Poll

Which type for GMK black lotus?

ICON mods
401 (66.3%)
TEXT mods
204 (33.7%)

Total Members Voted: 605

Author Topic: [IC] Black Lotus Keyset - UPDATED OP - GB GOING LIVE ON TKC ON APRIL 2020  (Read 292378 times)

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
Re: [IC] Black Lotus Keyset (Poll for color scheme ongoing)
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 10:47:20 »

Coming from a massive MTG player/fan im glad you are including this legend. Another idea would be maybe the iconic "0" mana cost legend:

could be just a 0 with a circle around it (not sure if you can even do that with injection molding) or just the lighter area in symbol itself. Its a weird little reference i know but its why the Black Lotus is so sought after.

digging this set! only thing i would suggest is to add a space bar that matches the alphas, the pastel purple spacebar is ugly.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 October 2016, 11:07:47 by redbanshee »

Offline Vigrith

Re: [IC] Black Lotus Keyset Update: MTG and Accelworld Novelties are up
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 11:19:25 »
I agree Banshee, I PM'd Potato a bunch of other ideas for it now (though I'm wary they'll all get destroyed by copyright related issues) but the 0 with a circle around it would be amazing if it can be achieved with the molds available.

Glad to see other MTG fans/players!

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 11:30:37 »
I agree Banshee, I PM'd Potato a bunch of other ideas for it now (though I'm wary they'll all get destroyed by copyright related issues) but the 0 with a circle around it would be amazing if it can be achieved with the molds available.

Glad to see other MTG fans/players!

Show Image

Coming from a massive MTG player/fan im glad you are including this legend. Another idea would be maybe the iconic "0" mana cost legend:

Show Image

could be just a 0 with a circle around it (not sure if you can even do that with injection molding) or just the lighter area in symbol itself. Its a weird little reference i know but its why the Black Lotus is so sought after.

digging this set! only thing i would suggest is to add a space bar that matches the alphas, the pastel purple spacebar is ugly.

Thanks guys for the ideas! Especially for the stripe kits Vigrith!

For the "0 with a circle around it" that would be tripleshot right? Would have to confirm with gmk if the tooling they use could accomodate that design.

Thanks for the support guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 12:09:13 »

For the "0 with a circle around it" that would be tripleshot right? Would have to confirm with gmk if the tooling they use could accomodate that design.

If you just do the lighter area in the symbol, it would be just be double shot.

Offline BrettW

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 15:06:00 »
I need option 1 in my life!  The only thing that i would like to see if the spacebar also be available in the black/dark color and/or the same purple as the modifiers.

Thank for putting this set together! :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 October 2016, 15:08:17 by BrettW »

Offline Ethernic

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 21:15:16 »
I also really like Type 1. And I'll second the request for a black spacebar, or at least one that matches the rest of the mods.

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 22:25:35 »
I think this set will be perfect for my zealio board   :thumb:
though I think I need 1.75u Fn  ;D

and... is there a 1.5u Shift?  :eek:
150430-0

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 14 October 2016, 02:47:40 »

If you just do the lighter area in the symbol, it would be just be double shot.

Show Image

Yep i think that could work on black or dark violet keys  :thumb: sorry about the late updates, ive been swamped with school work.

I need option 1 in my life!  The only thing that i would like to see if the spacebar also be available in the black/dark color and/or the same purple as the modifiers.

Thank for putting this set together! :)

Yes im planning on changing that to either black or the darker violet, i would have to make a poll on which spacebar colors works best for everyone though. Thanks for your input :)

I also really like Type 1. And I'll second the request for a black spacebar, or at least one that matches the rest of the mods.

Noted sir :) so a poll between black and violet... since we need to have both 6.25u and 7u in the base kit haha!

I think this set will be perfect for my zealio board   :thumb:
though I think I need 1.75u Fn  ;D

and... is there a 1.5u Shift?  :eek:
(Attachment Link)

Yes in the base kit. =) the burst link enter would be removed from the base kit.

I would post better renders when I can. Im not rushing things as the queue for GMK keycaps is going to set this at around Q2 2017 and I was thinking of running this set on MD :D

Offline MJL

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 07:05:54 »
Just some random thoughts: Don't know the exact specifications and if you have thought of it and / or already included or rejected:
- spacebar for Leopold (FC660M?)
- small caps lock so that caps lock and ctrl can be swapped
- perhaps a blank key of each size for something that has been missed?

Cheers!

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
[IC] Black Lotus Keyset Update: MTG and Accelworld Novelties are up
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 10:44:58 »
Just some random thoughts: Don't know the exact specifications and if you have thought of it and / or already included or rejected:
- spacebar for Leopold (FC660M?)
- small caps lock so that caps lock and ctrl can be swapped
- perhaps a blank key of each size for something that has been missed?

Cheers!

Hey mate,

- For the spacebar, it would definitely be tough to have an extra one specifically for fc660m. Most people would just mod the spacebar or keep using the original.
- i could include this extra cap if it doesnt affect the cost
- additional blank keys would mean more cost but something to consider definitely. I hope the novelties could fill this gap though.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Cheers

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
[IC] Black Lotus Keyset Update: MTG and Accelworld Novelties are up
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 11:27:55 »
Base set updates :)

Novelties are on the way. :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 October 2016, 11:57:17 by potatobot »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 12:17:33 »
Looks great yo! Makes me happy seeing you took the Lotus and made it the set's "logo", super cool!

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 12:24:06 »

Show Image

Ouu baby now that's a pretty set. Love the update.

One suggestion I have would be to offer the Enter and Esc in the light purple color like GMK Skeletor did with yellow and green IIRC.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 October 2016, 12:26:27 by Fictiouz »
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline Weiss

• Impulse buying at its finest
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 19:09:08 »
Wow, I'd definitely be into this set when/if it drops!

Been wanting a sick black/purple set for my collection that isn't DCS (The Bro Set).

Offline richard912

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 20:01:21 »
Am really loving the colorway. Make this happen!

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 22:23:20 »
Thanks all for the support, im sorry about they late updates, ive been meaning to post new stuff more often but my schedule isn't allowing me to. I hope i can get the novelties up by the end of the week. :D

Show Image

Ouu baby now that's a pretty set. Love the update.

One suggestion I have would be to offer the Enter and Esc in the light purple color like GMK Skeletor did with yellow and green IIRC.

Sure thing, i think i can add 2 enter keys and an esc key in light purple.

nay for light purple spacebar?

Offline BrettW

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 00:32:25 »
You know, now that I am seeing what it looks like without the lighter spacebar, I am not sure...

I really like both colorways, so it would probably be safer to go with the black.  If you can do a second "package" and include spacebars in the lighter colorway, that would be incredible.  Not sure if it would reach MOQ though...

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 08:26:04 »
You know, now that I am seeing what it looks like without the lighter spacebar, I am not sure...

I really like both colorways, so it would probably be safer to go with the black.  If you can do a second "package" and include spacebars in the lighter colorway, that would be incredible.  Not sure if it would reach MOQ though...

yup i would have liked to have those lighter keys too but some prefer to have it in darker tones.

MOQ is at risk when having too many options. decisions decisions.  :-\

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 08:41:01 »

yup i would have liked to have those lighter keys too but some prefer to have it in darker tones.

I think one pack inclusive of everything is much better than many different child sets, but that's just me. :p
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 08:52:55 »

I think one pack inclusive of everything is much better than many different child sets, but that's just me. :p

But wouldn't it make the overall cost higher for everyone? I have no idea how additional keys would affect the overall pricing tho. some colors would have to requested as custom colors especially the dark purple.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 17:55:39 »
The set cost does go up with adding more keys to it.  It's why we often see child kits on SP sets.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 04:39:25 »
The set cost does go up with adding more keys to it.  It's why we often see child kits on SP sets.

It certainly does. But i rarely see any GMK kits with child kits. :(

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #72 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 13:05:55 »

The GMK child kits are few if any.  A lot of that is due to GMKs MoQ requirements.  The MoQ numbers from SP are much much lower which allows for child kits that won't hit large enough numbers to meet GMKs numbers.  It's why child kits have been much more common on SP sets but GMK sets were typically a larger full set and nothing more.  The down side for GMK here was that specialty stuff like ErgoDox kits might be left out of a GMK buy as the number of buyers is low enough to not hit MoQ or be worth adding into everyone's kit.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #73 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 11:50:18 »

The GMK child kits are few if any.  A lot of that is due to GMKs MoQ requirements.  The MoQ numbers from SP are much much lower which allows for child kits that won't hit large enough numbers to meet GMKs numbers.  It's why child kits have been much more common on SP sets but GMK sets were typically a larger full set and nothing more.  The down side for GMK here was that specialty stuff like ErgoDox kits might be left out of a GMK buy as the number of buyers is low enough to not hit MoQ or be worth adding into everyone's kit.

SP's uniform r3 SA is a great contender for me, but GMK won the poll. Maybe additional kits for when the base kit is successful. 

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 08:57:19 »
3d renders are up!

thanks to thesiscamper!  :thumb:

Offline Vigrith

Re: [IC] Black Lotus Keyset Update: 3D renders are up
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 09:47:14 »
Wow, Camper killing it with the renders as always, that looks so sick. Looking forward to further developments!

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #76 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 11:23:33 »
Wow, Camper killing it with the renders as always, that looks so sick. Looking forward to further developments!

Thanks!

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 21:42:41 »
Definitely worried about the MOQ for the GMK sets.

SP having options to have child deals is more appealing to me now since people have different keyboards/layouts.

The purples on this set is not even available on GMK.  :(

Any recommendation guys?

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 22:18:52 »

SP having options to have child deals is more appealing to me now since people have different keyboards/layouts.

Any recommendation guys?

I love DSA so I'm probably biased, I'm good with SA too though. GMK's usually my least preferred profile when it comes to aesthetics save for very specific sets (though they are fantastic to type on of course) so if you do have to move away from that idea I know I'd be in the minority when I say I'm excited.

SP tends to do purple/violet really well imo (my favourite colour) as can be seen from a few of their previous buys so that's something to consider I suppose if GMK does not even offer the purple shade you envision.

I also much rather SP's ability to accommodate child kits rather than GMK's "all in one" (or 2) model. Having to buy a bunch of caps I will not utilize to get a single 1.75 rshift for my WhiteFox is never fun, at least with SP I can sorta mix and match, eg. I usually buy the 40s kit for my 40% travel/office board and snatch the 1.75 rshift from there for my WF for home usage.

Offline richard912

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 00:16:47 »
Wonder how it would look like with bigger alpha legends....

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 00:26:49 »

Do you mean SP's D/SA font? :D

Any recommendation guys?

I love DSA so I'm probably biased, I'm good with SA too though. GMK's usually my least preferred profile when it comes to aesthetics save for very specific sets (though they are fantastic to type on of course) so if you do have to move away from that idea I know I'd be in the minority when I say I'm excited.

SP tends to do purple/violet really well imo (my favourite colour) as can be seen from a few of their previous buys so that's something to consider I suppose if GMK does not even offer the purple shade you envision.

I also much rather SP's ability to accommodate child kits rather than GMK's "all in one" (or 2) model. Having to buy a bunch of caps I will not utilize to get a single 1.75 rshift for my WhiteFox is never fun, at least with SP I can sorta mix and match, eg. I usually buy the 40s kit for my 40% travel/office board and snatch the 1.75 rshift from there for my WF for home usage.

Noted, I agree to all your points.

I like how spherical keycaps feel too, and the colors that SP offers is gonna make this set look awesome. The thing is that most people probably prefer GMK ABS as they are thicker than DSAs.

I wanted to have it on uniform SA r3 which will be thicker than DSA and not as high as the normal SA caps.

Would like to hear more feedback regarding this matter though. Mock-ups for D/SA might change their minds  :thumb:

Offline richard912

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 01:05:04 »

Yup!

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 01:20:50 »

Yup!

I did post a DSA mockup before but GMK won the poll for the profile.

But im still considering SP because of the limitations in colors pallets and MOQ constraints.  :thumb:

Offline richard912

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 03:06:10 »

Yup!

But im still considering SP because of the limitations in colors pallets and MOQ constraints.  :thumb:

The colorway is what makes this stands out. Stay true!!

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 03:15:01 »

Yup!

The colorway is what makes this stands out. Stay true!!
+1

it has to be this purple, please!!!

EDIT: I don't mind DSA  :D

Offline richard912

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 03:23:21 »
+1

it has to be this purple, please!!!

EDIT: I don't mind DSA  :D
Yay! Good to know I'm not alone in this.

Offline hervuli

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 04:38:23 »
 Just to offer a differing view, I would be 100% in on this in Cherry profile but unlikely to go in for DSA. Lots of DSA sets coming out these days. And GMK can do custom colors, right? Doesn't GMK Plum use nonstandard colors? Though I imagine it comes at a price
JD40v2 MX Grey | HHKB BKE Heavy | E6-V2 78g Tealios | ZealX60 72g MX Zilent | TGR 910 RE 78g MX Zilent | Singa Vintage MX Black | Octagon V2 MX Grey | Orion V2 MX Clear | Novatouch BKE Extreme

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 05:05:02 »
Yes GMK would allow custom colors at a higher MOQ.

The issue really is due to the fact that most people would want to have several options on how to use this set. If we add more and more keys to this single base set, the cost would be high, unless of course if it would be fine to have it drop on MD as the base kit first, if its successful, another drop for child kits would come up.

Its good to have you all comment and support this keyset :) i hope i can create novelties that would hype up the community for the GB

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #88 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 09:36:18 »

I like how spherical keycaps feel too, and the colors that SP offers is gonna make this set look awesome. The thing is that most people probably prefer GMK ABS as they are thicker than DSAs.

I wanted to have it on uniform SA r3 which will be thicker than DSA and not as high as the normal SA caps.

Would like to hear more feedback regarding this matter though. Mock-ups for D/SA might change their minds  :thumb:

Yea, I'd be perfectly okay with uniform r3 (or 2-2-3-3-3-3 like a few sets have been doing) as well because my boards are all flat regardless, don't own any slanted cases at this point - I'm all for a few mock-ups and potential renders for D/SA, hopefully you can get some more novelties going too which may spice it up a bit as you said!

Another thing to consider is DSA's price:MOQ ratio, looking Evan's Lightcycle buy that closed a couple days ago that I was proudly a part of he managed to get $80 as the price for the base set (which included like 6 novelties, a couple accents AND a few non-standard modifiers) at a 100 MOQ - that's crazy considering I had to pay like $160 to support the same layout with Godspeed for example and $145 for Keyboard&Co GMK (single kit + spacebars). He also had an adapter kit that supported a lot of other non-standard layouts and full international support for $50 which again is crazy value.

Still, I'm behind you on this no matter what, the colours and thematic(s) make the set.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 09:54:13 »

Yea, I'd be perfectly okay with uniform r3 (or 2-2-3-3-3-3 like a few sets have been doing) as well because my boards are all flat regardless, don't own any slanted cases at this point - I'm all for a few mock-ups and potential renders for D/SA, hopefully you can get some more novelties going too which may spice it up a bit as you said!

Another thing to consider is DSA's price:MOQ ratio, looking Evan's Lightcycle buy that closed a couple days ago that I was proudly a part of he managed to get $80 as the price for the base set (which included like 6 novelties, a couple accents AND a few non-standard modifiers) at a 100 MOQ - that's crazy considering I had to pay like $160 to support the same layout with Godspeed for example and $145 for Keyboard&Co GMK (single kit + spacebars). He also had an adapter kit that supported a lot of other non-standard layouts and full international support for $50 which again is crazy value.

Still, I'm behind you on this no matter what, the colours and thematic(s) make the set.

Woah that is cheap for a DSA set. Too bad im loaded with stuff right now that i cant get off my hands.

The delayed novelty designs are due to the limitations of the tooling used for double shot. Ive been working closely with thisiscamper to ensure that the design is doable while keeping the theme on point

Black lotus will be produced no matter what :)

Offline richard912

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 21:13:43 »

As long as you stay true to the colorway, I'm down for a set

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 22:53:49 »

As long as you stay true to the colorway, I'm down for a set

Definitely. The colors would be fixed. Hopefully it will be sold in MD for the lowest possible prices

Offline shadowstar2417

« Reply #92 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 02:53:34 »
Would definitely be interested in a set of SA!

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #93 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 03:48:57 »

Maybe r2 would be in SA. :)

Offline shadowstar2417

« Reply #94 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 04:14:15 »

I see that now! Sorry, I'm new to GH and I'm still getting used to the old style forum layout. Didn't quite see how far along this was!

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
[IC] Black Lotus Keyset Update: 3D renders are up
« Reply #95 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 04:49:21 »

I see that now! Sorry, I'm new to GH and I'm still getting used to the old style forum layout. Didn't quite see how far along this was!

I like this layout better than reddit's haha!

I might be getting too old for this.

Maybe uniform SA r3 or 2-2-3-3-3-3

Offline shadowstar2417

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 11:21:56 »

Haha, I still prefer to use Reddit, but all the good GBs happen here, so I wanted to start using it.

That being said I've never used GMK keycaps before, though I've heard they're high quality. What's the ABS they use like? quality-wise I mean.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #97 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 11:32:31 »

Haha, I still prefer to use Reddit, but all the good GBs happen here, so I wanted to start using it.

That being said I've never used GMK keycaps before, though I've heard they're high quality. What's the ABS they use like? quality-wise I mean.

Well, doing ICs there is a pain, along with down votes. The comment system is really crazy for me, im used to having long post and old style forums give you all the freedom to add awesome signatures.

Actually i haven't owned any GMK keysets at all, its been highly recommended by the community, so the quality must be top notch as people here are pretty picky about their keycaps. Maybe a tad thicker than SA ABS.

What SP profile have you tried? I currently own an r2 granite and a SA r4 carbon community keycap. They are both thin on the sides but they dont feel like those cheap abs you get with most keyboards.

Offline shadowstar2417

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 12:05:52 »

Well, doing ICs there is a pain, along with down votes. The comment system is really crazy for me, im used to having long post and old style forums give you all the freedom to add awesome signatures.

Actually i haven't owned any GMK keysets at all, its been highly recommended by the community, so the quality must be top notch as people here are pretty picky about their keycaps. Maybe a tad thicker than SA ABS.

What SP profile have you tried? I currently own an r2 granite and a SA r4 carbon community keycap. They are both thin on the sides but they dont feel like those cheap abs you get with most keyboards.

Well... actually I haven't tried any... I'm somewhat new here. I mean I'm not new to keyboards, but only recently have I started trying to actually spend money and get nicer keycaps. My current keycaps are super cheap abs ones from WASDkeyboards, they were what came with my VP3 and they've started to shine already after only about a month. That's why I'm kinda apprehensive about getting more ABS keycaps, though I think the GMK ones should last longer. Was thinking about getting some DSA PBT ones from SP and dying the modifiers purple because nobody sells this color purple in PBT.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 12:14:16 »

Offtopic so apologies but I gotta say I absolutely abhor reddit's layout - I cannot for the life of me get used to the whole weird comment display thing they got going on, then some comments are hidden and videos aren't embedded always and then there's upvotes downvotes and then they aren't properly organized, it's just a cesspool compared to this standard forum layout where everything's tidy and you can have avatars and signatures and everything's organized.