Author Topic: What I've Learned About Making Plates  (Read 3047 times)

Offline Techpriest

What I've Learned About Making Plates
« on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 16:28:08 »
Hello,
I just wanted to give a brief run down of some of the lessons I've learned going into manufacturing for the first time for an end-user product. 

1. Check with the manufacturing company to see what type of clients they primarily work with.
Some shops will work more with industrial consumers and some with commercial.  The important distinction between these two groups of clients is that industrial clients don't care how their parts look as long as they function, however commercial customers will generally care far more about the appearance of something.  An example would be a shop that exclusively produces forklift bearings vs a company that produces stainless steel signs.  They might both have the same equipment, but the difference in how they handle their materials and what the end product looks like could be tremendous.

2. Don't use aluminum.
Aluminum has several keys flaws when it comes to their use as plates, most of these can be overcome through hard work, but that's not really what you want to be doing.  Aluminum will have slight thermal warping due to the intense heat of the laser, this will make it difficult if you intend to paint your plates since you have to be creative with the way you sand.  Aluminum is easily scratched, this will make it more likely you will get a less cosmetically appealing product from the manufacturer.  Aluminum bends easily, if you intend to ship these out in the mail, you will most likely need to use a more expensive box instead of a flat mailer. 

3. Always get multiple quotes.
The variance between shops can be as high as a 100% difference.

4. Design your plates with imperial measurements.
Most of the shops in the US will be more familiar and comfortable with imperial, most the steel sheets also come in imperial sizing, so converting this to metric will be a matter of compromise.

5. If this is your first time making them, make no assumptions.
Ask as many questions as you can to as many people as possible.  Ask us here on geekhack, ask the manufacturer, ask some guy who works at a metal shop.  Some things to think about include: How will the finish come out on these plates?  If mill finish, what can I do to make this rust resistant/hold up to moisture?  What is mill finish?  Will this material be dense enough to dampen the acoustic vibrations of the keyswitches?  and always ask, what is your policy if I'm not satisfied with your work?

I hope anyone who is considering making plates will find this useful as a basic guide if you have never done any manufacturing.

Thanks,
Techpriest

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: What I've Learned About Making Plates
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 20:11:34 »
I think I just opened up a treasure chest and gold started pouring out of it.

This post is full of good info. I can second the "don't use aluminum" personally, the rest is solid advice.

Offline neverused

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 21:49:05 »
Any suggestions for manufacturers in the USA? Either steel or acrylic?

Offline Techpriest

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 23:19:48 »
Definitely steel, acrylic warps under it's own weight over time.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 23:48:58 »
Definitely steel, acrylic warps under it's own weight over time.
it's great for mocking up new layouts for a quick test before committing them to steel production though.

Offline neverused

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 00:40:21 »
Which manufacturer would you suggest?

Offline Techpriest

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 00:58:41 »
As far as manufacturers, your best bet is to look in the closest major city, it's best if you can avoid having them shipped, since they will be heavy, they will be expensive to ship.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 01:06:36 »
Will this material be dense enough to dampen the acoustic vibrations of the keyswitches?
You’re asking because you want a plate that resonates properly for that old-time typewriter sound, right?

Offline Techpriest

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 17:23:19 »
I've noticed that aluminum causes the sound of the keycaps hitting the housing to echo through the keyboard case.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 17:29:08 »
Thanks for making this thread. All this info is wonderful :).

Offline p3lim

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 12:28:12 »
Can attest to the quotes, I just ordered my 60% custom plate from a company for around $70 (incl. shipping), where as one of the other 11 companies I checked with ranged up to $180 for a single plate!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 12:34:00 »
Can attest to the quotes, I just ordered my 60% custom plate from a company for around $70 (incl. shipping), where as one of the other 11 companies I checked with ranged up to $180 for a single plate!

And someone on Reddit was complaining about a $60 quote.  I told them that was dirt cheap.

Offline p3lim

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 13:11:40 »

And someone on Reddit was complaining about a $60 quote.  I told them that was dirt cheap.

Keep in mind that this is in Norway, everything is expensive here in comparison, although this route is cheaper than paying import fees and taxes.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 15:20:09 »
Yea, I would have expected a one-off 60% plate to go at least $100. You got a bargain.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 23:39:55 »
A Gh'er got a one-off 87 (lightsaver size) stainless steel plate for about $110. The quality was very nice, but I had to sand it before installing.