Author Topic: [IC] JTK Red Riot [GB MAY 1]  (Read 42499 times)

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
Re: [IC] GMK Red Riot (red blanks)
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 09:37:10 »
im hoping this can be like $75.... i think stormtrooper barebones was $100 at 150 moq, wasnt it?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 12:30:34 »
im hoping this can be like $75.... i think stormtrooper barebones was $100 at 150 moq, wasnt it?

That's the dream, but there's a lot in this kit.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 13:04:11 »
looks nice, would be hard to turn down if it includes the translucent RED key  :thumb:

Have you gotten your hands on a JTK set for a comparison? They seem pretty similar

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 13:14:55 »
looks nice, would be hard to turn down if it includes the translucent RED key  :thumb:

Have you gotten your hands on a JTK set for a comparison? They seem pretty similar

the finish on JTK sets isn't as nice as GMK sets, in my opinion
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 19:07:57 »
only cuz i found it randomly.... P3 next to RO2

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 04:37:28 »

Show Image

I can confirm that photo is too saturated (I have the color samples). But it doesn't dethrone RO2 as the reddest GMK stock color for now, and that's why I choose RO2 for GMK Mondrian.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 11:36:59 »

Show Image

I can confirm that photo is too saturated (I have the color samples). But it doesn't dethrone RO2 as the reddest GMK stock color for now, and that's why I choose RO2 for GMK Mondrian.

I chose based on hex values

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 09:57:28 »
GMK hasn't emailed back. I suspect I got lost in the holiday rush. I'll try again in the new year.

Offline BOK

• i,m fine
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 05:46:41 »
GMK hasn't emailed back. I suspect I got lost in the holiday rush. I'll try again in the new year.
Any update from GMK?

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 06:37:32 »
I'm not usually the guy going in ICs and criticizing things but I hope you get this criticism as constructive, as a respectable user you are. 

I don't really get this type of sets, first of all BLANKS with GMK doesn't make much sense, even if a GMK cap is top notch you still usually go for them for their awesome doubleshot, because for blanks we have other options, imho doesn't make sense due the GMK price to go for ABS blanks.  Plus to this you are adding a strict color, something that you probably know is not for everyone, without even mentioning the uniform color (nothing particularly great). 

I honestly kinda doubt we should run these sets via GMK, pretty hard to hit the MOQ if it will be 150 as usual and even if the MOQ will be lower because they are blank or for whatever reason, the price will still be ridiculous for what it is (thick abs blanks caps). Mondrian was like $80 if i remember correctly and this should be more expensive than Mondrian, I would say around $90-100

The only thing in the set that i think could push people to buy it, is probably the R4C, but still i doubt it might happen at a 150 MOQ. 

Also, if thick ABS blank caps is what you want, as another user suggested you might really want to go for JTK for half of the price of the set (at that price more people might be interested), since with JTK the biggest problem are the legends, while the cap himself is more or less the same thng (yeah i saw you said the finish on JTK sets isn't as nice as GMK sets, i just don't agree with that statement). 

Just my 2 cents, please don't take it personal.     

« Last Edit: Thu, 04 January 2018, 06:51:56 by KaosJ »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 10:25:34 »
Any update from GMK?

Sorry, BOK. Nothing yet. I emailed them at the beginning of the week.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 January 2018, 10:32:43 by Puddsy »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 10:31:26 »

I don't really get this type of sets, first of all BLANKS with GMK doesn't make much sense, even if a GMK cap is top notch you still usually go for them for their awesome doubleshot, because for blanks we have other options, imho doesn't make sense due the GMK price to go for ABS blanks.  Plus to this you are adding a strict color, something that you probably know is not for everyone, without even mentioning the uniform color (nothing particularly great). 

there's nothing to get, it's thick ABS blanks

i like the way GMK feels, but i don't like the way most legends look

PBT blanks wouldn't come out the right color

I honestly kinda doubt we should run these sets via GMK, pretty hard to hit the MOQ if it will be 150 as usual and even if the MOQ will be lower because they are blank or for whatever reason, the price will still be ridiculous for what it is (thick abs blanks caps). Mondrian was like $80 if i remember correctly and this should be more expensive than Mondrian, I would say around $90-100

i think many people would pay $100 for a set like this

The only thing in the set that i think could push people to buy it, is probably the R4C, but still i doubt it might happen at a 150 MOQ.

also ISO

Also, if thick ABS blank caps is what you want, as another user suggested you might really want to go for JTK for half of the price of the set (at that price more people might be interested), since with JTK the biggest problem are the legends, while the cap himself is more or less the same thng (yeah i saw you said the finish on JTK sets isn't as nice as GMK sets, i just don't agree with that statement). 

if you can find me JTK's contact info, i'll run it as JTK

i've been looking for nearly two months now with no dice

but JTK is kinda crap, though. i don't know if they can do blanks, and i think their MOQ is higher than GMK's

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 11:08:25 »

That's the point where i disagree, I doubt there can be 150 people wiling to spend $100+ for that (also checkout previous Mondrian) 

but JTK is kinda crap, though. i don't know if they can do blanks, and i think their MOQ is higher than GMK's

For JTK, you might want to contact zF for this (to get the contact of JTK or to run it through zF), if what you tried is to deal directly with JTK contacting them, i doubt this will work. 
i'll PM you the mail. 

Honestly no i think JTK caps are very good if you don't care about legends, basically GMK with some dumb legends somewhere.   

Also, remember to add various proxy in many regions for this, that's actually the only way to hope to reach the MOQ on a Blank GMK set. 

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 11:10:31 »

That's the point where i disagree, I doubt there can be 150 people wiling to spend $100+ for that (also checkout previous Mondrian) 

For JTK, you might want to contact zF for this (to get the contact of JTK or to run it through zF), if what you tried is to deal directly with JTK contacting them, i doubt this will work. 
i'll PM you the mail. 

Honestly no i think JTK caps are very good if you don't care about legends, basically GMK with some dumb legends somewhere.   

Also, remember to add various proxy in many regions for this, that's actually the only way to hope to reach the MOQ on a Blank GMK set.

zF didn't reply to my emails, i tried 4 times

and i have proxies behind the scenes

just not saying anything until i know if i'm actually running the set or not

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 11:11:36 »

i'll PM you the mail. 

zF didn't reply to my emails, i tried 4 times

and i have proxies behind the scenes

just not saying anything until i know if i'm actually running the set or not

PM'd 

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 07:52:33 »
GOOD NEWS!

Woke up to an email from GMK. It's very much looking like we'll be able to run this set for close to $100. MOQ 100.

Also, the windowed keys will feature red tinted windows instead of normal clear ones.

I'll speak to my vendors next and let you know about final pricing soon.

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 08:10:42 »
That's great news, Puddsy!
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 08:20:01 »
Thanks! I'm really excited about this again, haha.

That price includes GMK trays, by the way.

I have an EU proxy lined up already, I'll work this week on getting a KR, CN, and possibly a SEA proxy as well. Are there any other region proxies you guys would like to see?

I'll keep you guys updated.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 08:21:52 »
That’s a damn good price!!

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 08:23:32 »
GOOD NEWS!

Woke up to an email from GMK. It's very much looking like we'll be able to run this set for close to $100. MOQ 100.

Also, the windowed keys will feature red tinted windows instead of normal clear ones.

I'll speak to my vendors next and let you know about final pricing soon.

Nice

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 08:32:25 »
That’s a damn good price!!

There's a chance it ends up at like $105, but for 138 keys that's pretty good.

EDIT: I forgot about taxes, so it's gonna go up a bit. Should still be reasonable, though. Low $100 range for sure.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 January 2018, 09:09:14 by Puddsy »

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 09:29:52 »
will you be offering a blue alpha kit and a green mod kit?

Offline ___q

« Reply #72 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 09:58:27 »

This is a very nice touch.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 11:13:15 »
will you be offering a blue alpha kit and a green mod kit?

I know you're joking, but a blue set and a green set are planned if this does well.

This is a very nice touch.

Thanks. That's part of what took GMK so long to reply, they were checking to see if that could be done. I think it'll look really nice.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 January 2018, 11:15:49 by Puddsy »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 12:35:25 »
Oh, and since I know people will ask, price is looking like $110 for NA at 100 sets. Price break to $100 at 150 sets.

Price for other regions may/will be higher due to taxes and stuff. Full price list coming as I flesh out the proxies.

I didn't think about taxes and margins in my initial estimate, and that price is with those factored in.

I'm planning on launching the GB in the second week of February, working on getting a concrete date. Might be moved back depending on proxies and other boring behind the scenes stuff.

If any of you know of a vendor who might be interested in proxying for your region, feel free to let me know so I can get in touch with them. I already have an EU vendor confirmed, and I'm working out terms with my NA vendor.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 January 2018, 13:08:29 by Puddsy »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 14:14:44 »
This just might be the set to go on my MAO white canoe with the red plate.  Will buy

Offline schmoktopus

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 15:16:24 »
Please consider Candykeys as a European vendor, I think they would be happy to do that.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 16:19:40 »
Please consider Candykeys as a European vendor, I think they would be happy to do that.

The EU proxy will be Caps Unlocked.

Mostly looking for vendors in China or Australia right now.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 January 2018, 17:12:53 by Puddsy »

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 07:03:24 »

The EU proxy will be Caps Unlocked.

Mostly looking for vendors in China or Australia right now.

I am honoured to be the EU proxy for this set. I look forward to making this set available to customers in the EU, and helping to reach the MOQ!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
Re: [IC] GMK Red Riot (GB starts 3/5)
« Reply #79 on: Sun, 14 January 2018, 21:16:15 »
GB starts 3/5

i got some more renders coming to whet the appetite a bit

Offline frostbyte-gaming

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 14 January 2018, 21:18:53 »
GB starts 3/5

Ooo the hype is real. Gonna have to mark this one down in my calendar.  :thumb:

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #81 on: Sun, 14 January 2018, 21:28:28 »
GB starts 3/5

Ooo the hype is real. Gonna have to mark this one down in my calendar.  :thumb:

Make sure you put extra money away too, there may be options to bundle it with the CU-75 from Caps Unlocked

it's gonna be real good

working on finalizing other proxies and vendors, should have updates on that this week

trying to sort as much out as i can before school starts again 1/21

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 14 January 2018, 21:52:39 »
wondering if GMK is thinking what I am thinking. Shine thought key's that look blank. Have the key's lets say red and then have a clear double shot insert thats the same color red. It wouldn't obviously be completely unnoticeable but would be pretty darn hidden.. and when the keyboard's on I expect it to make a nice impression. Thais the case Puddsy might have stumbled on to a new key cap design for everyone to enjoy. I like the idea of this just not sure where and if i ever use red keycap set.. who knows Thought the CU-75 looks nice guessing it be offered in colors that compliment the red caps nicely.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #83 on: Sun, 14 January 2018, 21:57:22 »
wondering if GMK is thinking what I am thinking. Shine thought key's that look blank. Have the key's lets say red and then have a clear double shot insert thats the same color red. It wouldn't obviously be completely unnoticeable but would be pretty darn hidden.. and when the keyboard's on I expect it to make a nice impression. Thais the case Puddsy might have stumbled on to a new key cap design for everyone to enjoy. I like the idea of this just not sure where and if i ever use red keycap set.. who knows Thought the CU-75 looks nice guessing it be offered in colors that compliment the red caps nicely.

i asked about this as well

translucent plastics don't look anything like opaque plastics, it couldn't be done in a way that i'd want

plus, the legends would have cross-hatching in them because of how the doubleshot process works

it is a nice idea though

take a look at the cherry replica set/smallfry set for more info

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 15 January 2018, 17:49:49 »
Hyped to hear this has a date! 
Now for that gloss black planck hipro to exist

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #85 on: Mon, 15 January 2018, 19:12:37 »
**** it why not. I'll get one from EU proxy.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 15 January 2018, 20:40:52 »

good man

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 15 January 2018, 21:12:15 »

good man

If I can snag one of those red n White Keycult No.1's to go with this... that's gonna be hot. - NVM they're not red n white, they're red n silver. Whatevs, still buying the caps.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 January 2018, 03:43:04 by futurecrime »

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 15 January 2018, 21:53:27 »
Any chance you could add a coupe accent blanks just for esc and enter. Even as another kit. I was just thinking like on a red keyboard, a black esc, enter, space would look really nice.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 15 January 2018, 22:12:25 »
Any chance you could add a coupe accent blanks just for esc and enter. Even as another kit. I was just thinking like on a red keyboard, a black esc, enter, space would look really nice.

if i wasn't worried about this set making MOQ i would

but i'm worried about the base making 100 sets, i don't think an accent kit would make it

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 15 January 2018, 22:47:04 »

if i wasn't worried about this set making MOQ i would

but i'm worried about the base making 100 sets, i don't think an accent kit would make it

Hmmm. Fair enough.

The 1u keys aren’t really even the problem. I figure those could be sold in sets of like 2ea R1/4 and 1ea R2/3. Then hitting 100 moq isn’t so bad cause people can buy more than one. But with mods they will be much harder to manage. I guess I’ll just have to hope hkp does another round of blanks in colors that could work.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #91 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 00:40:42 »

i asked about this as well

translucent plastics don't look anything like opaque plastics, it couldn't be done in a way that i'd want

plus, the legends would have cross-hatching in them because of how the doubleshot process works

it is a nice idea though

take a look at the cherry replica set/smallfry set for more info

Thanks Puddsy will do!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #92 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 00:04:30 »
krelbit of swtichmod.net had hineybush make some renders on his MEME 65%

higher res versions in the OP

also yeah switchmod.net will the the US vendor for this set

still working out final pricing
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 January 2018, 00:14:06 by Puddsy »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 00:44:32 »
what in the heck is a meme65?  is this a prototype or something that I am just unaware of?

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #94 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 00:46:29 »
what in the heck is a meme65?  is this a prototype or something that I am just unaware of?

I don't think there is a prototype yet, but I want one, and I suspect many others will want one as well. I think it's gonna be a super limited run tho.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #95 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 00:47:14 »

krelbit's board that he's working on

not sure when the GB is gonna be, i'll ask him

sometimes known as the penisboard because he put that on the original CAD file

I don't think there is a prototype yet, but I want one, and I suspect many others will want one as well. I think it's gonna be a super limited run tho.

correct on all counts

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #96 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 01:26:59 »

krelbit's board that he's working on

not sure when the GB is gonna be, i'll ask him

sometimes known as the penisboard because he put that on the original CAD file

correct on all counts

Yea I did the meme65 design, the original one had penis on the badge lol.

Sorry that RO2 looks so ****ty in those renders btw, was just doing it for krelbit so he can see how it looks w/ caps on the case. I really need to work on my shading/lighting in Keyshot

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #97 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 13:06:24 »
GMK Render:

In an interesting turn of events, JTK actually reached out to me about producing blank sets. The pricing they gave was REALLY good, but they don't quite have the compat and color I want for this set specifically. They also can't do the translucent cap, which I really want. All future blank sets I do will probably be JTK, though. They gave me a really good quote.

Also, my NA vendor is Switchmod.net, pricing from them will be $120, with a price break to $115 at 150 sets. I didn't get pricing from GMK past 150 sets, since I don't think we'll sell more than that.

I'm still working out a Chinese proxy.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 January 2018, 13:12:36 by Puddsy »

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #98 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 18:02:02 »
I'm hoping for an EU proxy, but wonder sometimes if it's cheaper to order from China anyway, cos China stuff seems to bypass customs in the UK.

Have you compared JTK to GMK? I'm sceptical but I'm down if it holds up. Just can't stomach settling for second best.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #99 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 23:32:00 »
I'm hoping for an EU proxy, but wonder sometimes if it's cheaper to order from China anyway, cos China stuff seems to bypass customs in the UK.

Have you compared JTK to GMK? I'm sceptical but I'm down if it holds up. Just can't stomach settling for second best.

Caps unlocked is the EU proxy.

JTK for blanks isn't quite as good as GMK (texture differences on new caps -- shine is shine), but GMK can also do a few more things than JTK (translucent plastics, R4C caps, and a few other minor things). I want a few specific things for this set that JTK can't do, since it's always been a bit of a dream for me.