Author Topic: [IC] SP SA Mechanist (Restart!)  (Read 154617 times)

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
Re: [IC] SA Mechanist (MassDrop Poll openned!)
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 22:05:29 »
You can venture into the MaxKey SA (uncharted) territories.

Yes, I know that profile, and have gotten a 104 keyset to have a try.
As I know , they only have 104+WKL models, if users want to add more specs, the cost of modeling become even higher, especially the novelties are very high ,even higher than SP.

It seems that the Chinese makers really want to deal with higher volume and keep their costs minimized.  The kind of sets we're used to don't seem to currently be their strong point.

With high price and low production ability, SP can not fullfil all the Chinese market now.
so, some makers in China are trying to do some copy like SA profile, as I know at least more than 2 makers failed, their products are very poor and totally unusable.
Maxkey seems the best of them, its molds are better, products feel more smooth.
But the material and colors are hard to tell.

Well their molds are better because it is SP's old molds that they sold to them. Though the molds have flaws such as printing "back space" instead of "backspace" apparently maxxkeys is trying to fix them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline simonyunhe

« Reply #201 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 22:53:04 »

As I know , they only have 104+WKL models, if users want to add more specs, the cost of modeling become even higher, especially the novelties are very high ,even higher than SP.

It seems that the Chinese makers really want to deal with higher volume and keep their costs minimized.  The kind of sets we're used to don't seem to currently be their strong point.

With high price and low production ability, SP can not fullfil all the Chinese market now.
so, some makers in China are trying to do some copy like SA profile, as I know at least more than 2 makers failed, their products are very poor and totally unusable.

Well their molds are better because it is SP's old molds that they sold to them. Though the molds have flaws such as printing "back space" instead of "backspace" apparently maxxkeys is trying to fix them

Wow! Is this true? SP sold their molds to Maxkey, that explains why their keys are almost identical.
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #202 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 23:28:27 »

:eek: :eek: :eek:
Are you sure?
If that is true, what a explosive news!

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #203 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 00:02:50 »

:eek: :eek: :eek:
Are you sure?
If that is true, what a explosive news!

Don't have time to search for sources now but yes. That doesn't mean they can print custom sets, just standard stuff currently, but maybe one day they'll get there. Originative is actually running a proxy groupbuy for them on kbdist.com . couple 104key sets at $75

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #204 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 03:14:00 »
………………

From My iPhone 9.99

Offline drakeonyou

• facebook
« Reply #205 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 00:40:24 »
………………

From My iPhone 9.99

I'm still interested in the Frosted set anyway.

Here's another MaxKey (Chinese SA) group buy https://www.zfrontier.com/m/1357

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #206 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 13:54:45 »
Any update on this amazing set? I see the MD poll is getting good results so was just curious.

Regards

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #207 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 22:41:06 »
Looks like massdrop has plans to run SA Carbon round 2 in the summer, then SA Oblivion sometime after, maybe we can get lucky and sneak in after that?

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #208 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 23:33:51 »
Looks like massdrop has plans to run SA Carbon round 2 in the summer, then SA Oblivion sometime after, maybe we can get lucky and sneak in after that?

Those have already been planned for with MD and SP so they're part of the reason for the 1 year SA backlog.  You'd have to wait for SP and MD to open up SA orders again before being able to get anything new in.

Offline GreyAmbience

• I can stop when ever I want
« Reply #209 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 03:09:10 »
... Or get MaxKeys to produce them for half the cost and time frame

Sent from my microwave oven using alternating current

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #210 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 07:24:24 »
... Or get MaxKeys to produce them for half the cost and time frame

Sent from my microwave oven using alternating current

I'm fine with MaxKeys but this is a set I'm very excited for and would like done right. MaxKeys is cheaper and shorter but they also have a good deal of inconsistencies. Also they produce matte keys not the shiny abs that I really prefer and I know I can't be the only one. Also has MaxKeys updated their molds yet? would they even be able to do those novelty keys?

MaxKeys appearance on the scene is great, and I'm happy about it. But I don't think they would do well making this keyset. All we've seen from them so far is fairly simple stuff in the ways of novelties and colors, until we see more I just wouldn't trust them with something like this.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #211 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 07:43:52 »
Maxkeys has limited molds and lack full compatibility we've come to expect from marquee sets. Also the small errors they're still working out are unacceptable for something like this set. Better left to generic and reproduction sets until they're ironed out. Not a knock, as they're doing great work so far.
keyboards.

Offline Valaris

« Reply #212 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 08:17:04 »
Maxkeys has limited molds and lack full compatibility we've come to expect from marquee sets. Also the small errors they're still working out are unacceptable for something like this set. Better left to generic and reproduction sets until they're ironed out. Not a knock, as they're doing great work so far.

Yeah I'm eager for them to start including compatibility pack so I can buy a set for my Truefox.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #213 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 12:10:22 »
MaxKeys has to start somewhere, though.  If they can produce some sets and build up comfort in putting money into additional molds, the community wins.  If they want to mostly stick to what they've got, the community still wins as some sets will still move over there for more continuous production while others will stick with SP given the advantages of doing so.

In either case, it's nice to have MaxKeys in the picture.

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #214 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 12:15:01 »
MaxKeys has to start somewhere, though.  If they can produce some sets and build up comfort in putting money into additional molds, the community wins.  If they want to mostly stick to what they've got, the community still wins as some sets will still move over there for more continuous production while others will stick with SP given the advantages of doing so.

I completely agree, but they should start slow and slowly gain the knowledge/invest in the proper tooling and how to use it consistently right. Starting with sets with no novelties like they have, to some custom novelties/additional compat kits, then increase on that. I think the amount of novelties and compatibility we want for this kit would be way to much to throw at them right off the start without getting a bunch of errors

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #215 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 19:00:40 »

I completely agree, but they should start slow and slowly gain the knowledge/invest in the proper tooling and how to use it consistently right. Starting with sets with no novelties like they have, to some custom novelties/additional compat kits, then increase on that. I think the amount of novelties and compatibility we want for this kit would be way to much to throw at them right off the start without getting a bunch of errors

Yeah, this is true.  Given they've got a handful of sets they'll be producing, we'll be able to see how they do.  I'd probably be willing to jump in on a set were it in a colorway that I really liked, given the price.  At present, I can sit back and give my wallet a break as I watch the current handful of buys go through to see how they turn out.

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #216 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 20:30:24 »
Any update on this amazing set? I see the MD poll is getting good results so was just curious.

Regards

Not any improvement. but I will continue to contact MD if I got a confirmed reply.

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #217 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 07:34:27 »
I really hope this set happens. It's absolutely gorgeous.

I assume at this point it's just a waiting game until SP opens up for orders again? Guessing once you have a production slot lined up it will be easy to find a vendor to host/run the GB.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 April 2017, 09:13:27 by ChitownM2 »

Offline PlasticSporkz

« Reply #218 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 08:24:51 »
I'd love to get in on this set.
Ducky Shine 2, Poker II, Leopold FC980M x2. Cherry Blues

Offline joelfong

« Reply #219 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 12:41:07 »
This is a really nice blue theme. Great work! There's so many amazing SA keysets. And only so much I can spend... D:

Offline bjb39

« Reply #220 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 08:23:30 »
Just when I thought I didn't need more keycaps!

Offline xyverz

« Reply #221 on: Sun, 16 April 2017, 14:55:31 »
Just when I thought I didn't need more keycaps!

Ditto. And I'm currently waiting for another four keycap sets I ordered on MD to arrive.

Offline consolation

« Reply #222 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 09:38:59 »
Awesome set, hope this drops! BUT, please split the mods into 60% and TKL, this will save 60% & TK owners buying lots of pointless caps...

Offline Loffeno

« Reply #223 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 12:10:12 »
Interested especially since you have a Minilia kit.

Offline U_s_e_r

« Reply #224 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 03:06:31 »
Is this set on hold? Saw the long lead times mentioned at the MD poll and just wondering what the plan forward is. :)

Offline longtran1568

« Reply #225 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 06:18:15 »
Ok, as a Mechanical Engineer I am 100% in. Let's the waiting game begins...

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #226 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 11:46:23 »
I'd be surprised if any SP sets still in the IC phase would be delivered before 2019.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline richard912

« Reply #227 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 20:42:52 »
The more I see this, the more I like it. It is missing a 1U R4 "END" key for the Adaptor kit though

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #228 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 01:55:13 »
The more I see this, the more I like it. It is missing a 1U R4 "END" key for the Adaptor kit though

Hi ,Can you tell me what the 1u R4 END key used for?
If it's good for some keyboards, I can add it. :)

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #229 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 03:49:45 »

https://www.massdrop.com/talk/947/keyboard-layouts-explained-in-detail-many-pics

Z70 for example. I think most people using 65/75% boards will appreciate a selection of 1u keys for the right side.

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #230 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 04:02:08 »

https://www.massdrop.com/talk/947/keyboard-layouts-explained-in-detail-many-pics

Z70 for example. I think most people using 65/75% boards will appreciate a selection of 1u keys for the right side.

OK, thank for your information,  :)

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #231 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 05:13:37 »
I'd be surprised if any SP sets still in the IC phase would be delivered before 2019.

Is there not an option for IC creators to approach MaxKey with their SA profiles? The reviews of Ashen etc have been quite positive.

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #232 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 05:41:47 »

Is there not an option for IC creators to approach MaxKey with their SA profiles? The reviews of Ashen etc have been quite positive.

You can, but then you probably won't see any of these novelties. MaxKeys is much cheaper for a standard set when compared to SP, but they charge A LOT for novelties from what I understand.

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #233 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 01:28:45 »
SP ABS color code samples.

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #234 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 01:31:16 »

In fact, Maxkey is not my original plan, for this keyset I only plan to make in SP SA ABS profile.
Maxkey is also good enough for use, but novelties are very high.

Offline xantiema

« Reply #235 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 10:36:04 »
I wouldn't mind joining in for the MaxKeys variant to be entirely honest. We wouldn't have to wait for mid- 2018 and pay significantly less. Their latest moulds are getting pretty darn good.

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #236 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 21:31:34 »
Wallet is so decimated at this point, it's just assume wait to get this set done properly by SP. This set needs the novelties.

Offline GreyAmbience

« Reply #237 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 00:38:16 »
I was planning on skipping this, but if it goes to MaxKeys I'm in. Prices are so much better and literally no wait time compared to SP.

Offline GreyAmbience

« Reply #238 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 00:38:53 »

I got Ashen a few days ago. Looks great.

Offline sklin

« Reply #239 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 00:39:50 »
No, not Maxkey! This set needs the novelties..

Offline hormbre

• I am not played by keycaps = =!
« Reply #240 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 09:07:27 »
I really can not understand why MD do not make this drop happen, what the hell is wrong with them  :mad: :mad: :mad:

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #241 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 23:16:37 »
I really can not understand why MD do not make this drop happen, what the hell is wrong with them  :mad: :mad: :mad:

I wouldn't pin this entirely on MD. SP's pipeline queue is quite long (see below). Combine that with the likely point that MD probably already has sets (not just SA) that have been committed for a while that plan on releasing between now and the end of the year, and it pushes out the timeline for when it'd make sense to engage more deeply on logistics for this set. Just my 2c.

"Current production lead times are as follows: [...] SA two-shot sets - currently booked out 12 months"
 (source)

All that said, I do look forward to this set (eventually) dropping.
@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #242 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 23:29:55 »

I wouldn't pin this entirely on MD. SP's pipeline queue is quite long (see below). Combine that with the likely point that MD probably already has sets (not just SA) that have been committed for a while that plan on releasing between now and the end of the year, and it pushes out the timeline for when it'd make sense to engage more deeply on logistics for this set. Just my 2c.

"Current production lead times are as follows: [...] SA two-shot sets - currently booked out 12 months"
 (source)

All that said, I do look forward to this set (eventually) dropping.

That's great and all but HOQ started an interest check, and group buy for SP SA Ocean Dolch not to long ago, and well after the IC for this, and proceeded with that even though it doesn't ship till next June. So the queue isn't the problem.

And I don't think MD is the go to for this, he said he was looking around for others to help run it, MD is just a good place to post a poll to gauge interest.

Offline richard912

« Reply #243 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 23:40:29 »

Hope to see the 1u R4 "END" key in the final set

OK, thank for your information,  :)

Offline Hookerlips

« Reply #244 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 23:01:44 »
Wow this looks amazing. Really starting to have problem here. Is this going to get made?

Offline OneNightFriend

« Reply #245 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 09:44:54 »
Neat colorway! Voted.

Offline Scarhoof

« Reply #246 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 00:32:10 »
This set is amazing! Can't wait for it to become a reality.

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
Re: [IC] SA Mechanist (Come in 2018 with MD!)
« Reply #247 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 20:02:17 »
Hi guys, some good news about this keyset.
I've got a reply from MD, they said they plan to put this keyset in their 2018 schedule.
but we still have to wait for further information before the real launch time has been decided. :))

Thanks so much for you guys' supports in voting for this keyset on poll:
https://www.massdrop.com/vote/-SA-Mechanist-Tell-me-what-you-like
Because of your supports, we have got nearly 3000 votes untill now!

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #248 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 20:04:15 »
Hi guys, some good news about this keyset.
I've got a reply from MD, they said they plan to put this keyset in their 2018 schedule.
but we still have to wait for further information before the real launch time has been decided. :))

Thanks so much for you guys' supports in voting for this keyset on poll:
https://www.massdrop.com/vote/-SA-Mechanist-Tell-me-what-you-like
Because of your supports, we have got nearly 3000 votes untill now!

That's great news! Any plans to see if Maxkeys can run this as well? They're getting their major molds fixed and are doing custom novelities as well. Could probably have this organized and shipped before Massdrop even gives you a set date for the SP GB.

Offline Corgi Butts

« Reply #249 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 20:13:02 »
This set is gorgeous.  If Maxkeys can crank out a quality set without the novelties, that sounds good to me. The novelties in this set aren't really that necessary for the set to shine.