Author Topic: What manga are you reading right now?  (Read 3733 times)

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
What manga are you reading right now?
« on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 14:33:15 »
I've given up on the blockbuster ones, but still have my proverbial eggs in these baskets:

yotsubato
bartender

my life is so exciting, i need to dull it down with some slice of life. sooooo good
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
Re: What manga are you reading right now?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 14:44:05 »
Trouble Darkness
Freezing
Kangoku Gakuen
Dragons Rioting
Nana to Kaoru

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 14:48:44 »
Berserk
One Punch Man
Groove Adventure Rave (Rave Master)
Soul Eater

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 14:49:14 »
According to my manga reading app, I'm currently reading/have read over 300 series.... **** I am an addict............

I read every update from my list that is pulled by the app but the following are the series I look forward to reading the most each week (in no particular order):

1. Danmachi
2. UQ Holder (Ken Akamatsu's works were a huge part of my teen years)
3. Ruler of the Land
4. Girls the Wilds
5. The Gamer
6. Fuuka (not a particular fan but I'm reading this because I've read all of Seo Kouji's previous works)
7. Rin (Harold Sakuishi... 'nuff said)
8. Yamada kun to 7 nin
9. Kingdom
10. Shokugeki no Soma
11. Koe no Katachi (sad that it ended so abruptly but this was one of the most heartwarming stories in recent years)

Tons of other good stuff but if I were to list everything I currently enjoy, the list would quite literally be pages long...

Also, a lot of key series are missing from this list because recently I've preferred reading light novels for more in depth character development and what not. Here are a few of my favorites:

1. Mushoku Tensei
2. Blade Dance
3. SAO
4. Utsuro no Hako
5. Doulou Dalu (Combat Continent)

In terms of the medium I prefer to consume these series:
Light Novel (if available) > Manga > Anime (I can't remember the last time I actually watched anime... although that Ultimate Blade Works anime is really tempting me)
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 March 2015, 14:50:49 by Sygaldry »
null

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 14:51:43 »
According to my manga reading app, I'm currently reading/have read over 300 series.... **** I am an addict............

I read every update from my list that is pulled by the app but the following are the series I look forward to reading the most each week (in no particular order):

1. Danmachi
3. Ruler of the Land
4. Girls the Wilds
5. The Gamer
6. Fuuka (not a particular fan but I'm reading this because I've read all of Seo Kouji's previous works)
8. Yamada kun to 7 nin
9. Kingdom
10. Shokugeki no Soma
11. Koe no Katachi (sad that it ended so abruptly but this was one of the most heartwarming stories in recent years)

Tons of other good stuff but if I were to list everything I currently enjoy, the list would quite literally be pages long...

Also, a lot of key series are missing from this list because recently I've preferred reading light novels for more in depth character development and what not. Here are a few of my favorites:

1. Mushoku Tensei
2. Blade Dance
3. SAO
4. Utsuro no Hako

Light Novel (if available) > Manga > Anime (I can't remember the last time I actually watched anime... although that Ultimate Blade Works anime is really tempting me)

wow you are hard core pls teach me
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 15:00:14 »

1. Danmachi
3. Ruler of the Land
4. Girls the Wilds
5. The Gamer
8. Yamada kun to 7 nin
9. Kingdom
10. Shokugeki no Soma

1. Mushoku Tensei
2. Blade Dance
3. SAO
4. Utsuro no Hako

wow you are hard core pls teach me
Young grasshopper,

It all starts with finding a good manga reading app.

I use Manga Storm on my iPad. Probably the best iOS manga reader. Unfortunately, the best features are premium locked BUT due to my obsessive personality with manga and anime, I've already put together a hack for the app to unlock the premium features for free and also I cracked the region lock so I have access to all mangas that are available anywhere in the world. Let me know if you need help with this; I actually uploaded the hack somewhere online for others to use. You'll need to jailbreak your device first though.

Then on a daily basis I scan the most recent updates on some manga site, like mangahere.com or kissmanga.com and if I see a series that interests me, I'll add it to my list on Manga Storm.

As to light novels, I usually just google around for them. For the most part, they are available on baka-tsuki.org but there are translation groups that operate through Google Docs.

Then just wait for the updates to start rolling in!

The rest is history.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 March 2015, 15:07:16 by Sygaldry »
null

Offline vindaon

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 15:00:31 »
Into fighting/delinquent/war manga recently

Holyland (Rereading for like the 3rd time)
Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru
All Rounder Meguru
Crows / Worst / Pretty much all of Takahashi Hiroshi's work
Vinland Saga
Hajime no Ippo (Classic, but I've never read it. Plan on getting to it eventually)

Also looking for any recommendations, though I'd like them to at least be somewhat realistic (No Grappler Baki or crazy **** like that)

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 15:04:14 »
Into fighting/delinquent/war manga recently

Holyland (Rereading for like the 3rd time)
Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru
All Rounder Meguru
Crows / Worst / Pretty much all of Takahashi Hiroshi's work
Vinland Saga
Hajime no Ippo (Classic, but I've never read it. Plan on getting to it eventually)

Also looking for any recommendations, though I'd like them to at least be somewhat realistic (No Grappler Baki or crazy **** like that)
Off the top of my head, you might enjoy the following:

Girls of the Wilds
Green Boy
Kingdom
Historie
null

Offline vindaon

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 15:27:04 »
Forgot about Green Boy, finished it a while back, it was pretty good. Dropped Girls of the Wild, wasn't into it, main female character seemed like a mary sue. Gonna check out Historie and Kingdom. Historie in particular looks like something I would be into.

You seem to know a **** ton about manga so maybe you can help me find a manga I've been trying to remember for years. It's about a kid who goes crazy and ends up stabbing his entire family (minus sister? I think). He gets sent to this harsh prison where one of his fellow inmates tries to rape him. He defends himself by smashing the inmate's teeth in, but that wasn't enough, so he had to beat **** out of him really bad. After that experience the kid starts training in his cell, and gets really good at fighting. Eventually he gets released, and he constantly gets into fights on the outside. People basically constantly treat him like ****. I think he ends up joining a boxing organization or something, and does very well. Until his past is revealed and he's vilified once again. I remember one plot point was about a creepy ass drawing he did as a kid. Some psychologist tries to analyze it or whatever, and realizes he's left handed(?) or something like that. Eventually the story gets really ****ing stupid once he "loses" his fighting powers and goes to some kind of guru or some **** to get it back. I dropped it after that point, so I'm not sure what happens after. I think the title had something like "pearl" or "chicken" or something in it. Not sure.

Anyway sorry for the word diarrhea, I'm basically writing every single detail I can remember of this manga I ended up reading years ago.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 16:32:54 »
Forgot about Green Boy, finished it a while back, it was pretty good. Dropped Girls of the Wild, wasn't into it, main female character seemed like a mary sue. Gonna check out Historie and Kingdom. Historie in particular looks like something I would be into.

You seem to know a **** ton about manga so maybe you can help me find a manga I've been trying to remember for years. It's about a kid who goes crazy and ends up stabbing his entire family (minus sister? I think). He gets sent to this harsh prison where one of his fellow inmates tries to rape him. He defends himself by smashing the inmate's teeth in, but that wasn't enough, so he had to beat **** out of him really bad. After that experience the kid starts training in his cell, and gets really good at fighting. Eventually he gets released, and he constantly gets into fights on the outside. People basically constantly treat him like ****. I think he ends up joining a boxing organization or something, and does very well. Until his past is revealed and he's vilified once again. I remember one plot point was about a creepy ass drawing he did as a kid. Some psychologist tries to analyze it or whatever, and realizes he's left handed(?) or something like that. Eventually the story gets really ****ing stupid once he "loses" his fighting powers and goes to some kind of guru or some **** to get it back. I dropped it after that point, so I'm not sure what happens after. I think the title had something like "pearl" or "chicken" or something in it. Not sure.

Anyway sorry for the word diarrhea, I'm basically writing every single detail I can remember of this manga I ended up reading years ago.

Shamo?

Edit: Yeah that's definitely Shamo. Also, I'd recommend Rainbow as well (not sure if you've read it yet)
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 March 2015, 16:36:01 by Sygaldry »
null

Offline vindaon

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 18:20:04 »
Yes! It's definitely Shamo. Been trying to find it for years. Apparently it translates to "gamecock" which I remembered as chicken. Thanks a ton!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 15:10:47 »
Way before I got serious about keebs I started this amazing series. I downloaded low-res scans and converted them to PDF. I tried to read the Duwang translation, but just couldn't.
About halfway through Part 6 I went on hiatus.

This summer I've been reading tons of comics before school starts again. I remembered this series and decided to pick it up; I recently found out about the Colored Edition, and now there's no going back!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 17:42:26 »
I actually just picked up Gyo and Uzumaki vol 1. yesterday. This Junji fella really gets horror.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 23:10:43 »
One Piece, Black Butler, Monster Musume, Drifters, Giant Spider & Me
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 09:53:42 »
Where's a good place to download mangoes? Can be CBZ, or else just compressed image folders.