Author Topic: My DIY Chording Keyboard Hardware - Build Log  (Read 1850 times)

Offline trishume

• My Website
My DIY Chording Keyboard Hardware - Build Log
« on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 20:04:09 »
This summer after graduating high school I spent my summer building a chording keyboard that uses a lot of ideas and techniques I found on Geekhack so I thought I'd share my finished build and the things I learned along the way. I wrote up a 3,000 word build log that should be a helpful look into the full process of designing and building a keyboard from scratch. When I started I had read a few guides on Geekhack and everything looked straightforward, but I hadn't thought of all design steps and prototypes I would have to do to get to the kind of polished build that I saw here.

After working on it for a good portion of the summer the finished product turned out pretty great. It has some features that are fairly rare among keyboards including palm keys, low force (modified) Cherry MX red switches, a carrying handle, and even an LCD display. I haven't written the chording firmware yet but eventually I should be able to type at 200WPM on this thing.

Here is the full build log/blog post: http://thume.ca/2014/09/08/creating-a-keyboard-1-hardware/

Offline jacobolus

Re: My DIY Chording Keyboard Hardware - Build Log
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 20:57:33 »
Awesome work so far!

I’d love to hear more details about your design goals and process (for instance, how did you decide how many keys to include and their positioning? do you have a plan for the assignment of keys to outputs? did you ever consider angling the two halves inward, or tenting them, before deciding on this current flat parallel setup?), and also hear a review of how it is to use now that it’s been built.

The lighter-force MX red switches sound way too light for me: what made you want to have such low-force switches?

Definitely keep us posted on how the chording setup works out, etc.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 September 2014, 21:06:58 by jacobolus »

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 22:17:28 »
Wish my local library had a laser cutter and 3D printer.

Awesome work!
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline trishume

• My Website
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 18:01:53 »
Awesome work so far!

I’d love to hear more details about your design goals and process (for instance, how did you decide how many keys to include and their positioning? do you have a plan for the assignment of keys to outputs? did you ever consider angling the two halves inward, or tenting them, before deciding on this current flat parallel setup?), and also hear a review of how it is to use now that it’s been built.

The lighter-force MX red switches sound way too light for me: what made you want to have such low-force switches?

Definitely keep us posted on how the chording setup works out, etc.

The layout design was based on taking the Velotype layout and adding keys until I had enough to cover all normal keyboard keys. I decided not to angle the sides because the parallel is actually more comfortable, it just requires a wider keyboard, which I didn't mind. I decided not to tent the sides because that would have made the whole thing more difficult to make, and it had already taken long enough.

The reason for the super light switches is that I trust the designers of the Velotype that when you are pressing many keys at once constantly with normal key switches it gets tiring, they have much more chording keyboard experience than I do. So I took their idea of using low force switches, although I couldn't get mine quite as light as theirs, but they still activate with a very light touch.

Low force switches aren't optimal for normal typing (I accidentally hit keys all the time) but for chording the stroking motion is actually a totally different movement which doesn't cause problems with low force keys. It is more of an up and down movement of the hands pushed from the forearms, rearranging the fingers between strokes. The only benefit for normal typing is that they are way less tiring, I typed that entire 3000 word article over 3 hours with less fatigue than it took me to write this forum post.