Poll

Which type for GMK black lotus?

ICON mods
401 (66.3%)
TEXT mods
204 (33.7%)

Total Members Voted: 605

Author Topic: [IC] Black Lotus Keyset - UPDATED OP - GB GOING LIVE ON TKC ON APRIL 2020  (Read 292407 times)

Offline noobas4urus

• Mod Munky of another realm
    • The Mod Zoo
Re: [IC] Black Lotus Keyset Update: Novelties Posted
« Reply #200 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 23:28:01 »
I'm really liking the set so far.  Any chance there could be a dark purple space bar to go with it?  I feel like that would visually look awesome and would like to have the option throw one on.

Digging the lotuses, what about doing something with the MTG mana symbols for novelties?
"You miss 100% of the raffles you don't enter."
-Wayne Gretzky

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #201 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 23:57:23 »
The mana novelties are there right above the lotuses - white, blue, black, red and green respectively, albeit modified in order to avoid copyright infringement and all that.

Offline noobas4urus

• Mod Munky of another realm
    • The Mod Zoo
« Reply #202 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 10:28:09 »
The mana novelties are there right above the lotuses - white, blue, black, red and green respectively, albeit modified in order to avoid copyright infringement and all that.

Yeah I got that, I meant the mana cost numbers.  I initially thought of the 0 since it's so iconic for the lotus, but thinking on it you could do 0-9.  Not sure if the mana symbols are copy righted though too.
"You miss 100% of the raffles you don't enter."
-Wayne Gretzky

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #203 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 10:38:11 »
Yeah I got that, I meant the mana cost numbers.  I initially thought of the 0 since it's so iconic for the lotus, but thinking on it you could do 0-9.  Not sure if the mana symbols are copy righted though too.

OH right, my bad, yea I thought that might've been what you meant. When I spoke with Potato about the novelties some months ago I mentioned the mana cost as it is iconic for the Lotus as you said - I figure it may be hard to incorporate but it might be cool to have a stripe kit for example with where the 0-9 number row is done MTG style. Then again it might not tip MOQ wise as it is hard to gauge how many people buying into this set are fans hardcore enough to purchase that.

Another idea I threw around was having an enter key novelty where instead of the regular icon mods arrow it'd be the tap icon - not sure how feasible that one would be either but still, so many cool things one could do related to MTG if copyright infringement wasn't a thing and the GMK MOQ wasn't as high.

Offline lunr

« Reply #204 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 21:23:38 »
Really like the colours. I've been on a purple craze lately with Plum and the JTK purple set I got.

Any chance having a spacebar kit (2.25u, 2.75u, etc) like the Yuri set?

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #205 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 21:52:55 »

+1 
it would be nice if this set support "split-spacebar" (1.75u, 2.25u, 2.75u)
---
about the novelties, I'm no designer  :( ,
I think we should focus on the "lotus" and Black Lotus avatar,
hmm... what about the icon for Brain Burst program? though I presume it's copyright-ed?

160279-0

EDIT: the lotus is from potatobot's novelties
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 February 2017, 21:54:38 by Tom_Kazansky »

Offline FLOCKA

• New name: ghostdeini
« Reply #206 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 16:32:47 »
It would be a shame to scrap those novelties... I'm totally drawing a blank as to what they could possibly be replaced with while retaining the original flavor of the set. Mr. potatobot, have you looked into the possibility of pad-printing, or is your heart set on doubleshot novelties?

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #207 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 01:54:15 »
That's a good point, while not ideal pad printing is probably worth the sacrifice to keep the look.  People have already resorted to pad printing for stuff like the Windows 95 keys (like in Hydro) so it's not unheard of.  Could always design a couple more novelties that are doubleshot and then run a poll to see what people would rather have (or maybe just have both if not too cost-prohibitive?).

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #208 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 10:22:08 »
Hey guys, thanks for keeping the dream alive :D

Anyways, im currently talking to someone(a respectable vendor) who is really interested in running the set very soon but a bit weary of the timing and thee novelties are far from perfect.

From what I've read, GMK can't do doubleshots if the designs are too "fine". I think the lines have to be of a certain thickness, so unfortunately it would seem that most of the novelties are a no-go, unless they were done with pad printing. IIRC, this is what GMK Hydro did with the Windows 95 style winkey.

Yeah they are a bit too fine for doubleshot, GMK has already provided me with the specs of the tooling which i can work with.  :thumb:

I would like to suggest R4 1u novelties.

For suggestions, have you thought about the butterfly? I believe that it is very iconic to Hime or her butterfly wings for that matter. Would be excellent to have.
Example: http://www.rightstufanime.com/images/productImages/699858500741_merchandise-Accel-World-Pin-Set-Kuroyukihime-and-Butterfly.jpg?resizeid=3&resizeh=600&resizew=600

Another is the actual EXE brain burst file called 'BB2039", I think that would be ideal for R4 as 1.5u, 1.25u or 1u. Though it's not exactly linking to her itself but I think it is good to include
(Attachment Link)

Yes, the butterfly novelty is in the pipeline  ;)

OH right, my bad, yea I thought that might've been what you meant. When I spoke with Potato about the novelties some months ago I mentioned the mana cost as it is iconic for the Lotus as you said - I figure it may be hard to incorporate but it might be cool to have a stripe kit for example with where the 0-9 number row is done MTG style. Then again it might not tip MOQ wise as it is hard to gauge how many people buying into this set are fans hardcore enough to purchase that.

Another idea I threw around was having an enter key novelty where instead of the regular icon mods arrow it'd be the tap icon - not sure how feasible that one would be either but still, so many cool things one could do related to MTG if copyright infringement wasn't a thing and the GMK MOQ wasn't as high.

I should get the renders done soon so we can vote which novelties will be in the final list. Having so many novelties will make it more expensive and could cost us not reaching MOQ.

+1 
---
hmm... what about the icon for Brain Burst program? though I presume it's copyright-ed?

(Attachment Link)

If it doesn't affect the price of the base kit that much, we could try to have them. But im guessing additional kits would be a better option.

Ive been working on that brainburst logo for awhile and i came up with something for the enter key

http://i.imgur.com/zEi2r6u.jpg

That's a good point, while not ideal pad printing is probably worth the sacrifice to keep the look.  People have already resorted to pad printing for stuff like the Windows 95 keys (like in Hydro) so it's not unheard of.  Could always design a couple more novelties that are doubleshot and then run a poll to see what people would rather have (or maybe just have both if not too cost-prohibitive?).

I wouldnt want to risk pad printed novelties. Will post the renders as soon as i can. prolly 2 weeks from now. :D

Offline moonmaster

• big bumps, beautiful boards
« Reply #209 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 14:59:17 »
Registering my interest!

Offline Owl-

« Reply #210 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 21:02:38 »
If it doesn't affect the price of the base kit that much, we could try to have them. But im guessing additional kits would be a better option.

Ive been working on that brainburst logo for awhile and i came up with something for the enter key

If you do, please added two 2u space bars, whether that be a separate space bar kit or in the main set, you've gotta include it.
My hands and knees are freaking bowing down at you to make it happen!

That burst link graphic was something I wanted to mention but thought it was copyright issues or so, I guess not.
It looks awesome regardless! And great that the butterfly is in the works too.
Hoping it's for R4 1u-1.5u though as I feel there's plenty on R1 already.

Offline Rykno

« Reply #211 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 21:04:05 »
Really liking the novelties!  :thumb:

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #212 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 23:08:12 »
A friend sent me this black lotus v1:

The novelties are in the pipeline  :thumb:

Offline sundin

« Reply #213 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 15:49:43 »
Σ(-᷅_-᷄๑)

Very cool!

Offline Che.R.Ry

• geeks
« Reply #214 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 05:02:07 »
omg looks great! looking forward for this! :-*

Offline Che.R.Ry

• geeks
« Reply #215 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 05:05:09 »
Really like the colours. I've been on a purple craze lately with Plum and the JTK purple set I got.

+1 
---

(Attachment Link)

+1
really hoping for split spacebar kit too

Offline Katakhain

« Reply #216 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 04:15:00 »
I need this http://i.imgur.com/zwQvmtC.jpg

I know it's been a month or so but did you need help with the lotus flower novelty? I'm no designer either but doing some googling I found the original so I started looking for something simpler. Some of these are ok https://www.colourbox.com/preview/18802178-vector-black-lotus-icons-set-on-white-background.jpg

and I really like this but I don't know GMK's specs
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 March 2017, 04:41:52 by Katakhain »

Offline sundin

« Reply #217 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 04:01:25 »

Offline kawaiicheung

« Reply #218 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 11:31:52 »
Hey guys, thanks for keeping the dream alive :D

Anyways, im currently talking to someone(a respectable vendor) who is really interested in running the set very soon but a bit weary of the timing and thee novelties are far from perfect.

From what I've read, GMK can't do doubleshots if the designs are too "fine". I think the lines have to be of a certain thickness, so unfortunately it would seem that most of the novelties are a no-go, unless they were done with pad printing. IIRC, this is what GMK Hydro did with the Windows 95 style winkey.

Yeah they are a bit too fine for doubleshot, GMK has already provided me with the specs of the tooling which i can work with.  :thumb:

I would like to suggest R4 1u novelties.

For suggestions, have you thought about the butterfly? I believe that it is very iconic to Hime or her butterfly wings for that matter. Would be excellent to have.
Example: http://www.rightstufanime.com/images/productImages/699858500741_merchandise-Accel-World-Pin-Set-Kuroyukihime-and-Butterfly.jpg?resizeid=3&resizeh=600&resizew=600

Another is the actual EXE brain burst file called 'BB2039", I think that would be ideal for R4 as 1.5u, 1.25u or 1u. Though it's not exactly linking to her itself but I think it is good to include
(Attachment Link)

Yes, the butterfly novelty is in the pipeline  ;)

I should get the renders done soon so we can vote which novelties will be in the final list. Having so many novelties will make it more expensive and could cost us not reaching MOQ.

+1 
---

(Attachment Link)

I wouldnt want to risk pad printed novelties. Will post the renders as soon as i can. prolly 2 weeks from now. :D

The "burst link" is quite awesome.  Hope that it will be a kit that includes some non-standard layouts, like R3-1.75u-enter / R3-1.25u-caps or tab.
It would be great if the layout comes up like GMK Laser. Also a spacebar kit includes 1.75/2/2.25/2.75u spacebars will be fantastic.

Offline digisax

« Reply #219 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 16:57:43 »
I think I'm too much of a Magic fan not to get this set. The fact that it's purple helps too.
niu mini - R2 T1s, MT3 Dev/TTY

Offline patersunny

« Reply #220 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 20:12:16 »
Loving the look of this set!

Offline Cocopah

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #221 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 20:18:30 »
Damn, seen this get bumped up and got excited. Any news on this set? Still haven't lost interest in it.

Offline Sissy

« Reply #222 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 21:04:53 »
Damn, seen this get bumped up and got excited. Any news on this set? Still haven't lost interest in it.
Ye same, can never get enough sets with purple keys and been watching this since the start.

Offline megaforce

« Reply #223 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 14:06:11 »
potatobot pls black lotus when :)
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline _ivanopolis

« Reply #224 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 16:36:35 »
I really need this set in my life. Planning on building a new KB and want purple caps to go with it.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #225 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 05:13:45 »
Hi everyone!

Im sorry I couldn't post updates as often as I should. A lot has happened over the past couple of months and there are major changes with the plans for this set. Unfortunately they are still not set in stone and I wouldn't want to jinx it. Hope you will still support this keyset as I really would want this to be realized.

Im almost done redoing all the novelties. Just a bit confused what novelties to include or should I sell them all as a separate kit.

Will be updating you guys soon regarding the ff:
1. Schedule of sale
2. Vendor
3. Final kits

Anyways here are some mockups for this keyset. (Sorry if they are not that accurate and i just used this new KLE feature to make them. Hope this gives you a good idea on how this set would look on some of the most popular layouts)

40%

Planck

65%

75%

Fc660m

Ergodox

Offline _ivanopolis

« Reply #226 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 08:21:09 »
that looks great! Just ideas that dont have to be made but just throwing stuff out there for sh*ts and giggles. What would it look like if the alphas had the font color of the dark purple. Also, what if the alphas were purples and the mods black. Just ideas, either way im in on the GB when its released.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #227 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 08:30:37 »
I think in general novelties should be a separate kit with GMK.  It allows the base kit to come in at a lower price which is most important to a majority of buyers.   
keyboards.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #228 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 11:11:25 »
that looks great! Just ideas that dont have to be made but just throwing stuff out there for sh*ts and giggles. What would it look like if the alphas had the font color of the dark purple. Also, what if the alphas were purples and the mods black. Just ideas, either way im in on the GB when its released.

The lilac legends makes the set unique. While the inverse version was shown before but the current version had the most votes on the poll..

I think in general novelties should be a separate kit with GMK.  It allows the base kit to come in at a lower price which is most important to a majority of buyers.   

Yeah but i think the base set should have some novelties as well to separate the basekit from possible copies of the colorway.

Offline _ivanopolis

« Reply #229 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 11:29:33 »

The lilac legends makes the set unique. While the inverse version was shown before but the current version had the most votes on the poll..

Show Image

Damn I love that look a lot. If this is an option I would be a very happy man. If its not Ill still be a very happy man. Thanks for the updates, cant wait for the release date.

Offline bciamny

« Reply #230 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 18:40:02 »
i've been lurking around this ic since your first post. looking forward to the group buy :)

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #231 on: Sat, 27 May 2017, 09:22:34 »

Show Image

Damn I love that look a lot. If this is an option I would be a very happy man. If its not Ill still be a very happy man. Thanks for the updates, cant wait for the release date.

i've been lurking around this ic since your first post. looking forward to the group buy :)

It's really good to know that people appreciate the effort.  ;D

Offline ShishKabobJerry

« Reply #232 on: Sun, 28 May 2017, 01:15:58 »
Such a beautiful set. It looks great on the Planck. Totally looking to get on this once it drops!

Offline Che.R.Ry

• geeks
« Reply #233 on: Sun, 28 May 2017, 14:11:44 »
Hi everyone!

Im sorry I couldn't post updates as often as I should. A lot has happened over the past couple of months and there are major changes with the plans for this set. Unfortunately they are still not set in stone and I wouldn't want to jinx it. Hope you will still support this keyset as I really would want this to be realized.

Im almost done redoing all the novelties. Just a bit confused what novelties to include or should I sell them all as a separate kit.

Will be updating you guys soon regarding the ff:
1. Schedule of sale
2. Vendor
3. Final kits

Anyways here are some mockups for this keyset. (Sorry if they are not that accurate and i just used this new KLE feature to make them. Hope this gives you a good idea on how this set would look on some of the most popular layouts)

40%

Show Image

Planck

Show Image

65%

Show Image

75%

Show Image

Fc660m

Show Image

Ergodox

Show Image

I'd prefer the lilac legends tho, normal BoW is good but its less unique

Kudos for potatobot for continuing this project  :-*

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #234 on: Sun, 28 May 2017, 14:27:41 »
Has to be lilac legends imo.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #235 on: Sun, 28 May 2017, 15:04:06 »
I much much prefer the legend colors seen in the OP renders, unless you actually are sticking with those and these latest renders just look off.

Offline bciamny

« Reply #236 on: Sun, 28 May 2017, 15:41:56 »
I much much prefer the legend colors seen in the OP renders, unless you actually are sticking with those and these latest renders just look off.

i think it's just a render thing since the color codes seem the same. i think we can go off thesiscamper's renders for what keys in the set will actually look like. potato is just giving detail on what the set would look like in various keyboard configs.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #237 on: Sun, 28 May 2017, 23:02:15 »
i think it's just a render thing since the color codes seem the same. i think we can go off thesiscamper's renders for what keys in the set will actually look like. potato is just giving detail on what the set would look like in various keyboard configs.

Yea it has to be the renders. If you blow the images up you can tell it's lilac as it should be, you can just BARELY tell without enlarging them.

Offline ghostdeini

« Reply #238 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 13:51:10 »
Haven't checked in on this in a while, but I'm relieved to see that it's still clinging to life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #239 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 05:27:48 »
Sorry bout my cheap looking renders, They are just to show how the set would look on various layouts.

The legends are lilac by the way, i set it like that on KLE render but they look very light indeed.

Anyways, Im currently working with another vendor to get this set back on track ASAP.  :thumb:

Offline aznreaper

« Reply #240 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 23:53:10 »
So will there be light and dark arrow keys? Renders only show the light but on the TKL render it's dark

Edit: woops, I'm dumb, haven't checked out the set in a while and just checked the front page and noticed it has both in the base kit, sorry

Offline mypainishurt

« Reply #241 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 23:53:51 »
This looks amazing...

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #242 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 15:49:21 »
i'm down for this. what needs to happen?

Offline pab

• Dvorakian Nightmare
« Reply #243 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 23:01:05 »
This would be a very easy purchase for me. IDK what board I'd even put it on yet haha.

Offline ghostdeini

« Reply #244 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 18:07:07 »
This would be a very easy purchase for me. IDK what board I'd even put it on yet haha.

This set would look amazing on an "understated" board like the m-65. Black Lotus is what I've been dreaming of putting on mine. The board looks all serious and clean, while the keyset pops and looks very unique!

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #245 on: Thu, 29 June 2017, 01:17:28 »
Sounds like you need to build a new keyboard :O

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #246 on: Thu, 29 June 2017, 06:11:36 »

This set would look amazing on an "understated" board like the m-65. Black Lotus is what I've been dreaming of putting on mine. The board looks all serious and clean, while the keyset pops and looks very unique!

Would want that purple brocap with a black lotus though haha!

Offline SinisterSound

« Reply #247 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 08:34:08 »
I'd love to see an option for RGB shine-through lettering.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #248 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 14:59:15 »
I'd love to see an option for RGB shine-through lettering.

As far as I'm aware neither GMK or SP make shine through caps at all. They would likely need lots of time to adjust since shine through doubleshots work by using 2 different plastics. This would also be super limiting in terms of available colors.

Its not gonna happen.

Offline ghostdeini

« Reply #249 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 16:35:50 »
Has a vendor been chosen for this keyset, or is that still being hammered out at this time?