Author Topic: [IC] GMK Forge  (Read 61911 times)

Offline RyuDragoon

[IC] GMK Forge
« on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 14:34:34 »
I've gone through a couple Red on Black sets and I have gotten fedup with the quality of the sets. So I took it upon myself to design something myself. Lo and behold! GMK Forge has been born.

Here is my sweet KLE that took forever to figure out how to make:

Here are some of the renders I have had made up (Shoutout to ThesisCamper!):

I know that the set is rather minimal and plain. But I don't enjoy these fancy colorful sets and not am not very fond of white/grey when it comes to keycap sets either. I believe that this set should cover almost every single set that is most common. Ideally I want to have this happen so I can put it on my all black RAMA M65-A. If anyone has some constructive criticisms or solid ideas for different novelties please let me know. If this gains popularity I will be working with a certain Artisan to collaborate on getting some limited edition artisans to be given away in the group buy. I have a contact inside Massdrop to make this happen if I can gain some traction/popularity if this helps distill hope for everyone interested.

Edit 4/23/17: I have sent an email to my contact at MassDrop. I have started revisions to the KLE to include some slight modifications requested by the community.

Edit 5/2/17: I have sent the vectors of the novelties to GMK and am having the novelties redone on my renders as they were not licensed images available for selling and reproduction. Remember to follow the proper channels everyone! Thanks to /u/hineybush for doing the original novelty designs.

Edit 5/3/17: Novelties have been updated with the proper licensed images. Still waiting to hear back from GMK and Massdrop.

Edit 5/10/17: I have received my first draft from GMK. I think that it turned out very nice! I am requesting to get one with the Icon Modifiers as many have requested. My current concern is that it will be more orange then it will red and will turn into a Skidata clone instead of the set I want. Here's the draft sent to me by GMK. I just noticed it doesn't have the R3 1.25u "Tab" key. I will request that to be added in the next mock up.

Edit 5/15/17: New second draft from GMK. P3 Looks amazing! This is definitely the color I was going for. I am still inquiring about the R3 1.25u Tab key, potential kits for the inverse colorway for modifiers and other keys, and pricing in general. Still waiting to hear back from MassDrop about our potential workings. I just recently had an idea to maybe have a "gamer" kit that supports the infamous K70 bottom row and the like. Here's the new and improved render from GMK:

Edit 5/18/17: Good news everyone! I have received pricing from GMK(@loud_asian)! Based on the keys from the render above and the 1.25u Tab key [Shoutout to @AlexAtPanc (153 keys in total)] I have been quoted MOQ 150 sets, 104.40€/set (net, EXW, individual sorting and packing in trays is included) and MOQ 250 sets, 94.22€/set (net, EXW, individual sorting and packing in trays is included). Shipping and banking fees are not included in the price of the item. This pricing doesn't include shipping or import fees (will have to look into this since I am US based, I don't know the fees with importing). GMK's current lead time is around 14 weeks after receipt of the purchase order.

Bad news, Massdrop is literally booked solid for the next 6 months and they can only run a couple sets a month. I will be doing my best to get my set ran with them as I think it will provide the best coverage and help push the pricing down significantly. I think this is a good and bad thing. There are a lot of awesome sets being run currently and I think giving people's wallets a break would be a good thing. I just hate having to wait such a long time to even get this thing going.

Edit 5/22/17: New Render completed to show off the accent caps a little bit.

Edit 7/22/17: Some more renders here for you guys! Special thanks to /u/janglad over on Reddit! If you have heard through the grapevine, I am working with KeyClack right now to get this set pushed to GB phase! We are trying to get it out ASAP for you guys so we have it by the end of the year. I am working with GMK now to minmax the pricing and caps included and it seems we are pushing towards the same kits as GMK Terminal.

I also had some custom box art mocked up as well. Still waiting to get official resolution from GMK but this is what I have worked up so far.

Edit 1/30/18:

This is it. The home stretch. I got the final renders setup from GMK and am only waiting for pricing. I have made some small modifications, VIM keys have been corrected and novelties have been moved to 1u size per request.
GMK doesn't support a single spacebar that works as off-center and centered 6u so I will either have to choose one or go with both.

« Last Edit: Wed, 31 January 2018, 15:20:03 by RyuDragoon »

Offline loud_asian

Re: [IC] GMK Forge
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 14:37:29 »
updoot

is there a price at this time?
EM7 | Nunu | Salamander | RF84u | SS AEK64

Offline RyuDragoon

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 14:39:58 »
updoot

is there a price at this time?

No price point yet. Will update OP when more info comes in.

Offline scwoopz

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 14:42:45 »
very nice.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

ortho or shmortho

Offline RyuDragoon

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 14:44:42 »
very nice.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Glad you like it! Be sure to tell your friends and family.

Offline FioraCorp

• AKA ABC
    • My insta
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 14:46:05 »
Those renders are pretty sexy. Good looking set  :thumb:

Offline yaranzo

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 14:49:24 »
This looks awesome! I'm definitely in if this goes to GB.

Offline RyuDragoon

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 14:50:39 »
Those renders are pretty sexy. Good looking set  :thumb:

I can't take any credit for them! All credit goes to ThesisCamper!

This looks awesome! I'm definitely in if this goes to GB.

I am already going to be buying 3 sets if we make it to the GB phase!

Offline neon_tom

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 14:55:48 »
I know that the set is rather minimal and plain.

Blasphemy! A classic look like this always has a place. I'm definitely interested

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 14:57:58 »
R5 bottom row by any chance?
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 14:59:17 »
I've always wanted GMK ragnorock!

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 15:00:41 »
Red and Black! Liking it!

Offline RyuDragoon

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 15:05:12 »
R5 bottom row by any chance?

Check out the GMK Layout again my friend.

I've always wanted GMK ragnorock!

Spread the word and you can get it in cherry profile instead of DCS!

Red and Black! Liking it!

Glad you like it! I hope we get this going!

I know that the set is rather minimal and plain.

Blasphemy! A classic look like this always has a place. I'm definitely interested

Glad you are interested! The classic look is my favorite to be honest!

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 15:21:53 »
I like the name :)

Offline RyuDragoon

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 15:24:19 »
I like the name :)

I was going to go with GMK EdgeLord but that wouldn't sell very well. I was then going to go with GMK Ember but it was taken already. :(

Offline Robotical

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 15:35:23 »
Can't beat black and red as a combo. Would be interesting to see some and black modifiers with orange text.

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 15:38:50 »
... ****. I like this.
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 15:42:53 »
Yes. In.  --- I settled for black blank cherry set because I couldn't get a hold of a red/black set. There is JTK Bred on Originative, but I'd prefer some GMK  :cool:
∴∵∴◇Time TKL--VE.A--F&T 1916--Cajal--Octagon v2◇∴∵∴

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 15:45:21 »
Well yea.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 15:54:41 »
looks good

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 16:01:26 »
fiyah burn! looks sweet

my only criticism is I don't like straight black.. I know you said you don't want greys, but GMK's N9 is pretty close to black without looking like OEM keycaps. Just IMO tho  :thumb:

Offline RyuDragoon

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 16:15:20 »
fiyah burn! looks sweet

my only criticism is I don't like straight black.. I know you said you don't want greys, but GMK's N9 is pretty close to black without looking like OEM keycaps. Just IMO tho  :thumb:

I think it will turn out great.

... ****. I like this.

Me too. I love it infact.

Yes. In.  --- I settled for black blank cherry set because I couldn't get a hold of a red/black set. There is JTK Bred on Originative, but I'd prefer some GMK  :cool:

I feel your pain. Hopefully we shall have our solution soon.

Well yea.
looks good

This means a lot to me. Thank you so much. I was actually really scared that people weren't going to like it because of how simplistic it was and how common red and black is.

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 18:47:01 »
Can I respectfully request the addition of a R3 1.25u "Tab" key? It would assist in covering Minorca, Minivan and Sebright keyboards!

Pretty please with cherries on top!!!

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 19:00:22 »
This means a lot to me. Thank you so much. I was actually really scared that people weren't going to like it because of how simplistic it was and how common red and black is.

I don't think you need to worry, it's simple but less can be more if it's colors that go well together (like with Terminal).  I also like that you sent with black rather than N9 since it gives more contrast and a fair number of recent sets have been using N9. 

My only request would be 6u spacebars.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 April 2017, 19:02:14 by a_ak57 »

Offline RyuDragoon

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 19:41:21 »

I don't think you need to worry, it's simple but less can be more if it's colors that go well together (like with Terminal).  I also like that you sent with black rather than N9 since it gives more contrast and a fair number of recent sets have been using N9. 

This will be in the base set. You can see it in the KLE layout.

Can I respectfully request the addition of a R3 1.25u "Tab" key? It would assist in covering Minorca, Minivan and Sebright keyboards!

I will add this to the layout!

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 19:41:51 »
Why you give me nice options!?  :-[

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 19:53:21 »

I will add this to the layout!

AWWW YUSS!!! THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Offline RyuDragoon

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 20:08:15 »
Why you give me nice options!?  :-[

I don't quite understand the question but thank you for the compliment!

Offline lakomail

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 20:11:50 »
Black and Red? Definitely a go for me! I hope the price is not high :O

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 20:15:52 »

This will be in the base set. You can see it in the KLE layout.

Maybe I'm missing something but I only see the black 6.25u in the main set, a black 7u bar in the extras and red 6.25u and 7u bars in the extras below that.

I also thought of something else, it'd be nice to have a 1u R1 = key for the numpad.  And I think the 1.5u BS/Delete should be text rather than an icon since there aren't any other icon mods.  My personal taste would be Backspace since that's how most use that key, but Delete is fine too.

Offline fublamchu

• ㅋㅋㅋ
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 20:28:58 »
660 support! Looking good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LZ-CE VBlacks
910-CE

Offline RyuDragoon

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 20:38:05 »

Maybe I'm missing something but I only see the black 6.25u in the main set, a black 7u bar in the extras and red 6.25u and 7u bars in the extras below that.

I also thought of something else, it'd be nice to have a 1u R1 = key for the numpad.  And I think the 1.5u BS/Delete should be text rather than an icon since there aren't any other icon mods.  My personal taste would be Backspace since that's how most use that key, but Delete is fine too.

My apologies I misread your post. I will work with GMK on spacebar options. Having 6u and that silly sized spacebar for those split keyboards would be nice. As for the 1.5u backspace it should be text instead of the icon. That was a mistake I made.

660 support! Looking good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you like it! I am putting all my love into the set.

Black and Red? Definitely a go for me! I hope the price is not high :O

I hope so as well. I am trying my best to keep the price affordable for the masses. I think if I go with Massdrop I will get a much nicer price but shipping will take a little longer like normal massdrop things.

Offline Fullcream

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 20:50:53 »
About time! Less childs play toy themed keysets and more of this stuff.
Interested.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 April 2017, 22:28:51 by Fullcream »

Offline RyuDragoon

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 21:24:41 »
About time! Less childs play toy themed keysetsband more of this stuff.
Interested.

My thoughts exactly. I only wish I didn't miss out on the GMK Terminal group buy.

Offline SeedyOne

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 23:33:57 »
Red on black? Interested!

Offline honeynugget

• /u/honeynugget on reddit
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 02:28:41 »
Love it!

Offline mindxthinker

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 03:31:41 »
DO IT!!!

Offline RyuDragoon

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 07:50:07 »
DO IT!!!
Love it!
Red on black? Interested!

Thanks for the expressed interest guys/girls! Hopefully GMK will speed up their communication times.

Offline YH YOON

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 08:16:56 »
i'm in

wanna icon modi :thumb:

Offline RyuDragoon

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 08:24:33 »
i'm in

wanna icon modi :thumb:

Pending communication from GMK. Ideally I want Hybrids but I think Icon modis will look clean.

Offline hervuli

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 08:53:48 »
Would definitely be in for this, I'm using JTK's red on black set right now but GMK would be a welcome upgrade. The simplicity means good flexibility to potentially combine with other sets as well.
JD40v2 MX Grey | HHKB BKE Heavy | E6-V2 78g Tealios | ZealX60 72g MX Zilent | TGR 910 RE 78g MX Zilent | Singa Vintage MX Black | Octagon V2 MX Grey | Orion V2 MX Clear | Novatouch BKE Extreme

Offline RyuDragoon

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 09:08:52 »
Would definitely be in for this, I'm using JTK's red on black set right now but GMK would be a welcome upgrade. The simplicity means good flexibility to potentially combine with other sets as well.

Plus you won't have as harsh bleed through and your legends won't be crooked!

Offline RyuDragoon

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 13:19:57 »
go back to discord you ****ty set-designing neckbeard w33b :thinking:

Glad you like the set!
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 April 2017, 13:21:47 by RyuDragoon »

Offline midnight2903

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 13:38:08 »

Glad you like the set!

cucked

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 13:40:14 »

Glad you like the set!

That actually gives me the idea to mess around with KLE for a Saber themed set (blue, yellow and silver).

Offline RyuDragoon

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 13:42:18 »

Glad you like the set!

cucked

Feelsbadman.jpg

Looks like the set has garnered a lot of attention. Hopefully GMK gets back to me in a timely fashion and we can try to get this ball rolling.

Glad you like the set!

That actually gives me the idea to mess around with KLE for a Saber themed set (blue, yellow and silver).

I was actually planning on doing something like that after this either fails or takes off! If you wanted to collaborate on it I would be totally down. Maybe get a commission for a printed Saber artisan.

Offline midnight2903

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 13:46:06 »

Glad you like the set!

cucked

Feelsbadman.jpg

Looks like the set has garnered a lot of attention. Hopefully GMK gets back to me in a timely fashion and we can try to get this ball rolling.

Glad you like the set!

I was actually planning on doing something like that after this either fails or takes off! If you wanted to collaborate on it I would be totally down. Maybe get a commission for a printed Saber artisan.

Include a Saber dakimura like a w33b

Offline RyuDragoon

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 13:48:01 »

Maybe...
Was midnight1 through 2902 taken? If so, where are they at?

Offline midnight2903

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 14:02:33 »

Maybe...
Was midnight1 through 2902 taken? If so, where are they at?

i just got meme'd

Offline ashwinv11

• give me foog
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 14:21:28 »
I'm in!