Author Topic: Arduino, Elecrow or Raspberry Pi?  (Read 14737 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Arduino, Elecrow or Raspberry Pi?
« on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 13:15:21 »
For a while I've been pondering a small low-powered computer to do simple things like monitoring indoor temperature, showing a few status LEDs for critical services, maybe even some sort of basic home security (although limited to, say, monitoring open doors/windows).

Massdrop have a steady stream of Arduino, Elecrow (NodeMCU) and Raspberry Pi-based learning kits with various capabilities and/or sensors included.

Although I've knocked up a few things in the (distant) past, I have never played with these relatively modern devices.

Network connectivity is a must, whether wired or WiFi (wired probably preferred, to lessen the likelihood of vulnerability attacks).  I'm not averse to a bit of soldering, but plug and play would be a bonus.

Any comments or suggestions?

Massdrop kits are like these:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/elecrow-climber-intermediate-dev-kit-for-arduino?mode=guest_open
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/elecrow-esp8266-iot-weather-station-kit?mode=guest_open
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/seeed-raspberry-pi-3-b-w-starter-kit?mode=guest_open
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Arduino, Elecrow or Raspberry Pi?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 16:43:04 »
The kits are fine.. But I don't recommend them to adults, because the kits are mostly designed for kids projects.

If you're an adult,  Think of what you'd like to build FIRST,  then buy whatever it is you'll need.. because it's probably not in the kit anyway..

For something cheap like raspberries,  don't bother with massdrop, because why wait a whole month so you can save $2..  just buy it msrp..

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 18:21:28 »
Arduino is great for robotic stuff, but it's not a great "computer" or anything needing real computing power or, more importantly, bandwidth. If you want it to move something or turn something on, Arduino is fine, especially in cases where once setup you will never mess with it ever again. That said, the way you have to compile and upload firmware for minor changes is a real pain in the neck and can make troubleshooting a very, very time consuming affair since you have to edit, compile, upload test, and repeat. While still great for certain things, in terms of capabilities, they are a bit dated.

I have no experience with Elecrow, but looking at it, it may be newer and/or more capable than the Arduino, but the Pi still has advantages.

Pi works well for things like what you want to do. It can be used as a computer, has lots of IO ports, tons of expandability and has FAR, FAR more computing power. While troubleshooting an Arduino is a hassle, the Pi is easy, you can connect a mouse, keyboard and monitor and directly edit anything in real time. One major benefit to the Pi, if you decide this whole thing is just a bad idea, the Pi can still be used for other things, like a cheap web browser or file server.

TL/DR
An easier way to look at all of this is that the Pi is a computer with a controller system, the others are simple controllers. If you lose interest in this project, the others will be worthless and sit in a junk drawer while the Pi can be repurposed in far more ways.

I agree with TP, most of this stuff is too cheap to bother with Massdrop.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 19:57:40 »
I was kinda leaning towards the Pi from a general purpose computing sense anyway.

However they are (in Australia anyway) somewhat more expensive than the other solutions, and all of them are generally less easy to acquire down here.

The NodeMCU apparently has Lua baked into it, which I started to learn a while back and which has prompted the decision, although Lua could be run on the Pi too.

The kits include lots of sensors, such as temperature, proximity, light, which just plug into the main controller board.  This simplicity is a plus.  Haven't seen as many simple pluggable sensors for the Pi.

tp4's suggestion is good - a NodeMCU plus temperature sensor might be sufficiently cheap to put one in each of a few rooms, whereas a Pi could be used for more intensive things, like service status and data aggregation from the NodeMCUs.

Perhaps a combination of the two/three units would be the way to go.

Thanks for the comments so far - any further input is welcome :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline llisandro

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 22:11:13 »
Ditto what Leslieann said.
I've got a couple boards, and my best advice is don't be lured by slightly more powerful, but less common boards. It's all about the ecosystem and support, stick with the big brands like RPi and Arduino.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 07:19:30 »
Currently using one Raspberry Pi 3 model B and am definitely getting one more, probably two more though if I'm honest with myself. :D
They are amazing little machines that are useful for all kinds of (small) projects.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 19:55:30 »
Can anyone recommend a plug-and-play temperature sensor for the RPi please?

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 10:06:49 »

From my very limited experience with rpi temperature sensors, the DS18B20 is the fan favorite.

To answer your original question, yeah I think rasberry pi's will be best for your needs. Arduinos are usually purpose built controllers for robotics or simple circuits etc. In this case, the RPI will have a more general use case, and will allows you to do a winder range of tasks .. because .. let's be real, no one sets these up and leaves them. I'm always moving mine around to new tasks.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 13:10:55 »

From my very limited experience with rpi temperature sensors, the DS18B20 is the fan favorite.

To answer your original question, yeah I think rasberry pi's will be best for your needs. Arduinos are usually purpose built controllers for robotics or simple circuits etc. In this case, the RPI will have a more general use case, and will allows you to do a winder range of tasks .. because .. let's be real, no one sets these up and leaves them. I'm always moving mine around to new tasks.

Great - thanks for that :)

In case anyone else is following this, I found this link: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruits-raspberry-pi-lesson-11-ds18b20-temperature-sensing/hardware

Offline Altis

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 14:19:25 »
I have a Pi and Arduino clone (Elegoo MEGA 2560 R3).

From what I can tell, the Arduino is for stand-alone purposes (often called a 'Microcontroller') while the Pi is better suited for things on a network since it's effectively a little Linux desktop with all kinds of IO connectivity.

Sounds like the Pi is what you're looking for.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 19:54:29 »
I have a Pi and Arduino clone (Elegoo MEGA 2560 R3).

From what I can tell, the Arduino is for stand-alone purposes (often called a 'Microcontroller') while the Pi is better suited for things on a network since it's effectively a little Linux desktop with all kinds of IO connectivity.

Sounds like the Pi is what you're looking for.

Yes, although for my initial use case (environment sensor/logging) either would suffice.

However the Pi does allow for considerably more reuse options.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 20:18:35 »
I recently discovered the Onion Omega2.

https://onion.io/omega2/

Runs LEDE (Linux, a fork of OpenWRT - https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-quick-start/start), and has connectivity similar to RPi.

It's also considerably cheaper than a Pi - costs around $60 for a RPi but only $15 for an Omega2Plus (the "Plus" has more memory, more storage and a microSD slot).

For my purposes an Omega2 would be more than sufficient.

Anyone used these?

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 20:30:23 »
Alot of it comes down to support as well.

It might well be just as good, or even better,   but if you're going to be debugging something..  There's going to be loads more help available and other PEOPLE who know what's going on you can ask for a Pi,  rather than a lesser ubiquitous kit..

If you're uber tech-savvy,  this might not affect you..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 03:11:40 »
Alot of it comes down to support as well.

It might well be just as good, or even better,   but if you're going to be debugging something..  There's going to be loads more help available and other PEOPLE who know what's going on you can ask for a Pi,  rather than a lesser ubiquitous kit..

If you're uber tech-savvy,  this might not affect you..

I don't know about support, but their tutorials are excellent!

Rowdy is moderately tech-savvy.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 04:24:58 »
I recently discovered the Onion Omega2.

Anyone used these?
Once again, yes, it may be cheaper, but with the way these are designed, by the time you outfit it the same as a Pi, you will have spent more. There is no vid port, no ethernet port, no usb port...

But you don't need everything on the Pi, for now.
If you later decide  to repurpose the Omega, you will be spending more, IF parts are to be found. What if the 3 is out by then and not interchangeable?

Here is another thing you may want to consider, you can connect a mouse, keyboard and monitor right to a pi and troubleshoot. Arduino, you make a change, compile code, upload, then cross your fingers that you fixed it. No? Make a change, recompile code and try again.

I've used Arduino on 3d printers then switched to Smoothie and Raspberry Pi, Smoothie uses a single, plain text config file, Pi you can diagnose it directly, you might not think it's a big deal, but I tell you what, it is a world of difference. I really, really hate trying to troubleshoot Arduino. You can spend as much time trying to get the firmware to flash as you spend diagnosing it, Smoothie and pi you pull the card and edit a file and or connect direct. The same goes for connections, their claim to fame is being cheap, problem is, it's not hard to see why it's cheap, they stripped it of everything. I'd much rather spend a little more and just get a Pi, rather than trying to solder a usb connection, HDMI port or ethernet port to that thing. It's just not worth the hassle

I know quite a few people with Arduinos, LOTS of them, and most get used once then shoved in a box. It's a single use controller. This will be the same because once you solder some connections you sure aren't going to want to deal with it again.

Also, $60 for a Pi?
I know you pay more in Australia, but they retail for $35 here and you can sometimes find the Zero for $5, which has usb and hdmi built in.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 11:16:02 »
Arduino, Elecrow and Raspberry Pi

ahh yes, the three legendary bird Pokemon

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 11:43:23 »

Hahahaha

articuno and zapdos works

But Raspberry pi = Moltres is a stretch

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 20:13:06 »
Some excellent points - thank you for spending the time to provide such a comprehensive response.

Once again, yes, it may be cheaper, but with the way these are designed, by the time you outfit it the same as a Pi, you will have spent more. There is no vid port, no ethernet port, no usb port...

I don't need all the functionality of a Pi, really.  Don't need a video port (haven't got an HDMI-enabled monitor anyway), and the Omega has WiFi built-in.  You can get an expansion dock (couple of USB ports, power/reset switches, header) for AUD$17, and even an ethernet expansion dock for AUD$17.

But you don't need everything on the Pi, for now.
If you later decide  to repurpose the Omega, you will be spending more, IF parts are to be found. What if the 3 is out by then and not interchangeable?

My initial use cases are simple - first off simply monitoring temperature in my computer room.  The second would be to control a bunch of LEDs.  Not much beyond that.  if I ever needed to extend one of them, and a version 3 was available, at that price I'd probably just get a 3 plus whatever I needed to make it useful.

Here is another thing you may want to consider, you can connect a mouse, keyboard and monitor right to a pi and troubleshoot. Arduino, you make a change, compile code, upload, then cross your fingers that you fixed it. No? Make a change, recompile code and try again.

I've used Arduino on 3d printers then switched to Smoothie and Raspberry Pi, Smoothie uses a single, plain text config file, Pi you can diagnose it directly, you might not think it's a big deal, but I tell you what, it is a world of difference. I really, really hate trying to troubleshoot Arduino. You can spend as much time trying to get the firmware to flash as you spend diagnosing it, Smoothie and pi you pull the card and edit a file and or connect direct. The same goes for connections, their claim to fame is being cheap, problem is, it's not hard to see why it's cheap, they stripped it of everything. I'd much rather spend a little more and just get a Pi, rather than trying to solder a usb connection, HDMI port or ethernet port to that thing. It's just not worth the hassle

As above, I'm unlikely to use the full functionality of a Pi.  I have gone through the cluster of computers phase, and come out the other side with one small server running Linux, which does almost everything I need.  I have a second server on standby for the rare occasions when I need an MSSQL server, but even that database runs on Linux now.

So my use cases don't require super-powerful processors, heaps of RAM, or lots of connectivity - simple WiFi and ssh will suffice.

As for troubleshooting, I've probably spent more time troubleshooting things via command line than most people have in a GUI, and it's usually a lot easier.  My use cases wouldn't require much troubleshooting, anyway.  And anything that arises beyond that would be an interesting learning experience.

I know quite a few people with Arduinos, LOTS of them, and most get used once then shoved in a box. It's a single use controller. This will be the same because once you solder some connections you sure aren't going to want to deal with it again.

Solder?  Nah - just use the expansion dock, like a Pi.  I already have a bunch of breadboard wires, and also a couple of breadboards.  All I'd need is the expansion dock.

Also, $60 for a Pi?
I know you pay more in Australia, but they retail for $35 here and you can sometimes find the Zero for $5, which has usb and hdmi built in.

Yes, it sucks trying to buy technology down here sometimes.  If you can't get one for $2 from China, then you end up paying top dollar.

https://www.littlebirdelectronics.com.au/raspberry-pi-3~38194

AUD$52.36, and that's just for a bare Pi 3 Model B.  On top of that is a power adapter (about AUD$20) and memory card (AUD$24.94 which includes NOOBS).

Even a Pi Zero W is AUD$20:

https://www.littlebirdelectronics.com.au/raspberry-pi-zero-w

So this Omega2+ for $15 is tempting.  Even including the expansion dock it only comes to AUD$32.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 20:54:25 »
Why would you buy a prebuilt install of Noobs, it takes like 5 minutes to install on any card.
Same for power, who doesn't have an old cell phone charger, and if not, China does for $2.

Also have you not considered a Pi Zero?
Seems to have more connections than even the Omega, and it's cheaper and smaller in size.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:50:04 »
Why would you buy a prebuilt install of Noobs, it takes like 5 minutes to install on any card.
Same for power, who doesn't have an old cell phone charger, and if not, China does for $2.

Also have you not considered a Pi Zero?
Seems to have more connections than even the Omega, and it's cheaper and smaller in size.

I'd have to buy an SD card - I've never had any reason to collect them.

I have a box full of power bricks.  I tried to find a working one recently, one was dead, one was alarmingly hot, one was buzzing, and one worked (of those that actually had the right plug on them).  Most are at least 5 years old.  Not sure I'd trust a chinese one ...

As above, a Pi Zero W would cost me $20, or $21 with header soldered on (Omega2+ is $15).  Pi PSU is $18 (looks like it needs a microUSB plug - I do not have any PSU with that).

Shopping list would be:

Omega2+ $15
expansion dock $17
total: $32

Raspberry Pi Zero W with headers $21
PSU $18
4GB SD card $13 (from the same vendor for simplicity)
total: $52

Still cheaper, although I do appreciate the Pi's ecosystem and support.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 18:29:44 »
Don't buy a cheapo sdcard..   Check out Tp4's SD card guide in the Sig.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 19:50:43 »

I wouldn't want the SD card to cost more than the computer!

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 21:57:38 »

Would you use a computer without an SSD ?

A slow SD card relative to a "fast" one is ON PAR with that kind of difference.

Cheapie sd cards are mind numbing-ly slow

You have been warned. !!

190133-0

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 23:01:43 »

Would you use a computer without an SSD ?

A slow SD card relative to a "fast" one is ON PAR with that kind of difference.

Cheapie sd cards are mind numbing-ly slow

You have been warned. !!

(Attachment Link)

None of my computers have SSD.

So there.

The Raspberry Pi is not so blindingly fast that a really fast and expensive SD card is going to make much difference, if any.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 09:14:59 »

None of my computers have SSD.

So there.

The Raspberry Pi is not so blindingly fast that a really fast and expensive SD card is going to make much difference, if any.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 02:51:54 »
A good sdcard is a bit overkill as the bus on these can't really carry that much data anyway.

However, I am with TP about the SSD... I just can't.
My advice, forget this whole project and buy an ssd for your computer instead.  :))
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 03:06:57 »

The best comment in this thread!  ;D ;D ;D
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 19:58:30 »
A good sdcard is a bit overkill as the bus on these can't really carry that much data anyway.

My advice, forget this whole project and buy an ssd for your computer instead.  :))

Ahaha.

Ahahahaha.

But that would not satisfy the evil genius in me, the need to tinker with things, to boldly wade through the mire of uncertainty on a path untrodden.  Although that might be a bit of an exaggeration as I'm looking for a cheap and simple off-the-shelf solution.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 02:23:13 »

Ahaha.

Ahahahaha.

But that would not satisfy the evil genius in me, the need to tinker with things, to boldly wade through the mire of uncertainty on a path untrodden.  Although that might be a bit of an exaggeration as I'm looking for a cheap and simple off-the-shelf solution.

AT any point,  where YOU wait for the Computer,  instead of the other way around,

You are quite literally THROWING YOUR LIFE AWAY...

That's certainly hypocritical of me to say as #Gekhakr and #Ronery4ever Chairman,   

Alas, $200 today will save you THOUSANDS of hours of WAITING for the computer to load stuff.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 03:31:55 »

Ahaha.

Ahahahaha.

AT any point,  where YOU wait for the Computer,  instead of the other way around,

You are quite literally THROWING YOUR LIFE AWAY...

That's certainly hypocritical of me to say as #Gekhakr and #Ronery4ever Chairman,   

Alas, $200 today will save you THOUSANDS of hours of WAITING for the computer to load stuff.

I've been waiting for computers most of my life.

From a unit test quite that takes nearly 10 minutes to run, a compile that takes 2 or 3 minutes, a software update check that takes up to 5 minutes, reports that take 30 seconds, file transfers that take up to an hour, I wait.

My ideal is a computer that responds to any query or request within 2 seconds.

Hahahahahaha, right?

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 04:05:25 »

From a unit test quite that takes nearly 10 minutes to run, a compile that takes 2 or 3 minutes, a software update check that takes up to 5 minutes, reports that take 30 seconds, file transfers that take up to an hour, I wait.

Hahahahahaha, right?

You'd need a whole cluster for something like that.

Offline Altis

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 11:17:17 »

Hahahahahaha, right?

+1000.

There's little excuse for delays in modern computing. Things that used to be fast are slower today, even.

Most of my waiting occurs from UI delays. iOS is the absolute worst for it with its input-blocking during/after every single animation (ie. after every single input).

Slow web pages and software due to "fancy" looking UI that runs slowly and just gets in the way is the norm these days and for some reason, everyone just accepts it.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Kavik

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 15:32:24 »

Hahahahahaha, right?

+1000.

There's little excuse for delays in modern computing. Things that used to be fast are slower today, even.

Most of my waiting occurs from UI delays. iOS is the absolute worst for it with its input-blocking during/after every single animation (ie. after every single input).

Slow web pages and software due to "fancy" looking UI that runs slowly and just gets in the way is the norm these days and for some reason, everyone just accepts it.

It's amazing to me how programmers used to come up with very clever ways of programming to make a program work with very specific amounts of memory, but now RAM is not even a consideration, among other things. The bloat that's in programs, webpages etc. today is ridiculous, I agree.

FWIW, I have a Raspberry Pi B version 1 (I bought it right before the updated model because the designers used to say it would never be revised), and I've never used it for anything.  :)) I used it as a video game emulator a little bit, but then I realized I have a full sized desktop computer right in front of me that would perform better.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 20:04:59 »

Hahahahahaha, right?

+1000.

It's amazing to me how programmers used to come up with very clever ways of programming to make a program work with very specific amounts of memory, but now RAM is not even a consideration, among other things. The bloat that's in programs, webpages etc. today is ridiculous, I agree.

FWIW, I have a Raspberry Pi B version 1 (I bought it right before the updated model because the designers used to say it would never be revised), and I've never used it for anything.  :)) I used it as a video game emulator a little bit, but then I realized I have a full sized desktop computer right in front of me that would perform better.

I've reached the stage with servers where I'll set one up, then wonder what I'm actually going to do with it.

So I have reduced my server farm to 2 servers, one of which is not on most of the time.

The Pi (or whatever) has a very specific function, so something small and low-powered is preferred.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 17:47:01 »
A great article summarising some of the Raspberry Pi altenatives available now:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/what-are-the-best-raspberry-pi-alternatives-everything-you-need-to-know-about-pi-rivals/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=topic+optin&utm_campaign=awareness

I still haven't got one, but decided to get a Pi when the dust settles and I have more time and money to actually do something with it.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 22:10:06 »
Subscribing for future updates  :thumb:

Might have to grab a few for pdf/dotfile backups, light compiling, music, and other light duty/low power/low heat computing tasks.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 25 September 2018, 05:59:03 »
I read about the ATtiny85 in a local electronics magazine.  It is basically an Arduino in an 8 pin DIP.

Unfortunately it didn't have enough i/o pins for me, so I looked at the ATtiny84, which is the same but in a 14 pin DIP.

I ended up getting 4 of those and an Arduino Uno R3 for this project.  A RPi would have been more flexible, and is still on my wish list, but for this project I'm probably going to end up with a few of these things with some LEDs attached around the place, and the lower the cost the better.

The ATtiny worked out at about $4 each, I already have (too many?) LEDs and resistors, most of what I need at absolutely minimal cost.

Maybe one day I'll actually get a RPi and drive the whole lot from there instead of trying to get them to drive each other.