Author Topic: [IC] Modern M0110  (Read 138135 times)

Offline Fluffypupper22

Re: [IC] Modern M0110
« Reply #200 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 10:31:05 »
Hey guys!

Another exciting update!

Show Image

As you can see, the revised prototypes are fully machined. Bead blasting and anodising (just for one, other will be cerakoted ;) ) is probably happening as we speak. We are getting quotes and protos for the brass plates too!

This is getting really close to GB stage now. I will make sure that all needed logistical work is done ASAP so that we could launch the GB when the prototypes arrive and are evaluated!

You just made my Tuesday.  :p

They are beautiful! Do you plan on selling an entire kit or will this GB just be for the case?

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #201 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 10:34:34 »
Hey guys!

Another exciting update!

Show Image

As you can see, the revised prototypes are fully machined. Bead blasting and anodising (just for one, other will be cerakoted ;) ) is probably happening as we speak. We are getting quotes and protos for the brass plates too!

This is getting really close to GB stage now. I will make sure that all needed logistical work is done ASAP so that we could launch the GB when the prototypes arrive and are evaluated!

They are beautiful! Do you plan on selling an entire kit or will this GB just be for the case?
It will be for the case + plate. There are plenty of 60% pcbs out there, including one would make for unnecessary extra complexity and limit choice for the people building their boards :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Fluffypupper22

« Reply #202 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 10:42:54 »
Hey guys!

Another exciting update!

Show Image

It will be for the case + plate. There are plenty of 60% pcbs out there, including one would make for unnecessary extra complexity and limit choice for the people building their boards :)

Cool. I'm really looking forward to this case. Have a good one!

Offline energyd

« Reply #203 on: Wed, 10 January 2018, 22:40:58 »
Hey guys!

Another exciting update!

Show Image

Just to make sure, could I just drop in my already built Zeal60 + pcb into the M0110 case?

Offline heavyheaded

« Reply #204 on: Wed, 10 January 2018, 23:02:29 »
I think you'll need to desolder your switches from the PCB, move to the M0110 plate, and resolder.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #205 on: Thu, 11 January 2018, 06:57:59 »
Just want to confirm, the plate and case are optimized for the HHKB layout with a 7u spacebar, right?
I have no idea what is the size of the original M0110's spacebar.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 January 2018, 06:59:51 by nguyenhimself »

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #206 on: Thu, 11 January 2018, 07:15:46 »
Just want to confirm, the plate and case are optimized for the HHKB layout with a 7u spacebar, right?

I think the original spacebar is 7.5u

https://deskthority.net/wiki/Apple_M0110

Offline chicagoboss25

• deskcandy.xyz | reddit.com/u/heroyjenkins
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #207 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 10:39:42 »
Hey guys!

Another exciting update!

Show Image

Just to make sure, could I just drop in my already built Zeal60 + pcb into the M0110 case?

heavyheaded is right, because standard 60% tray mount plates won't be compatible with the M0110 case you will have to desolder and rebuild the keyboard with M0110's plate. Any standard 60% PCB like Zeal60, XD60, DZ60, GH60, etc. will work so you could always just buy another PCB ;)

Offline chicagoboss25

• Desk Candy
« Reply #208 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 10:43:06 »

Yep exactly. While the physical dimensions of the case itself are almost an exact match to the original M0110 (with the exception of us lowering the case angle to be more comfortable to type on), the layout is a 7u spacebar MX HHKB style, just like Duck Viper or KBDFans Tina-C. Bottom row is like this:

1.5u blocker - 1u - 1.5u - 7u spacebar - 1.5u - 1u - 1.5u blocker

If you want to try and fit other layouts within the keyboard's frame, we will be open sourcing the plate design if you want to cut your own plate and hardwire or try some crazy other layout if your 60% PCB allows it.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #209 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 19:42:09 »

Yep exactly. While the physical dimensions of the case itself are almost an exact match to the original M0110 (with the exception of us lowering the case angle to be more comfortable to type on), the layout is a 7u spacebar MX HHKB style, just like Duck Viper or KBDFans Tina-C. Bottom row is like this:

If you want to try and fit other layouts within the keyboard's frame, we will be open sourcing the plate design if you want to cut your own plate and hardwire or try some crazy other layout if your 60% PCB allows it.

That's good to hear, because I have this funny HHKB-with-split-spacebars-and-arrow-keys layout that I've been wanting to try building for a little while, using the DZ60 PCB and the Tina-C's plate. All I'm waiting for is a case I'm satisfied with. Cue this thread 🙂

Offline chicagoboss25

• Desk Candy
« Reply #210 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 10:17:31 »

That's good to hear, because I have this funny HHKB-with-split-spacebars-and-arrow-keys layout that I've been wanting to try building for a little while, using the DZ60 PCB and the Tina-C's plate. All I'm waiting for is a case I'm satisfied with. Cue this thread 🙂

Show Image

Go for it :) Tina-C plate won't fit this case though, as the Modern M0110 will have a plate that is mounted around its perimeter to the top part of the case assembly instead of to the 6 poker style posts. So if you want to achieve that layout with this case and DZ60, you will need to cut your own custom plate--that can be tricky in steel but there are some folks like /u/jolimon who can cut you a plate from 3mm acrylic that will suit your needs and isn't crazy expensive for single custom plates.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #211 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 20:22:45 »

Show Image

Go for it :) Tina-C plate won't fit this case though, as the Modern M0110 will have a plate that is mounted around its perimeter to the top part of the case assembly instead of to the 6 poker style posts. So if you want to achieve that layout with this case and DZ60, you will need to cut your own custom plate--that can be tricky in steel but there are some folks like /u/jolimon who can cut you a plate from 3mm acrylic that will suit your needs and isn't crazy expensive for single custom plates.

Ah ****, forgot about that. It will be something like this, right?

Some thinking required here. i can't live without arrow keys (Tried, failed, gave up).

Offline pvd

« Reply #212 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 10:52:56 »
Can you confirm that different 60% pcbs fit the board? Looking at the prototype, the hole for the USB seems very snug, and in my experience pcbs can have a few mm of left-right variance in where the USB port is mounted. I'm specifically thinking of the DZ60, since that's the PCB I want to use.

Offline Slippery_John

« Reply #213 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 11:23:19 »
Is the beige powder coating happening? If not would it be possible to get raw aluminum so I can more easily get it powder coated myself?

Offline chicagoboss25

• Desk Candy
« Reply #214 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 11:36:53 »

Show Image

Ah ****, forgot about that. It will be something like this, right?

Show Image

Some thinking required here. i can't live without arrow keys (Tried, failed, gave up).

Yep it's something like this. I'll try to get some good pics of the interior so you can see what I mean as well. Thanks!

Offline chicagoboss25

• Desk Candy
« Reply #215 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 11:37:33 »
Can you confirm that different 60% pcbs fit the board? Looking at the prototype, the hole for the USB seems very snug, and in my experience pcbs can have a few mm of left-right variance in where the USB port is mounted. I'm specifically thinking of the DZ60, since that's the PCB I want to use.

Haven't yet tried USB-C cutouts but GH60 PCBs with mini USB connectors should work generally.

Offline chicagoboss25

• Desk Candy
« Reply #216 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 11:43:54 »
Hey folks, got in some color swatches from cerakote to test out different beige options. I snapped a couple pics comparing them to my original M0110 case to see what is most true to the original in addition to just what would look best with a wide array of keycap sets.

Inside top of case (hopefully not very yellowed from the years). Going from left to right we have: "light sand" H-142, "benelli sand" H-143, "brown sand" H-30372, "federal standard sabre sand" H-33446, and "desert sand" H-199.

Same deal with inside bottom of case.

Light sand (top) and benelli sand (bottom) on inside bottom of case

Light sand (top) and benelli sand (bottom) on bottom of the case

What do you think?

IMO benelli sand is a bit closer to the original, but edges on the darker side and may not work as well as light sand for matching modern keysets.

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #217 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 11:53:03 »
Yeah, i'm seeing benelli sand as well.
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline frostbyte-gaming

« Reply #218 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 12:08:13 »
The benelli sand seems much closer but I definitely think the lighter light sand would look much nicer and give it more of a fresh out of the box look.

Offline adamcobabe

« Reply #219 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 12:32:50 »
Was the original color of the plastic this beige when new? Are we matching the yellowing or the original color? Maybe I ignorantly thought the color was closer to say, an Apple Extended Keyboard II. Would it be possible to have an option that is closer to that more modern light grey color?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #220 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 13:00:35 »
I vote light sand. 

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #221 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 13:18:46 »
Light sand from me.

Offline DJ Shoko

« Reply #222 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 13:21:19 »
Light sand

Offline Edge.d

• Dark Atelier
« Reply #223 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 13:40:19 »
Light sand as well  :thumb:
Science must begin with myths, and with the criticism of myths.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #224 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 14:06:48 »
I definitely think light sand will look the best

Offline schmoktopus

« Reply #225 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 14:24:26 »
light sand as well for me.

Off-topic: Does anyone know what is going on with the other m0110 project? I know that there was a second prototype months ago but i haven't heard from that since then. I think it was called the mx0110 from redscarf.     

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #226 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 14:45:17 »
Light Sand

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #227 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 14:56:23 »
Okay, I'll be the lone voice of dissent and say that Benelli looks better to me. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #228 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 14:58:12 »
Light sand for sure.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #229 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 16:29:55 »
yup. light sand plz

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #230 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 16:47:59 »

Off-topic: Does anyone know what is going on with the other m0110 project? I know that there was a second prototype months ago but i haven't heard from that since then. I think it was called the mx0110 from redscarf.   

Hmm..didn't even know about it. Do you have a link?

Offline heavyheaded

« Reply #231 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 17:09:44 »
light sand!

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #232 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 17:19:49 »

https://www.chiphell.com/thread-1776866-1-1.html

It isn't in english

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #233 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 17:33:17 »

https://www.chiphell.com/thread-1776866-1-1.html

It isn't in english

Awesome, thanks. I love how that one has a usb hub built in.

Offline WarmCat

« Reply #234 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 18:56:05 »
This is awesome! Hopefully it will inspire the keycap design community to start giving 1.5 super keys as an option! Only set I’ve seen so far is gmk 9009. (On order of course)

Watching this with anticipation.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #235 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 20:34:42 »
Look, as someone who is planning to get an anodized space gray one, i"m just gonna say it: "federal standard sabre sand" sounds awesome!

- Oh, that's a pretty nice keyboard you got there. What's color is that, beige?
- Yeah, it's the "federal standard sabre sand" beige  :cool:

Offline Troif

• Carpe Diem!!!
    • Daniel Ferrer
« Reply #236 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 12:30:58 »
Light sand also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
--
Filco TKL Ninja Blues / CODE Greens / Pok3r Clears / HHKBpro2 / RF 87U 55g / Novatouch TKL / KC60 Clears / SSK and also regular Model M

Offline bminhz

« Reply #237 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 18:59:54 »
light sand for me as well

Offline neralo

« Reply #238 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 06:27:09 »
Benelli looks most like your case, but I think light sand might be better for a modern representation. Definitely looking forward to this!

HHKB Pro 2 55g | TGR 910 55g Vintage Blacks | Apple Standard M0116 Orange Alps | Rosewill RK9000 Cherry MX Blues | Diverge TM 2 WKLears

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #239 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 11:41:56 »
The whiter the better. Light sand.

Offline chicagoboss25

• Desk Candy
« Reply #240 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 16:04:31 »
Cool, thanks for the feedback! It seems like we [almost] have consensus on light sand :)

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #241 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 06:46:51 »
Benelli matches the original color the most. However, for future and keycap color compatibility I as well think light sand is the way to go.

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #242 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 08:17:10 »
Well the RedScarf one just launched on Massdrop...

I'm stickin' around for this one, I want that cerakote! 
And, the RedScarf one is at the original angle, which is absurd. 
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/red-scarf-ii-ver-e-mx0110-60-custom-keyboard-kit?mode=guest_open

I like the light sand, as well.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #243 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 08:32:28 »

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/red-scarf-ii-ver-e-mx0110-60-custom-keyboard-kit?mode=guest_open

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #244 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 08:34:21 »

OK, I know I can't be unbiased about this topic but I just want to say what I think about it.

First of all the USB hub is a cool idea for sure! Just makes it more complicated and makes using standard PCBs a bit of a mess, still cool idea and gives it an extra vintage touch!

But than that angle ooh booyyy.... Seems like 14 degree-ish? Weird thing is they made it thinner to seemingly make it more ergonomic, but then why keep the high angle? Now it just looks weird since by making it thinner they also threw it out of proportion.

Also, tray mount and the huuuugee gaps/tollerances around the keys for that price, IDK.

Anyways, bit of a rant right here, obviously if you like it got and get it! I guess I'm just kinda proud we will deliver an (IMO) way nicer product for the same price hehe ;)

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #245 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 08:37:51 »

Show Image

Just FYI, the original IC was actually launched for this 5 months ago by John:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/6ryyve/photos_introducing_the_modern0110_project/

However I don't want to go out there and say they copied us. So no pitchforks please, most likely just a coincidence. Even if, it's not like we (or RS for that matter) own the M0110 design :)

Quality meme nonetheless ;)

Offline N3RDLY

• G33k.works
« Reply #246 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 08:41:01 »

Show Image

Massdrop really does have the WORST timing ever....

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #247 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 08:45:53 »

Show Image

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/6ryyve/photos_introducing_the_modern0110_project/

However I don't want to go out there and say they copied us. So no pitchforks please, most likely just a coincidence. Even if, it's not like we (or RS for that matter) own the M0110 design :)

Yeah that's just a strange timing for RS, your IC is a cooperation with John right? 

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #248 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 08:47:13 »

Show Image

Yeah that's just a strange timing for RS, your IC is a cooperation with John right?

Yes we are actively working together on this! :) He is chicagoboss25 on here.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #249 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 09:07:27 »

Not to be that guy but I believe there was a post by RS or someone else on a Chinese (?) website that dates fairly far back too (to like September afaik?). That said their timing is still very poor and there are obvious issues with their design; I will stand by yours for those and others. The only cool thing about the MX0110 is the USB-B, though I imagine anyone else that doesn't own like 10 USB-B cables for their DACs and audio interfaces like I do won't really be amused by it.

PS: obviously I don't think anyone copied anyone else here, was just stating - RS is a pretty reputable company and if they did copy the design still, I doubt it'll hardly impact anyone's numbers when this buy here happens.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 January 2018, 09:11:57 by Vigrith »