Author Topic: how to remove a broken MX clear stem from a pbt keycaps?  (Read 12535 times)

Offline jonathanyu

how to remove a broken MX clear stem from a pbt keycaps?
« on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 18:08:55 »
 :( Just try to put on the cherry dyesub on my board, and found that there is a clear stem stuck under the "5" keycaps, and the clear stem is not from my board.... :-\

anyone have idea how to remove it without breaking the caps?  :'(
got a really bad feeling right now....

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
Re: how to remove a broken MX clear stem from a pbt keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 18:09:47 »
If you have a thumb tack, that is what I would do. Just poke into it and then pull it out. Or if you have a really beefy needle you don't care if you bend up that would work as well.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 18:10:35 »
:( Just try to put on the cherry dyesub on my board, and found that there is a clear stem stuck under the "5" keycaps, and the clear stem is not from my board.... :-\
Show Image

Could you not use a toothpick to nudge it out and tweezers to pull it out?
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 18:28:33 »
Whatever you do, PLEASE wear eye protection before you start.  We don't want little pieces of plastic or, worse, metal getting into your eye!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 18:30:17 »
Use a slanted tweezer. That might help. Just slowly poke/pull the piece.
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline ConscienceDrop

• a-are these pbt?
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 19:09:18 »
Whatever you do, PLEASE wear eye protection before you start.  We don't want little pieces of plastic or, worse, metal getting into your eye!

listen to this guy, i lost an eye working with something small and things going really bad fast!

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 19:20:02 »
If you have a thumb tack, that is what I would do. Just poke into it and then pull it out. Or if you have a really beefy needle you don't care if you bend up that would work as well.

Just tried using thumb tack, the stem doesn't come out at all and seems getting deeper in the hole...
Show Image

Could you not use a toothpick to nudge it out and tweezers to pull it out?

tried used toothpick and tweezers, the stem doesn't move at all
Use a slanted tweezer. That might help. Just slowly poke/pull the piece.

seems a tweezers can't grip the stem  :-\

Thanks for the reminder!
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 November 2014, 19:27:53 by jonathanyu »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 19:21:28 »
I highly recommend buying some cheap dental picks. You can get a set for $4–5, and they come in handy all the time when doing electronics work or any kind of hobby work on small projects.

Not just you, OP, but everyone who plays with keyboards. Especially anyone who is soldering/desoldering stuff.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 19:37:38 »
Get a small drill bit and drill the center out.  Then use a cheap small screw tap or manually screw in a small screw and slowly start pulling it out.  If it strips, you may have to try and drill parts of it out, then go at it with an Xacto knife or something.

If you're too scared to try, you can send it my way and I'll send it back, just pay for shipping.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 20:00:31 »
I'd go for a round dental scratcher to pull the plastic bits out, after keep the key cap in the freezer overnight. If possible adjust your freezer thermostat under 0 F.

Offline kaotikb

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 23:37:05 »
I managed to get a broken stem out using the tip of a knife, but that was on a brown stem which came out easily.
Ducky 1087 (Green ALPS) |  CM QFR Stealth (MX Brown) | Unicomp Ultra Classic |Poker II (MX Brown)  | IBM 1391401 1991 | IBM 1391401 1989 | Ducky Shine 3 White Edition (MX Brown) | G80-3700(MX Black) | Corsair K70 (MX Brown) | Varmillo VA87MR (Gateron Red)

Pointing Devices:  Microsoft Trackball Optical (Ceramic bearings Installed)  | Sanwa MA-TB39BK (Larger Ceramic Bearings Installed) | Elecom M-XT2URBK | Kensington Slimblade | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Logitech Trackman Marble Plus

Offline Mr.Tumor

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 21:07:12 »
I'd use c4 if you can get some.
Ducky zero dk2108s  OMG

Offline Rainbow_

• zealio master race
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 21:09:07 »
I'd use c4 if you can get some.

I prefer just using acid. It sure gets rid of the stem!
Zealio Master Race

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 21:35:43 »
I'd go for a round dental scratcher to pull the plastic bits out, after keep the key cap in the freezer overnight. If possible adjust your freezer thermostat under 0 F.

That's a really good idea, I bet a dental pick would get it out easily.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 21:37:14 »
Get a small drill bit and drill the center out.  Then use a cheap small screw tap or manually screw in a small screw and slowly start pulling it out.  If it strips, you may have to try and drill parts of it out, then go at it with an Xacto knife or something.

If you're too scared to try, you can send it my way and I'll send it back, just pay for shipping.
I think I will try this method because the clear stem broke very smooth in the keycaps, so I cant use a tweezers to pull it out.... Let me dig out my drill from the basement

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 01:27:45 »
I agree that a dental pick (the kind used by a dental hygienist to scrape off placque) is the best way to get it out.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline mz/x

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 12 November 2014, 05:35:25 »
Drop a little oil in the hole such as WD40 and then use a needle. (Use circular motions so the oil will go all over. Sometimes you need to wait 5 minutes to allow the oil to do the trick.) Bend the very tip of the needle so you can get a good grip when you will pull it vertically using carving motions.

Offline RavenII

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 13:55:43 »
Thin...TIHN assed pin/needle warm it up slightly, insert as far in without poking through, wait until it cools off...pull out :-)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 14:50:11 »
Well jonathanyu, what happened?  Were you able to extract it without negatively affecting your occular ability?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 14:57:59 »

Try this.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 15:59:22 »
Well jonathanyu, what happened?  Were you able to extract it without negatively affecting your occular ability?

Or, more importantly, your keycaps?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 18:02:49 »
If the cap is PBT, you could put a couple drops of acetone in to soften the broken off stem - then use a needle / dental pick / etc.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline dashing_girlboy

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 01:27:42 »
not sure if you got the stem out already. maybe a combination of WD40 and vacuum can do the trick. You can use a needle to try wriggle it a bit while trying to vacuum the stem out.

Offline mrs1986

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 18:15:10 »
I don't know the size of that part of a key, im still waiting for my first mechanical keyboard... But, you can try a dab of superglue with a toothpick, hold it steady and try, don't know, i would have done that to see if i can get it out...

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 18:23:29 »
I don't know the size of that part of a key, im still waiting for my first mechanical keyboard... But, you can try a dab of superglue with a toothpick, hold it steady and try, don't know, i would have done that to see if i can get it out...
I wouldn't, superglue usually spreads when I use it. So I don't see how it wouldn't just ooze into the cracks between the stem and keycap and then be stuck there forever :P

Offline SpikeBolt

• √(4) != -2
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 09:38:52 »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 13:15:10 »
exactly the same problem here, cannot get it out  :( help

EDIT: I don't have a drill
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 December 2014, 13:35:47 by Geroximo »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 15:18:42 »
exactly the same problem here, cannot get it out  :( help

EDIT: I don't have a drill

Eye protection is critical - please wear some!

Can you poke a toothpick into it?  Or wiggle it just enough to be able to grip it with pliers?