearly Christmas' as if that makes the slightest bit of difference.  Doctors said “don't know, can't help, have an inexplicable/pointless scan” and “not saying it's all in your head but ... read some books on overcoming anxiety”, my mum still says “surely you're not that stupid” most days and my cousin who went through a long illness last year thinks I'm just getting old.

I've been 'depressed' and struggled to feel capable of being understood for as long as I can remember and this is taking everything to the next level.  I'm starting to question whether I can trust my own mind or if my cognitive function is impaired and this problem (which is constantly evident and had a clear start complete with ongoing physical symptoms) really is all in my head, or the start of natural decline.  If you can't trust your own mind what can you trust?
How old are you?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #27463 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 07:38:05 »
@suicidal_orange: Do you know exactly which tests have been done?
If there is one thing I've learned about doctors, is that you can't rely on them. You have to educate yourself and take responsibility for your health yourself.
Learn which tests need to be done, and pressure/manipulate your doctors to get them done!

Also, always read the fine print on the what side-effects the drugs you take have. Then choose not to take them if the side-effects start to become overwhelming. I once didn't with pain medication after surgery, instead trusting words my doctor had said ("Oh, don't worry about that pain. That's normal") and I got an ulcer and heart burn for years afterwards as a result.

Let me ask again: Have you checked the colour of your stool?
Have you done a "blood count" test? And in that case, what did that show?
When I suffered from anemia, my cognitive functions were seriously impaired, like what you described.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 December 2019, 07:40:41 by Findecanor »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27464 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 07:40:50 »

This sounds like the speech an AI would make near the end of its processing capacity, before it overloads.

What has caused you to reflect so much internally, are you in any physical danger due to these stutters in thought.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27465 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 12:10:56 »
How old are you?

34.  Had to consult an online age checker to be sure but I got my age wrong at 23ish while getting ID'd for alcohol so that's nothing new.  It also said I'm 414 months old which means I've now been ill with this for over 1% of my life.  Nice.

@suicidal_orange: Do you know exactly which tests have been done?
Not really.  They did a blood test to check for infection and recently they were looking for gluten related antibodies (or whatever gets raised sometimes if you have a problem with gluten) and also "I usually forget about pancreas... Oh no, I did tick it" so that sounds like blood sugar.  They've had 6 vials of blood so I guess there are three more tests, though possibly they're repeats.

If there is one thing I've learned about doctors, is that you can't rely on them. You have to educate yourself and take responsibility for your health yourself.
Learn which tests need to be done, and pressure/manipulate your doctors to get them done!

Also, always read the fine print on the what side-effects the drugs you take have.
The problem with this is defining the problem.  Let's try and make a table (what a stupid idea - these are a nightmare!)

SymptomLots of blood in urine
along with sharp pain
"Cure"Antibiotics A
Possible cause
(reason to doubt it)
Kidney stone
(didn't feel it until it was nearly out,
none visible on ultrasound)
UTI
(supposed to feel ill, I felt great)
??
SymptomsExtreme retardation mentally
(stuggled to find words,
said words in wrong order,
Saw no hands trying to play poker)
Tiredness
Loss of coordination
Broken temperature sensing
Possible cause?? as above -
one big problem
Side effects of antibiotics A
SymptomSwolen knee"Cure"Antibiotics B
Possible cause
(reason to doubt it)
?? as above -
one big problem
(Strange mix...)
Side effects of antibiotics A
(doctor said knee isn't the right kind of infection)
Kneeling too much
(I don't think I did)
SymptomUTI"Cure"Antibiotic C
Possible cause
(reason to doubt it)
?? as above -
one big problem
??2 - connected to initial problem but
not connected to knee
Side effects of antibiotics ASide effects of antibiotics B
SymptomOngoing mental fuzziness,
mild hangover like headache
Possible cause
(reason to doubt it)
?? as above -
one big problem
??2 as above -
one big problem, knee separate
Side effects of antibiotics
A, B, C, A+B, A+B+C, A+C or B+C
Ongoing mental issues
(Why now?  Was on the up and
physically best condition ever)
SymptomStomach-ish weirdness
Possible cause
(reason to doubt it)
?? as above -
one big problem
??2 as above -
one big problem, knee separate
Side effects of antibiotics
A, B, C, A+B, A+B+C, A+C or B+C
(Seems unlikely months later)

Only antibiotics A had rare-but-scary permanent side effects but they sounded a lot like the common ones, which sound quite like the symptoms of having an infection...
Also I had two days with a clear head shortly after finishing antibiotic B which is unexplained.

Now put yourself back in retard mode, where do you even begin researching?

Let me ask again: Have you checked the colour of your stool?
Have you done a "blood count" test? And in that case, what did that show?
When I suffered from anemia, my cognitive functions were seriously impaired, like what you described.
I have, it's random consistency and ranges from orange to nearly green depending on diet - as usual.  I will phone the doctor on Monday and hopefully they will be willing to tell me if they've checked for anemia, if I weren't stupid I would have remembered to ask.

This sounds like the speech an AI would make near the end of its processing capacity, before it overloads.

What has caused you to reflect so much internally, are you in any physical danger due to these stutters in thought.

Feels like it too, easily done when some fool's trying to run it on a 486!

Aside from riding a bike with the handlebars not attached and with a sharp knife in my pocket pointing down my leg I think I'm safe physically, though I did nearly get hit off my bike by a big white van this week.  I'm not allowing myself to drive so that helps.  I know I'm crap at work and if I make a mistake it could easily cost six figures and result in me getting fired, I've made three such mistakes so far and been lucky each time.  I'm so retarded I don't care enough to worry about it (the van incident or losing my job) and that in itself is worrying.  The reflections are because I've always said if I'm not 95% capable and self reliant I'll kill myself and at the moment I'm not even close.  The longer it goes on the more likely it feels like it will be permanent and that in time this will be "normal" and I won't know any better and then what?

Usually when I get in a reflective downward spiral I will do or buy something but I just don't have the mental capacity and buying incompatible things or breaking stuff trying to do isn't going to improve my mental state.  I should be doing Christmas but having bought six cards where two are duplicates (one exactly) this just reminds me how crap I am, so I'm avoiding it.  But I'm not going to get any better in time so this strategy is doomed.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline iri

« Reply #27466 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 12:38:16 »
How old are you?

I'm sorry that you are going through all this, but it's not age related.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27467 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 13:10:45 »

Feels like it too, easily done when some fool's trying to run it on a 486!

Aside from riding a bike with the handlebars not attached and with a sharp knife in my pocket pointing down my leg I think I'm safe physically, though I did nearly get hit off my bike by a big white van this week.  I'm not allowing myself to drive so that helps.  I know I'm crap at work and if I make a mistake it could easily cost six figures and result in me getting fired, I've made three such mistakes so far and been lucky each time.  I'm so retarded I don't care enough to worry about it (the van incident or losing my job) and that in itself is worrying.  The reflections are because I've always said if I'm not 95% capable and self reliant I'll kill myself and at the moment I'm not even close.  The longer it goes on the more likely it feels like it will be permanent and that in time this will be "normal" and I won't know any better and then what?

Usually when I get in a reflective downward spiral I will do or buy something

Is there any chance you can get a long vacation, seems like you need to stay a month w/ grandma-grandpa.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #27468 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 08:06:27 »
My reflux and throat problems are back. Got worse because I participated in Christmas dinner yesterday (Yes, we celebrate on the 24th over here) when I should have taken it easy. Now it hurts to swallow and my throat hurts when I touch it on the left side.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27469 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 08:15:06 »
someone gave me this little squeeze Orbeez toy filled with colorful squishy balls and I guess while squishing it a hole developed, because hundreds of wet beads shot out of it with a seemingly pressurized force all over my ****ing room. Now I have these semi-transparent moist little terdlings littering my carpet.

ugh and they smell like grease and soap  :mad:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27470 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 10:25:42 »
someone gave me this little squeeze Orbeez toy filled with colorful squishy balls and I guess while squishing it a hole developed, because hundreds of wet beads shot out of it with a seemingly pressurized force all over my ****ing room. Now I have these semi-transparent moist little terdlings littering my carpet.

At least it's not the Glitter kind.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #27471 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 12:12:54 »

🤢

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27472 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 20:26:23 »
Hypothetical:

wtf does this mean?

Just follow up, dude. It ain't rocket science. Ask if now is a good time or would she prefer a later time and, if so, when.

Tell your friend that's my advice.

Well my friend tried that, reached out to her over the Holidays to see if she still wanted to grab lunch or dinner and she still is just straight up ghosting him.

Don't say you want to go out with someone when you have no intentions of following up on that. It's so incredibly ****ing rude.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #27473 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 02:42:04 »
Reading this thread I see that we all suffer from similar medical, relations and other weird issues - I had a feeling like this year wasn't the best for myself, same as previous.
I hope that 2020 will bring something good to our lives, guys, I wish you all have better times next year...
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #27474 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 20:05:04 »
god ###ing dammit i just finished a video of a king of cards gameplay because i can't afford it and it ends on a bad note ):

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #27475 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 20:14:29 »
Reading this thread I see that we all suffer from similar medical, relations and other weird issues - I had a feeling like this year wasn't the best for myself, same as previous.
I hope that 2020 will bring something good to our lives, guys, I wish you all have better times next year...

you too man.

The big thing bothering me right now is that I feel like games just don't scratch an itch for me much anymore. I used to game a ton, and when I have time now, I can't get in the mood much for it anymore.

Artistic pursuits still have something in them, but it worries me that will spread.

I probably have to talk to a professional about this, since it's getting worse.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline snozberries

• Aww yiss!
« Reply #27476 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 09:28:18 »
How old school the company I work for can be at times. They are stuck in their ways and hardly keeping up with the times.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27477 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 09:30:15 »
How old school the company I work for can be at times. They are stuck in their ways and hardly keeping up with the times.

What steps have you taken in bringing them the gud' wurd of Mechanical Keyboards.

Offline snozberries

• Aww yiss!
« Reply #27478 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 09:56:34 »

What steps have you taken in bringing them the gud' wurd of Mechanical Keyboards.

Believe me, I have been spreading the word. My first week working here, I brought in my board. Many have walked by and said I want to get a keyboard like yours  :))

Offline equalunique

« Reply #27479 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 10:38:35 »
Main keyboard-related thing that's bothering me - there aren't enough open source designs that feature an integrated pointing device. (This post by serapath from a few days ago might fix that though!). On the side I"m bothered by the fact that people seem to be choosing Colemak over Dvorak though. I truly believe Dvorak is better for typing. Colemak I believe is a compromise to keep the bottom row compatible with shortcut hotkeys that shouldn't even exist in the first place. That's just my opinion tho.

Main thing bothering be that I don't have a solution for is motivation. Maybe I'm obsessed with keyboard stuff, so doing what I do on here, Reddit's r/mk, and in my personal QMK repo, all comes naturally. I just wish I could do more than this. There are so many distractions and so many things I want to learn. Can't seem to pick one and just stick with it. I wish I could come out of 2020 saying "I learned and can do meaningful thing X now"

Offline Kavik

« Reply #27480 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 11:46:53 »

you too man.

The big thing bothering me right now is that I feel like games just don't scratch an itch for me much anymore. I used to game a ton, and when I have time now, I can't get in the mood much for it anymore.

Artistic pursuits still have something in them, but it worries me that will spread.

I think it's a normal part of getting older. My friends and I don't play games all that much anymore and have discussed that they generally just aren't as fun as they used to be. Occasionally, a game will catch my interest for a couple of weeks, but it is rare. I tend to enjoy playing older console games when I do play (N64 or Genesis era); games of that era had a good balance of complexity and simplicity. Modern games seem overly complex and cryptic by comparison - too many menus and stats. Rainbow Six: Siege is the only game I've found addictive in the past few years.

Interests change over time, so just try new stuff until you find something that gives you the same excitement. The problem I have is most of the things I enjoy now can only be done in daylight in good weather, so I can basically only do them on weekends that are nice; I need to look for something I can do the rest of the time.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline phinix

« Reply #27481 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 02:55:21 »

you too man.

I have the same problem. In age of 39 I spend most of the time watching reviews or gameplays on YT, instead of actual playing those games.
Many times I buy the game, play maybe for an hour and leave it.
I used to play for hours, days and nights! Then when adult live came, I started to cut the time in front of my PC, playing less and less. Then I started to have long breaks, like 2-3 months without a game. Every single return was hard, I couldn't play longer than an hour, I was getting bored very quickly. I'm mad on myself that I dropped something that I loved so much since I was 10, something that I promised myself I will ever leave. :'(
Nowadays I keep watching YT about good old games from 80-90s, look for remakes, play pixelart games. Back then I was waiting for new gen games, now when I have them, I don't really play them that much. Only game that kept me going in last 5 years is Witcher 3. I still play it, maybe for few hours a month, but still.
I guess interests change with age, we get older, or we just played all the good games and new ones are just a weak copies of ideas from decades.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Kavik

« Reply #27482 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 11:43:52 »

you too man.

I have the same problem. In age of 39 I spend most of the time watching reviews or gameplays on YT, instead of actual playing those games.
I used to play for hours, days and nights! Then when adult live came, I started to cut the time in front of my PC, playing less and less. Then I started to have long breaks, like 2-3 months without a game. Every single return was hard, I couldn't play longer than an hour, I was getting bored very quickly. I'm mad on myself that I dropped something that I loved so much since I was 10, something that I promised myself I will ever leave. :'(
Nowadays I keep watching YT about good old games from 80-90s, look for remakes, play pixelart games. Back then I was waiting for new gen games, now when I have them, I don't really play them that much. Only game that kept me going in last 5 years is Witcher 3. I still play it, maybe for few hours a month, but still.
I guess interests change with age, we get older, or we just played all the good games and new ones are just a weak copies of ideas from decades.

I remember reading a magazine circa 1998 or 1999 that stated the Gameboy Color might be able to play games over cellular phone connection because it had an ARM processor, which is what cell phones had (absolutely ridiculous logic by the author, but I didn't know better as a kid). This seemed like the coolest thing ever. Now that all this awesome technology is actually here (almost every game has Internet multiplayer including handheld games), I don't care anymore. My young self would have killed to have what's available nowadays.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27483 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 18:47:27 »

I remember reading a magazine circa 1998 or 1999 that stated the Gameboy Color might be able to play games over cellular phone connection because it had an ARM processor, which is what cell phones had (absolutely ridiculous logic by the author, but I didn't know better as a kid). This seemed like the coolest thing ever. Now that all this awesome technology is actually here (almost every game has Internet multiplayer including handheld games), I don't care anymore. My young self would have killed to have what's available nowadays.

The cause is Secs + Alcohol + Coffee + Cigarettes + Pizza

Once a human has had it,  perspectives change.  The brain no longer responds to Stimulus the same way post --Revelation-- ..

The ever dampening hedonic response of adult-hood.

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #27484 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 21:51:42 »
I think it's a normal part of getting older. My friends and I don't play games all that much anymore and have discussed that they generally just aren't as fun as they used to be. Occasionally, a game will catch my interest for a couple of weeks, but it is rare. I tend to enjoy playing older console games when I do play (N64 or Genesis era); games of that era had a good balance of complexity and simplicity. Modern games seem overly complex and cryptic by comparison - too many menus and stats. Rainbow Six: Siege is the only game I've found addictive in the past few years.

Interests change over time, so just try new stuff until you find something that gives you the same excitement. The problem I have is most of the things I enjoy now can only be done in daylight in good weather, so I can basically only do them on weekends that are nice; I need to look for something I can do the rest of the time.

I certainly feel like it is to a degree, I know my interests have changed over the years. (Keyboards!) most of the games in my rotation are older as well, I just don't have it in for lots of modern games. I chatted with a bud and found out that the last major release of games (Basically the AAA lineup for a year) that I was excited for was nearly ten years ago. Most modern games don't do it for me, and I've got a feeling that the "You never have to stop paying for this game" nature of microtransactions is putting me off.

I think you are onto something about complexity as well. A simpler game means alot to me with good gameplay. Some games are just TOO much for me. And I tried to go pro in Starcraft! (I didn't because I just didn't cut the mustard) League of Legends just stresses me out, and most modern shooters feel the same. (Halo still scratches the itch.)

I feel that about good weather though. We got a lot of sun in Nogales, but not tons of cool and safe weather, we're busy having the first real winter I've seen here in years. Mt. Wrightson to the north has snow on it! A rarity here!

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #27485 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 21:54:47 »

Man it's such a rare thing for me to feel gaming for hours on end, and perhaps once or twice a year it will strike like it did.

But that Nostalgia is a big thing for me too, I love watching Chyros from this board's youtube, or LGR doing older tech reviews. It reminds me of a time where Tech was really exciting because it was just getting very accessible, and every new computer seemed to be just MILES ahead of the previous ones. Game consoles felt the same way. So seeing these machines in the flesh, explained to a good degree, and seeing them working so many years after is a very warm comfy old sweater from the back of the closet, just for the mind.

Offline phinix

« Reply #27486 on: Wed, 08 January 2020, 03:31:36 »

Man it's such a rare thing for me to feel gaming for hours on end, and perhaps once or twice a year it will strike like it did.

But that Nostalgia is a big thing for me too, I love watching Chyros from this board's youtube, or LGR doing older tech reviews. It reminds me of a time where Tech was really exciting because it was just getting very accessible, and every new computer seemed to be just MILES ahead of the previous ones. Game consoles felt the same way. So seeing these machines in the flesh, explained to a good degree, and seeing them working so many years after is a very warm comfy old sweater from the back of the closet, just for the mind.

Haha :))
I watch LGR almost every night  :D
I think I memorised all his Jazz Jackrabbit, 7th Corridor, Lemmings, 7th Guest, The Ripper videos. I keep watching his old DOS games reviews on and on...

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #27487 on: Wed, 08 January 2020, 06:16:11 »
I'm not the biggest fan of his earlier stuff since he goofs around a lot more, but his stuff from around 2017 and onwards is all very high quality, passionate, and very well spoken.

He makes me want to buy a PS/2 30 and try to get it working again. Not that I'd have any idea where to get media for it anymore, nevermind the unit.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27488 on: Wed, 08 January 2020, 16:12:53 »
Just joined Tinder to see how people "date" these days. How horrible and arbitrary a process it is. To base who you will be spending time with on a blurry long distance photo and a picture of a dog in a sweater with the info "Let's get tacos!"

Is this the world we live in and how we meet SO's now? How depressing. I was sure there would be more to the entire thing than **** info on **** profiles you mindlessly swipe right on. And Bumble isn't any better at all, it's exactly the same! Even more depressing I keep coming across profiles that say "I only date on message apps" like what does that even mean? That's not dating, that's occasionally texting a stranger!

I hate it. I ****ing hate it.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #27489 on: Wed, 08 January 2020, 16:15:26 »
To base who you will be spending time with on a blurry long distance photo and a picture of a dog in a sweater with the info "Let's get tacos!"
I'm ****ed then  :p
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27490 on: Wed, 08 January 2020, 16:28:07 »
Just joined Tinder to see how people "date" these days. How horrible and arbitrary a process it is. To base who you will be spending time with on a blurry long distance photo and a picture of a dog in a sweater with the info "Let's get tacos!"

Is this the world we live in and how we meet SO's now? How depressing. I was sure there would be more to the entire thing than **** info on **** profiles you mindlessly swipe right on. And Bumble isn't any better at all, it's exactly the same! Even more depressing I keep coming across profiles that say "I only date on message apps" like what does that even mean? That's not dating, that's occasionally texting a stranger!

The real world isn't Disney.  The real world works on spreadsheets.   You got this this and this,  Guy 1 Sum > Guy 2 Sum,  Pick guy 1.

It's always been like this, and I don't see why it wouldn't continue.

Part of getting older is recognition and acceptance of Spreadsheets.

This is true for everyone, male and female

Offline Kavik

« Reply #27491 on: Wed, 08 January 2020, 23:35:10 »

The real world isn't Disney.  The real world works on spreadsheets.   You got this this and this,  Guy 1 Sum > Guy 2 Sum,  Pick guy 1.

I see it more as shopping before and after the Internet. Before, you just bought whatever your local store had in stock, maybe deciding between two or three models/brands, and usually you were none the wiser of other options. After, you can search for anything and find many more brands and models and order them straight to your door.

I'm glad I never had to deal with this. Sorry, NT.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27492 on: Wed, 08 January 2020, 23:38:36 »

I see it more as shopping before and after the Internet. Before, you just bought whatever your local store had in stock, maybe deciding between two or three models/brands, and usually you were none the wiser of other options. After, you can search for anything and find many more brands and models and order them straight to your door.

I'm glad I never had to deal with this. Sorry, NT.

If you use an app all your dating exp will be going on meaningless blind dates with low expectations. Back before I started dating it was my understanding blind dates were the WORST dating experiences. It's set up an entire generation of casual sex zero effort onto-the-next-one dating mentality where all the up front info is totally superficial that I have absolutely zero interest in.

I can't even wrap my brain around these tales of, "I met my current wife or husband on Tinder."

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27493 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 00:16:03 »
If you use an app all your dating exp will be going on meaningless blind dates with low expectations. Back before I started dating it was my understanding blind dates were the WORST dating experiences. It's set up an entire generation of casual sex zero effort onto-the-next-one dating mentality where all the up front info is totally superficial that I have absolutely zero interest in.

I can't even wrap my brain around these tales of, "I met my current wife or husband on Tinder."

It really comes down to how the goal is defined.

As base humans, moving forward is plainly survival, in which case, nature has already given us Near-Universal compatible Intra-Species Widget+ Sockets.

Complication only exists for Multi-generational goals,  The majority of humans may not necessarily need to consider these, and so less complex matching systems are Appropriate for them to use.

Offline iri

« Reply #27494 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 03:58:11 »

Just go outside and start meeting girls.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #27495 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 04:08:47 »

Just go outside and start grabbing girls you like. Then drag them back to your apartment. Don't do this.

Offline iri

« Reply #27496 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 04:16:34 »

Just go outside and start grabbing girls you like. Then drag them back to your apartment. Don't do this.
Do or not? I'm puzzled.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline phinix

« Reply #27497 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 04:47:43 »

I already see facebook posts: how did you meet your wife? "I grabbed her from the street and dragged her to my house."

Lived happily ever after ;D

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #27498 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 19:05:18 »

Do or not? I'm puzzled.

Legally no, ethically no, morally no, thinking with yo phallic cortex maybe.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27499 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 19:09:41 »

What Success ratio has this strategy produced ?