Author Topic: Wooden HHKB Case.  (Read 5487 times)

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
Wooden HHKB Case.
« on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 22:25:20 »
Slight changes to design:

I was thinking

#1 Getting rid of the usb hub

#2 Any other drilling needed for full compatibility with topre-mx sliders

I'll start getting a few quotes from some shops once I have a CAD done with the final design and I have enough money to throw at people.  :p

Wood that will be used is Macacauba (http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/macacauba/) easy to work with, I love the aethestics, it will be stabalized and finished with a shellac due to it being an exotic wood that doesn't react to normal oils well. I just need to find enough of it, if I want to do any sort of group buy type thing, or use a different wood if I can get the needed amount in the dimensions needed for two piece case.

If I end up running a group buy for these, if all things go well in the coming months, I will do all the finishing to peoples preference.
As far as slig

« Last Edit: Sun, 03 April 2016, 13:12:10 by Air tree »

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
Re: Wooden HHKB Case, how feasible?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 14:53:42 »
I can think of how it'd be doable if you had a novatouch or realforce for parts; you could make a plate to put the topre sliders into, as they snap out of the novatouch or realforce. Then you would just have to design a case to put the plate and pcb into.

Otherwise, we're talking about routing all the holes for the sliders, and around all them too, so the keys can depress fully, and being able to snap in the stabs. Doable, but time-consuming. I'd think you'd want to lacquer the inside of each of the holes for the sliders, to make sure they slide smoothly.

Those are my initial thoughts off the top of my head, without spending some time pondering everything.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 14:58:39 »
If you could get your hands on an aluminum case cnc template, you could try to cnc a block of wood into that form

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 15:07:58 »
By looking at the metal case that massdrop designed for the hhkb it looks like you'll need to do some precise drilling. Because of that I you'll need a relatively good piece of wood that won't chip, I've heard good things about maple and walnut for CNC milling, please anyone correct me if I'm wrong. I do not own a cnc but was planning on it and did some research. It seems feasible but would probably need to have a few prototypes to go through.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 15:25:07 »
As far as woods are concerned, I was looking at Macacauba ( http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/macacauba/ )

It's listed as having good workability and it's just a really nice looking wood, in my opinion.

When I get a chance I'll see if I can talk to some CNC shops about such a design and see what they say, I'm not insanely confident in my own wood working skills for such a project, but I'm just worried for some of the really detailed bits on the top of the case, and getting it's aesthetic just right.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 15:38:01 »
As far as woods are concerned, I was looking at Macacauba ( http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/macacauba/ )

It's listed as having good workability and it's just a really nice looking wood, in my opinion.

When I get a chance I'll see if I can talk to some CNC shops about such a design and see what they say, I'm not insanely confident in my own wood working skills for such a project, but I'm just worried for some of the really detailed bits on the top of the case, and getting it's aesthetic just right.

I'm sure Macacauba would be just fine, a case made of that wood would look lovely. Having a shop do it would be a much better option but it may be a little costly being in the states.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 15:59:48 »
I wouldn't touch a non-stabilized wood unless it was bloodwood, ironwood, rosewood, or another similar high density wood.  A wood like canary wood could work too since it's a higher oil wood and less prone to tearout.  I'd still want to stabilize it though.  Stabilization is also necessary due to shrinkage and swelling of the wood based upon climate which would have a direct impact on usability.

The ideal would be a three piece case where you mill the top plate out of metal, POM/Delrin, Nylon, or some other sturdy material that is not affected by climate and mount it to the rest of the stabilized/high density wood case.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 16:04:29 »

I'm sure Macacauba would be just fine, a case made of that wood would look lovely. Having a shop do it would be a much better option but it may be a little costly being in the states.
Now just to see if anyone has an aluminium cnc template they would let me use or let me give them some money for one. :))

Does anyone have any ideas on maybe anything I could improve with the case? I'm definitely going to do away with the useless (for me) usb hub and make it a bit cleaner.

I could alter the case just a tad and have support better support for mx spacebars (with topre-mx sliders) I recall a mod someone did that allowed them to use at least 6u regular mx spacebars with topre-mx sliders, I can't remember the specifics...

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 16:06:40 »
I wouldn't touch a non-stabilized wood unless it was bloodwood, ironwood, rosewood, or another similar high density wood.  A wood like canary wood could work too since it's a higher oil wood and less prone to tearout.  I'd still want to stabilize it though.  Stabilization is also necessary due to shrinkage and swelling of the wood based upon climate which would have a direct impact on usability.

The ideal would be a three piece case where you mill the top plate out of metal, POM/Delrin, Nylon, or some other sturdy material that is not affected by climate and mount it to the rest of the stabilized/high density wood case.

That gives me an idea - could always (carefully) cut out the plastic plate of the HHKB top, and use that as the Topre slider mounting point.

Or, if you have access to a 3d printer, could make a plate that way - wouldn't be as smooth, but its a great way to get the plate just right. Once the plate is perfect, the CAD file used to 3d print can be used or converted for use on a CNC mill, to make the final product.

I personally think making the plate out of wood is more hassle than its worth.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 16:08:30 »

Now just to see if anyone has an aluminium cnc template they would let me use or let me give them some money for one. :))

Does anyone have any ideas on maybe anything I could improve with the case? I'm definitely going to do away with the useless (for me) usb hub and make it a bit cleaner.

I could alter the case just a tad and have support better support for mx spacebars (with topre-mx sliders) I recall a mod someone did that allowed them to use at least 6u regular mx spacebars with topre-mx sliders, I can't remember the specifics...

My HHKB accepts both 6u or 6.25u MX spacebars. If you use costar plate mounted stabilizers, both fit.

If you're using Hasu's BT controller, a bigger space for a battery would be an awesome improvement :)

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 16:18:42 »

My HHKB accepts both 6u or 6.25u MX spacebars. If you use costar plate mounted stabilizers, both fit.

If you're using Hasu's BT controller, a bigger space for a battery would be an awesome improvement :)
How exactly do you install the costar stabs? Do you have any pictures of the process or just how it looks now?

Oh and how does SA keycaps sound on the HHKB? They look sexy as hell in your pictures. :)

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 16:27:07 »
How exactly do you install the costar stabs? Do you have any pictures of the process or just how it looks now?

The Topre stabilizers snap out. The mounting hole is the same size as a Cherry MX mount, so you can actually just slide the costar stabilizers in. The slide back and forth (and if you tilt them, they come out), but they stay put once you have the stab wire attached to the spacebar. I'll see if I have any photos of it somewhere.

Oh and how does SA keycaps sound on the HHKB? They look sexy as hell in your pictures. :)

Like thocking heaven! My sliders are silenced, so I just have pleasant thocks. Feels soooo nice too  :cool:

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 22:08:49 »
Does anyone know of some good CNC shops I could call or send over a CAD for a quote?

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 18:25:03 »
As far as slight changes to design:

I was thinking

#1 Slightly expanding the bottom row to allow space for 6.25 spacebar without having a gap between keys. (The benefit of getting the top plate milled out is that I can modify it)

#2 Getting rid of the usb hub

#3 Maybe make some more room for a battery, in case I decide I want to use Hasus BT controller, rather than the standard USB.

#4 Any other drilling needed for full compatibility with topre-mx sliders and cherry mx keycaps

As far wood goes, Either Macacauba, or Canarywood is what I'm going for, going to get it stabilized as nubbs suggested.

I'll start getting a few quotes from some shops once I have a CAD done with the final design and I have enough money to throw at people.  :p

The two empty spaces are going to be decreased in size slightly, I don't think it will ruin the look of the board versus the original, what do you guys think? I'm still going to get the HHKB logo engraved on the case the same way it is on the original, I like mah tramp stamp.

On the wood vs metal plate thought, I'm leaning wood because I'm thinking a metal plate might produce a harsher sound that I would want. But a modified plastic plate isn't off the table just yet, I just prefer the thought of a wooden one, for a silly reason of preferring a more uniform and single material board. :e
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 November 2015, 18:27:23 by Air tree »

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 19:10:13 »
very interesting idea...do you have any plans to make multiple units or just a one off?

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 19:16:27 »
very interesting idea...do you have any plans to make multiple units or just a one off?
Once I get a finished case done and it's up to snuff, I might run a group buy if anyone is interested, but I don't want to get any ones hopes up, I doubt I'll start getting wood to a mill until next year, where I'm at in life right now is a little complicated.

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 19:18:26 »
Once I get a finished case done and it's up to snuff, I might run a group buy if anyone is interested, but I don't want to get any ones hopes up, I doubt I'll start getting wood to a mill until next year, where I'm at in life right now is a little complicated.

no problem good luck with everything...this seems a little more complicated than normal boards due to the case having to hold the sliders in place