Author Topic: Matias Mini Quiet Pro  (Read 6467 times)

Offline Screwdriver

Matias Mini Quiet Pro
« on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 15:36:28 »
Well this review went south for me. See followup post.

I really wanted to try an ALPS board to see what their fans like about the switches. My first try was a KBP V80 with the Matias Quiet Clicks, but that turned out to be a flop for me. Poorly fitted keycaps, loose stabilizers etc. It was hard for me to really feel what the switches were like.

So this weekend I got delivery of a Matias Mini Quiet Pro,  and I must say, in my opinion it blows away the V80. Key caps while ALPS wobbly, are at least the same across all the board.  None of the keys rattle any more than others...It is just feels like a well put together board. Board is very stable and creak free.

Couple issues I have is the polycaronate case and the feet. The case is not only a finger print magnet, but comes slightly pre scratched from the factory. There are fine scratches in places on the bottom etc., and just wiping off fingerprints will scratch the surface.  At first I thought mine was used because of the scratches, but I then read quite a few posts where others had the same issue. I just cannot understand why Matias would choose a glossy surface for this keyboard, where a matte one would not only look better, but stand up to daily use. But I will say polycarbonate is a very strong and durable material .

The other issue is the feet. I generally like my keyboards flat, and I  do not raise the feet on them. Most keyboards have rubber pads for people like me, but Matias opted not to have these pads, so the board wants to slide around on my desk when typing. I solved this by sticking some rubber feet I had. I feel that Matias should address this and the glossy finish in a future version.

Now for the key feel. The Matias Quiet Clicks feel fantastic to me and I find it hard to compare to another key type, except maybe Topre. Best I can describe is a looser Topre with a little more mechanical rattle. But overall, it is the quietest mechanical board I have ever used and very satisfying to type on. Just so you know, I am generally a fan of Cherry MX Browns, but appreciate the Realforce 87U 55G I have.

Pros

Nice layout
Great typing experience and feel
Very quiet. Can't see that anyone could complain about the sound
Decent price at $119

Cons

Glossy finish scratches easily and picks up fingerprints
No rubber feet in the back. Board slides around if not using the extended feet.
I wish the extra USB ports were 3.0 instead of 2.0
Hard to find 3rd party key caps.

Will I keep it, not sure. But I will give it a few weeks as I am enjoying it at this time.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 August 2016, 16:51:46 by Screwdriver »
Realforce 87U/55g, Deck Hassium Pro-MX Browns, MK Disco TKL - KBT Browns, Code 87-MX Clears, KUL-87 MX Reds.

Offline Screwdriver

Re: Matias Mini Quiet Pro
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 17:00:03 »
So I wrote this review earlier today and just posted it. Was typing out a letter and started noticing that the "b" key was starting to chatter. A first I thought it was me getting used to the keys, but it started getting worse. I tested it by slowly doing "shift" "b" over and over and it started doing missed b's and then sometimes two, three or four b's with a single press.

Oh well.....Will call Matias tomorrow and then decide if I will just send it back to the vendor for a refund.
Realforce 87U/55g, Deck Hassium Pro-MX Browns, MK Disco TKL - KBT Browns, Code 87-MX Clears, KUL-87 MX Reds.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 20:41:19 »
I wonder if key chatter is an issue with the switches in general? Me and a lot of others have had issues with chattering on the V80 as well.

Offline Screwdriver

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 20:57:01 »
I wonder if key chatter is an issue with the switches in general? Me and a lot of others have had issues with chattering on the V80 as well.

It sucks that when you find an issue and then do searches and find out it is widespread. Also, now that I got to really try the Matias ALPS, I think they are the best feeling switches next to Topre.

I am deciding if I should return to Amazon or deal with Matias.....will call them tomorrow. If they will send me a board that works within my return window, and allow me to use this one until the exchange, Ill keep it. I mean it is a really nice keyboard and I would like to use it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 August 2016, 10:34:40 by Screwdriver »

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 23:46:32 »
Yeah clicky Matias feel great, very smooth and the tactility is sharp.

Offline Screwdriver

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 11:31:28 »
Well called Matias this morning and was told to try this:

Take a folded up business card and wedge it slightly under the left part of the key cap and then firmly push down on the right side top. If this does not correct the issue, then try it on all sides with the business card. Did not fix the issue. I then tried what TeaLeafs on another thread suggested, taking the cap off and reseating it. Did not work ether.

This is what I get alternating between "space" and "b"..... :-X It not only does multiple "b's", but does not register some of the strokes.....

b b b b b  b   b b b b b bb bb b b bb b bbb b b b bb bb b  b b b bb bb bbbb b b

Oh well, shipping back for a refund. Just not going to deal with this anymore. Hopefully Matias gets their QC in order, or they might disappear like ALPS.

Offline greenone

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 13:20:19 »
Hum... something funny is going on.

I just post in a thread about quality control in Matias.

I recently got a replacement of a Matias Laptop Pro. In my case it was the key J that was acting out.
The replacement is working, but I'm scared :)

Also, this one sound differently!

I post a video in that thread.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69049.msg2249935#msg2249935
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 August 2016, 13:22:29 by greenone »

Offline SenorCit

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 15:57:50 »
Another let-down Matias aficionado here. Sad to hear they still get this same issue - on my Quiet Pro, the left shift key would get stuck like that.

That said, it was a great feeling keyboard. I also didn't fancy the looks that much, but they also didn't bother me. What did bother me towards the end was the keycap quality - after half a year, shine and rubbing off of the laser print. Not very nice.

But the feel! I prefer the Matias feel to any and all Cherry switches, and it's only surpassed for me by the Model M and the Topre. I really don't like Cherry Brown myself, although incidentally I'm typing this on one right now! I would describe it as a more quiet and much, much more positive and weighty action than the MX Brown, but more crunchy and not as refined as a Topre. Curiously, I was never very fast typing on the Matias, but very accurate and comfortable - kinda the same as with Topre. :)

.sc

Offline greenone

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 17:54:27 »
But it seems they changed the provider or something in the fabrication process. I showed the difference in this video:

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 18:09:30 »
I have had a very positive experience with all my Matias-switch keyboards. These have all been KBP V60 boards -- two with Matias Clicks, one with Matias Quiets, and one with Matias Quiet Linears. I sold the Quiet Linear, only because I preferred to have tactile or tactile plus auditory feedback.

However, I have heard that there have been QC issues during 2016 with the factory producing the Matias switches, and the numerous posts I have seen about chattering switches certainly corroborates this. Unfortunately, it would appear that neither Matias nor KBP issue recalls on their keyboards, although I would expect them to allow returns, either for a refund or for a properly working keyboard.

This situation is highly unfortunate for all concerned, because although Matias switches are arguably not as good as genuine Alps, they are the only way to enjoy brand-new Alps-like switches in a contemporary keyboard.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 01:45:18 »
This situation is highly unfortunate for all concerned, because although Matias switches are arguably not as good as genuine Alps, they are the only way to enjoy brand-new Alps-like switches in a contemporary keyboard.

Damn, I wanted to buy one this week to try out but within Google, a lot of complaints regarding quality issues started appearing and sure enough after reading them I have now gone off his keyboards.  Unfortunate that this has happened BUT he should fix the problem as soon as possible otherwise many will avoid his keyboards in the future.

Always look on the web to see if there are any problems or complaints regarding any keyboard when it comes to purchasing, may save you money and time  8) .

Offline Screwdriver

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 05 September 2016, 12:12:17 »
I got this email from Matias regarding the issues.

I still plan to buy one eventually, and might buy direct from Matias in hopes of getting a sorted out one.

Recently, we've had a higher than usual defect rate, but we've determined
the cause, and have taken corrective action. So, your chance of having an
issue is lower now.

Best Regards,

--
Matias Help Desk
(905) 265-8844

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 05 September 2016, 12:36:39 »
Thanks for sharing the email from Matias. At least it is somewhat reassuring. If the problem was with the switches, I wonder how long it will take for the defective ones to get removed from the pipeline, especially those being supplied to KBP for their V60 and V80 keyboards? However, do we know where the problem was -- e.g.,  switches? PCB?

Offline Screwdriver

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 05 September 2016, 18:08:06 »
I would think the switches....since that is the shared part between Matias and KBP.