Author Topic: TLDR: use Windows 98, the Cult of (Formerly the microsoft windows megathread)  (Read 70422 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: A Message from the President
« Reply #400 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 03:15:38 »
-7 DAYS UNTIL CHRISTMAS 2017!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Geekhack Logo
« Reply #401 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 03:19:04 »
I really think it's time to put this logo on the site. The current one is so boring.

(Attachment Link)

You should make that a gif where the IEs fly around.

Don't tempt him :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: DO YOU LIKE TO EAT DONUTS WHILE USING THE COMPUTER?
« Reply #402 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 03:33:34 »
If that's how you "glaze" your donuts, I don't want to know ...

* rowdy never looks at a glazed donut the same way again.

Offline Belfong

Maybe try updating to the latest version of Internet Explorer.
QFT

Offline daskeybo

« Reply #404 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 09:32:05 »
I really think it's time to put this logo on the site. The current one is so boring.

(Attachment Link)

3 year self bump?

Offline os

• trash site, don't come here
« Reply #405 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 14:34:57 »

(Attachment Link)

Why? I just thought I'd make my first post here about bringing in constructive feedback.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Maybe try updating to the latest version of Internet Explorer.
QFT

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17621/internet-explorer-downloads

I WILL ONLY USE INTERNET EXPLORER 6. NO OTHER WEB BROWSERS EXCEPT FOR MSIE 5 ARE ACCEPTABLE FOR MY USE. TO HELL WITH GOOGLE CHROME AND FIRE-FOX!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #408 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 07:36:19 »

(Attachment Link)

Why? I just thought I'd make my first post here about bringing in constructive feedback.

I THINK THAT IS A BRILLIANT IDEA. DOES ANYBODY KNOW OF ANY FREE AND EASY-TO-USE GIF ANIMATION TOOLS?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #409 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 07:39:10 »

I HOPE EVERYBODY ENJOYED THEIR CHRISTMAS. NOW IT IS TIME TO COUNT DOWN TO CHRISTMAS 2018. DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW MANY DAYS ARE LEFT UNTIL THAT DAY ARRIVES?

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: DO YOU LIKE TO EAT DONUTS WHILE USING THE COMPUTER?
« Reply #410 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 07:42:49 »

I RAN OUT OF DONUTS TODAY. I NEED TO GET SOME MORE AFTER WORK.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: Internet explorer 6 will never die
« Reply #411 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 07:45:02 »
IE (or Edge) might become a fantastic browser one day, but no-one will ever know.

EDGE IS OVERRATED. INTERNET EXPLORER 6 IS THE TRUE WEB BROWSERS. THE OTHERS ARE JUST FAKES. DON'T FALL FOR THEM!

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: Windows 98
« Reply #412 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 07:46:08 »
(Attachment Link)

WINDOWS 98 IS BETTER THAN WINDOWS 10. IT DOESN'T SEND YOUR DATA TO BIG BROTHER! YET ANOTHER REASON TO ADOPT THAT FINE OPERATING SYSTEM.

Except for shiny "Active Desktop"..

DO YOU USE WINDOWS 98?

DO YOU READ SUTTER CANE?

DO YOU?

I probably would if he was real.

ARE YOU USING WINDOWS 98 NOW?

Offline os

• trash site, don't come here
« Reply #413 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 08:51:13 »

(Attachment Link)

I THINK THAT IS A BRILLIANT IDEA. DOES ANYBODY KNOW OF ANY FREE AND EASY-TO-USE GIF ANIMATION TOOLS?

Just in case you are willing to use anything that does not run on Win98:
GIMP is great for gif animation: https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Simple_Animations/
I've also used PhotoScape in the past but iirc it turned into an adware ****hole, so idk about that.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: GOP TAX REFORM BILL
« Reply #414 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 13:34:34 »
WELL, IT LOOKS LIKE THE TAX REFORM PASSED! ALSO LOOKS LIKE TRUMP AND BANNON ARE NO LONGER BUDDIES.  AND HILLARY AND HUMA ARE STILL NOT IN PRISON!

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: CATS & HOT DOGS
« Reply #415 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 13:35:38 »

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: VHS or Betamax: Which do you prefer?
« Reply #416 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 13:36:14 »
OOPS, I FORGOT TO ADD LASERDISC AS AN OPTION. SHOULD I MAKE A NEW THREAD?

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN
« Reply #417 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 13:37:12 »
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: Islamic Terrorism/Extremism
« Reply #418 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 13:40:22 »
WELL, IT LOOKS LIKE THE ISLAMIC MIGRANTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR 92% OF THE RECENT INCREASE IN VIOLENT CRIME IN GERMANY. ANY THOUGHTS?

https://www.infowars.com/bombshell-study-migrants-caused-92-violent-crime-increase-in-germany/

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #419 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 14:09:36 »
Show Image

I HOPE EVERYBODY ENJOYED THEIR CHRISTMAS. NOW IT IS TIME TO COUNT DOWN TO CHRISTMAS 2018. DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW MANY DAYS ARE LEFT UNTIL THAT DAY ARRIVES?

Show Image

Dear President of Geekhack, There are only 354 days to go until December 25th of 2018.

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline iri

« Reply #420 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 15:19:38 »
It's the second worst refugee crisis after WWII.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #421 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 16:06:37 »
Show Image

Show Image

Dear President of Geekhack, There are only 354 days to go until December 25th of 2018.

354 days to go and people have got their decorations up already!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #422 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 16:09:17 »
(Attachment Link)

WINDOWS 98 IS BETTER THAN WINDOWS 10. IT DOESN'T SEND YOUR DATA TO BIG BROTHER! YET ANOTHER REASON TO ADOPT THAT FINE OPERATING SYSTEM.

DO YOU USE WINDOWS 98?

DO YOU READ SUTTER CANE?

DO YOU?

I must humbly submit to you that the possibility exists that Windows 98 is not the operating system that I am using at this precise moment in time.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #423 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 16:20:13 »
A good way to start is probably to deport everyone who says that :p .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #424 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 17:07:01 »
Show Image

Show Image

that will be me

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #425 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 17:11:19 »
My thought: You should not get your "news" from web sites with a far-right political agenda.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #426 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 17:20:35 »
My thought: You should not get your "news" from web sites with a far-right political agenda.

DOES THAT ALSO APPLY TO WEB SITES WITH FAR-LEFT POLITICAL AGENDAS?

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #427 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 17:21:26 »
A good way to start is probably to deport everyone who says that :p .

I WANT TO DEPORT EVERYONE WHO WORKS AT CRAPPLE AND ALL MAC USERS!

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #428 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 17:23:38 »
(Attachment Link)

DO YOU USE WINDOWS 98?

DO YOU READ SUTTER CANE?

DO YOU?

I must humbly submit to you that the possibility exists that Windows 98 is not the operating system that I am using at this precise moment in time.

WELL, IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU MAY NEED TO MAKE A FEW COMPUTING-RELATED CHANGES IN YOUR LIFE. I HOPE YOU'RE NOT USING A MAC!

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #429 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 17:26:33 »
Show Image

Show Image

that will be me

I STILL HAVE MY CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS UP. WITH CHRISTMAS LESS THAN A YEAR AWAY, PERHAPS I SHOULD KEEP THEM UP TO BE PREPARED!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #430 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 00:42:28 »
Show Image

Show Image

that will be me

I STILL HAVE MY CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS UP. WITH CHRISTMAS LESS THAN A YEAR AWAY, PERHAPS I SHOULD KEEP THEM UP TO BE PREPARED!

Sadly it seems that Easter-related items are already in the shops.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #431 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 00:54:28 »
(Attachment Link)

DO YOU USE WINDOWS 98?

DO YOU READ SUTTER CANE?

DO YOU?

WELL, IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU MAY NEED TO MAKE A FEW COMPUTING-RELATED CHANGES IN YOUR LIFE. I HOPE YOU'RE NOT USING A MAC!

It is always nice to have hope.

Offline Belfong

Why not Edge? It's from MS. Are you trying to avoid the question?

Offline Belfong

« Reply #433 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 02:04:56 »
Does using Windows 98 in a VM running on a Mac count?

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #434 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 02:20:34 »
Show Image

Show Image

that will be me

Best time to purchase Christmas decorations is now, save your pennies and go to the shop now.

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #435 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 02:22:47 »
Does using Windows 98 in a VM running on a Mac count?

At least that would work.  You would not be able to run macOS in a VM under Windows 98.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #436 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 04:04:02 »
When life has you feeling blue
Resetting with a start up tune
Always checking Windows for surpri-ses
Come and drive up to the store
They're expecting you at tech support
This time it'll last you through the daaay!
"You know you could just buy a Mac."
"Did I really hear you say that?
"More than most you know this box has served me well."
"But it has so many problems!"
"And I'm paying you to solve them!
"Keep it quiet now and make them go awaaay!"
So now the situation's fine
For the computer and the client
Dithered blue skies to keep their mind at ease
Sure, but won't it break again?
Well how long's a piece of string?
They're contented now and that's what really ma-tters
So hearing a board tapping
They might just be a geek hacking
Boasting of a system flawless as can be
But we really know inside
Behind the messy lot of wires
The nostalgia is what really keeps them going

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #437 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 10:19:51 »
(Attachment Link)

DO YOU USE WINDOWS 98?

DO YOU READ SUTTER CANE?

DO YOU?

It is always nice to have hope.

WINDOWS 98 WILL RESTORE HOPE AND PEACE TO MANKIND. START USING IT TODAY SO YOU CAN SOLVE WORLD HUNGER AND CURE CANCER!

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Why not Edge? It's from MS. Are you trying to avoid the question?

I WILL NOT USE EDGE BECAUSE IT IS NOT DESIGNED FOR WINDOWS 98.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #439 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 10:25:28 »
Show Image

Show Image

that will be me

Best time to purchase Christmas decorations is now, save your pennies and go to the shop now.

THAT'S RIGHT! YOU CAN ALSO PURCHASE ONE OF MY INTERNET EXPLORER MOUSEPADS WHILE YOU ARE AT IT. LOOK FOR MY THREAD IN THE "INTEREST CHECKS" DISCUSSION BOARD.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
DONALD TRUMP NEEDS TO STOP USING MACS AND GET WINDOWS 98 RIGHT NOW
« Reply #440 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 10:34:23 »
I WAS SURFING ON THE NETWORK OF TUBES TODAY, USING INTERNET EXPLORER 6, WHEN I CAME ACROSS SOME VERY DISTURBING IMAGES ONLINE.

BEWARE - VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED. DON'T LOOK AT THE FOLLOWING PHOTOGRAPHS IF THERE ARE CHILDREN IN THE ROOM WITH YOU.

185784-0
185786-1
185788-2

DONALD TRUMP NEEDS TO THROW HIS MACK BOOKS AWAY RIGHT NOW AND SWITCH TO WINDOWS 98. THE SECURITY OF OUR COUNTRY IS AT RISK! IF HE KEEPS USING CRAPPLE COMPUTERS, HIS E-MAILS MAY WIND UP GOING THE WAY OF HILLARY CLINTON'S. WE NEED TO TELL HIM RIGHT NOW THAT WINDOWS 98 IS THE ANSWER!

BELOW IS A PHOTO OF DONALD TRUMP USING MY PERSONAL COMPUTER. HE NEEDS TO GET RID OF THE MACK BOOKS IMMEDIATELY! THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

185790-3

Offline JP

Re: microsoft windows megathread
« Reply #441 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 14:12:00 »
But Mac's don't get viruses, duh!
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline Belfong

Re: TLDR: use Windows 98, the Cult of (Formerly the microsoft windows megathread)
« Reply #442 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 19:29:35 »
I thought he tweets using phones?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: TLDR: use Windows 98, the Cult of (Formerly the microsoft windows megathread)
« Reply #443 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 21:03:36 »
Win 98 is still a metric ton better than Ubuntu, I hate Ubuntu and Linux so much they make me want to punch the monitor every time a barebones simple feature that should be standard needs to be added. People are like "Oh but you have so much control and can make the environment anything you want" NO - **** YOU IT IS NOT CONVENIENT AT ALL.

Offline iri

« Reply #444 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 09:18:47 »
Win 98 is still a metric ton better than Ubuntu, I hate Ubuntu and Linux so much they make me want to punch the monitor every time a barebones simple feature that should be standard needs to be added. People are like "Oh but you have so much control and can make the environment anything you want" NO - **** YOU IT IS NOT CONVENIENT AT ALL.
What are the barebones simple features that are present in Windows 98 that you miss from Ubuntu?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #445 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 10:16:11 »
What are the barebones simple features that are present in Windows 98 that you miss from Ubuntu?

Farmville support

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #446 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 10:16:52 »
Nothing can replace the sound of a 56k baud modem connecting at 28k baud..