Author Topic: [IC] Modern M0110  (Read 138149 times)

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
[IC] Modern M0110
« on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 13:25:15 »
Hello

Let me introduce you to a project me and /u/heroyjenkins have been working on the past few months, the Modern M0110. A modern take on the legendary board Steve Jobs himself designed to go with the original Macintosh, it has sure left its footprint on the community. Not only are people still working on retrofitting modern components in to it to this day, it also inspired Eiiti Wada to design the legendary HHKB. Combining the best of old-school looks and modern typing comfort, this board is sure to convince both your fingers and your eyes.

Machining
It will be milled out of solid aluminium, weighing the board in at +3kg unbuilt! The top-mounted plate will be available in different materials for optimal typing comfort. The case will be compatible with 60% PCBs like the GH60.

Finishing
We're looking into multiple finishes, from the standard anodising to powder coating and more. Suggestions are always welcome.

Pricing
This is a big one obviously, the model is fairly complex for a keyboard and it uses a hell of a lot of material. Shipping will also be quite costly considering the weight. The price point we're looking at right now will be quite competitive, however, we want to wait until we have our prototype in hand before we say anything final. As it is right now, pricing for a anodised model included plate will be in the low $200-300 range for sure. The prototype is expected to arrive in less than a week  :)

Shipping
As for shipping, I'll be sure to hit up some familiar faces from the 9009 GB. I hope I can prove again that it's possible to get a nice keyboard related item without giving your life savings to customs  ;D

To-do
  • Finish up on design
  • Order prototype
  • Evaluate prototype
  • Launch GB

« Last Edit: Mon, 06 November 2017, 13:46:40 by janglad »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: [IC] Modern M0110
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 13:26:47 »
Looks pretty uncomfortable to type on. How wide are the bezels, and how tall is it?

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 13:29:32 »
Looks pretty uncomfortable to type on. How wide are the bezels, and how tall is it?

Height is the same as the original M0110, however, the angle is way less (7 degrees right now). If the proto proves to be uncomfortable the height will be adjusted for sure, but we tried to follow the original design as much as possible initially.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 13:30:06 »

Height is the same as the original M0110, however, the angle is way less (7 degrees right now). If the proto proves to be uncomfortable the height will be adjusted for sure, but we tried to follow the original design as much as possible initially.

I'm not familiar with the dimensions of the original, what are they?

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 13:35:45 »
Any plan of the same case but with normal top, without blockers? (just a 60%) 

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 13:36:16 »
Retro60 is also designed base on the look of M0110

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 13:49:57 »
Retro60 is also designed base on the look of M0110

I know, but I personally would consider this to be a nicer interpretation if I do say so myself  :p. Flat vs angled, tray mount vs top mount, ..... We are looking at a similar pricepoint though ;)

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 13:50:16 »

Possible to be added with enough requests :)

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 13:52:34 »

I'm not familiar with the dimensions of the original, what are they?

About 3cm from the very top to the bottom.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 13:59:52 »
Im down.

Offline OmegaSupreme

• For Cybertron!!!
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 14:04:56 »
 Yes! Finally!  I’m definitely in for one!
| TX-CP | Dolphin V3x 2 | Dolphin Padx 2 | Unicorn X Legend | Jane V2 | Jane V2 CE |

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 14:06:27 »
Finally. Yes. Please do take your time, with Time TKL and the CA66 just around the corner (as well as Laser being active and 9009 being held before) I'm extremely poor right now LOL

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 14:20:13 »
At last.  Been waiting for this to show up. Will buy one for sure

Offline Troif

• Carpe Diem!!!
    • Daniel Ferrer
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 14:21:35 »
I am in for sure also. IN IN IN. And I want it NOW! Super excited about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
--
Filco TKL Ninja Blues / CODE Greens / Pok3r Clears / HHKBpro2 / RF 87U 55g / Novatouch TKL / KC60 Clears / SSK and also regular Model M

Offline olivia

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 14:23:20 »
So excited to see this in IC!! If possible, I'd love to see a rose gold color option offered 😍

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 14:48:25 »
i know this is already heavy, but any chance of a weight? haha

Offline marre259

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 14:58:57 »
Any chance for alps compatibility?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 15:04:08 »
Alps support would be amazing.  The trouble is, of course, keycaps.  I'm going to say that the layout will make alps a no go, sadly.  Unless someone can convince a vendor to start making non-standard alps keycaps :)

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 15:55:44 »
I know, but I personally would consider this to be a nicer interpretation if I do say so myself  :p. Flat vs angled, tray mount vs top mount, ..... We are looking at a similar pricepoint though ;)

Decisions, decisions!

One cool feature of the Retro 60 is an extra-high-profile to better match SA keycaps, then provided spacers to raise the PCB if using lower-profile sets.  I suppose that could be done in some way with top mount?  Not sure exactly what it would entail, though.

We need a version without blockers.  And although I like the idea of a top-mounted plate, it does mean I have to use your plate and hope it supports my favored layout, or else I'm left trying to modify it, or replace it entirely with something custom.

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 15:58:26 »

Decisions, decisions!

One cool feature of the Retro 60 is an extra-high-profile to better match SA keycaps, then provided spacers to raise the PCB if using lower-profile sets.  I suppose that could be done in some way with top mount?  Not sure exactly what it would entail, though.

We need a version without blockers.  And although I like the idea of a top-mounted plate, it does mean I have to use your plate and hope it supports my favored layout, or else I'm left trying to modify it, or replace it entirely with something custom.

This is also higher profile then normal, although not just as much as the R60 if I'm remembering it correctly. Also, the plate supports pretty much every 60 layout I know of except for 2u shift (that needs a new plate entirely)

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 15:59:08 »
Alps support would be amazing.  The trouble is, of course, keycaps.  I'm going to say that the layout will make alps a no go, sadly.  Unless someone can convince a vendor to start making non-standard alps keycaps :)

That plate supports both MX and ALPS, and the ALPS64 should work in this case since it supports normal GH60 cases ;) ;)

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 16:05:53 »
This is also higher profile then normal, although not just as much as the R60 if I'm remembering it correctly. Also, the plate supports pretty much every 60 layout I know of except for 2u shift (that needs a new plate entirely)

Sounds good.  The decisions only get harder.  The right powder coated finish might win me over.   ;)

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 16:18:02 »

Possible to be added with enough requests :)

+1 for normal 60%. Hhkb layout is just a no-go for me

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 16:23:51 »

Sounds good.  The decisions only get harder.  The right powder coated finish might win me over.   ;)

if it could be finished like the new model Fs.... oh man

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 16:30:48 »
That plate supports both MX and ALPS, and the ALPS64 should work in this case since it supports normal GH60 cases ;) ;)

Quick question - is this something we should expect this year still?

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 16:39:47 »

All depends on the proto. If it's good, this will be launched this year for sure.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 November 2017, 16:41:31 by janglad »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 17:05:22 »

All depends on the proto. If it's good, this will be launched this year for sure.

Roger, if that is the case (which for your sake I hope it is) then maybe shooting for a Christmas ish release may be favourable - several cool boards coming out this month.

Offline Kafka

• i like clean things
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 17:22:25 »
Cerakote beige pls

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 17:25:40 »

Roger, if that is the case (which for your sake I hope it is) then maybe shooting for a Christmas ish release may be favourable - several cool boards coming out this month.

Yeah I really hope everything works out! For all the folks going to the NoCal meetup, you will get a chance to see this board IRL (if the shipping gods are in our favour that is  :rolleyes:).

Also, for those that were a fan of the original packaging: Garrett from Dixiemech whipped up a nice concept for the box :)

Original Macintosh box:

M0110 box concept:

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 17:26:33 »
Cerakote beige pls

Beige is a must on the list for sure, although I was more looking at a rough powder coat like the Norbeaur Galaxy Console finish.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 17:26:43 »
Cerakote beige pls

I don’t think I’ve ever said it, but that just might be end-game material.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 17:28:23 »
What about the finish on the f77s?  It looks fantastic and is a bit more subtle than Ryan’s finish but in the same spirit

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 17:30:46 »
What about the finish on the f77s?  It looks fantastic and is a bit more subtle than Ryan’s finish but in the same spirit

Do you know what finishing type they use?

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 17:33:03 »
If Alps supports and <$300 price are real then I'm on this beauty!

Colour wise, I'd probably play it safe with a silver if I were to order one, but I think the right shade of light grey could also look really nice  :thumb:
KBD75; Alps64 trio; some other stuff

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 17:42:43 »
Beige is a must on the list for sure, although I was more looking at a rough powder coat like the Norbeaur Galaxy Console finish.

That would be beyond fantastic - since you mentioned Norbauer's beautiful work, if I am allowed a selfish suggestion/request, I'd love to see a straight neon/bubblegum pink akin his Venice Beach colourway since I need a case in that colour for Laser. Even the Exent's pink turned out to be rather on point - http://i.imgur.com/1wZfcFO.jpg

Oh and great job with the packaging, that's very cool and I hope you make it in time to have it sent over to the meet up!

PS: would the main "hub" for the buy be, once again, Mykeyboard like it was for 9009?

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 17:45:43 »

That would be beyond fantastic - since you mentioned Norbauer's beautiful work, if I am allowed a selfish suggestion/request, I'd love to see a straight neon/bubblegum pink akin his Venice Beach colourway since I need a case in that colour for Laser. Even the Exent's pink turned out to be rather on point - http://i.imgur.com/1wZfcFO.jpg

Oh and great job with the packaging, that's very cool and I hope you make it in time to have it sent over to the meet up!

PS: would the main "hub" for the buy be, once again, Mykeyboard like it was for 9009?

Hmmm we're really not planning on offering anything too flashy as of now, since this board seems more to be something you build too look "stylish" if you get what I mean. Again, with enough requests we can look into it for sure.

Also, yes we haven't agreed on anything official yet but David said he would gladly run this too :)

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 17:59:13 »
Hmmm we're really not planning on offering anything too flashy as of now, since this board seems more to be something you build too look "stylish" if you get what I mean. Again, with enough requests we can look into it for sure.

Also, yes we haven't agreed on anything official yet but David said he would gladly run this too :)

Absolutely, it's more an austere board hence me saying it's a selfish/silly request - absolutely understandable if you forgo it in favour of a more fitting colour, I just have funny taste and think the classy design coupled with a whacky colour could be interesting. In all honest I'd probably end up getting one in beige regardless even if pink were to be offered!

Thank you for working on things with David, it's so much easier to not have to go through the customs process myself. Huge quality of life improvement. Appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions!

Offline chicagoboss25

• deskcandy.xyz | reddit.com/u/heroyjenkins
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 18:31:39 »
i know this is already heavy, but any chance of a weight? haha

/u/heroyjenkins here (different username on GH): probably not going to have a weight. This thing is going to be a couple kilos without a dedicated weight (it's cheaper to machine by leaving in a lot of the bulk since the manufacture method substracts material) so it would be way overkill to add an extra weight on top.

Offline purrito

• mmm...spicy
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 19:12:49 »

Yeah I really hope everything works out! For all the folks going to the NoCal meetup, you will get a chance to see this board IRL (if the shipping gods are in our favour that is  :rolleyes:).

Also, for those that were a fan of the original packaging: Garrett from Dixiemech whipped up a nice concept for the box :)

Original Macintosh box:

Show Image

M0110 box concept:

Show Image

Don't know about NoCal but I'll definitely be at the NorCal meet up

I'll have an old school M0110 on hand for a little compare and contrast. Can't wait to see how you've updated it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

GMK Carbon Zealios B.mini | Matias QC Let's Split | Overcast DSA Zealios Planck | DangerZone MX Red Pok3r

Offline neralo

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 19:16:43 »
Ok well, I want this very very much. Keeping an eye out.

Any chance of a yellowed ABS colour haha.
HHKB Pro 2 55g | TGR 910 55g Vintage Blacks | Apple Standard M0116 Orange Alps | Rosewill RK9000 Cherry MX Blues | Diverge TM 2 WKLears

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 20:02:25 »

Do you know what finishing type they use?

It is powder coated.  It just has a bit less raised texture than the Norbauer case.  More like the finish on a nice camera body. 

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 20:25:34 »
Looks awesome! Will be nice if we could have picture of sample or typing video.

Offline Fluffypupper22

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 21:21:33 »
I'm in for one of these. I like the Retro60, but the single color choice is kind of a bummer.

Offline crtexcnndrm99

• *profile image used without permission* ;)
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 21:25:33 »
Mate this is going to be one impressive hunk of vintage-inspired metal. Beige options too? Say no more..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You're a smooth smoothie, you know? ~ Gaear Grimsrud

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 21:56:58 »

Got to admit, I had the same thought.

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 00:15:45 »

YES!! Eu buyers are no longer at the mercy of NA and Asian GB and getting shafted by customs and tax.

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 00:54:05 »
Excited to see more from this project!

Offline arninja21

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 02:44:01 »
Can't wait for the colors to be announced.

Offline astonlau

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 02:50:35 »
I AM IN