Author Topic: Headphone Amp/DAC Thread  (Read 153596 times)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Re: Headphone Amp/DAC Thread
« Reply #250 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 16:31:44 »
I may or may not be selling my mad dogs

May or may not be interested.

Were they not what you were looking for?

i mean, i don't hate them or anything. but im trying to look for something with a little more bass.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #251 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 16:33:56 »
Dem BEETZ!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #252 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 16:40:05 »
no...

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #253 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 19:18:36 »
no...

have you tried EQing the bass in?
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #254 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 19:24:45 »
negative

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #255 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 18:29:19 »
More
So I've been testing out my JH5s for a week with a Fiio e06 amp. But there's hissing which I think means it doesn't have enough power outage ifrom the e06? Anyways, can anyone recommend me a portable amp/dac for traveling? Right now I have a Zune and the Fiio e06.

I'd rather not get a e17 or something of that size since the Zune and e17 would be really thick and uncomfortable in my pocket.

hue.

How much money do you want to spend?  Because a lot of the more "portable" options aren't going to be cheap.  It might be more feasible to use your phone as transport and e17 for amp/dac assuming you don't have a super thick phone.

If that's plain undoable, the e12 is going to be best bet.

Unfortunately my phone is about as thick as my Zune. I'd like to spend less than $100; $50 would be ideal. I was considering using a CMoy. I was also looking at the e11 and e12.

Anyways, regardless of the budget constraint, I'd just like to read up on amps just to know what's out there.

I have an E11 and its cheap/great. I use it every single day and before bed. When I was looking for a portable amp I read alot of reviews and forum posts, and the E11 seemed like a much better value vs the E12. Its also smaller for, you know, portability. My Schitt Magni desktop amp is less expensive than the E12 so thats something to consider.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 February 2014, 18:31:31 by zoolzoo »
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #256 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 19:36:05 »
I've had multiple opportunities to check out the E11 Zoolzoo, but I'm worried about the build quality. It seems like the cases aren't the best and break often. But I really think for the cost of the amps, the sound is great

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #257 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 05:11:57 »
I've had multiple opportunities to check out the E11 Zoolzoo, but I'm worried about the build quality. It seems like the cases aren't the best and break often. But I really think for the cost of the amps, the sound is great

Ah sorry I missed that part. I think the E12 is a metal case then right? That might be better for you for sure if you need alot more durability. I didnt consider that since my E11 doesnt really leave my house all that much.
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline Larken

« Reply #258 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 04:57:08 »
My first amp purchase ever. A Littledot MKIII  ;D

Makes for a great pairing for my q701s, especially with the highs. Less noticeable with the DT880s, as it was a pretty genre-friendly headphone in the first place, but an improvement nonetheless.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #259 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 15:03:26 »
That's a good looking setup.  I like the braiding on those cables there, too.

Offline Larken

« Reply #260 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 01:14:10 »
thanks. was a good few hours of elbow grease making those, but the results were worth it imo. I'm still burning the tubes in, but I like what I hear so far.

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #261 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 11:42:36 »

Agreed. That's a really nice looking setup Larken. How did you make that headphone stand (Assuming you made it)?

Ah sorry I missed that part. I think the E12 is a metal case then right? That might be better for you for sure if you need alot more durability. I didnt consider that since my E11 doesnt really leave my house all that much.

The E11 my friend was using only at work was metal but the cover for the battery came off. When I was traveling around, I tried two or three E11s which also had that issue where the cover was coming off. Because of what I've seen, I'm not into the E11 for traveling. I think the E12 is a metal case but I didn't get to try one...but I think you might be right.

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #262 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 13:06:49 »
no...

have you tried EQing the bass in?
I tried Beats once, and to me that seems like saying "Okay, so I know this poop smells bad, but put it in a smellier pile of poop and it's not that bad".
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline blackbox

« Reply #263 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 14:53:43 »

Agreed. That's a really nice looking setup Larken. How did you make that headphone stand (Assuming you made it)?

As I see it it is a standard microphone stand:

Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #264 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 18:18:35 »
Look what Im going to be building this weekend!

Offline Larken

« Reply #265 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 22:13:44 »

As I see it it is a standard microphone stand:

blackbox's got that correct. It's just one of those boom/drum mic stands I'm hanging my headphones off. bought it for use for dictation, but never quite worked out, so works pretty good for hanging all my audio stuff on. :) It's usually on the floor though.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #266 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 08:22:32 »
blackbox's got that correct. It's just one of those boom/drum mic stands I'm hanging my headphones off. bought it for use for dictation, but never quite worked out, so works pretty good for hanging all my audio stuff on. :) It's usually on the floor though.

Aww, I was hoping it was some really cool custom metal stand. I'm still looking for a headphone stand for my cans.

Offline Larken

« Reply #267 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 09:34:48 »

Aww, I was hoping it was some really cool custom metal stand. I'm still looking for a headphone stand for my cans.

I'm not a huge fan of paying high prices for something that has the basic functionality of a banana hanger (google that. You'd see that some headphone stands are just prettied up versions). Otherwise, its mainly just a question of aesthetics.

If there's a bestbuy near you, you could probably check and pick up a few of these for real cheap.  No idea bout the quality, but at 3 bucks... *shrug*
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfish%26%23153%3B+-+Rocketfish%26%23153%3B+Universal+Headset+Stand/3526165.p?id=1218408987392&skuId=3526165&st=Video_Game_Sale_20120812&cp=4&lp=2&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=website

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #268 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 09:37:02 »
I've just been using huge binder clips. Clipped em to the side of my desk and then hang the headphones on the legs. Was hoping to get a nice metal one for cheap or a wood one. But it's not an urgent need. That rocketfish stand is interesting though.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #269 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 10:01:22 »
I've just been using huge binder clips. Clipped em to the side of my desk and then hang the headphones on the legs. Was hoping to get a nice metal one for cheap or a wood one. But it's not an urgent need. That rocketfish stand is interesting though.

Another alternative is this:

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/hh-10
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!

Offline Doyniish

• Good you
    • Power Hour Playlists
« Reply #270 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 00:57:51 »
Anybody here have/using a Topping TP30? I'm thinking about picking one up soon.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #271 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 18:22:36 »

You may spend over double that but the Aune T1 is a much better buy.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #272 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 08:14:28 »
Just commited for the Aune T1 on massdrop. Will be my first dac/amp. Can't wait to see the difference with my DT-880.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #273 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 10:55:39 »
Just commited for the Aune T1 on massdrop. Will be my first dac/amp. Can't wait to see the difference with my DT-880.

Think you'll enjoy.

I got the Aune T1 as my first dac/amp not too long ago, and it inspired me to get something for the office too (went with Vali to mix things up)

Offline Doyniish

• Good you
    • Power Hour Playlists
« Reply #274 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 11:55:39 »

Alrighty thanks for the response. Maybe i'll just wait and save up more fore the T1.

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #275 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 06:45:40 »
I am currently building my project ember kit, its coming out great so far. The one thing I am wondering about is what type of wire lead i should use to ground the volume potentiometer. The kit doesnt include anything and it doesnt mention what to use in the instructions. I have some solid hook up wire laying around, and I also have some kanthal resistance wire. Would those work? If not what should I buy? I tried asking on head-fi but it seems like those dudes are better at buying expensive **** than answering simple questions. Here's a pic:

figured it out...just need to use a snipped piece of wire from an installed component. I should have known that.

« Last Edit: Sat, 22 March 2014, 08:33:12 by zoolzoo »

Offline blackbox

« Reply #276 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 10:02:48 »
Beyerdynamic DT770 with abrahamsen a-dac 2 and schiit asgaard 2 headphone amplifier(a picture from earlier this year:

I might upgrade to an qnktc ab1.2 dac.

The LAN table!

Offline ajunakey

« Reply #277 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 21:52:37 »
anyone here using hd650s? would love to hear what amp/dac you guys went with

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #278 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 23:57:32 »

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52240.0#post_pt7

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #279 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 23:59:19 »

Binge tested them in his audio hell thread and everything I see says they pair well with OTL tube amps or even something like the vali from Schiit.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #280 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 01:52:33 »
Beyerdynamic DT770 with abrahamsen a-dac 2 and schiit asgaard 2 headphone amplifier(a picture from earlier this year).
I might upgrade to an qnktc ab1.2 dac.

The LAN table!

Offline ajunakey

« Reply #281 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 15:40:33 »

Binge tested them in his audio hell thread and everything I see says they pair well with OTL tube amps or even something like the vali from Schiit.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52240.0#post_pt7

ah thanks fellas. Really great reviews Binge. I was feeding my HD650 to the YuLong DA8 not too long ago

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #282 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 15:41:56 »
I was feeding my HD650 to the YuLong DA8 not too long ago

Sounds like some really weird Skyrim quest. :))

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #283 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 19:51:57 »
I built this baby over the weekend, sounding amazing. I already have some tubes en route.  ^-^

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #284 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 19:53:24 »
I built this baby over the weekend, sounding amazing. I already have some tubes en route.  ^-^

Show Image

How hard was it to build?

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #285 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 20:12:29 »

Show Image

How hard was it to build?

If you have built a keyboard before, you can do it. There are some soldering sections where you have to be a little precise but that's it. The manual is pretty good. You just take your time, be careful, and have fun.

Offline ajunakey

« Reply #286 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 00:13:55 »

Show Image

whoa, thing is beautiful. what are you pairing these babies up with?

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #287 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 05:58:50 »

Show Image

whoa, thing is beautiful. what are you pairing these babies up with?

I have Grado/Alessandro MS2i's and Beyer DT 990 Pro's. The Grado's really sing on it. What im most pleasantly surprised by is how the tube has rounded out my DT 990's.....really enjoying these phones even more.

Offline kaz

« Reply #288 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 08:09:01 »

I've had a SMSL SAD-25 for a while now and I love it. I believe they're exactly the same aside from a different OP amp (which is socketed and replaceable). PM me if you want more of a run down.
Cherry G80-11800 (Workhorse) | Cherry G80-11900 | \'93 IBM Model M | Apple M0116

Offline nzhao20

« Reply #289 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 09:20:28 »
Any comments on SSMH?

Offline Doyniish

• Good you
    • Power Hour Playlists
« Reply #290 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 12:58:14 »

I've had a SMSL SAD-25 for a while now and I love it. I believe they're exactly the same aside from a different OP amp (which is socketed and replaceable). PM me if you want more of a run down.

Awesome, thank you for your input!

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #291 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 13:13:58 »

how is SMSL? They're really cheap but I don't know much about its quality

Offline ajunakey

« Reply #292 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 18:33:17 »
anyone here using a Denon D5000/D7000? Currently looking for a D7000, but they are nearly impossible to find  :'(

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #293 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 18:47:38 »
anyone here using a Denon D5000/D7000? Currently looking for a D7000, but they are nearly impossible to find  :'(

There's one on eBay now.

Otherwise perhaps the Fostex TH900s are a good alternative

Offline ajunakey

« Reply #294 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 18:50:44 »

There's one on eBay now.

yeah I saw that one. I'd much prefer a bone-stock one. TH900 is better, but way too expensive for me lol

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #295 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 18:57:22 »

There's one on eBay now.

yeah I saw that one. I'd much prefer a bone-stock one. TH900 is better, but way too expensive for me lol

Ahh gotcha.

Perhaps the TH600s (I'm pretty happy with my pair)? They're on-sale over at Massdrop now... from Noblehifi regarding TH600 vs D7000
Their sonic characteristics are about 95-98% the same

Offline ajunakey

« Reply #296 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 20:55:56 »

There's one on eBay now.

Ahh gotcha.

Perhaps the TH600s (I'm pretty happy with my pair)? They're on-sale over at Massdrop now... from Noblehifi regarding TH600 vs D7000
Their sonic characteristics are about 95-98% the same

oh you have a TH600?! How do you like them in terms of comfort & sound?

Offline sockit2me

« Reply #297 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 02:47:40 »
Anyone using O2?

Offline Larken

« Reply #298 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 02:16:23 »
added a pupdac to my audio chain.

loads of smd to put together, definitely not meant for a beginner. Wasn't sure if I could get it working, so didn't order the case with it. DIYed a stand using some scrap acrylic + bolts and nuts.

Sounds noticeably better than a Asus Essence STX modded with LME49720 OPamps, though not by a large margin. One annoying quirk is how the dac doesn't respond at all to windows volume control; not a big deal for those linking to an amp, since they'll be controlling the volume using the amp instead.

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #299 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 04:55:56 »
added a pupdac to my audio chain.

Show Image

loads of smd to put together, definitely not meant for a beginner. Wasn't sure if I could get it working, so didn't order the case with it. DIYed a stand using some scrap acrylic + bolts and nuts.

Sounds noticeably better than a Asus Essence STX modded with LME49720 OPamps, though not by a large margin. One annoying quirk is how the dac doesn't respond at all to windows volume control; not a big deal for those linking to an amp, since they'll be controlling the volume using the amp instead.

Cute little thing. Custom mount? I see on the beezar site there is a blue enclosure.