Author Topic: [IC] SA Royalty (its in the soon^tm phase)  (Read 44914 times)

Offline Darkstar77

Re: [IC] SA Royalty
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 08:13:11 »
I know this wasn’t your intention at the beginning, but I think that if you want this to be successful, turning this isn’t a Maxkeys revision of SA Retro would attract a lot of attention. With the turn towards vintage-inspired custom keyboards here on GH at the moment, this could be the perfect timing for a retro set to pair with those boards. This could follow what was done for Maxkey Calm Depths, which also took an incredibly hard to get and inflated priced set and made it available to everyone again for like $120 bucks.

What do others think?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think I'm interested because this looks a lot like SA Retro, but I can see the film palette inspiration too. Spinning as a SA Retro like would probably attract a lot more attention. I know lots of folks are still trying to find sets of SA Retro, which is virtually impossible.

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 10 November 2017, 10:47:04 »
If you'd like (or dislike) a brown alpha pack, vote here:

https://strawpoll.com/zyed2dzb

If you'd be interested in hiragana alphas that (somewhat) stay true to gorton modified, vote here:

https://strawpoll.com/k8ph3623

« Last Edit: Fri, 10 November 2017, 15:04:25 by ye_cole »

Offline cdn-mini

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 10 November 2017, 10:51:39 »
Can you explain what on earth hiragana have to do with "The Royal Tenenbaums"?
This IC is on crack.

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 10 November 2017, 11:12:48 »
Well, crap. I just wanted some dope Japanese alphas, and thought they would look great in burgundy.

I didn't think I had to really explain it. I mean, it's a keycap set based off the color palette to a certain shot in a movie. I didn't have any novelties planned that were based off the movie,  and I just thought that this would be a nice addition to spice up the set.

If you (and enough other people for it to actually matter) honestly care that much, I can do one of two things: rename the set to SA Human Race (after Pharrell's HU NMDs) or rewatch the movie once or twice and formulate an abstract reason why Japanese alphas fit into the overall theme of the set. As you can probably gather, I'd like to do neither of those things.

But anyway, if you have any arguments against including the alphas that aren't just "Oh no, they don't fit into my color palette canon,", do let me know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: Fri, 10 November 2017, 15:04:42 by ye_cole »

Offline japancakes

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 11 November 2017, 13:12:27 »
I'm super into this color scheme. Nice work. Hiragana is one thing ...but Hangul :thumb: -- you could corner that market. There isn't a single Korean SA set available.

Offline baxxt14

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 09:17:34 »
I'd like to see some of the green from that palette that u have but idk where you'd put it

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 19:09:02 »
I'm super into this color scheme. Nice work. Hiragana is one thing ...but Hangul :thumb: -- you could corner that market. There isn't a single Korean SA set available.

Thanks, but think I'm going to stick with hiragana, if i'm doing it at all.

I'd like to see some of the green from that palette that u have but idk where you'd put it

Good idea! I'm thinking as an accent.

Offline baxxt14

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 19:19:16 »
also that profile picture is creeping me out

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 19:37:49 »
no u

it's my favorite picture, photoshopped on to the  watch the throne cover art.

I've titled it: big sexy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Offline Darkstar77

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 08:26:58 »
Bump this guy back up. Hoping to see some more interest. I would still love to see this one move forward.

Offline Chromatrope

• Tortures arrows, murders Lshift, doesn't press X
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 04:36:54 »
I really love the muted burgundy. SA Retro is a bit unappealing to me due to the bluntness of just how brown the brown is. Brown alphas in a less gaudy colour could look good but full burgundy is a safe bet.

Now Hiragana legends, I would be super super into those as the shameless lowkey weeb that I am. However, wouldn't that be basically impossible with Maxkey, since you'd need new molds for every single legend, effectively turning it into a set of dozens of novelties? Unless they've changed a lot in the last few months I can't see that happening, as much as I want it to.
I dance significantly better through bullet patterns than the alphanumerics. Known to cause heart failure in touch typists on sight.

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 00:02:59 »
Bump this guy back up. Hoping to see some more interest. I would still love to see this one move forward.

Thank you! <3

I really love the muted burgundy. SA Retro is a bit unappealing to me due to the bluntness of just how brown the brown is. Brown alphas in a less gaudy colour could look good but full burgundy is a safe bet.

Now Hiragana legends, I would be super super into those as the shameless lowkey weeb that I am. However, wouldn't that be basically impossible with Maxkey, since you'd need new molds for every single legend, effectively turning it into a set of dozens of novelties? Unless they've changed a lot in the last few months I can't see that happening, as much as I want it to.

Yeah, I'm a pretty big closet weeb lol. Which is mostly why I would want the hiragana legends. Basically, it would be one reeaaallly big novelty pack. Obviously expensive, and may not make MOQ, but it's there. :/

I'll try and find a nice brown to use for the alpha pack.

Janglad made some renders for this too. Thoughts?

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 01:37:20 »

Thank you! <3

Yeah, I'm a pretty big closet weeb lol. Which is mostly why I would want the hiragana legends. Basically, it would be one reeaaallly big novelty pack. Obviously expensive, and may not make MOQ, but it's there. :/

Show Image

Beautiful render man, waiting to see this IC become GB

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 01:53:38 »

Thank you! <3

Show Image

I dig this, but I'm not sure I'm confident enough in maxkeys current ability to match colors. I'm hoping some of the upcoming sets go better than the horrific mess that is maxkeys nuclear: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=92735.0

vs

The images of Superhero don't look particularly promising to me: https://www.zfrontier.com/post/detail/3406

But it could just be awful photography there.

I need more data before I will bother with maxkeys again, but I dig the design and would buy it as long as it looked like the render. Definitely would be interested in SP, but totally get that the huge backlog makes that unlikely.

Offline Chromatrope

Re: [IC] SA Royalty (renders up, bb)
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 04:35:18 »
We'd have to ask for samples for sure, and I doubt they'd be incompetent enough to mismatch the colour they just made themselves so I'm pretty sure that would be enough.
I dance significantly better through bullet patterns than the alphanumerics. Known to cause heart failure in touch typists on sight.

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 15:51:20 »

Thank you! <3

Show Image

I dig this, but I'm not sure I'm confident enough in maxkeys current ability to match colors. I'm hoping some of the upcoming sets go better than the horrific mess that is maxkeys nuclear: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=92735.0

Show Image

vs
Show Image

The images of Superhero don't look particularly promising to me: https://www.zfrontier.com/post/detail/3406

But it could just be awful photography there.

I need more data before I will bother with maxkeys again, but I dig the design and would buy it as long as it looked like the render. Definitely would be interested in SP, but totally get that the huge backlog makes that unlikely.

We'd have to ask for samples for sure, and I doubt they'd be incompetent enough to mismatch the colour they just made themselves so I'm pretty sure that would be enough.

Yep! :)

Offline japancakes

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 02:22:49 »

Thank you! <3

Show Image

That render is gorgeous. I'd want to get in on it especially if you nail accurate colors with any samples.

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 13:12:31 »
That render is gorgeous. I'd want to get in on it especially if you nail accurate colors with any samples.

Aww, thanks! :)

Uh, you too!

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 04:02:55 »
The latest render is attractive. Hope there are more kits for ergo, dvorak, etc.

Offline Darkstar77

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 09:37:38 »

Thank you! <3

Show Image

Render is looking good. Love those colours.

Offline lovetree

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 06:37:52 »
This set should be done. I am definitely in when GB runs  :thumb:

Offline Narandelar

« Reply #71 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 01:38:10 »
Any possibility for a planck kit?

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 12:28:26 »
If you could make this look similar to Retro SA, then I'm in:)
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline crtexcnndrm99

• *profile image used without permission* ;)
« Reply #73 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 17:25:59 »

That’s what we’re all secretly hoping for, right? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're a smooth smoothie, you know? ~ Gaear Grimsrud

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 01:18:54 »
Any possibility for a planck kit?

Naahhh, probably not.

What do you guys think about using SP as the manufacturer this time around? I really want their glossy finish on this set.

OFC, there will be a brown alpha pack. All, uh retro resemblance, is purely coincidental.

Also, gotta contact matt3o, so if anyone has an email address that would be nice.

At no point will the brown alphas be added to the base kit, just to make that clear.

Offline Chromatrope

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 05:00:30 »
Not sure how I feel about SP, with their super long turnaround times on SA and whatnot, and the pricing of course.

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 11:48:45 »
Not sure how I feel about SP, with their super long turnaround times on SA and whatnot, and the pricing of course.

That's certainly a fair point. I realize their turnaround times are really long as well, and the pricing is, to be frank, pretty expensive. However, I reaaallllyyy want their shiny finish on this.

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 13:26:13 »

That's certainly a fair point. I realize their turnaround times are really long as well, and the pricing is, to be frank, pretty expensive. However, I reaaallllyyy want their shiny finish on this.

Yess please go with SP 👍🏻

Offline crtexcnndrm99

• *profile image used without permission* ;)
« Reply #78 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 18:11:01 »
Only upside to the long wait times for SP would be the resale value, since maxkeys tends to depreciate..

I’d be on the fence about SP or maxkeys, but a more than a year waiting time would probably kill it for me

You're a smooth smoothie, you know? ~ Gaear Grimsrud

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 06:06:43 »

Yep ;D
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Darkstar77

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 13:00:36 »
Also, gotta contact matt3o, so if anyone has an email address that would be nice.
At no point will the brown alphas be added to the base kit, just to make that clear.

https://matt3o.com/

His contact info is there, he does respond. I've had a conversation via email with him about Retro specifically about 2 months ago.

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 13:06:38 »

https://matt3o.com/

His contact info is there, he does respond. I've had a conversation via email with him about Retro specifically about 2 months ago.

That's dope. I sent him an email around a day or two ago, and I'm waiting for a response now. :)

Offline frivolutionary

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 12:16:55 »
I like burgundy

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 23:37:03 »
I like burgundy

Me too, man. Me too.

Offline EightDiagram

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 19:44:44 »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder

Offline Harms

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 22:48:06 »
Wow

This looks amazing!

I hope its SP SA, since I already will have Max Keys SA berserk in a similar color way :P.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 23:45:01 »
Wow

This looks amazing!

I hope its SP SA, since I already will have Max Keys SA berserk in a similar color way :P.

I've probably already said it, but this^

I'd totally buy an SP version of this no matter the wait. I'm not really sold on maxkeys.

Offline 19MODL

« Reply #88 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 23:54:20 »
I'd be down for a set! Really reminds me of the GMK Red Samurai set too.
iGK64 - Kailh Speed Bronze - GMK Laser
Pok3r - MX Red - GMK Red Samurai
NIU Mini - Tealio - DSA Drifter
Incoming: Mechmini 2 - SA Night King

Offline EightDiagram

« Reply #89 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 11:53:17 »
I'd like both Samurai and Royalty.  Hopefully the timing works out where one wouldn't have to choose between one or the other!

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #90 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 12:48:33 »
I'd like both Samurai and Royalty.  Hopefully the timing works out where one wouldn't have to choose between one or the other!

I like them both as well. Honestly not sure which to go for if I have to choose.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #91 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 16:01:02 »
The Royal Tenenbaums is my favorite movie, but nothing about the colors reminds me about the movie  :rolleyes:
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 09:29:47 »
I'd be so much more tempted by this if it was made by Signature Plastics despite how long it might take.
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 January 2018, 10:48:57 by cijanzen »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 09:37:24 »
I'd be so much more tempted by this if it was SA profile despite how long it might take.

It is SA profile.... do you mean Signature Plastics instead of Maxkey?

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #94 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 10:48:23 »
I'd be so much more tempted by this if it was SA profile despite how long it might take.

It is SA profile.... do you mean Signature Plastics instead of Maxkey?

Ah whoops yep definitely meant SP (Signature Plastics)

Offline azachhh

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 16:57:27 »
I would definitely get in on this!

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #96 on: Sat, 03 February 2018, 16:56:57 »
Any updates on this?

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 00:09:56 »
No, this is being postponed until after CD.

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 11:47:20 »
No, this is being postponed until after CD.

CD?

Offline EightDiagram

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 15:01:48 »