Author Topic: Transplant Surgery Between Realforce 104U (Variable) and Type Heaven (45g)  (Read 5848 times)

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
So I've wanting to do this for a long while now just didn't have the balls or extra cash to spend to do this.

I've always find Variable Topre feels too light and inconsistent (well duh because it's variable) for me.  Because the nature of my job I need a full size keyboard, was really hoping to find a 45g uniform.  Massdrop had the 104UB-DK (45g) on sale before but I hesitated and missed the drop.

Luckily my fiance is awesome so she bought me an extra Type Heaven for Christmas just for parts so I finally have all the things I need for this happen.

Setting the keyboards in place.

88692-0 88694-1 88696-2

Topre's case is actually really easy to open, pop the tabs from the bottom of keyboard first then to do the tabs at top then it will open with no screws.

88698-3 88700-4

That being said Type Heaven's case is such a pain to open, the bottom screws are easy to remove, but the tabs at the other side is really tight and hard to get into.

88702-5 88704-6 88706-7

I even bent my fiance's nail thing (to pry into the gap) I hope she won't kill me.  >_____>

88708-8 88710-9
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 January 2015, 10:56:44 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Hyde

Re: Transplant Surgery Between Realforce 104U (Variable) and Type Heaven (45g)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 23:28:11 »
At last it's open !

88712-0

Realforce 104U controller and PCB label:

88714-188716-2

Type Heaven controller and PCB label:

88718-3 88720-4

And to remove the PCB, I had to remove A LOT of screws...... =_____=

88722-5 88724-6
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 January 2015, 23:55:01 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Hyde

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 23:28:20 »
Now after the PCBs are removed now we get to see the domes.  :thumb:

88729-0

Realforce 104U rubber sheet:

88731-1 88733-2 88735-3

Type Heaven rubber sheet:

88737-4 88739-5 88741-6

Notice the Realforce 104U use a giant sheet and Type Heaven's sheet are all in small pieces.
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 January 2015, 23:55:31 by Hyde »

Offline Hyde

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 23:28:41 »
Notice how Realforce has silver plate and Type Heaven has black plate:

88746-0 88748-1

Now I have swapped the rubber sheet AND the springs over to the other side.

88750-2 88752-3 88754-4 88756-5 88758-6

Do note that Realforce comes with GOLD springs and Type Heaven come with SILVER springs, since I have swap it over so now the silver spring lands on the Realforce and the gold spring lands on the Type Heaven side.

In comparison I find the silver spring a bit stiffer, resulting the 45g with silver spring (stock Type Heaven) feels heavier than the 45g with gold spring (stock Realforce).

I like heavier so moved both the spring (silver) and rubber sheet over from Type Heaven to Realforce.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 January 2015, 00:04:01 by Hyde »

Offline Hyde

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 23:42:25 »
How the switch connection looks like under the PCB.

88760-0 88762-1

Now after all is done just put the PCB back and put all the screws back then done !  :thumb:

88764-2 88766-3 88768-4

I'd say even though this is actually a lot pain in the butt to move all the rubber sheet over and springs over, but I think it's totally worth it and now I have my very own 45g Topre Realforce 104U.

And I will be selling my newly made variable Type Heaven to recoup some of the cost.

Sorry for the massive amount of pics and mods if you feel like this better belongs in the media section then feel free to move it.

But hopefully this will give some insights for those that want to take apart your Topre keyboards.

;)
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 January 2015, 08:59:37 by Hyde »

Offline Valen

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 19:57:35 »
Nice! Thanks for sharing. I love pictures (nude). ;D

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 20:13:05 »
Glad you finally got your uniform 45g Hyde! Unscrewing all those screws off those pcbs looks so tedious, but I'm sure the final result was worth it!  ;D
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 20:36:54 »
Thanks for sharing this I'm probably going to be taking a type heaven apart soon.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 10:00:40 »
Glad you finally got your uniform 45g Hyde! Unscrewing all those screws off those pcbs looks so tedious, but I'm sure the final result was worth it!  ;D

Haha thanks, yes it was totally worth it.

Though I find it odd that the new 45g Realforce feel a tiny bit lighter than my other stock Type Heaven.

Maybe it's just placebo effect not too sure, I'll do some testing later.  :P

Thanks for sharing this I'm probably going to be taking a type heaven apart soon.

Cool what you plan to do to it?  :D

Also keep in mind one side of the Type Heaven case is pain in the butt to open.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 10:21:01 »

I'm planning on lubing and silencing it. And possibly cutting it up into little pieces. :eek:

Offline Hyde

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 17:10:03 »

I'm planning on lubing and silencing it. And possibly cutting it up into little pieces. :eek:

lol nice ~  I find at times I still have trouble deciding if I like my Realforce better or Type Heaven better, there are different things that I like about each keyboards.

But good luck on your mod let us know how it goes !

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 00:53:10 »
Thanks for posting this! You gave me the courage & technique to open up my HHKB again and get the domes back in (near) perfect alignment, and now I feel more comfortable redoing the ironed landing pads silence mod on the few keys that didn't quite turn out like the rest of the board :thumb:
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 19:33:05 »
Thanks for posting this! You gave me the courage & technique to open up my HHKB again and get the domes back in (near) perfect alignment, and now I feel more comfortable redoing the ironed landing pads silence mod on the few keys that didn't quite turn out like the rest of the board :thumb:

Haha sweet !  Good to know it turns out good for you.  To be honest this is the first time I take apart a Topre also.

A little bit scary but good to know it turns out good in the end.  :D

Offline Hyde

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 23:49:32 »
So I've been reading around.

Out of all the people that owned Type Heaven and Realforce, it seems to be the majority feels that Type Heaven's 45g is heavier than Realforce's 45g.  (although 1 guy did say the opposite)

But for anyone out there that have tried both, can you confirm / deny this claim?

Offline RexS

• SILENCE THE TOPRE
I want to add to this for anyone else who needs to cleanly open a Type Heaven keyboard.  After removing the four visible screws on the back, I used an old plastic credit card and pulling gently from the removed screw side was able to open a tiny gap where I could run the card down. You will identify four tabs which need to be displaced. Once the card runs in to one, lift up that front corner of the card, move it forward a bit and then jam it down into the tab.  The card should bottom out and you will have the tab free. I was able to pop all four tabs in under 30 seconds.

Note: the card I used was from a local shop that accrues points so it wasn't actually a credit card, but slightly thinner. This also resulted in a slightly rough/marred edge on the card, but absolutely zero damage to the Type Heaven.