Author Topic: What is you experience with Tai Hao keycaps?  (Read 30659 times)

Offline anorphirith

What is you experience with Tai Hao keycaps?
« on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 13:10:20 »
Hey guys im trying to get a feel of the company's reputation. and the reputation of their keycaps.
Please leave out comments about the "Nano Antibiosis Technology 99.9%" because it's an easy fix and probably an honest mistake from their part.
or personal opinions about pbt vs abs
thanks

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
Re: What is you experience with Tai Hao keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 13:17:40 »
Hey guys im trying to get a feel of the company's reputation. and the reputation of their keycaps.
Please leave out comments about the "Nano Antibiosis Technology 99.9%" because it's an easy fix and probably an honest mistake from their part.
thanks

Their ABS keycaps are nice, standard doubleshot OEM keycaps with clear legends.  They aren't as thin as SP's DCS, but aren't thick, either.  Their PBT is good, was the first to do double-shot PBT, and also not super thick.  I, personally, prefer dye sublimated Gateron PBT, but that's just a preference. 

Hope that helps.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 14:08:42 »
I have three sets (green, Dolch, Olivetti) of Tai Hao double shot ABS. They are a nice thickness and have a pleasant texture and the markings are always nice and crisp. The Tai Hao quality is consistent and, imo, represent a very good bang/buck ratio in some nice color sets. If you don't mind ABS caps you could do a lot worse than a set from Tai Hao.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 August 2016, 14:10:56 by Tactile »
REΛLFORCE

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 17:13:44 »
thanks
Historically, Tai-Hao were a major keycap supplier that delivered quality products for Northgate, Focus and NTC keyboards among other. I haven't tried their modern range, but if it's anything like their old production value, they're solid.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 19:31:08 »
I have the Miami PBT and Dolch Alps keycaps from Tai Hao. They looks nice but they are thin which I don't like.
All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 20:16:52 »
I have the Miami PBT and Dolch Alps keycaps from Tai Hao. They looks nice but they are thin which I don't like.
Really? Alps sound best with thin keycaps, in my experience :D .

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 21:16:09 »
THEY JUST LOOK PRETTY.  :mad:

PRO
1. If you like fun colors like the sunshine then be my guest

Cons
1. lots of minor defects on their keysets, some keycaps have chipped plastic, some arent cleaned well. ugh my friends who ive ask regarding this agree
2. the antibiosis doesn't make sense at all
3. the doubleshot keycap seems to hit some of the leds on my varmilo keyboard with inverted leds( leds at the bottom) preventing it from bottoming out and sometimes not allowing them to actuate.
4. the plastic is thin AF and they feel so cheap IMHO

so overall this brand is a complete and utter rip-off  :p

Offline emdude

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 21:32:48 »

Interesting.. I've always wanted to try Tai Hao caps in a custom build, I will probably do that next time.

I just wish they'd make doubleshot PBT Alps caps.  Or better yet, bring back their old RGB text modifiers.. :)
Current drivers: IBM Model M SSK

Offline Shikarikato

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 23:12:02 »
the only way i can put it is if you like strange pretty colors and if those colors are available at taihao i don't think there's a better option at the price

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 23:51:12 »
Their Alps caps are paper thin. You get what you pay for, I guess.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 04:52:33 »

Interesting.. I've always wanted to try Tai Hao caps in a custom build, I will probably do that next time.

I just wish they'd make doubleshot PBT Alps caps.
They don't? Oo

Offline Data

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 07:44:09 »
I bought the Sunshine PBT set from Hendy for my wife.  We both like it.  It's not a particularly thick PBT set but it still feels pretty good to type on.

Tai Hao adjusted the coating after feedback from the initial sets (Miami and Bumblebee, I think) and it hasn't been a problem since.  They also make the caps without the coating when requested for bulk orders (like through Massdrop and Originative).

Offline PrinceRobotIV

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 07:55:52 »
Just ordered some of their Bumblebee caps to make an ISO-Nordic board I bought legible to me. They were cheap enough that I hope I'm not going to care too much about the negative points being brought up in this thread.

I also have some isopropyl at the ready if the antibiosis is as bad as it seems.
Pok3r MX Brown | Ducky Shine 4 MX Clear

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 10:07:49 »
They're quite good but IIRC their doubleshots are on the thinner side, and I like chunkier caps personally. They're also the only place to get a brand new set with Alps mount, I just wish they'd make one in PBT.

Offline zephyr11

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 08:13:33 »
have a couple of sets, quite like them, but they ARE a bit on the tall side, them being OEM. i don't know how thick they are, but they feel alright, at least for a noob like me. don't have much experience with other brands that are popular on here. but i did try some dye sub from geekkeys, and those are quite very nice. i just need to convince myself i need some, which is actually not too hard.

:-\ :-\ :-\

Offline emdude

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 10:58:11 »

They don't? Oo

Sorry about the late reply, I only saw this now; AFAIK they don't for Alps mount, just doubleshot ABS caps. 

Not only that, their selection of keysets is pretty limited as well, I am only aware of three colorways: Dolch, Olivette, and WoB.
Current drivers: IBM Model M SSK

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 11:24:31 »

They don't? Oo

Sorry about the late reply, I only saw this now; AFAIK they don't for Alps mount, just doubleshot ABS caps. 

Not only that, their selection of keysets is pretty limited as well, I am only aware of three colorways: Dolch, Olivette, and WoB.
Goddammit >_> .

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 17:18:13 »
The material is a bit thin however they are priced accordingly, just be sure if you get Tai-Hao PBT it does not have that god awful keycap ruining fracking coating they insist on using.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 17:19:56 »
I bought the Sunshine PBT set from Hendy for my wife.  We both like it.  It's not a particularly thick PBT set but it still feels pretty good to type on.

Tai Hao adjusted the coating after feedback from the initial sets (Miami and Bumblebee, I think) and it hasn't been a problem since.  They also make the caps without the coating when requested for bulk orders (like through Massdrop and Originative).

The Carbon Black PBT set they did for Originative was done quite well, Sharon discounted a set for my review purposes and i was fairly impressed at the texture Without that nasty coating.  The material however was still a bit Thin IMO and should have been a bit thicker.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline TypingNoob

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 20:05:00 »
That anti-biosis is nasty. After a month of use i sold them for almost half the price i bought them and had them swapped out for varmilo dye-sub PBTs. They do look good though. I hear they make versions without anti-biosis stuff.

Offline mathilda

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 16:46:10 »
Used a few Tai Hao sets. They aren't filmsy but aren't thick either. Really good choice for its quality/price ratio.

Tai Hao is a pheripheral OEM for many companies and they have a long history. I think they have good reputation.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 06:09:26 »
The coating is supposedly meant for use on keyboards in public spaces (e.g., e-cafés), and those are definitely gross by default, thus the coating might be only an improvement.

They've apparently started selling caps (via Massdrop and some other channels) without the coating too.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 21:58:41 »
I got in on the first Tai Hao group buy when they were "discovered".  The price was initially $6 (or maybe $6.50) per set, but increased to $9.50 or something like that when we needed a 6.25x space bar.  Those sets are as plain as you can get - simple colours, all doubleshot (including the blanks - yes, doubleshot blanks).  They have uniform legends across the board, fit every keyboard I've tried them on, and don't shine after a few days.

I also have some later Tai Hao ABS, sky blue or something.  Similar to the original sets, but in a different colour.

Plus a black/orange PBT set (with anti-bacterial coating).  These are also thin and feel similar to the ABS sets, but have a slightly more noticeable texture on them.  Again, no issues at all.

I have a Tai Hao Alps Dolch set that I cannot use due to a lack of Alps keyboards.

Would buy again.  Tai Hao in general, that is, not Alps sets in particular.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 21:59:14 »
their legends look like poo

Offline milchek

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 23:20:26 »
I bought one of their cheaper ABS sets and was pretty happy with it for the price, was for a full size 6gV2, my only issue was the color was a little different in person than in the images (brown white and black set, brown looked more orange in photos)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 06:01:46 »
their legends look like poo

They may not compare to Cherry legends, but at least they are consistent across the board.

I bought one of their cheaper ABS sets and was pretty happy with it for the price, was for a full size 6gV2, my only issue was the color was a little different in person than in the images (brown white and black set, brown looked more orange in photos)

Brown, white and black?  What set was that?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline milchek

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 01:00:13 »

It's this one off eBay:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 05:57:09 »

It's this one off eBay:

Show Image

I haven't seen that set before.  An interesting combination!

I have a plain black/orange set (PBT) which is quite nice.

Offline milchek

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 07:52:36 »

It's this one off eBay:

Show Image

Yeah, my only issue was that in pictures it appears more orange but in person it's more brown. Quality is good though. You can check it out here http://imgur.com/a/knJuj

I just sold the board actually, to make room for some new ones on the way  :-[

I haven't seen that set before.  An interesting combination!

I have a plain black/orange set (PBT) which is quite nice.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 08:18:22 »
I have the Taii-Hao Alps-mount Dolch set on my Northgate Omnikey 101 (supplemented with 1.50x Ctrl/Alt and 7.0x Spacebar from Matias), and I find it excellent with respect to fit/finish. The feel is also quite good for ABS.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 04 September 2016, 06:06:56 »
I have acquired another Tai Hao set (Dolch, a father's day gift from my daughter).

Up to Tai Hao's usual standard - consistent legends, a good fit, even the Costar stabiliser inserts go in and stay in without a problem.

The only issue is that the F2 key needs more pressure than any other to fit properly.  At the moment it is about 0.5mm higher than it should as I don't think it should need that much extra pressure to fit, and might get stuck on.