Poll

Which type for GMK black lotus?

ICON mods
401 (66.3%)
TEXT mods
204 (33.7%)

Total Members Voted: 605

Author Topic: [IC] Black Lotus Keyset - UPDATED OP - GB GOING LIVE ON TKC ON APRIL 2020  (Read 292381 times)

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
Re: [IC] Black Lotus Keyset Update: 3D renders are up
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 12:28:45 »
Would definitely be interested in a set of SA!

Maybe r2 would be in SA. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see that now! Sorry, I'm new to GH and I'm still getting used to the old style forum layout. Didn't quite see how far along this was!

I like this layout better than reddit's haha!

I might be getting too old for this.

Maybe uniform SA r3 or 2-2-3-3-3-3

Haha, I still prefer to use Reddit, but all the good GBs happen here, so I wanted to start using it.

That being said I've never used GMK keycaps before, though I've heard they're high quality. What's the ABS they use like? quality-wise I mean.

Well, doing ICs there is a pain, along with down votes. The comment system is really crazy for me, im used to having long post and old style forums give you all the freedom to add awesome signatures.

Actually i haven't owned any GMK keysets at all, its been highly recommended by the community, so the quality must be top notch as people here are pretty picky about their keycaps. Maybe a tad thicker than SA ABS.

What SP profile have you tried? I currently own an r2 granite and a SA r4 carbon community keycap. They are both thin on the sides but they dont feel like those cheap abs you get with most keyboards.

Well... actually I haven't tried any... I'm somewhat new here. I mean I'm not new to keyboards, but only recently have I started trying to actually spend money and get nicer keycaps. My current keycaps are super cheap abs ones from WASDkeyboards, they were what came with my VP3 and they've started to shine already after only about a month. That's why I'm kinda apprehensive about getting more ABS keycaps, though I think the GMK ones should last longer. Was thinking about getting some DSA PBT ones from SP and dying the modifiers purple because nobody sells this color purple in PBT.

Well sp had DSA deep space which was nice. Coming from OEM ABS, DSA would be a major upgrade, spherical keys feels comfy IMO. The height might need some time to get used to.

GMK ABS isnt any sloucher at all. The cherry profile + thickness is pure quality. They might be a bit pricey but it would be all worth it. If you prefer cylindrical keysets, this would be your thing. The only downside is that they shine, especially the darker keycaps.

Well, doing ICs there is a pain, along with down votes. The comment system is really crazy for me, im used to having long post and old style forums give you all the freedom to add awesome signatures.

Offtopic so apologies but I gotta say I absolutely abhor reddit's layout - I cannot for the life of me get used to the whole weird comment display thing they got going on, then some comments are hidden and videos aren't embedded always and then there's upvotes downvotes and then they aren't properly organized, it's just a cesspool compared to this standard forum layout where everything's tidy and you can have avatars and signatures and everything's organized.

Yeah. All the rules are also annoying. Haha! We have all the freedom here.

I tried to post my IC there thrice and it was brought down coz i haven't gathered enough karma.

Offline catweewee

• SINGA | singakbd.com
  • * Vendor
  • Yellows
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 12:35:46 »
You make me wanna buy the Black Lotus model kit!

Offline shadowstar2417

« Reply #102 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 12:45:09 »

I see that now! Sorry, I'm new to GH and I'm still getting used to the old style forum layout. Didn't quite see how far along this was!

Haha, I still prefer to use Reddit, but all the good GBs happen here, so I wanted to start using it.

That being said I've never used GMK keycaps before, though I've heard they're high quality. What's the ABS they use like? quality-wise I mean.

Actually i haven't owned any GMK keysets at all, its been highly recommended by the community, so the quality must be top notch as people here are pretty picky about their keycaps. Maybe a tad thicker than SA ABS.

What SP profile have you tried? I currently own an r2 granite and a SA r4 carbon community keycap. They are both thin on the sides but they dont feel like those cheap abs you get with most keyboards.

Well... actually I haven't tried any... I'm somewhat new here. I mean I'm not new to keyboards, but only recently have I started trying to actually spend money and get nicer keycaps. My current keycaps are super cheap abs ones from WASDkeyboards, they were what came with my VP3 and they've started to shine already after only about a month. That's why I'm kinda apprehensive about getting more ABS keycaps, though I think the GMK ones should last longer. Was thinking about getting some DSA PBT ones from SP and dying the modifiers purple because nobody sells this color purple in PBT.

Well sp had DSA deep space which was nice. Coming from OEM ABS, DSA would be a major upgrade, spherical keys feels comfy IMO. The height might need some time to get used to.

GMK ABS isnt any sloucher at all. The cherry profile + thickness is pure quality. They might be a bit pricey but it would be all worth it. If you prefer cylindrical keysets, this would be your thing. The only downside is that they shine, especially the darker keycaps.

Offtopic so apologies but I gotta say I absolutely abhor reddit's layout - I cannot for the life of me get used to the whole weird comment display thing they got going on, then some comments are hidden and videos aren't embedded always and then there's upvotes downvotes and then they aren't properly organized, it's just a cesspool compared to this standard forum layout where everything's tidy and you can have avatars and signatures and everything's organized.

I tried to post my IC there thrice and it was brought down coz i haven't gathered enough karma.

That's comforting to hear, makes me feel a little better about literally throwing all my money at the screen.

Though now I'm curious, how much will this cost? I know it depends on how many people join the GB, but what's the range? I'm expecting around ~$100- $150.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 12:51:17 »

Do buy when it goes to GB phase :)

That's comforting to hear, makes me feel a little better about literally throwing all my money at the screen.

Though now I'm curious, how much will this cost? I know it depends on how many people join the GB, but what's the range? I'm expecting around ~$100- $150.

Would definitely be around that price range for the base kit. Im currently working on the novelties which would be sold separately.

GMK carbon was sold around $100 + $5 for the trays. Hopefully we get as much support :)

If you buy GMK sets from vendors they would be sold at around $170 without the long wait of course :)

Offline shadowstar2417

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 12:58:09 »

Do buy when it goes to GB phase :)

Would definitely be around that price range for the base kit. Im currently working on the novelties which would be sold separately.

GMK carbon was sold around $100 + $5 for the trays. Hopefully we get as much support :)

If you buy GMK sets from vendors they would be sold at around $170 without the long wait of course :)

Speaking of... how long will the wait be? Sorry for all the questions, but this is my first GB and I just want to make sure I have enough information.

I'm fine with waiting, I just don't want to join one of those GBs that takes a decade to ship.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
[IC] Black Lotus Keyset Update: 3D renders are up
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 13:06:25 »

Speaking of... how long will the wait be? Sorry for all the questions, but this is my first GB and I just want to make sure I have enough information.

I'm fine with waiting, I just don't want to join one of those GBs that takes a decade to ship.

Hopefully this would run on MD. So shipping and warranty is assured.

I have yet to contact MD regarding this sale, hopefully once everything is finalize, we can plot a realistic time frame. :)

Offline shadowstar2417

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 13:48:23 »

Hopefully this would run on MD. So shipping and warranty is assured.

I have yet to contact MD regarding this sale, hopefully once everything is finalize, we can plot a realistic time frame. :)

That's would be awesome for this to run on MD. Hopefully that goes through!

I can't wait for this GB, this is exactly the color scheme I've been looking for forever.

Offline Bi0

« Reply #107 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 15:16:00 »
Been watching the thread for a bit and I'd def be all in for a GMK set.  ^.^

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #108 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 19:39:00 »
Been watching the thread for a bit and I'd def be all in for a GMK set.  ^.^

Great! Watch out for the update on novelties. :)

Offline richard912

« Reply #109 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 19:47:23 »

The GMK Carbon on MD closed in (late?) July. We just got an update that the bulk shipment is now OTW to MD's US warehouse. Next update, first week of Nov. Hope this gives you some indication on timing of GB.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 10:46:49 »
I know my photoshop skills are not that good, but you can show your support for the set  by adding GMK black lotus on your signature :)

Offline metal1091

« Reply #111 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 11:48:05 »
Totally interested in a set for my Ducky Mini

Offline shadowstar2417

« Reply #112 on: Sun, 30 October 2016, 06:49:43 »
Is there any way I can be absolutely sure that I get notified when this goes live? There's been a couple group buys that I've actually missed out on just because I forgot to check for a couple days...

I've just been looking for a set of keycaps like this for almost a year, and I'm willing to do nearly anything for a set, haha

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #113 on: Sun, 30 October 2016, 10:48:39 »
Is there any way I can be absolutely sure that I get notified when this goes live? There's been a couple group buys that I've actually missed out on just because I forgot to check for a couple days...

I've just been looking for a set of keycaps like this for almost a year, and I'm willing to do nearly anything for a set, haha

you can subscribe to this thread. hopefully it would be sold on MD :D

Totally interested in a set for my Ducky Mini

awesome! :D show support by putting GMK black lotus on your signature :D

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #114 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 21:55:08 »
Is there a specific reason for including 2 sets of the same arrow keys?

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 08:32:40 »
Is there a specific reason for including 2 sets of the same arrow keys?

I need to correct that. Thanks for pointing it out. :D

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #116 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 10:31:30 »
Updated renders for type 1 and type 2

Lilac keys added

Offline richard912

« Reply #117 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 20:37:18 »

Lilac keys added
Liking what I see

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #118 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 20:47:56 »
Are you still wet if you're swimming under the ocean?
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 September 2017, 04:44:20 by ygor »
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 21:49:53 »
I'm a total noob... Will it be possible to order a TKL MX version of the keyset? That colorway was made for meee... Amazing work!

Lets see how it goes on MD, it would be MX compatible because its made by GMK.

For now, i will assume that it will be sold as a whole as seen in type 1/2 renders :D

Lilac keys added
Liking what I see

nice to hear :D

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #120 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 11:30:39 »

Offline iRumy3

• Steam
« Reply #121 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 18:52:08 »
Awesome. Love these colors!

Offline megaforce

« Reply #122 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 10:35:32 »
Icon mods? Y/N?
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #123 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 11:06:28 »
Icon mods? Y/N?

Yes, maybe on a separate kit.

Offline catweewee

• SINGA | singakbd.com
  • * Vendor
  • Yellows
« Reply #124 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 12:19:44 »
Ahh I cant wait

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #125 on: Thu, 10 November 2016, 10:21:13 »
Novelties are now up. :D please check the OP and give me your feedbacks  :thumb:

Offline macharius

Re: [IC] Black Lotus Keyset Update: Novelties Posted
« Reply #126 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 03:28:41 »
It will be available by Massdrop or just here in geekhack?

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #127 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 09:30:42 »
It will be available by Massdrop or just here in geekhack?

Theres a poll on MD, i hope it drops there.

Please check the OP for the link. Thanks!

Offline shadowstar2417

« Reply #128 on: Fri, 18 November 2016, 05:06:35 »
Any updates on where this is at this point?

I've been following the MD poll and we filled out the progress bar for 500 votes, not sure if that means anything.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #129 on: Fri, 18 November 2016, 09:02:53 »
Any updates on where this is at this point?

I've been following the MD poll and we filled out the progress bar for 500 votes, not sure if that means anything.

I tried to contact md/gmk, still waiting for their response.

Regarding the timeline, since GMK PLUM is estimated to drop sometime feb, this might drop a few months after that. depending which keyset they choose to drop since there are lots of GMK keysets on IC phase right now.

Offline aznreaper

« Reply #130 on: Sat, 19 November 2016, 01:12:21 »
On one hand I'm super sad that it's probably going to be a long time before you get this set to the GB stage, but my wallet is supper happy that it has time to rest. Any idea on how much the novelties would be? I'm a fan of Accel world but don't really care about MtG so I would really like to get the novelties, but don't think I can justify it if it's pricy

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #131 on: Sat, 19 November 2016, 06:13:29 »
On one hand I'm super sad that it's probably going to be a long time before you get this set to the GB stage, but my wallet is supper happy that it has time to rest. Any idea on how much the novelties would be? I'm a fan of Accel world but don't really care about MtG so I would really like to get the novelties, but don't think I can justify it if it's pricy

A few keys would be added to the novelties. the price might be at $50 range (based on carbon novelties).

They have to be sold as a set because if i split them, one might not reach MOQ.

Offline Seelen

« Reply #132 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 13:08:20 »
I understand that most of this set has already been chosen and that my critique would change so much that you coukd argue it would be a different set, but since this is Interest Check, I figured there's no harm in sharing my thoughts (particularly because i very much love the color scheme):

1. I would love to see the Type 1 set in SA...the light purple pieces would look awesome if they were big and chunky, and just my opinion but I prefer centered lettering, especially with black and purple like that.

2. The light purple accents you've done are a fantastic idea. I know this would run the risk of overdoing it, but doing the top 1-9 numbers in that same light purple would look REALLY cool in SA. It would almost be an evil twin set to Hana (since a mono-legend type deal looks so nice for 1-9 anyways, it coukd be really cool to replace them with novelties, though I understand this has an effect on price)

3. I don't think I have a number 3....this is a really cool set and I definitely love it. Black lptus has long been a favorite of mine, not just the card but the art and the aesthetic itself.

I feel like if there were some way to work in the dark violet-blue part of the flower into the set it would be cool, but I didn't list it because I don't know where it would work or if it even would at all.

Anyways, great work on it. Please don't see this as me bashing your set, I do like it...I am the critical type. It's hard for me to create on my own, but given a template, I'm much more likely to come up with something cool by changing it...that's not to say my suggestions are even necessarily good lol, I just want you to know that I do really like the set (though I will be passing on it because of GMK, sadly...I know you can't please everybody, though there is another purple GMK coming out soon, as has been mentioned)

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #133 on: Sat, 26 November 2016, 01:37:25 »
I understand that most of this set has already been chosen and that my critique would change so much that you coukd argue it would be a different set, but since this is Interest Check, I figured there's no harm in sharing my thoughts (particularly because i very much love the color scheme):

1. I would love to see the Type 1 set in SA...the light purple pieces would look awesome if they were big and chunky, and just my opinion but I prefer centered lettering, especially with black and purple like that.

2. The light purple accents you've done are a fantastic idea. I know this would run the risk of overdoing it, but doing the top 1-9 numbers in that same light purple would look REALLY cool in SA. It would almost be an evil twin set to Hana (since a mono-legend type deal looks so nice for 1-9 anyways, it coukd be really cool to replace them with novelties, though I understand this has an effect on price)

3. I don't think I have a number 3....this is a really cool set and I definitely love it. Black lptus has long been a favorite of mine, not just the card but the art and the aesthetic itself.

I feel like if there were some way to work in the dark violet-blue part of the flower into the set it would be cool, but I didn't list it because I don't know where it would work or if it even would at all.

Anyways, great work on it. Please don't see this as me bashing your set, I do like it...I am the critical type. It's hard for me to create on my own, but given a template, I'm much more likely to come up with something cool by changing it...that's not to say my suggestions are even necessarily good lol, I just want you to know that I do really like the set (though I will be passing on it because of GMK, sadly...I know you can't please everybody, though there is another purple GMK coming out soon, as has been mentioned)

Thanks for your inputs! :D

1. Since GMK won the poll, i will be doing it on GMK due to the demand (for now). Also, SP's queue is too long which was a downside. More people preferred having it on DSA bt we'll see. :)

2. I had some thoughts on doing a Stripes Kit but it required having more icons/logos for novelties. Doing it in SA would allow for child deals and make this idea more feasible.

3. Thanks so much! :D IM addicted to anything with purple. I want that other set to come out on GMK, but it would be bad news for this set aswell.

I really really hope this set would drop, I want this to happen and i think the support this community has given me was a productive and creative experience!

Offline Panzerhawx

• Endgame is a lie. You just end up buying more.
    • cartel
« Reply #134 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 00:27:25 »
Any updates on this?

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #135 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 08:18:18 »
Any updates on this?

Man I really want to give an update but I'm still waiting on md or gmk's response to my emails.

For the set, I've been working on additional novelties tho, but I'm a bit stumped on school work, so I might be able to finish up during the holidays.

cheers

Offline aznreaper

« Reply #136 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 23:07:07 »
If you're not getting a hold of massdrop, maybe try talking to some of the other community members and see if they can help you get hooked up since they might have the contacts and inside scoop to getting an in on getting a group buy started

Offline JDragon

« Reply #137 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 01:32:44 »
Any updates on this?

Man I really want to give an update but I'm still waiting on md or gmk's response to my emails.

For the set, I've been working on additional novelties tho, but I'm a bit stumped on school work, so I might be able to finish up during the holidays.

cheers

Keyclack or Originative maybe? Not sure how busy their schedules are.

Hope you find a GB partner, eagerly awaiting this set.  :thumb:

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #138 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 09:58:42 »
If you're not getting a hold of massdrop, maybe try talking to some of the other community members and see if they can help you get hooked up since they might have the contacts and inside scoop to getting an in on getting a group buy started

Already asked some members about the matter at hand, but its still md that gives the final call whether they are interested in selling the set. Regardless, I will do my best to make this happen.  :thumb:

Keyclack or Originative maybe? Not sure how busy their schedules are.

Hope you find a GB partner, eagerly awaiting this set.  :thumb:

If i get no feedback from MD by the end of the year, i would start contacting other vendors.  ;)

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #139 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 10:29:15 »
Funny thing happened, while i was typing my reply for the previous post, I received an email from a GMK representative who was pretty interested on the set as well.

Im not sure who pulled some strings, or what made him check his spam, but its something!

I sent him the colors we would be using for this set and a sample of novelty caps to determine if they are doable.

There is still no word from any vendor, but the MOQ would be at @250 since the set does come in custom colors.

Best chances of meeting MOQ would be via MD as they have a very active buying community. Wish blacklotus luck guys  :cool:

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
« Reply #140 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 10:47:28 »
Great to hear potatobot. Great set and happy to see some progress.

Been watching since this sets conception  :p
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 17:51:24 »
Great to hear potatobot. Great set and happy to see some progress.

Been watching since this sets conception  :p

You the real MVP man!

Offline onlinelife

« Reply #142 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 01:48:30 »
Just discovered this set..... I NEED IT. I love me some purple sets and this one looks dank

Offline MassdropYanbo

• Massdrop Mech Keys
« Reply #143 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 02:28:19 »
Any updates on this?

cheers

Most of the time it would be easier to poke me on here if the email route doesn't work out. We are working on bettering the contact method for these kind of community requests.

In the meantime - you can shoot me a pm here.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #144 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 08:46:28 »
Any updates on this?

cheers

Most of the time it would be easier to poke me on here if the email route doesn't work out. We are working on bettering the contact method for these kind of community requests.

;)

Offline aznreaper

« Reply #145 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 10:06:57 »
Awesome! Let's get this fast tracked into a real buy!

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #146 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 12:51:20 »

Yanbo coming in clutch! Here's hoping Black Lotus does pop on Massdrop when schedule permits, this one hits home for me.

Offline poolside

« Reply #147 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 08:07:03 »
Hmmm, I think I need more purple.  ;D

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #148 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 10:33:26 »
Hmmm, I think I need more purple.  ;D

A darker shade or you just want more purple caps in this set?

Offline poolside

« Reply #149 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 11:37:16 »
Sorry, I meant more keysets with purple, such as this one. I like both proposed colorways. I would have gladly given a shot at the purple alphas with #2, but the majority seems to prefer #1 according to the MD poll.
Also, I am not against the inclusion of another 2.25 Shift keycap.  :)