Author Topic: Ergodox firmware issue  (Read 1544 times)

Offline persuasionlaser

Ergodox firmware issue
« on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 09:12:46 »
I finished soldering up my ergodox pcb, backplate and everything. I install the firmware, just like the instructions on massdrop tell me to, everything seems fine. Only problem being, none of my keystrokes register. I've gone through the install a couple of times now, with a .hex file i've made and one that was already made, but nothing. No keystrokes register.

I'm kind of freaking out internally over here. Can anyone help me troubleshoot?

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
Re: Ergodox firmware issue
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 16:29:28 »
How much testing did you do between having a pile of parts, and assembling the keyboard?

First step, use a cheap multimeter to prove the diodes are all connected to the pads they're supposedly soldered to. Then before you solder keyswitches, use a program like aquakeys, and your newly flashed, plugged in board, to see if any keystrokes register.

There are steps in between, again using a multimeter and assuming bare PCBs with no switches, that will let you find any problems before they're buried in acrylic. Good photos are often helpful for folks online to diagnose such things too.

Also: when you plug it in, what does your computer say you just plugged in?
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 October 2014, 16:31:14 by AKmalamute »

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 17:05:44 »
I was just going to make a new thread asking for help about this problem.

Here's a bit more information about the problem (Linux x86_64 host):

- The Teensy can be programmed without a problem.
- Running a simple blink example on the Teensy works as expected.
- When pressing the physical reset button on the Teensy when it's plugged into the computer the Halfkay bootloader runs and the device is recognized by the OS:

(output from /var/log/kern.log)
Code: [Select]
Oct  3 19:58:10 shinji kernel: [10740.252579] usb 8-2: new full-speed USB device number 55 using uhci_hcd
Oct  3 19:58:11 shinji kernel: [10740.403434] usb 8-2: New USB device found, idVendor=16c0, idProduct=0478
Oct  3 19:58:11 shinji kernel: [10740.403440] usb 8-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0
Oct  3 19:58:11 shinji kernel: [10740.407815] hid-generic 0003:16C0:0478.0048: hidraw4: USB HID v1.11 Device [HID 16c0:0478] on usb-0000:00:1d.2-2/input0

However the actual keyboard is not recognized when being plugged in. I have the same problem on all versions of the firmware I have tested.

Also, I opened up a issue on github to seek help about this problem: https://github.com/benblazak/ergodox-firmware/issues/52

All help is appreciated.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 October 2014, 17:09:20 by loginprivacyphilosophy »

Offline persuasionlaser

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 17:38:53 »
How much testing did you do between having a pile of parts, and assembling the keyboard?

First step, use a cheap multimeter to prove the diodes are all connected to the pads they're supposedly soldered to. Then before you solder keyswitches, use a program like aquakeys, and your newly flashed, plugged in board, to see if any keystrokes register.

There are steps in between, again using a multimeter and assuming bare PCBs with no switches, that will let you find any problems before they're buried in acrylic. Good photos are often helpful for folks online to diagnose such things too.

Also: when you plug it in, what does your computer say you just plugged in?

I don't know about that stuff man. I just soldered the components together as carefully as I could, ran the firmware, but no keystrokes work. I was looking on the teensy website though, and the instructions for the firmware only goes up to windows 7/vista. Of course it worked fine on my Windows 8.1 as well but maybe that's it? I'll have to test with an old laptop.

As for what the pc says when it's plugged in, it doesn't display anything. In control panel it's listed as a usb device under keyboards/mice with a keyboard icon.

Retested the teensy, fast and slow blinking work so I really have no clue what it could be.
There are a few globs of solder out of place around the board but that shouldn't really mean anything.

EDIT- windows 7 doesn't change anything.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 October 2014, 17:51:55 by persuasionlaser »

Offline OldDataHands

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 20:28:16 »
post close-up, in-focus pictures of your work. 3x check your diode orientation.
many hundreds use that firmware on teensy. your circuit, somehow, is the issue.
post pics to help us help you figure out how/why.

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 03:18:33 »
I think I have have figured out why my Ergodox isn't recognized by my computer. It seems that there is something wrong with the serial communication!

I downloaded Teensyduino, compiled and uploaded this program to my Teensy:

void setup()   {               
  Serial.begin(38400);
}

void loop()                     
{
  Serial.println("Hello World");
  delay(1000);
}

This should output "Hello World" every second to the Serial Monitor. However, what actually happens is that this is outputted ONCE:

�#9<
HZ

That data is random, so each time I restart the Teensy that data is different.

I just seems so wierd that programming the Teensy via Halfkay bootloader works without a problem, but the actual serial communication in a program doesn't.

Anyway, I guess I have to recheck all soldering and if I can't find anything I'll upload some pictures.