Author Topic: [IC] Kabuto SA - Meditation  (Read 49904 times)

Offline Arallu

[IC] Kabuto SA - Meditation
« on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 13:00:41 »
SA Kabuto

Hello all, welcome to the Kabuto thread!
The colors and legends of this keyset are meant to evoke a traditional Japanese feeling and were inspired by DSA Otaku, Granite, the Hosho IC thread, and of course Japanese Samurai armor.
The Kabuto name (Samurai helmet) symbolizes the keycaps as they sit atop our favorite switches!

Massdrop Poll - over 150 votes!

I originally started designing this as a DSA set, but I think running this with SP's new SA PBT dye-sub process, the same as used for Ice Cap and Industrial, opens up more designs, specifically the double legends seen in traditional Japanese layouts, but now in SA R3 profile.
PBT SA dye-sub is made by SP in uniform R3 profile.
Taking queues from JIS standard layouts and Realforce HiPro keyboards, this set has alphas that are formatted with Hiragana and English subscript for practicality and approachability.

Pictures
Renders by Oblotzky

Kits
1. Base TKL

2. Numpad

3. Tsangan/60% Adapters

4. Alt Colors

5. Novelties

6. ISO kit

7. Spacebars

The PBT color codes seen above are RBH, TT, and GQT(VS):

Updates:
- 1/3/17 - SP will be able to dye-sub the SA profile the same as DSA, so Hiragana w/ English subscript is still an option on the SA R3 keys.
- 1/4/17 - Fixed Icon mods and swapped F11/12 to vertical, settled on PBT SA
- 1/10/17 - Working on getting some renders made
- 1/12/17 - Updated numpad to Arabic numbers, tweaked the mods a bit
- 1/24/17 - Renders in progress, added text mods
- 1/25/17 - Renders uploaded
- 2/13/17 - added ISO kit
- 6/13/17 - added Spacebars kit, tweaked ISO, Tsangan and Numpad kits.

ToDo List:
1. Finalize kits
2. Update quotes from SP / Decide on vendor

Completed:
1. Decide on colors
2. Build a couple layouts
3. Get a price quote from SP
4. With DSA HC Granite & DSA Otaku already available, going with SA profile
5. Sticking with Hiragana/English legends for now
5. Separated keys into kits
6. Renders added

Old revisions:
More

Key Layouts
Note: the colors from these layout samples aren't exact

Sample, with Hiragana/English, non-Icon Mods:

Sample Hiragana/English, Icon mods:

Sample Katakana alphas:

Sample, with Katakana letters:

Sample, with English letters:

Reddit design thread - https://www.reddit.com/r/keycapdesigners/comments/5c2g15/feedback_dsa_kabuto/

Special thanks to Oblotzky for the renders!
Thanks for looking!

Bonus pic - Keypress Keybuto
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 June 2017, 17:15:30 by Arallu »

Offline LDobler

Re: [IC] Kabuto (D)SA
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 13:10:26 »
I really like this design! I would like it in DSA of GMK!  :thumb:

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 13:15:27 »
I'm not even big on Japanese culture but this is wonderful. I much prefer DSA to SA and I think it'd fit the theme better than GMK, though I'd not say no to it then either.

Offline zslane

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 13:18:32 »
The only thing limiting your design if you go with dyesub PBT SA is the fact that SP currently only has dyesub setup boards for R3 at the moment. There's no reason you can't have an ISO kit or a kit for alternate layouts.

Offline Arallu

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 13:44:51 »
The only thing limiting your design if you go with dyesub PBT SA is the fact that SP currently only has dyesub setup boards for R3 at the moment. There's no reason you can't have an ISO kit or a kit for alternate layouts.

Yep, forgot to mention that it would be an all R3 profile. The ISO Enter is what SP doesn't have atm though.
Edit: the other thing with DSA is that I wouldn't want to copy Otaku directly with Katakana in DSA profile, I think if I went DSA I'd stick with the Hiragana letters & English subscript, hence the sample above  :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 January 2017, 13:46:39 by Arallu »

Offline Data

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 13:49:03 »
DSA Hiragana with English subscript is the clear winner for me.

Offline Saiph

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 13:51:40 »
I agree :)

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 19:22:35 »
I agree :)

same here :)

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 21:18:25 »
I'll be the first person to say that while the red Roman letters provide a nice accent, I strongly prefer the kana-only legends.  I can't decide whether I prefer the Hiragana or the Katakana.  Also, this set pretty much requires a keyboard with a function row because you're losing a major component of the colorway without the function row keys.  That's not a criticism, just an observation that it would be a crime not to put those caps on the keyboard.  You can check out the High Contrast Granite set at Pimp My Keyboard for an example of how distinguishable the legends would be on the modifiers.

Offline doooostin

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 21:34:34 »
I prefer the first one, with katakana legends.

Offline thad

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 22:01:25 »
The first one is best

Offline afrokobe

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 22:38:03 »
I like the theme, but I am not sure about the colors together.

Offline LDobler

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 23:47:36 »
I like the version with the english subscripts the best.  :)

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 02:16:33 »
Interested! Really like the Hiragana, wether with latin alpha or not. My 2 cent: the capslock, shift, and alt icon are too tall compared to their width. I vote for using icon mod tho, loving my granite.

Offline losskutleboys

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 02:27:09 »
if this set get popular maybe you can do multi alphas. I'd prefer dsa only because i need a good set of dsa and there are so many sa sets lately   :thumb:
My comfort food is instant ramen

Offline hanya

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 02:31:17 »
Even in Meiji period (1868-1912), Japanese language did not have left to right writting. If you write 11 and 12 in Kansuuji, it should be vertical or right to left. Kansuuji means numbers written in Chinese characters used in Japan.
Maybe "零" for numerical 0 character looks cool.
PFU HHKB JP, Sanwa MA-TB38 trackball

Offline PatchSalts

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 08:21:00 »
Even in Meiji period (1868-1912), Japanese language did not have left to right writting. If you write 11 and 12 in Kansuuji, it should be vertical or right to left. Kansuuji means numbers written in Chinese characters used in Japan.
The only problem is with the people who have the double zero key on the numpad. How do you represent a double zero with 零?

Offline Arallu

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 10:09:35 »
I'll be the first person to say that while the red Roman letters provide a nice accent, I strongly prefer the kana-only legends.  I can't decide whether I prefer the Hiragana or the Katakana.  Also, this set pretty much requires a keyboard with a function row because you're losing a major component of the colorway without the function row keys.  That's not a criticism, just an observation that it would be a crime not to put those caps on the keyboard.  You can check out the High Contrast Granite set at Pimp My Keyboard for an example of how distinguishable the legends would be on the modifiers.

Thanks, yep the HC Granite Icon mods look perfect, I didn't realize it was GQT until just now.
I do have the red ESC, Enter key, & Arrow keys as color accents for non-function row setups, similar to how I've seen some Round 5 SA sets look. Actually, one of my initial designs had a Shinobi blackout kit which was just the dark grey Function Keys/arrows/extra mod keys.

The straight black/tan looks pretty good imo, in a 60% layout (granted this grey isn't accurate, but it's close):

Thanks, I wanted to change that to vertical, but everything I found online shows 11/12 as left-to-right.
I'll update the F11/F12 keys.

Interested! Really like the Hiragana, wether with latin alpha or not. My 2 cent: the capslock, shift, and alt icon are too tall compared to their width. I vote for using icon mod tho, loving my granite.

Yep, they are too tall. I'll update them since my intent was to use some of the icon mods from Granite/Otaku, but I think that might just be how keyboard-layout-editor shows those symbols.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 January 2017, 11:55:46 by Arallu »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 10:29:16 »
My vote would be for Hiragana (or katakana) with no latin. I dislike sublegends overall, though it does look alright in your mockups too so if that's the way it ends up being I'd still be in.

Offline Arallu

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 12:17:22 »
So wow HC Granite is using GQT with Icon mods in DSA. I didn't realize that until today.
I suppose you could pair DSA HC Granite mods with DSA Otaku alphas for a set that almost exact to this.
I'm going to swap to SA R3 PBT dye-sub as the preferred style then, to 1) differentiate from DSA HC Granite & DSA Otaku, & 2) present a set in SA profile with Japanese alphas.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 January 2017, 14:22:14 by Arallu »

Offline Kominyetska

Re: [IC] Kabuto SA
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 12:20:06 »
I'd be in for DSA. Looks awesome!

Edit: and no sublegends! Go all Japanese with no latin lettering.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 January 2017, 12:21:53 by Kominyetska »

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 13:00:26 »
Any chance of a 6u spacebar for novatouched HHKB/Topre compatibility?  Man I really wish these boards just had a 6.25u space, so many sets are a no-go.  :/

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 13:49:40 »
Any chance of a 6u spacebar for novatouched HHKB/Topre compatibility?  Man I really wish these boards just had a 6.25u space, so many sets are a no-go.  :/

Signature Plastics doesn't have a 6u Spacebar mold

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 14:42:57 »
Well that's disappointing but thanks for the info, at least now I'll know what ICs/GBs to instinctively skip over.

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 19:12:33 »

Signature Plastics doesn't have a 6u Spacebar mold
Oblivion is looking like it's going to be a relatively popular SA set. Have you considered working with SP to make one?

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 11:16:43 »
man can you please make something with purple + japanese legends? I would love to make it but ive got my hands tied to some other keyset that should happen but is getting nowhere as of the moment. 

Offline jgodinez302

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 17:17:10 »
I like it, but it's too similar to my DSA otaku to justify spending extra on this :/ But it looks great! It will be a great opportunity for those SA lovers to jump on :)

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 20:26:52 »
im vote Hiragana legends and English :p

Offline rabbitfire

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 20:45:29 »
Like the colorway but not the all R3 profile  :thumb:

Offline Arallu

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 23:50:36 »
Like the colorway but not the all R3 profile  :thumb:

Ya, as a fan of SA profile, the only way to get them made that way would be to pay for the 50+ molds to be made, but with the PBT SA dyesub stuff like Hiragana w/ english subscript can be done.
SP only does that in R3 though but they don't have an ISO enter mold and are currently tooling a 7u spacebar with an unspecified eta.

Offline hanya

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 08:28:31 »
The only problem is with the people who have the double zero key on the numpad. How do you represent a double zero with 零?
"零々" or "零零". I found usage of 零々 in the complete works of Fukuzawa Yukichi published in 1898. 100285 could be written like 十萬零々二百八十. "萬" is old character form of "万"(ten thousand).
PFU HHKB JP, Sanwa MA-TB38 trackball

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 08:51:39 »
I really dig this colorway, SA profile gives me pause but only because I have yet to try SA. I would love to see this in GMK but who knows I may really like SA. I'm in on the Godspeed SA GB so I'll know soon enough if SA is for me or not. Although I went with the more sculpted 1-1-2-3-4-3 layout with Godspeed which will not make for the best comparison to your all R3 set. Either way I'll admit my interest is very piqued with this colorway & I will most likely be in if this makes it to GB. Awesome work @Arallu, keep it coming! :thumb:

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 13:35:41 »
Not to go too off-topic but regarding the 6u SA space bar, I just learned that the Danger Zone set actually had a 6u space bar.  Is there a reason SP wouldn't be able to just use their mold from that set for this (and others)?  I don't know anything about keycap manufacturing processes so is it that ABS (Danger Zone) uses different molds than PBT?

I'm probably literally the only person who cares so it probably wouldn't be added to the set even if possible, but I really do like this colorway and have never tried SA so I'm still clinging to hope.

Offline Arallu

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 13:50:28 »
Not to go too off-topic but regarding the 6u SA space bar, I just learned that the Danger Zone set actually had a 6u space bar.  Is there a reason SP wouldn't be able to just use their mold from that set for this (and others)?  I don't know anything about keycap manufacturing processes so is it that ABS (Danger Zone) uses different molds than PBT?

I'm probably literally the only person who cares so it probably wouldn't be added to the set even if possible, but I really do like this colorway and have never tried SA so I'm still clinging to hope.

ABS and PBT are two different plastics. SP has lots of molds for doing doubleshot ABS but molding PBT (a harder plastic than ABS) in SA profile is something new SP is doing so all the tooling is new.
At least thats my brief take on it  :)

Offline hanoipho

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 07 January 2017, 01:20:11 »
Looks great! Interested!

Offline arcsay

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 08 January 2017, 09:33:25 »
I'm totally down for SA, I have too many DSA Sets

Offline Seelen

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 08 January 2017, 17:52:27 »
My vote would be for Hiragana (or katakana) with no latin. I dislike sublegends overall, though it does look alright in your mockups too so if that's the way it ends up being I'd still be in.

I feel the same. My vote is definitely for hiragana, though I don't think the legends look too bad (many JPN keyboards retain romaji legends).

I really like the colors of this set BTW, very nice. The only thing is, I really don't like the idea of katakana. It just feels too..."oh look these are Japanese letters omg so cool gaize" I kind of feel the same way about the numpad using number kanji, though I very much like using it for the function row. That to me is natural and intuitive, though I use a TKL so I don't truly care one way or the other.

I'm really not a fan of icon modifiers though. I understand why you chose then, but it just feels somehow conflicting with the more sophisticated look of the kanji. Maybe it's just the actual symbols chosen, or something, not sure....All I can say is that's the one part of the set that sticks out like a sore thumb to me, the other things I mentioned were minor nitpicks. I don't know what the manufacturing limitations are like but, with dye sub, couldn't you use kanji for a few things?

I would LOVE to see more modifier novelties in Japanese, that would be amazing, so long as it's subtle. I noticed you have Samurai and Shinobi novelties, and samurai DOES fit with the title and theme if your set, but it's the same issue as with katakana..It feels a little cliche and cookie cutter. I guess what I'd love to see are more verbs, like for backspace you could have 消して (meaning erase). Just a quick example off the top of my head, not saying that's amazing. I mean, there is already Otaku DSA, which I believe is still available...With how similar the color scheme is to Otaku, it could use something a little extra to set it apart from Otaku, and all other sets, something that makes it signature and unique, and I kanji is one way to accomplish that.

I'm totally in for SA...I've purchased 2 SA sets recently, both 1-1-2-3-4-3, and both ABS, so it would be really nice to have a PBT set. My current DSA is PBT and I love the sandpaper feel to it...I've never used R3 before though, how is it? I actually quite like DSA for typing on, so I'm not averse to it, just not sure what works well comfort wise. Any thoughts?

I'm very curious as well, out of the people weighing in on the legend, how many of you speak Japanese? I have a sneaking suspicion that many of the people asking for katakana don't...And for those who don't, you might not have been exposed to the various atrocities plastered with katakana.

It's just been abused far too many times, rather than being "edgy" or "cool", now it's just gauche and feels like it's trying too hard. Just doesn't feel natural.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 January 2017, 18:37:35 by Seelen »

Offline Seelen

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 08 January 2017, 22:10:12 »
Oh, and one more thing, regarding subscript. In part, I don't mind it because that's what standard Japanese legends look like, and because the standard red subscript color matches the theme...But also, it's SO much easier to input using QWERTY until you get used to a kana layout board, and I'm willing to bet that 98% of buyers would be using English at least some of the time as well, which makes the subscript helpful when remembering two separate layouts.

On that topic, a more substantial defense of hiragana beyond the aesthetic...I don't think as fast in katakana, and I certainly don't have the Japanese layout memorized. It's difficult to explain, but because katakana is used more for anglicisms and pseudo-anglicisms, and expressions, you just don't see it used very often outside of advertisements and as a "modifier" looked bold or italics.

Essentially, hiragana IS the kana...When you read Japanese script without kanji, 90% of it is going to be hiragana.

If you don't care about Japanese and you just want katakana for the aesthetic, then at that point you might as well just be slapping random characters on there for all the good they're going to do...And they might look a lot cooler, too! I guess it's a question of whether this is a Japanese keyset, or a keyset with a samurai theme that has a bunch of Japanese things in it. I'm really really hoping for the former, as it's something I haven't really seen around here, and is a lot more subtle.

Okay, here's the best way I can explain it, and other Japanese speakers know exactly what I'm talking about...Half the time you see kanji in a movie or on clothing, it's either just gibberish, or its plucked from some stockart...Katakana has that same feel to it.

Maybe there are Japanese speakers who want katakana, I don't know...I do know that it isn't me, and it certainly isn't subtle.

Offline Arallu

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 08 January 2017, 23:15:02 »
I get where you're coming from, and I did originally look at JIS keyboards for reference, feeling that a more practical and approachable keyset (with samurai theme) was where I started from and most existing Japanese sets were english with hiragana subscript. Looking at Otaku though, the Katakana seems much more popular but you're right, it's more of a keyset with japanese symbols on it, which is perfect for what it is.
An all SA R3 set is a non-sculpted set, where most SA sets come sculpted like 1-1-2-3-4-3 or something this would be all 3-3-3-3-3-3 if that helps.
I do like the idea of the symbol mods, and i went with the kanji for Escape for the Esc key.
I'll have to think about different symbols or kanji though, since the symbols I used are the unicode versions for the most part - http://xahlee.info/comp/unicode_computing_symbols.html.

Thanks for the feedback!
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 January 2017, 10:43:20 by Arallu »

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 02:43:31 »
I agree with what Seelen said. Except for the icon mod :p for me the icon just look more suitable than text but of course, using kanji as the text bring it to another level which I think will look great too. Point is, don't mix the Hiragana with Latin-text-modifiers.

Another suggestion regarding colors. The red on the F row is amazing, adding a nice simple touch to the overall scheme but seems like it will lost on keyboards without F row so my take is: how about red numrow? If you think it will destroy the overall composition, just add it as separate child kit and maybe with more novelties icon (I'm thinking about old Yen coin and make it like dice face–2 coins for number 2) like Carbon did. This way the variation will be richer and most importantly, the overall ambience can be applied on smaller keyboards.

Offline DRAZAH

• Hype-S
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 10:08:47 »
My favorite color scheme BY FAR. Great work on this and looking forward to updates.

Offline Arallu

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 11:47:18 »
I agree with what Seelen said. Except for the icon mod :p for me the icon just look more suitable than text but of course, using kanji as the text bring it to another level which I think will look great too. Point is, don't mix the Hiragana with Latin-text-modifiers.

Another suggestion regarding colors. The red on the F row is amazing, adding a nice simple touch to the overall scheme but seems like it will lost on keyboards without F row so my take is: how about red numrow? If you think it will destroy the overall composition, just add it as separate child kit and maybe with more novelties icon (I'm thinking about old Yen coin and make it like dice face–2 coins for number 2) like Carbon did. This way the variation will be richer and most importantly, the overall ambience can be applied on smaller keyboards.

I suppose you could always use the F-row 1-12 as your number row, being symbols like they are it's almost interchangeable (well - and + would be your 11/12).
I can add a red spacebar, that way with there are red accented Esc, enter, space bar, and even arrow keys on layouts smaller than TKL.

More
As for the numbers, how's something like this?
Taking an example from the Hanafuda Card game (no Koi-Koi jokes ;)) which uses months/flowers for 1-12 (maybe 1-12 is better on the F-row instead of numpad), and 'empty' for zero and 'nothing' for double-zero:
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 January 2017, 11:56:57 by Arallu »

Offline aikilink

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 14:46:49 »
I like it! Would definitely be in for a set of just the kana, with no romanji! :)

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 23:09:35 »
any ideas on release date and GB go live? Ill grab 2-3 sets for sure thanks
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 January 2017, 23:46:47 by soclose1993 »

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 01:11:09 »
oh yes! PBT SA... that I can live with very well... make it happen! (I usually prefer DSA, but for this set, SA is perfect, especially in PBT)

how the GB gonna be done? (Massdrop, or other?)

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 01:30:01 »
Is there any reason the numeric keypad keycaps can't have Arabic digits on them like usual? Japanese keyboards have them, and there would be no question about the appropriate legends for the "0" and "00" keycaps.

Offline Arallu

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 11:13:18 »
oh yes! PBT SA... that I can live with very well... make it happen! (I usually prefer DSA, but for this set, SA is perfect, especially in PBT)

how the GB gonna be done? (Massdrop, or other?)

I was hoping if there's enough interest to have PMK run it as one of their 'sets of the month', since it's their new PBT SA process, but if not I'll look at other options.

Is there any reason the numeric keypad keycaps can't have Arabic digits on them like usual? Japanese keyboards have them, and there would be no question about the appropriate legends for the "0" and "00" keycaps.

Ya, I agree. I swapped the numpad back to Arabic, the F-row will still be in Kanji.

Offline Arallu

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 14:34:10 »

Aww, what about Latin on the Shift and Tab? After seeing Realforce HiPro keys - https://imgur.com/YWsM3YQ they look like they'd fit well.
Also, I want to try and keep the key count low for decent pricing.

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 15:44:47 »

Aww, what about Latin on the Shift and Tab? After seeing Realforce HiPro keys - https://imgur.com/YWsM3YQ they look like they'd fit well.
Also, I want to try and keep the key count low for decent pricing.
Perhaps all the legends of this set can be patterned after those of HiPro keycaps?

Offline Arallu

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 16:52:44 »
I don't know about all, I do like the unicode symbols and some keys don't have the real estate for text and a symbol.
I do think I'll add a 1u 半/全 key to the novelties though

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 21:52:20 »
I don't know about all, I do like the unicode symbols and some keys don't have the real estate for text and a symbol.
I do think I'll add a 1u 半/全 key to the novelties though
Please keep us updated if any news arise, really good looking set.....def will join GB

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 01:25:54 »

I suppose you could always use the F-row 1-12 as your number row, being symbols like they are it's almost interchangeable (well - and + would be your 11/12).
I can add a red spacebar, that way with there are red accented Esc, enter, space bar, and even arrow keys on layouts smaller than TKL.
Show Image

More
As for the numbers, how's something like this?
Taking an example from the Hanafuda Card game (no Koi-Koi jokes ;)) which uses months/flowers for 1-12 (maybe 1-12 is better on the F-row instead of numpad), and 'empty' for zero and 'nothing' for double-zero:
Show Image

Damn right the F-Row! Why I miss that jeez.. Okay so all good now, just waiting on the modifiers decision. I have some experience in graphic design so don't hesitate if you need any help :)

Offline Arallu

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 11:35:51 »
Damn right the F-Row! Why I miss that jeez.. Okay so all good now, just waiting on the modifiers decision. I have some experience in graphic design so don't hesitate if you need any help :)

So, I saw the HiPro keys and liked the look of the Tab/Shift.
I think I'm going to stick with the unicode symbol mods with text on the Tab/Shift as the current mock up in the original post shows.

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 12:00:10 »

So, I saw the HiPro keys and liked the look of the Tab/Shift.
I think I'm going to stick with the unicode symbol mods with text on the Tab/Shift as the current mock up in the original post shows.
I think it's best if you used icons only, or alternatively the legends of HiPro keycaps. I find this approach a little, well, inconsistent.

Offline Arallu

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 12:14:48 »
Gotcha, I'll leave it as the symbol icons. I should just trust my initial intuition lol.

Offline Seelen

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 13:17:11 »
Yeah, I saw the escape kanji, definitely a good start. .I wonder though if that woukd be too literal though..technically, yes, it does mean escape...But it's escape as in, to run away, to get away, to leave. Is that the same as what we want?

There's also 窮まる、きわまる (kiwamaru), which means to terminate, to be at an end, to reach an extreme. Even that might not be perfect, but it feels a little more in line with the underlying function of the escape button. I will pull out a kanji dictionary later today and poke around a little in case I find anything.

For reference, if you run away from a battle in Final Fantasy, it uses 逃げる.

Just an idea...I'm by no means fully fluent myself, but I'm at ~7-800, so if you don't have anybody fluent or you want ideas for kanji, I'm always willing to help ( either way you'll probably see me in here *****ing and critiquing every step of the way ^_-)

I hope you don't mind, I'm just trying to make sure this turns out to be the very best set it can be. My ideas aren't necessarily gospel and they're simply my opinion, but they are well thought out and I do at least try to not to say something unless I feel I can at least add a valid suggestion.

Edit: okay, so I'm not in love with the icon mods, because they look too similar to Mac icons, but I most definitely agree that mixing English text with hiragana would not be a good idea. I just can't put my finger on it Exactly, those icons in particular just look very...Western? They are so rounded out, and kanji is the opposite. I guess it's the way kanji has a lot of straight and sharp lines, where the icons are rounded and abstract, as if it's missing pieces of the icon.

Is that the only "icon" style modifier pictograph set out there? Or are there other popular ones? I've never seen another set before, but I figured if there are others already made, it would at least give you more options with mock-ups.

I just worry the two styles will conflict...Since kanji are symbols just like the icons are, I feel like it makes it harder to match them up.

One last thing, that red spacebar you added in there before is very very sexy, I was thinking the set needed just a TOUCH more red and that might be all it needed! Love the F row red too
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 January 2017, 13:26:47 by Seelen »

Offline Arallu

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 13:48:31 »
The space available on it is why I went with a single kanji.
I saw the others but they dont fit right and I didn't care for the unicode Esc symbol.
And I do appreciate all the feedback! Thanks  :)
There are some other unicode symbols but not many http://xahlee.info/comp/unicode_computing_symbols.html
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 January 2017, 13:51:48 by Arallu »

Offline Seelen

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 14:25:42 »
Arallu, that is a single kanji...I was just using the verb form. Can I ask, and I'm not trying to be rude, I just want to know how to phrase my recommendations: do you speak Japanese? If not, then I will change the way that I present my examples.

窮 That would be the example. Obviously you wouldn't fit multiple characters on a single 1u key...but you take the root of the word, you don't use a the ichidan verb form... same way the one you have now is not 逃, its actually 逃げる in the verb form, nigeru. Both are shortened to use the kanji only.

Let me further explain my reasoning from before. When you're translating something, you don't want to translate the actual word used, you want to translate the function, and the intention of the word. Take my early example, the backspace key. I used 消える. That doesn't actually mean backspace...it means "to vanish, to disappear". That's because we're translating the function and the meaning. If you were to translate the word itself, you'd be left with 後ろ間, which literally means "moving backward" and "space/interval". Or how about "Enter" key? You wouldn't use 入口, even though it means "entrance" or "entry", you'd use something like 決める/決定 because it means "decide, determine, select (the second kanji 決定 is great because it means decision/determination and uses the kanji from select/choose)

See what I mean now? You translate the underlying meaning and function rather than the superficial words used on top, as expressions and actual usage varies, but the meanings underneath remains the same. My boyfriend is a linguist ^_-

Again it boils down to that same question...is this a keyset for Japanese enthusiasts, or a keyset that is just using a japanese theme? The way I see it, if you do it right, the former IS the latter, and lends a far greater sense of authenticity.

Okay, I thought of the perfect example, as relates to katakana, and kanji, and meaning...this keyset idea is freaking amazing, and if it's done right, it's going to go down as one of the best sets in years......but if you're going to use kanji, you elevate the risks. If you get any of the meanings wrong, this is going to end up being the "ignorant college kid gets a kanji tattoo" of keysets. You have to ask yourself, when this keyset is finished and a japanese speaker looks at the keyset, and they going to sigh and shake their head, or are they going to say "holy freakin crap thats amazing"

I promise, I'm not saying things just to say it...逃 means to flee or evade, it really doesn't fit. That doesn't mean you have to use my example, and that was just something I came up with quickly (though it definitely makes more sense than nigeru)...I truly only care about you nailing this set, because then *I* get to own it.

Again, I offer my services for any keys you're considering making into kanji...if that doesn't come in the form of actual suggestions, you at least know that anything you put up here I will evaluate for it's accuracy and let you know what it means. This is just exciting to me, because the use of dyesub means this is one of the rare SA sets you actually CAN use kanji on modifiers, and as said before, would truly elevate it to that next level*

*IF you decided to do modifiers in japanese, I would highly recommend you use kanji rather than hiragana, to give better contrast with the alphanumerics and to give it better meaning, like my 決定 example instead of 決める
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 January 2017, 14:54:06 by Seelen »

Offline Arallu

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 15:22:20 »
No, I don't speak or read Japanese, strictly an enthusiast using Google translate/searches and this: https://www.branah.com/japanese for the legends.
I can swap the mods back to normal Latin - Shift, Ctrl, Alt, Esc, etc. but I felt the best compromise were unicode symbols, and as I was taking inspiration from DSA Granite I used those.
I'm not sure if having all the modifiers in Japanese would still keep the approachable aspect that the symbol mods have.
What would you propose for Ctrl, Alt, Shift, Tab, Esc, Enter? Also, it would look wierd if the PgUp/PgDn/Ins/Del cluster was still symbols too, so they'd need to be changed perhaps.
Obviously the only other kanji are in the novelties, so would you feel better if swapped Esc to a symbol and left the mods as unicode symbols?
Funny though, 窮 = pitiful in google translate heh.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 January 2017, 15:26:58 by Arallu »

Offline Seelen

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 15:45:43 »
Okay, in that case, I will be a little more explanatory with my responses. First off, no more google translate. Here's a really easy-to-use site that's in english (at least, the site itself is...you need to know hiragana for the words, but)

http://jisho.org/

http://jisho.org/search/kiwamaru

Again, kiwamaru was what I came up with in my head in literally like 15 seconds. I have a ton of dictionaries around, let me pop a few open and look into it tonight. My boyfriend also knows even more Japanese than I do, so I will brainstorm with him.

I can't guarantee that the japanese mods would work vs the unicode symbols, but I figure it's at least worth a shot...I wouldn't necessarily say all of them though. Certain ones, like page up and page down, may or may not work...if you were to do kanji for those, I would say a simply 上 for page up, and 下 for page down...they mean up and down, respectively and could look cool when placed next to one another:

Anyways, I'm just throwing a bunch of **** out there to see if anything sticks. Let me dig a little bit, see what I can come up with and get back to you later this weekend. I figure the first step is just to come up with kanji that WOULD fit for each position, then post them here so you can figure out what DOES work in those positions. :)

Offline Arallu

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 16:26:46 »
What about 'cancel' for Esc. Which would be more appropriate - 解  消  or 除

Offline Seelen

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 21:40:22 »
None of those are really appropriate...out of the 3, only the third is even close in meaning or usage. I fell asleep after I typed that last response, but I will definitely be looking for a bunch for you.

Oh, and, this does open up more "novelties" options, because instead of the "super" modifier, you can use 超 which mean "chou" and is used in Japan as super, like, the game super ghouls and ghosts was choumakaimura...so it's a very "cool" way to say super.

The others would likely be harder, but if you did a kanji for super, it would definitely be that. The only other choice would be katakana スーパー and thats just silly.

I will just come up with a list of kanji for each modifier position, or a couple of kanji. There are definitely cases where multiple kanji will work and you can choose the most aesthetically appealing.

The other option is, from a novelties point of view, you could pick an actual phrase or expression to use for certain larger keys, but unfortunately I don't see that working because nothing really goes with the theme...some of the things I'm talking about are ideas I've had for a dream keyset that will never get made because not enough people will speak japanese or care haha, so I'm just presenting you with the best ideas from that to see if anything would work well in yours.

Unfortunately you aren't even going to come close without a legitimate dictionary and some understanding of the language. If you're going to use anything though, use that jisho link I gave you. It has most of the dictionaries I'm using already built into it.

I will be back with a listing of ones that make sense. You should also listen to Hanya, I'm sure he knows way more kanji than myself, so hopefully he speaks up again soon.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 January 2017, 22:07:03 by Seelen »

Offline Arallu

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 22:13:01 »
Ok, 止 looks decent and sort of goes with the numbers on the F-row.

Offline Seelen

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 23:03:53 »
Tomaru means stop...You're getting a little closer, but I feel like it still doesn't encompass the meaning and function fully.

What I recommend is, make a list of what the key in question Actually does....So, ESC can: terminate, close, cancel.

I suppose 解 you chose before sort of fits, as can mean cancel...But kanji generally have more than one meaning....They usually have 4-5 possible things that they can be applied to, so it's difficult to choose a kanji unless you know all of the meanings. Kind of like your original escape design, yes it means escape but the other meanings centre around running away, so it changes the kanjis core meaning.

A lot of these kanji are meant to be used in compound words or as verbs, so if you're going to use a single kanji, it needs to be important that it reflects the core meaning of the character.

I mean, the escape key is special though...That's a common spot for a novelty, so you can really put anything meaningful there if you wanted to...But it's difficult to make meaningful kanji for a set that is based on such an abstract concept. With samurai, there is 侍、 and 忍者、忍び which means samurai, ninja, shinobi respectively...Then you run into another problem, which is that the theme needs to be substantial enough to support such novelties.

Somebody said it before, that almost every successful SA set is based on a tangible piece of pop culture, and it's easy to see why. Anything lesseans that you struggle greatly to come up with more than a couple of novelties.

Edit: oh, I see you're already using shinobi and samurai elsewhere for mods...

It's not a very pretty kanji, very basic, but 止 does at least mean "to stop, to halt, to cease, to resign". 終止 Shuushi means stop resign halt.. there's always 終 which means end, finish, and is a very common kanji and firstyear would know. It's the one you might see at the end of a Japanese movie instead of "the end".

It's simple, but it works. The first example of 窮まる I gave you doesn't really work because the kanji itself doesn't quite mean the same as the verb form; the kanji itself means destitute etc.

Anyways, the choice is yours, just wanted to make sure you are informed of the options since nigeru didn't really fit.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 January 2017, 23:18:38 by Seelen »

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 23:30:59 »
I believe we are running into the exact same issue as we did with the legends of the numeric keypad keycaps. There really is no precedent, and we are not exactly qualified to set one. Personally I think the easiest way out would be to just copy the legends on HiPro keycaps. That would also allow the set have the most utility for both Japanese speakers and non-Japanese speakers.

Offline Arallu

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 00:15:25 »
I updated Esc to a kamon symbol, which seems to fit nicely instead of using kanji or unicode.

Offline Seelen

« Reply #66 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 00:46:49 »
I believe we are running into the exact same issue as we did with the legends of the numeric keypad keycaps. There really is no precedent, and we are not exactly qualified to set one. Personally I think the easiest way out would be to just copy the legends on HiPro keycaps. That would also allow the set have the most utility for both Japanese speakers and non-Japanese speakers.

I agree there's no precedent, but I disagree that we are unqualified to set one. I consider myself to be quite good with these sorts of things, and I also have 6+ years experience studying Japanese.

Standards rarely start out as standards...They start out as experiments, and that's all I was suggesting.

There will come a time when I decide to design a keyset, and I may choose Kanji for certain novelties...I may not set a new standard, but you can be damned sure it will work.

Now, for a bunch of people trying to design a keyset who don't speak the language, yes, it's a little silly to think that a standard will be born from it.

I do wonder why even bother making a Japanese keyset at that point though, because the alphabet doesn't even correspond 1:1 to the English keycap. If you aren't planning to try to learn the Japanese layout, there's little point in using it.

I guess it's the American equivalent of when you see Japanese commercials like "Let's driving yes okay". If all you want is a bunch of random characters, Otaku accomplished that...But it did so in a gauche fashion, using cliched characters and a stereotyped name (NOBODY into anime or Japanese culture in the West Actually calls themselves an Otaku... Calling yourself an Otaku is like calling yourself a goth, it's just another way of saying poser lol)

I was hoping this keyset, with it's similar theme and colors, was attempting to remedy the mistakes of the original Otaku set.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 04:04:15 »
Otaku means blank in keyboard hobby. DSA Otaku is playing on that term because it quite fit with the use of Japanese letters because people who use blanks can change it with more graphic one, in this case, Hiragana/Katakana.

But yes I agree it was not that mature execution in the end.

Offline Seelen

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 05:12:23 »
Yeah, I've seen Otaku boards with sideprint or no print, I jistade the assumption that DSA Otaku was referring to the kana. Makes sense if they named it the other way.

Offline Arallu

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 16:52:42 »
Realforce HiPro homage

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 03:16:12 »
Realforce HiPro homage
Show Image

This gave me a boner.......... Almost came :)) cant wait for this to drop for GB

Offline Arallu

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 16:02:41 »
Updated OP with key kits, and text mods. Let me know what you think!
Also, renders in progress!

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 21:28:02 »
I think using x instead of * for 'times' in numpad is more fitting since you use ÷ instead of /
Look at GMK numpad or DSA Granite for reference.

Since it's in SA you will add more kit right? I mean Ortho of course :D And I suggest using full icon for Ortho kit.

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 21:32:37 »
I think using x instead of * for 'times' in numpad is more fitting since you use ÷ instead of /

Since it's in SA you will add more kit right? I mean Ortho of course :D And I suggest using full icon for Ortho kit.
Arallu is taking inspiration from HiPro keycaps.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 22:00:32 »

Arallu is taking inspiration from HiPro keycaps.

I know, but this is a set which legends is built from scratch so if we can improve the HiPro design, why not? There's no point in designing in the first place if all we do is replicating the already available ones ;)

Offline Sefreyt

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 12:23:38 »
This set is amazing my wife will hate me if it drops...

Offline Arallu

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 13:13:50 »
Renders updated. I did change the * to an X on the numpad  :)

Offline megaforce

Re: [IC] Kabuto SA - Renders Added 1-25-17
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 14:05:42 »
My fingers say no but my weeb says yes.
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 12:59:44 »
Yes.

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 13:02:31 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 January 2017, 13:07:09 by redbanshee »

Offline Seelen

« Reply #80 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 21:15:13 »
Seeing the render makes me reslize, that circular escape key design is ugly and really doesn't fit with the set.

I'm aware you aren't up to the task of selecting kanji to use for this set, but if you're going to make the function row read 1-12 in kanji, and the escape key is part of that red stripe, why don't you make the escape key the kanji for zero? 零, It's a really cool looking kanji anyways, and it would fit so much better than a random ass circle.

To be honest, I'm more than a little disappointed that you passed up a chance to familiarize yourself more with kanji and bring this set to the next level. I'll admit the render does look pretty nice, but with this set being dyesub, the lack of originality in areas like that are what will ultimately stop me from dropping, what, $140+ for it? I am obviously just one person; you will have plenty of other people lining up to buy this set regardless of WHAT kanji you stick in it...But if the people you haven't impressed are the people who actually speak the language you're using, then the Japanese in this set is more gimmick than design feature and theme...which, as I said, that's what you seem to have set out to do and that's okay...But it's not great.

God is in the details, never forget that!

Offline Seelen

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 22:25:16 »
Oh, and I went and looked up DSA Otaku, just so I could compare...Take a look. You have honestly just taken Otaku, given it a stripe, and made the wait time a year:

I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing much of a difference. Even the F row kanji are the same, Otaku just did a weird version of it. I guess I'm just missing the point, the heart and soul of this set...Maybe it's "just not for me"...But the reason I take the time to say all this isn't just to dump on your set, it's because if a custom keyset with Japanese legends "isn't made for" a keyboard enthusiast who speaks Japanese, then who IS it made for?

I understand you may take this as harsh criticism, and perhaps it is, but if you want to sell hundreds of people on this keyset, you need to prove that it's not only sufficiently different than Otaku, but that it's inherently original and patently better to make up for the enormous wait time on SA sets... Because the hurdle with SA is making a set sufficiently original and extraordinary enough for people to pay hundreds of dollars for it half a year before they receive it....But you're trapped now ..You can't switch to DSA, because then there would be almost zero improvements. At that point you might as well be releasing an F row novelties pack to spruce up the kanji in Otaku. Hell, you're even using R3 layout, which gives it the same uniform look as Otaku.

Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe hundreds of people love this set, and maybe it doesn't matter what I think...But being that I fall DEAD center of the target audience, I felt my critique was warranted. My recommendation, same as before, is to make this set sufficiently different and original...You're using dyesub, you can do whatever you want for the legends, yet you're choosing the EXACT icons used in Otaku? Where's the originality? Look at Semiotic...You can do some crazy things with dyesub; that's the whole point of using dyesub instead of doubleshot!
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 January 2017, 22:27:02 by Seelen »

Offline zslane

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 23:36:48 »
The limiting factor in fully sculptured SA in PBT plastic has nothing to do with molds. SP already has all the necessary molds for SA; the type of plastic injected into them doesn't matter.

The reason they can't yet dye-sub onto the other profiles is because they don't yet have the necessary assembly boards which orient those keycaps at the correct angles to allow the sublimation printing to be projected straight down onto the keycap surfaces properly. But they are working on them. We just gotta be patient.

BTW, I love the colors.  :thumb:

Offline Seelen

« Reply #83 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 23:59:34 »
Sure, I can understand the limits to it...I only brought up the R3 profile because it brings it one step closer to Otaku...So we have a set using very similar colors, a very similar profile, with exactly the same icons.

My argument is that if you're creating a whole new set, it requires enough originality for a few hundred people to want to buy it... Especially considering Otaku is still available, is it not?

With how similar the two are, a set like this has to have a "soul", a raison d'etre, if you will. I mean, the fact is, going dyesub for this set opens up many possibilities, and this set isnt taking full advantage. If the theme is going to be Japanese and kanji (and let's be honest, that's the real theme, other than a single modifier that uses the kanji for Samurai, which you wouldn't know unless you knew...You got it, Japanese), then at least take advantage with cool kanji, or interesting modifiers legends/icons, novelties...Etc etc.

And my last point is, since the above isn't happening, then the final reason for a set like this is to make Otaku 2.0...But 2.0 means fixing the mistakes of the original, improving upon the design. That just isn't the case either.

Like I said, maybe it just isn't for me and there are people who want it...But I do think it's a bit gimmicky and reminds me of when you see random kanji in American TV shows that are completely meaningless.

I guess it's too much to hope for that a Japanese layout keyset actually be created with those interested in the language in mind. Imagine if Godspeed SA had a bunch of novelties that said ROCKETS, SPACE, instead of the subtleties that went into it. This set barely even has novelties, so even that's not an apt comparison. This is a Japanese layout set for no reason other than it looks different than a normal keyset. It's a cheap shortcut and rather than bringing legit originality, for a speaker of the language, it's simply another font, if that makes sense. Japanese alphas are not a focus point to me, that is just a necessity, the same way having the alphabet is a general necessity for a standard keyset. I don't consider it a novelty in and of itself.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 January 2017, 00:07:32 by Seelen »

Offline Arallu

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 00:54:23 »
No worries. I think I've stated a few times that yes, I'd like the set to be approachable and having symbol icons is even too far in some people's book let alone kanji mods.
The mod icons are unicode standards unicode standards so saying its copying another set is like saying don't put "shift" on a shift key because other sets use it. Unless you're really asking me to get the creative juices going and deconstruct some symbols ala XDA Canvas, but I don't think that's necessary.
I'd love a sculpted doubleshot set and half debated paying the $2500 to get Katakana molds made, and even those were because Otaku Katakana was way more popular than Hiragana. So, yep to differntiate from dsa Otaku, and partly to hope to get picked as a set of the month (because I highly doubt you'd see this on massdrop), because the costs have risen, I went with dyesub SA.
Also, dyesub SA wait time is not a year, doubleshot SA is.  And SA uniform R3 feels different than DSA, I'd hope some appreciate SA enough that sets like 1976, Danger Zone, and Nuclear Data are in SA R3 vs. DSA.
And as far as a Japanese keysets go, these seem pretty popular, but they're topre!

Also, the random ass cirlce is the Shimazu symbol just like the win key is the Takeda symbol.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 January 2017, 01:23:35 by Arallu »

Offline Seelen

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 09:42:54 »
Well, since the wait time isn't nearly as long, it certainly changes things a bit. I still feel this set is missing that "next level" feeling (that doesn't necessarily have to come from kanji legends). It's just that the colors and the style are both so close to Otaku, this set basically feels like Otaku with slightly thicker keys and a stripe, making that differentiation all the more important.

As for your symbols, that's cool and all, I understand it's a clan symbol, but how many people really know that? Are they a famous clan known for something? Do you get what I mean when I say the soul of the set? It's hard to put to words, but it's a cohesive theme that pulls the set together. Now, of course, every set has a "theme", but I mean it as more than just that. Hopefully you get what I'm saying. For example, you and others were all excited about using Katakana early in the thread, and while Katakana was certainly around back then, it wasn't used even close to the way it is today. It was more of a shorthand, and only used by specific groups of people. This part is just my opinion of course, but it didn't fit with the "soul" of the set.

Also, yes, the keyboard layout you linked is a true Japanese keyboard, with half/full width, conversion, and no conversion keys. There are plenty of good keyset makers doing those (you linked a great one), and a custom set would never hit MOQ for that layout (though maybe combining an extras and 40s set would bridge the gap)

Anyways, my point is that I want a keyset like this as an alternative to the true Japanese layout, since I am going to spend ~80% of my time typing in English. That's what I thought made this set what it was, a keyset for Japanese speakers who want a custom keyset for am American keyboard.

I get that it's not what you we're aiming for now. I will say, and this is probably a bit of a jab at people, that I think it's silly for those buying sets like Otaku who have zero interest in learning the language, or at least the alphabet. It just feels really lame to me to have no idea what the keys on your keyboard mean, which is where my gimmick comment came from.

So I guess part of my criticism is less with the set itself and more with the people buying a set like this without any legit interest in the language. It reminds me of the kids whose understanding of Japanese extends to KAWAII DESUU and not much else

If I thought your set was ****, I wouldn't even bother saying anything. I definitely like it, but unfortunately it looks like I am alone on this board (or in the extreme minority) for the things I want to see in a Japanese keyset

Anyways, my intention was not to rail on you here. I've shared my criticism, so I won't keep drilling on it. I just felt I had knowledge that you may have been interested in, and I hope I have been some help in that regard (like the ESC key).
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 January 2017, 10:09:19 by Seelen »

Offline Arallu

« Reply #86 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 13:19:53 »
Here we go, I'll just call it Black and Tan and throw the red keys into a color pack add-on

« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:40:19 by Arallu »

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 13:29:28 »
Here we go, I'll just call it Black and Tan and throw the red keys into a color pack add-on
Show Image

The red adds so much to the set, why wouldn't you include it in the base? I would argue that everyone wants the red touches without having to pay extra for that little splash or color. Make more red key alternatives available, but don't take away the red Esc and Enter from the base set at least?
I like this second picture for the base set but without the red Shift/Tab, I like the idea of just the esc/enter being the color accent keys without additional add-ons

Offline Arallu

« Reply #88 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 13:37:16 »
The red adds so much to the set, why wouldn't you include it in the base? I would argue that everyone wants the red touches without having to pay extra for that little splash or color. Make more red key alternatives available, but don't take away the red Esc and Enter from the base set at least?
I like this second picture for the base set but without the red Shift/Tab, I like the idea of just the esc/enter being the color accent keys without additional add-ons
Oh I know, I'll have at least the Esc and probably the Enter in the base, just taking pictures. Updated the post above, and going to redo the kits.

Offline muten-roshi

« Reply #89 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 07:13:07 »
This is getting better and better

Gesendet von meinem E5823 mit Tapatalk

Offline H3NT4I

• 気持ちいい
Re: [IC] Kabuto SA (Renders added - To Stripe or Not To Stripe)
« Reply #90 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 10:39:13 »
I really like where this set is going. Looking forward to see the final GB. 

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #91 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 18:43:42 »
Maybe it's just me but I would think the backspace should be labeled 切腹.

Offline swangful

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 18:49:22 »
My inner otaku is very pleased with this set.

Some of the english on the keys is a bit off putting to me though, or perhaps its just the font used. Otherwise, looks great.  :thumb:

Offline Arallu

« Reply #93 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 19:28:53 »
Maybe it's just me but I would think the backspace should be labeled 切腹.
Seppuku?
He approves

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 00:10:38 »
I do not understand everyone's fascination with having the F5-F8 keys be the alternate color, I dislike that look personally. I'm not saying it's bad I just don't understand it or care for it myself. I REALY like the red Fx keys with this set and I'd like that to be the standard base if I had my choice. I think it better achieve the look you were going for.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 07:12:08 »
Agreed, I think the red F-row is much more striking and should be the default. 

Offline swangful

« Reply #96 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 12:59:23 »
Agreed, I think the red F-row is much more striking and should be the default.

+1 red stripe.

Offline hhkbp2

Re: [IC] Kabuto SA (Renders added)
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 04:06:59 »
Classic and Nice. I'm in.

I think it would be cool to add some more symbols like weapons or darts into the novelties kit.

Offline JasonH

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 21:59:08 »
Definitely in here, in this case I like the red stripe vs alternate colors for the f keys
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 February 2017, 07:58:32 by JasonH »

Offline AuDiTH

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 03:07:08 »
Interested! Can't wait to see this gb happen
SSK | AEK64 | TX-CP | HHKB | Acrylic Pearl | Duck Orion V3 | LZ MP | Kyuu Sakura
Currently joined GBs:
GMK British Racing Green
GMK ThinkCaps
SA 8010

Offline CapnHighlands

« Reply #100 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 12:47:32 »
Count me interested - this color combination is to die for.

Offline Kafka

• i like clean things
« Reply #101 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 10:21:05 »
Not a fan of the English sub legends, rather it be only the Japanese. But that's just me.

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #102 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 11:39:58 »
Any updates on the GB release date?

Offline Arallu

« Reply #103 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 16:41:09 »
Nothing yet, thanks for checking in though  :)  Although, from that GRADE IC thread, it looks like SP may have finished 7u spacebar tooling, so I can add that and an ISO enter (albeit blank).

Offline megaforce

« Reply #104 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 02:11:27 »
@Arallu, Anything new to share?
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline Arallu

« Reply #105 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 11:35:16 »
Not really. My last price quotes were pretty high and I'm not sure this would hit a MOQ to make sense.
I was also waiting to see how GRADE does and what it's priced at when PMK launches it, since it is also PBT R3 dyesub.
I think I still need to cut more keys/color options from the kits to help with price, in hopes of hitting an MOQ's of 50 which might still be a tad pricey.
The recent pricing changes from SP have made it challenging and expensive to run a community group buy.  When my TKL quote at MOQ 250 is still 30% higher than Ice Cap's current TKL kit at retail, albeit with a 7 key difference, something is odd.
If it was placed as a set of the month where moq isn't needed, pricing would probably be similar perhaps a little higher to something like IceCap or Industrial or GRADE I would think.
I'm not sure if there's enough interest for an MX compatible uniform R3 rendition of the limited edition Realforce 108UW HiPro JIS keycaps however.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 March 2017, 12:08:47 by Arallu »

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #106 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 17:09:59 »
I really like this design! I would like it in DSA of GMK!  :thumb:

Same here

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #107 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 17:10:47 »
I'm not even big on Japanese culture but this is wonderful. I much prefer DSA to SA and I think it'd fit the theme better than GMK, though I'd not say no to it then either.

I agree!

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #108 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 19:10:31 »
I check this topic everyday to see if there is any new info on this set lol

Offline Vloshko

« Reply #109 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 10:54:27 »
This is exactly what I have been needing to complete a board I made for my friend for his up and coming birthday..... Plus I might as well grab one for the Otaku in me
Keycap Compendium

Discord: Vloshko#1327

Key Cap Wishlist

2019: Configure Optimal Audio Settings

HHKB Pro 2, Model M, Unicorn X Legend, ESPECTRO 96, SaiB CP, E8-V1.

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #110 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 14:12:44 »
Not really. My last price quotes were pretty high and I'm not sure this would hit a MOQ to make sense.
I was also waiting to see how GRADE does and what it's priced at when PMK launches it, since it is also PBT R3 dyesub.
I think I still need to cut more keys/color options from the kits to help with price, in hopes of hitting an MOQ's of 50 which might still be a tad pricey.
The recent pricing changes from SP have made it challenging and expensive to run a community group buy.  When my TKL quote at MOQ 250 is still 30% higher than Ice Cap's current TKL kit at retail, albeit with a 7 key difference, something is odd.
If it was placed as a set of the month where moq isn't needed, pricing would probably be similar perhaps a little higher to something like IceCap or Industrial or GRADE I would think.
I'm not sure if there's enough interest for an MX compatible uniform R3 rendition of the limited edition Realforce 108UW HiPro JIS keycaps however.

There is speculation that there will be another price increase from SP at the beginning of 2018 as they are having troubles for some reason keeping up with current demand for group-buys. You cannot even get on the SA Doubleshot list at this point as they are not booking into 2018 yet and are filled up for 2017 on this profile. It's getting pretty crazy if you ask me.

Offline Arallu

Re: [IC] Kabuto SA - Massdrop Poll Added
« Reply #111 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 19:00:29 »
I put up a quick massdrop poll

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #112 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 20:43:48 »
Voted.

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #113 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 02:00:00 »
Voted i thought you are going to do a GB your self

Offline Eklipses

« Reply #114 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 04:00:20 »
Very interested in this colorway!   :thumb:
Home= Input Club K- type (Zealios 65g), Ducky One 2 Mini (MX Speed Silver), Realforce RGB(Silent)

Work= Ducky Realforce 104U 45g (Silent)

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #115 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 04:52:39 »
this gonna drop on MD then?

Offline midnight2903

« Reply #116 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 07:11:59 »
I need to change my pants...

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #117 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 07:23:25 »
Yet another interesting colorway, oh my poor poor wallet...

Offline zeshon

« Reply #118 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 12:28:26 »
Oh wow! I recently started building something similar to this. I was going to consider looking into a group buy once I got it where I like it, but it looks like you've got it pretty well locked down. Looking forward to this set getting produced!

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #119 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 12:44:08 »
Hey arallu, anything new to share?

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #120 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 02:01:31 »
Any update? Looking forward to it.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #121 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 10:13:19 »
If SP SA is going to be a challenge, you could look into XDA since you were gonna do uniform profile anyway.  Obviously it's not as tall as SA, but it is a bit taller and wider than DSA and more pleasant to type on IMO.

Offline ashwinv11

• give me foog
« Reply #122 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 13:12:17 »
I've heard that Maxkeys now has novelty support, that might be the way to go if you want to keep the sculpted SA profile  :thumb:

Offline xantiema

« Reply #123 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 10:52:41 »
Pretty sweet

Offline Arallu

« Reply #124 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 11:40:48 »
If SP SA is going to be a challenge, you could look into XDA since you were gonna do uniform profile anyway.  Obviously it's not as tall as SA, but it is a bit taller and wider than DSA and more pleasant to type on IMO.

Yep, I'll check into that profile.

I've heard that Maxkeys now has novelty support, that might be the way to go if you want to keep the sculpted SA profile  :thumb:

I don't think I ever mentioned sculpted, I had though about DSA originally.
While a nice thought experiment, mold costs to doubleshot this entire set would still be financially excessive.

Offline Arallu

« Reply #125 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 14:02:55 »
Green inspired

« Last Edit: Tue, 13 June 2017, 16:34:47 by Arallu »

Offline RedSuns

Re: [IC] Kabuto SA - Meditation
« Reply #126 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 04:42:33 »
I like your Kabuto SA - Meditation keyset. I was thinking of making something of similar colors, but a GMK version.

Offline xantiema

« Reply #127 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 12:41:36 »
Green inspired
Show Image

Show Image

The green layout is absolutely gorgeous!!

Could you provide some legends on the ISO enter Key please? Perhaps one of the novelties or so, blank doesn't fit too well

Offline Arallu

« Reply #128 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 13:00:28 »
Green inspired
Show Image

Show Image

The green layout is absolutely gorgeous!!

Could you provide some legends on the ISO enter Key please? Perhaps one of the novelties or so, blank doesn't fit too well

SP can't dyesub an SA profile PBT ISO Enter key last I checked (still watching how SA GRADE turns out too)
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 June 2017, 13:02:09 by Arallu »

Offline Sorgrum

« Reply #129 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 12:09:03 »
Love the set with the alt. colors. Not a big fan of the mixed capitalization on the modifiers, I much prefer all caps modifiers. Also would love text arrows keys ("UP", "DOWN", "LEFT", "RIGHT"). Also possibly a "SUPER" key?

Offline Hazzula

« Reply #130 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 10:13:59 »
I second this :D really like the xda profile

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

« Reply #131 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 20:29:33 »
That green is next level. I would really love to get my hands on this, no matter the profile.
MAAASSSSDDDRROOOPPPPPP!!!!!

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #132 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 23:15:17 »
I like your Kabuto SA - Meditation keyset. I was thinking of making something of similar colors, but a GMK version.
yay :P
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 July 2017, 01:22:43 by BlackInk »

Offline huyanh

« Reply #133 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 02:56:26 »
Interested! Would love to get this for my HHKB JP.

Offline JMD

• All we want is happiness.
    • Mech Keys
« Reply #134 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 13:16:59 »
I like the legends on the alphas :)
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline Geckt

« Reply #135 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 21:58:15 »
Since you're aiming to push for a GB on massdrop.....

Please try something slightly different like having the rows in SA 2-2-3-3-3-3 please, with Katakana legends.

223333 because it mimics SA "FILCO", one of the best looking configuration for rows I felt and Katakana characters are more aggressive shaped.

Sent from my A37f using Tapatalk

Offline RSC

« Reply #136 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 05:15:40 »
Any updates..? Super interested in this set!

Offline piercejenkins

« Reply #137 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 19:32:28 »
Any updates?

Offline yqliang

« Reply #138 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 15:35:52 »
Green inspired
Show Image

Show Image

Digging the green! So it's just an inspiration but not what's offered?
Nightfox Zealios 65g | Input Club K-Type Halo True | CM Masterkeys Pro S MX Brown x Norbauer Case | SA Carbon | SA Hyperfuse | XDA MiTo Godspeed | DSA K Bares Miami Dolch | ePBT WoB
Want: Satisfaction 75 | Space65 | GMK Dot

Offline RSC

« Reply #139 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 12:59:00 »
So is this happening or not..?

Offline Arallu

« Reply #140 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 15:28:48 »
Still meditating :)  I'll look at updating some of the kits in the upcoming weeks

Offline RSC

« Reply #141 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 01:23:09 »
Updates? I really like this set.

Offline axisofadvance

« Reply #142 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 22:23:34 »
The green is pure pornography. Lust at first sight. A definite YES!

Offline tomatoboy

« Reply #143 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 06:33:13 »
I'm here just for the ISO kit some rare alpha legends and modifiers SA profile in PBT dye-sub  :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 December 2017, 06:43:15 by tomatoboy »

Offline tomatoboy

« Reply #144 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 01:30:27 »
Any updates? Can't seem to find any SA ISO keys out there with PBT. Don't mind if its all R3  :p

Offline corygrapher

« Reply #145 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 10:46:03 »
Fascinating. I'm in for a set of SA.

Offline Petch

« Reply #146 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 10:56:44 »
Not really liking the 'eastern' styled Latin characters to be honest

Nothing wrong with a standard font alongside Kana, just look at the Realforce 91U

Edit: Actually, the more I look at them the more normal they seem. Not sure why I thought they were in an eastern-style. They still look a little odd to me but whatever
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 January 2018, 10:59:23 by Petch »

Offline anhthao88

« Reply #147 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 14:29:49 »
I like the color scheme and that it is PBT. However, the biggest drawback to me is the non-sculpted profile... It's going to be a hard choice :(
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 January 2018, 17:10:48 by anhthao88 »

Offline huyanh

« Reply #148 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 22:30:16 »
Any plans for T and N homerow? I'm on Colemak  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 January 2018, 22:35:57 by huyanh »

Offline RSC

« Reply #149 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 05:13:25 »
Please make this happen...

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #150 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 23:00:10 »
Not a fan of the English sub legends, rather it be only the Japanese. But that's just me.
It's not just you  :thumb:

Offline Geass

« Reply #151 on: Wed, 10 January 2018, 14:23:14 »
I have two small questions:
- What's the price gonna be like?
- Any progress on the set regarding the realease?

Offline Paopawdecarabao

« Reply #152 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 20:38:40 »
Please make the green version happen! +1 for this!

Offline RSC

« Reply #153 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 15:48:05 »
Bump!

Offline sozo

« Reply #154 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 19:42:13 »
Definitely interested in this group buy! Hopefully there's an icon modifier pack!

Offline Etherealsound

« Reply #155 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 23:47:57 »
I'm in if this happens. Will there be a green WKL kit?

Offline Solotov

« Reply #156 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 01:48:23 »
Please make this available on GMK too!
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline Chimera

« Reply #157 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 17:27:41 »
Any chance there are still going to be made?

Offline MFahim

« Reply #158 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 06:58:13 »
I'd join if there were was support for a full 109-key japanese keyboard layout.

Offline The_judge_168

« Reply #159 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 00:47:32 »
Ooh cool set, definitely interested especially with green

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #160 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 06:40:34 »
Updates on this?

Offline mtuanvu

« Reply #161 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 07:07:49 »
Cool... Count me in

Offline crusader_alex

« Reply #162 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 12:06:26 »
This looks pretty good,definitely in for one!!! Will it be uniform r3 or sculpted SA?

Offline oumakavoula

« Reply #163 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 12:41:42 »
lovely color scheme !

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #164 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 12:43:32 »
more sa pbt goodness

Offline 1Weeb

• ◕w◕
« Reply #165 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 14:34:00 »
I just found this, it's been over a year so I'm guessing this isn't happening? :(