Author Topic: Custom Cherry MX Stems  (Read 2656 times)

Offline NeoNoeN

Custom Cherry MX Stems
« on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 17:31:33 »
I was thinking that it should be possible to make custom stems for MX compatible switches, but that it would require scale 3d models for the stems. Has anyone scanned the stems in with a 3d scanner or have a scale model of a switch? It should be relatively cheap to 3d print for prototyping.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Re: Custom Cherry MX Stems
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 21:48:45 »
I was thinking that it should be possible to make custom stems for MX compatible switches, but that it would require scale 3d models for the stems. Has anyone scanned the stems in with a 3d scanner or have a scale model of a switch? It should be relatively cheap to 3d print for prototyping.

Fair warning proper prototyping for MX stems would still be best served with still doing injection molding.  The biggest reason is manufacturing tolerances are extremely tight with injection molding compared to 3d printing.  I am not trying to rain on your parade and hope the best but I don't see 3d printing having the tolerances tight enough for anything us hobbiests can afford.  At least not in this application.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 22:14:11 »

If you just want to change the color of the stems, all you need is dye.

If you want a different level of tactility... heh... heh...
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 22:15:51 »

If you just want to change the color of the stems, all you need is dye.

If you want a different level of tactility... heh... heh...

Yup.  My sentiments.   If you want more tactility than MX has to offer I hear Alps and Topre are more tactile and buckling springs are much more tactile than MX.  The one issue here is any of those other options have much less to offer in the terms of customization than MX.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline NeoNoeN

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 23:47:05 »
Damn, I thought it would be pretty awesome to have personalized switches but I guess that doesn't really seem too possible. I thought that it would have been awesome to make super tactile switches and bumpy linears and stuff.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 00:02:22 »
Damn, I thought it would be pretty awesome to have personalized switches but I guess that doesn't really seem too possible. I thought that it would have been awesome to make super tactile switches and bumpy linears and stuff.

So Browns?

Kidding aside, there have been some done.  There were some recently done in China.  My one problem with them is I don't think they made the legs long enough, so they can get a bit sticky.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 07:46:11 »

Fair warning proper prototyping for MX stems would still be best served with still doing injection molding.  The biggest reason is manufacturing tolerances are extremely tight with injection molding compared to 3d printing.  I am not trying to rain on your parade and hope the best but I don't see 3d printing having the tolerances tight enough for anything us hobbiests can afford.  At least not in this application.

Could you machine some POM precise enough?

So Browns?

Kidding aside, there have been some done.  There were some recently done in China.  My one problem with them is I don't think they made the legs long enough, so they can get a bit sticky.
Look for "pink stem" mx.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 10:58:12 »
They're also done in Orange.

Offline OverKill

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 11:24:03 »
If you have access to a mill, you could make a few molds and then use http://www.injectionmolder.net/ to prototype with. It is a pretty neat machine but I have never actually used one before. There are other machines like it out there, google "table top injection mold machine"

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 17:38:01 »
I thought that it would have been awesome to make super tactile switches and bumpy linears and stuff.
Have you tried Clears? It is quite tactile. By changing the spring, it can be made less stiff. It needs lubrication to feel as smooth as the less tactile switches, though.

The Chinese "orange" switch slider is supposedly a middle-ground between Clear and Brown.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 October 2014, 17:41:21 by Findecanor »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 20:13:56 »
The Chinese "orange" switch slider is supposedly a middle-ground between Clear and Brown.

They were originally pink but were done in orange for a recent Chinese GB.  I have a set.  They are between Browns and Clears.  I haven't tried them with an ergo weight yet, but at 67g they feel like marginally bumpier Browns.  Some run into the issue of grabby legs though.  I don't think the legs were made long enough, so they sometimes catch a little.  I expect them to have a bigger bump closer to Brown weighting, just waiting on my sprit springs.