Author Topic: [IC] CA66 Custom Keyboard (1/5 updated, GB sub form opened)  (Read 78539 times)

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
Re: [IC] CA66 Custom Keyboard
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 01:16:54 »
this is tempting. shame there is no 7u option, then i would have no choice. Can't decide how i feel about the mod lining up with z instead of an offset.

I'm a petty guy, but jesussssssssssss.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 01:18:20 »
this is tempting. shame there is no 7u option, then i would have no choice. Can't decide how i feel about the mod lining up with z instead of an offset.

yeah that's wild
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 01:20:37 »

yeah that's wild

Why? I like it and may still buy it. But the fact that the left side is aligned and the right side isn’t screws with my brain. Are we not allowed to have differing opinions? It’s not like I was ****ting on the design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 04:28:36 »
Will there be both a WKL and badged version of the case then?

I don't think so. It's hard to put the badge in a WKL top and doesn't look awkward.
I had tried it myself before and it looked strange anyway.

I will confirm with them about 7u spacebar supporting. By looking the layout pic it is possible.

yeah that's wild

Peace. ;D
We are just all KB lovers who want to buy ideal keyboards for ourselves. :thumb:

Offline Evilocity

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 10:53:11 »
Is there any R1 for sale? :P

Offline giHefca

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 13:55:57 »
In purple to fit with GMK Plum :love:

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 15:33:55 »

learn chinese and you can find one
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Evilocity

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 17:00:15 »

Thank goodness for Google translate, albeit very inaccurate.
Can you point me to the right direction? The one in Taobao is just a "memento".

Offline Trente

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 21:51:32 »
Really like this design ! I had noticed this board when I surfed on Taobao, but unfortunately the group buy for R1 just ended at that time, so really looking forward to an Geekhack GB. One thing I would really love to see is the support of alps switch if possible, even if just for switch plate since there is still option for hand wiring. Also maybe adding some cool looking color, like those retro green/blue color and red on fridges, or classic ivory color (though these might not be possible with anodize but only spray color)

Offline Retox

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 01:36:57 »
Yes Please! Very Interested!
QFR with ergo clears

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 08:55:05 »

Yeah you need to learn Mandarin first. :eek:
I haven't seen any one want to sell it so far.

In purple to fit with GMK Plum :love:

I'm glad you love that purple too. ;D
I asked Yock to do customize it for me, so it's one and only in R1.

Really like this design ! I had noticed this board when I surfed on Taobao, but unfortunately the group buy for R1 just ended at that time, so really looking forward to an Geekhack GB. One thing I would really love to see is the support of alps switch if possible, even if just for switch plate since there is still option for hand wiring. Also maybe adding some cool looking color, like those retro green/blue color and red on fridges, or classic ivory color (though these might not be possible with anodize but only spray color)

Thanks for the supporting. ;D
Alps compatibility is not possible, and colors you mentioned were pretty hard to do it with anodizing.
We'll try to satisfy everyone with as many color options as we can.

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 10:02:59 »
What an awesomely unique keyboard.
I definitely need at least one of these in my collection.

Offline fnurl

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 12:10:27 »
Looking forward to the GB and hoping my wallet will be fat enough :) Given that TMK can drive it, I suspect that adding QMK support is doable though even if not available from the start.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 12:49:46 »
The mini USB port is a very reliable solution for keyboards. Why having a USB-c? Unless it is easily replaceable, like phone ports that are in a separated small board, it is a less reliable solution of an otherwise interesting design.

Offline ptiede

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 12:55:56 »
The mini USB port is a very reliable solution for keyboards. Why having a USB-c? Unless it is easily replaceable, like phone ports that are in a separated small board, it is a less reliable solution of an otherwise interesting design.

Usb-C is the future and is a much more sturdy plug. I love that they are using them on this board.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 12:56:54 »

Usb-C is the future and is a much more sturdy plug. I love that they are using them on this board.

Do you have evidence supporting it? Not your love, neither being the future; but, on sturdiness of the port.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 October 2017, 12:58:26 by ideus »

Offline ptiede

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 13:09:13 »

Do you have evidence supporting it? Not your love, neither being the future; but, on sturdiness of the port.

So the thing is min USB if you look at insertion cycle lifetime is actually one of the poorest connectors. It was only made to last 1000 cycles. I think now a good cable can get up to 5000, but Usb-c is rated for at least 10 000 cycles which is a factor of two better.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/8377/usb-typec-connector-specifications-finalized

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 13:48:57 »

So the thing is min USB if you look at insertion cycle lifetime is actually one of the poorest connectors. It was only made to last 1000 cycles. I think now a good cable can get up to 5000, but Usb-c is rated for at least 10 000 cycles which is a factor of two better.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/8377/usb-typec-connector-specifications-finalized

An specification is not actual reliability data, it is just the design's purpose, achieving it will depend on manufacturing quality. But, I can see your point. Personally, I have my keyboards always connected to my Thinkpad's port replicators at home and at work, so I never unplug them, however, Mini USB has proved to be reliable enough for keyboard applications, also, I'd prefer the wire at the back, it is a cleaner desk setup, than on the side.

Offline koduh

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 13:54:41 »

An specification is not actual reliability data, it is just the design's purpose, achieving it will depend on manufacturing quality. But, I can see your point. Personally, I have my keyboards always connected to my Thinkpad's port replicators at home and at work, so I never unplug them, however, Mini USB has proved to be reliable enough for keyboard applications, also, I'd prefer the wire at the back, it is a cleaner desk setup, than on the side.
Are you really arguing the reliability of the USB C port? Don't you think Samsung and Google and Apple haven't looked into this? How is that not proof enough. If the professional hardware developers are using USB-C then I'm comfortable in their decision making.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 14:04:28 »

Are you really arguing the reliability of the USB C port? Don't you think Samsung and Google and Apple haven't looked into this? How is that not proof enough. If the professional hardware developers are using USB-C then I'm comfortable in their decision making.

There no need to justify a change made by the industry. It is a fact and it is coming to all of our gadgets sooner or later. I just asked if you had actual reliability data supporting your statement, but you are just echoing the industry's advertising. It is not bad not having facts, must of our comments here are just opinions with no evidence.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 14:06:01 »

you'll have to get into the buy/sell/trade QQ channel, but they're not exactly fans of having foreigners in there

Offline ptiede

« Reply #71 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 14:18:40 »

There no need to justify a change made by the industry. It is a fact and it is coming to all of our gadgets sooner or later. I just asked if you had actual reliability data supporting your statement, but you are just echoing the industry's advertising. It is not bad not having facts, must of our comments here are just opinions with no evidence.

Ya I agree a specification is not equal to it. But that was just the first article I found. There are other articles where the reliability has been stated. I'm assuming that it has been tested.

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 20:38:40 »

Ya I agree a specification is not equal to it. But that was just the first article I found. There are other articles where the reliability has been stated. I'm assuming that it has been tested.

Thanks for discussion. ;D
There were three points why CA66 were using TypeC port:
1. They thought both typec port and case were rounded, and they matched well.
2. Could be plugged from front side and reverse side for sure.
3. Added a new element to a old fashioned keyboard.

I also asked why the port set on the side than the back. Yock said that he didn't want to destroy the perfect rounded surface by drilling a hole on it.
I prefer wiring at the back myself, but CA66 is kind of not suitable.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 21:13:45 »
Thank you for the feedback. Please share the pricing as soon as possible, it will allow to make a decision if joining, or not.

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 23:37:11 »
Thank you for the feedback. Please share the pricing as soon as possible, it will allow to make a decision if joining, or not.

Just updated. :D
Thank you for keeping an eye on this IC thread.

Offline tuantruong

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 00:30:56 »
Finally! Been waiting for a mx version of kishsaver for years. I'm in!

Offline Troif

• Carpe Diem!!!
    • Daniel Ferrer
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 07:51:06 »
I am HHKB layout fanatic but if I have to decide, WKL is so beautiful. I Will try to get 2 in 2 colores... wallet destroyed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
--
Filco TKL Ninja Blues / CODE Greens / Pok3r Clears / HHKBpro2 / RF 87U 55g / Novatouch TKL / KC60 Clears / SSK and also regular Model M

Offline HongguChaego

« Reply #77 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 08:45:43 »
Yeah, Type-c is more futuristic and can make case more decent.
But almost all user using mini b cable for keyboard...
it's very important for compatibility.
I don't want adding one more cable on my desk.
So if it possible, please consider mini b port...  ;)

And Thank you for making this fantastic keyboard ^_^

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 09:06:43 »
Yeah, Type-c is more futuristic and can make case more decent.
But almost all user using mini b cable for keyboard...
it's very important for compatibility.
I don't want adding one more cable on my desk.
So if it possible, please consider mini b port...  ;)

And Thank you for making this fantastic keyboard ^_^

I have seen a few new Chinese keyboard PCBs and it appears USB/c is getting common. Anyways, I really do not see how to justify a three hundred something board, while I really do not have any use for dedicated arrows and when I am doing pretty well with a sixty format.

Offline timerickson

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 14 October 2017, 18:57:38 »
Super interested. And +1 to USB-C

Offline Idef1x

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 12:49:15 »
This look very nice. I could definitely be interested in this - especially with an ISO option.
Board: Clueboard 66%, 65g Zealios, /dev/tty caps.

Offline koduh

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 13:05:13 »
Is there any possibility to add ALPS support? I think this is a really cool design to make a modern 65% AEK-II if only it had the PCB support for it.

Offline tigerali

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 13:21:36 »
Super interested. And +1 to USB-C

Same. Ready to move to USB C.

Offline crtexcnndrm99

• *profile image used without permission* ;)
« Reply #83 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 17:55:44 »
Is there any possibility to add ALPS support? I think this is a really cool design to make a modern 65% AEK-II if only it had the PCB support for it.

This would look amazing with the beige AEK keycaps..

You're a smooth smoothie, you know? ~ Gaear Grimsrud

Offline koduh

« Reply #84 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 19:51:33 »

My exact thoughts! After seeing the super sexy AEK64 case/board that Clueboard is selling it made me want a 65% version.

I jumped onto KLE and played with some layouts but none really worked due to keycap sizing though. :(  I just tried out this CA66 style and it works with all Original caps! Although It doesn't match their current plan for CA66.  Here are my renditions: https://imgur.com/a/2oCdL

Offline Auroraa

« Reply #85 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 20:09:09 »

you'll have to get into the buy/sell/trade QQ channel, but they're not exactly fans of having foreigners in there

I actually have a build r1 board, but it would take a lot to convince me to trade/sell it...
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 October 2017, 20:16:57 by Auroraa »

Offline m1kehonch0

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 06:41:12 »
Reserved. This is dope AF

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 15:51:11 »
What colour options where offered in the first round?

Offline CaptainVinceO2

• ApexKeyboards
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 16:08:02 »
Imagine GMK 9009 on the silver case... Unreal

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline typischt

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 17:10:28 »
I'd be totally in! Such an amazing design!
Would you guys rather get a WKL version or a "regular" one? I actually really like the HHKB layout, since it looks soo clean, but on the same time, I would really like to have that CA 66 logo since it makes the board kinda special.. I'm really conflicted about that..
On some of the pictures, the keyboard looks like a darker green aka olive green (at least on my screen). Is it actually like that or is it "just" a regular grey? I'd really dig a olive green keyboard..! :)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 18:16:50 »
Would you guys rather get a WKL version or a "regular" one? I actually really like the HHKB layout, since it looks soo clean, but on the same time, I would really like to have that CA 66 logo since it makes the board kinda special.. I'm really conflicted about that..
On some of the pictures, the keyboard looks like a darker green aka olive green (at least on my screen). Is it actually like that or is it "just" a regular grey? I'd really dig a olive green keyboard..! :)

The Logo comes in the HHKB version. The WKL does not include the Logo.

Offline typischt

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 18:30:13 »

The Logo comes in the HHKB version. The WKL does not include the Logo.

Yeah, sorry about the mix up, happened in the heat of the moment :) of course, it‘s the other way around..
Another attempt:
I actually really like the WKL layout, since it looks soo clean, but on the same time, I would really like to have that CA 66 logo since it makes the board kinda special.. I'm really conflicted about that..

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Offline Trente

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 18:42:32 »

My exact thoughts! After seeing the super sexy AEK64 case/board that Clueboard is selling it made me want a 65% version.

I jumped onto KLE and played with some layouts but none really worked due to keycap sizing though. :(  I just tried out this CA66 style and it works with all Original caps! Although It doesn't match their current plan for CA66.  Here are my renditions: https://imgur.com/a/2oCdL

Really cool renders, but unfortunately I think they might not considering alps compatibility at this moment, I had ask previously and they said not now.

Offline koduh

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 18:49:05 »

Really cool renders, but unfortunately I think they might not considering alps compatibility at this moment, I had ask previously and they said not now.
Yeah figured as much. Still a rad design!

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 19:08:38 »
I hope that price estimation can come down a little more, that's just a tad more than I'd like to spend.
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline iliptikal

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 22:34:03 »
I prefer the layout with the ca66 logo for sure

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #96 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 15:19:20 »
I hope that price estimation can come down a little more, that's just a tad more than I'd like to spend.

In SC I can believe it  :)), but i may spring for this.

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 15:52:04 »

I'd like to see it come down to at least $250, honestly.
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline packman86

• Morning Coffee
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 20:00:12 »

I'd like to see it come down to at least $250, honestly.

$250 is the price on Taobao right now.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.22.16eac8aU4m4e7&id=554507757989&ns=1&abbucket=17#detail

Keyboard Collection:

More

TGR Jane V2 | TGR Jane V2 CE | TGR Alice | TGR Dolice | TGR 910 | TGR x Singa UNIKORN 60 | Matrix 8XV 2.0 Korea Version | Matrix 8XV 2.0add | LZ CLS s h x | Duck Jetfire | TX-CP | QXP | Noxary X65 | RAMA M60-A | Model F62 "Kishsaver"

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 20:20:46 »
That price is pretty much irresistible - is the international buy actually going to be a thing or do we need to go through taobao?