Author Topic: Universal Model M Controller  (Read 2427 times)

Offline phosphorglow

• Model M Mechanic.
    • Phosphor Glow
Universal Model M Controller
« on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 04:40:59 »
Hi ya'll! I'm like a cat when it comes to forums - I come around when I want attention or I have something I want to leave in your shoe. So here's a little something and it isn't dead. ^_^

I'm still working out small details and would like some input/ideas/see if anyone catches a silly mistake I've made. I know there have been other similar projects but they seem to have fizzled out or didn't have what I was wanting. Anyhoo, here's what we have: AT90USB1286 (Soarer's Controller/TMK/homebrew firmware), FFC connector pins for the various revisions (early with separate LED connector, later Lexmark era with LED traces integrated into the circuit membrane, SSK, 122 key, etc.), reset button next to USB connector (it will be a right angle button even though the picture shows a flat one), access to unused I/O ports and a little breadboard area for fiddling/expansion, and a right angle ground terminal for the plate. Since I enjoy soldering by hand I went with 1206 SMD's and the TQFP64.

I still need to add in the drill holes for mounting to the steel plate, and when used in those applications the ribbon connectors can be soldered to the other side. Also need a drill hole to accommodate the later M's with the smaller controller (there's the little foot-nub in the case that would interfere with its size). I'm thinking about putting in pads for a Mini USB connector since there seems to be space for the sake of personal preference. I prefer the sturdy USB-B, but I know other people like the mini. I don't have a Wheelwriter board, but since IBM was pretty consistent, it probably fits as well.

The exception at this point is the M13. Yes it would fit, but no Trackpoint provisions. Which leads me to a side question: can TMK firmware as a converter (not controller) handle PS/2 inputs for keyboard and mouse simultaneously? I remember reading it was problematic but haven't looked into it much since then.

When it's finalized I'll make available the design files. This is my first time designing a PCB and I'm using Fritzing to do so.

Ideas/suggestions/requests?

Offline geniekid

Re: Universal Model M Controller
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 11:06:00 »
I have nothing constructive to say.  This is a cool project and is a nicer solution for modernizing Model Ms than using an internal/external convertor. :thumb:

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 09:20:53 »
Yes, this is a wonderful idea.  Much better response in the same thread over on DT.

USB mod your Model M with reprogrammable functionality!!
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 13:11:47 »
Yes, this is a wonderful idea.  Much better response in the same thread over on DT.

Posting so I get updates on this project and to see if quoting you actually breaks the forum software.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 13:11:53 »

Posting so I get updates on this project and to see if quoting you actually breaks the forum software.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 13:18:26 »

No, but you did double post. :D

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 15:19:58 »

No, but you did double post. :D

yep, im currently

a) tired

and

b) an idiot

so thats why i double posted :D