Author Topic: [IC]Espectro - 96 - $290CAD - GROUP BUY LIVE!  (Read 21536 times)

Offline JMD

• All we want is happiness.
    • Mech Keys
[IC]Espectro - 96 - $290CAD - GROUP BUY LIVE!
« on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 04:51:20 »
HEY EVERYONE! GROUP BUY IS LIVE - THOUGHT I'D UPDATE YOU ALL.
https://mechkeys.ca/products/espectro?variant=3309440565272

Please check the link for all pertinent group buy information =) Thanks.

Hey everyone! I'm back with another keyboard!

Meet Espectro.

It's a 96 Key, with a one of a kind unique design modelled by none other than myself, and mr. Koob. We have collaborated on this design to bring a brand new and unique perspective, as well as experience for those out there who wish to have a compact 96 :)

Let me preface this by saying this keyboard was designed with purpose. 

1) I designed the front to have a swooping chin/curve. I want this keyboard to invite you into it, to bring your eyes in and onto your keyset, your artisans. I wanted the back and sides to have a gradual flow from soft to hard. The angles at the back provide an elegant aggressiveness that compliments the supple curve at the front.

2) I love rgb. I however, do not love seeing a thick acrylic layer between the metal of the case. Nor do I like to see that when the keyboard rgb has been powered off. The reason this is designed with the poly carbonate base, is to have RGB be an accessory. Not the full feature of the board. When the rgb on this is turned off, you will not be able to directly tell that it does in fact have RGB. I catered to two crowds with this design. Those who love rgb, and those who hate it.

3) Not only does the curve at the front provide the user with elegant styling not seen before, it also gives your thumbs somewhere nice and smooth to rest. As I type this on my FC980C, my left non-dominant thumb is resting on a sharp, hard edge. It's uncomfortable, I can't wait to be resting it on an Espectro Prototype.

The quick and dirty details  :p

• 5 Degree Angle
  • Aluminum & Polycarbonate Construction. CNC Milled
  • Top Mount Plate
  • QMK Powered
  • Poly Carbonate Base
  • Much RGB
  • Available in a multitude of colors
  • Possibility of Aluminum/Brass/SS Plates

A price point at or lower than 250 USD for a complete kit. I'm keeping the price point on this premium custom one of a kind 96 kit as low as I can, to provide you the consumer, with as much value as possible. The price point at 250USD is not the final price - I still have to make account of the packaging and other items that will be included with this kit - and should they fall under budget, we will see a group buy price under 250USD. I really hope this is fair for you all.
A complete kit entails
  • Case
  • PCB
  • Hardware
  • An extra surprise TBA

Prototype has been ordered, completed and is now shipping to me. Here are some initial photos from my QC agent before he wrapped it up and sent it on it's merry way.

Initial Render created by /Koob

Now the actual product, in purple. (This is the production purple).

Thank you all so much for taking a peek at Espectro! And thank you Koobaczech for all the hours you've spent with me on this project. <3

Once prototype has been received, tested, built, reviewed and enjoyed the GB will launch after an official announcement.

To keep in touch with this project, please use the following resources.

Discord: https://discord.gg/65SRvkQ
Website: https://mechkeys.ca/collections/group-buys/products/espectro

-Dave

January 15 Update:

Alright guys. The moment everyone has been waiting for. Prototype landed - here it is.

Only thing left to do now is to get confirmation from Cerakote gig here in town the prices they want to charge you all for custom colors!

January 26th Update:

Price is $225 USD / $280CAD
Kit Contents still the same
Cerakote will no longer be considered an option. Local cerakoter was unable to work with me on providing samples of their work before committing to using their services.
Release date for groupbuy is Valentines Day.
I will update more as I go along =)
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 February 2018, 01:46:31 by JMD »
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline Koobaczech

• Don't forget to smile :)
    • Pearlboards
Re: [IC]Espectro - 96
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 10:37:12 »
Was so wonderful working on this with you Dave. It looks incredible, and to anyone reading this, we both put a lot of love and thought into the design. Tight bezels, perfect heights, elegant curves, rear engravings, low price, custom pcb with indicator lights, etc. Hope it turns out great, and any issue with the prototype me and Dave will fix right up for you all!

Other things that might have been missed are
-switch top removal support
-split lshift and rshift and backspace
-iso enter
-usb mini
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 December 2017, 10:40:13 by Koobaczech »

Offline cdn-mini

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 10:43:29 »
I appreciate that its 96 but nothing really special.
Seems like it will be on the light side wrt weight, especially with the polycarbonate bottom.
How about a stainless steel or brass body? that would make it special.

Offline ewwgin

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 10:46:49 »
When I saw the Espectro for the first time awhile back, I immediately knew that I am going to buy one. Beautiful design, great price. I can’t wait!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 10:49:42 »
Way to go Dave!!  :thumb:

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 10:50:49 »
Seems like it will be on the light side wrt weight, especially with the polycarbonate bottom.
Funny you mention the weight! When Dave came to me with the idea, he said, I want it nimble like the Halo 2 spectre (espectro)

I think that it wasnt meant to be an incredibly special board, rather a unique and sleek 96 that followed the mechkeys floating RBG style with the lifted polycarb bottoms, at an affordable price for those who want a bigger board :] And of course you get some premium features like the high pro design, top mounted, switch top removal, etc.!
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 December 2017, 10:52:47 by Koobaczech »

Offline woodkeys

• Crafter of quality custom keyboards
    • WoodKeys.click
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 11:09:25 »
This looks great. I may have to pick up a people for my wife.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 11:45:39 »

I hate to be "that guy" but what's the obsession with weight these days? Are you afraid you're gonna push it around whilst typing or do you want it to punch a hole into your desk when you're hitting enter a little harder than usual?

I don't really understand why being on the light side means it's "nothing really special". Design? Features? Price? Integrations? Software? How is none of that relevant but its WEIGHT is what matters? Sorry if I'm coming off as abrasive but this is a pet peeve of mine, the only one I have within the hobby really - the obsession with ridiculous weight levels.

Offline cdn-mini

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 11:49:08 »
It's a man thing, you wouldnt understand. Didnt your parents explain the birds and the bees to you?

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 11:56:29 »
Funny you mention the weight! When Dave came to me with the idea, he said, I want it nimble like the Halo 2 spectre (espectro)
Show Image

I think that it wasnt meant to be an incredibly special board, rather a unique and sleek 96 that followed the mechkeys floating RBG style with the lifted polycarb bottoms, at an affordable price for those who want a bigger board :] And of course you get some premium features like the high pro design, top mounted, switch top removal, etc.!

Well said.  ;D

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 11:57:32 »
It's a man thing, you wouldnt understand. Didnt your parents explain the birds and the bees to you?

Not sure where the condescending tone comes from - are you implying you like to compensate for the fact your **** is small by having a big heavy keyboard? I thought people used cars for that, is this like the budget Walmart version?

I asked a perfectly warranted question but it appears you don't have a reasonable answer so best leave it at this rather than pollute the thread - keyboard looks great, you've been on a roll lately Koob. Looking forward to further developments.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 11:59:00 »
Make the PCB w/ south facing LED's and we might be talking.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline bluesclera

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 12:00:06 »

Not sure where the condescending tone comes from - are you implying you like to compensate for the fact your **** is small by having a big heavy keyboard? I thought people used cars for that, is this like the budget Walmart version?

I asked a perfectly warranted question but it appears you don't have a reasonable answer so best leave it at this rather than pollute the thread - keyboard looks great, you've been on a roll lately Koob. Looking forward to further developments.

Unga Bunga Bunga me like heavy thing too.

Offline cdn-mini

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 12:07:20 »

ι ( ¯ ö¯)ノ i would but you'll just accuse me of mansplaining, i'm just going to let other men chime in.

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 12:41:12 »
Really appreciate it man<3 All these cool things are made together by all of us chiming in! The weight of a board is mostly a totally personal preferance my friend. Some want heavy, some want light. Heavier boards might feel better to type on since its a very solid piece that doesn't move to your typing, and other times some might like carrying a board around and being able to maneuver it on their desk.

I agree with cdn-mini that a weighted board is nice. I love the heavy feel myself. But I appreciate a nimble board too. I love the idea of being able to lift a big 96 with no hassle. I just don't think a heavy board was the intention with Espectro. But alas, this is what the Interest Check is for! You guys need to tell Daveo what you all want to see ;] Nothing is set in stone
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 December 2017, 12:46:57 by Koobaczech »

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 13:11:41 »
Thanks for the replies!

Weight.  I'm sorry, but I do not like to have a keyboard with extra weight's. My number 1 reason is access and availability of my product to as many people as possible. The weights add not only an extra expense to the board, but they also interfere with the design plans I had initially set out to fulfill. A nice solid brass weight will not only add a large cost to the manufacturing side of things, it will add a very large cost to the shipping. And as we all know the consumer pays shipping. I would prefer to have a customer pay only 20CAD to ship their board, vs 50 :D

If people want weight, maybe Koob and I can go ahead and design a SIDE B to go with this SIDE A, so that some of you can go ahead and get that nice solid base :)
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 13:29:50 »
dat bevel

:thumb:

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 13:43:58 »
Thanks for the replies!

Weight.  I'm sorry, but I do not like to have a keyboard with extra weight's. My number 1 reason is access and availability of my product to as many people as possible. The weights add not only an extra expense to the board, but they also interfere with the design plans I had initially set out to fulfill. A nice solid brass weight will not only add a large cost to the manufacturing side of things, it will add a very large cost to the shipping. And as we all know the consumer pays shipping. I would prefer to have a customer pay only 20CAD to ship their board, vs 50 :D

If people want weight, maybe Koob and I can go ahead and design a SIDE B to go with this SIDE A, so that some of you can go ahead and get that nice solid base :)

That would appeal to me as I like heavy things, but I also like RGB. I'd probably even consider buying both bases :P. I totally get your reasoning though. Starting with a weight definitely effects pricing.

I'd also like the idea of a weight in a plastic bottom kinda like the Polycarb TGR-910:

(Obviously that is an unnecessarily large weight), though an actual metal bottom would be cool to. I just like heavy :P.

Offline cdn-mini

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 14:05:01 »
I'll be in if you offer a brass "Side B." Plastic is so bargain-basement.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 14:38:19 »

ok

Offline Gajible

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 14:46:20 »

I too like to state my opinions as fact!

Offline metalliccharles

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 14:49:32 »
Wanted this board since I saw the first pics. Can't wait to see the built prototype! Looks Good Will Buy  :cool:

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 15:31:36 »
I just wanted to re-iterate bro, the ONLY point of the polycarbonate bottom piece is to elevate the board while diffusing RGB lighting and staying hidden, making the board appear like its floating. Its not done as a bargain piece. Cheers!

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 16:25:39 »
Looks great! I assume it will support all the usual 96key layouts? Most importantly to me this one?

Offline cdn-mini

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 16:43:23 »
I just wanted to re-iterate bro, the ONLY point of the polycarbonate bottom piece is to elevate the board while diffusing RGB lighting and staying hidden, making the board appear like its floating. Its not done as a bargain piece. Cheers!

BRO you're telling me you cant achieve the SAME objectives without making the ENTIRE BOTTOM plastic??? It's one thing to cater to the mass market but to pretend it was NOT a cost cutting decision??? Either i'm giving you too much design prowess or you're just an idiot.

Offline Gajible

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 16:51:38 »

BRO you're telling me you cant achieve the SAME objectives without making the ENTIRE BOTTOM plastic??? It's one thing to cater to the mass market but to pretend it was NOT a cost cutting decision??? Either i'm giving you too much design prowess or you're just an idiot.

Cleary the objective isn't weight. They're going for a light/lit board at an affordable price. Perhaps just pass on this one, another more to your liking will surely come along.

Offline woodkeys

• Crafter of quality custom keyboards
    • WoodKeys.click
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 17:07:58 »

Clearly you don't like it, just move along, it's not for you. There are plenty of people who do like it. Referring to polycarbonate as plastic doesn't make it a cheap material. If you have a better idea for a keyboard, perhaps you could design and manufacture it yourself.

Resorting to personal attacks lends nothing to the discussion. I might also suggest you read the rules of this forum.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline bluesclera

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 17:12:27 »

It is a cost cutting decision for sure. I suggest the Kira board for you, it's a high end 99 board due in 2018 maybe?
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 December 2017, 17:16:25 by bluesclera »

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 17:20:50 »

It is a cost cutting decision for sure. I suggest the Kira board for you, it's a high end 99 board due in 2018 maybe?
Let me say by choosing to use a poly carbonate (which is very sturdy) to be cnc milled, as the bottom of the board isn't to just "Cut costs / Cut corners". the reason why it's poly carb (which is very sturdy) is listed in the original post :)

And incase you missed the last reply I made regarding this - I will be exploring an all metal option for the base, for those of you who wish to purchase one so we can all be happy :D
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 December 2017, 17:23:53 by JMD »
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 17:49:22 »
It's sad that we have 2 blatant trolls on this thread but that is the internet. Excited for this but really wish it was south facing switches which IMO is a much more important discussion than whatever the hell is going on above me.

Basically, strap a brick to your **** all you want- it's still 3" :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 December 2017, 17:56:19 by schoolbus »

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 17:56:57 »
It's sad that we have 2 blatant trolls on this thread but that is the internet. Excited for this but really wish it was south facing switches which IMO is a much more important discussion than whatever the hell is going on above me.

Basically, strap a brick to your **** all you want- it's still 3" :)
The switch leds face south, for this pcb.
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 09:43:21 »
This board was not catered to anyone, it was something that Dave and I wanted to make, with a specific look and function. Our design conversations include words like "floating RGB". NOT a cost cutting decision. Milling and anodizing a metal bottom or having a milled polycarbonate bottom piece hardly changes costs. You wouldn't know because your design talent has never amassed anything before, so best keep your mouth shut if you don't have a clue about what you are talking about. We literally had a chuckle at how misinformed you are. You insult yourself lmfao
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 December 2017, 13:29:43 by Koobaczech »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 10:02:38 »
250 is a pretty good deal.

Can you ensure the polycarb won't crack in shipping? Don't want exent 2.0
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 10:06:28 »

You always know your stuff Puddsy! I think any suggestions and recommendations you make are invaluable to any project. Safe packing has been noted, ty!

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 10:23:45 »
Can we see any side corner shots? That curve is the star of the show after all

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 10:36:11 »

You always know your stuff Puddsy! I think any suggestions and recommendations you make are invaluable to any project. Safe packing has been noted, ty!

Ask 27 about his custom boxes for mech27 v2. That should be a good solution, even if it adds $5-10 to the price.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Data

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 10:59:15 »
I like it.  Can't wait to see the prototype.

Any samples of the layouts you intend to support?

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 13:30:17 »

Hey Puddsy thanks for the reply!

Poly carb will not crack. I tested this out by shipping Mechmini 2 with the poly carb screwed in tight, to the case. Nobody received cracked/damaged base from shipping. I think a similar method of shipping should ensure things arrive in one piece with espectro as well.
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 16:12:12 »

Poly carb will not crack. I tested this out by shipping Mechmini 2 with the poly carb screwed in tight, to the case. Nobody received cracked/damaged base from shipping. I think a similar method of shipping should ensure things arrive in one piece with espectro as well.

as far as i can tell, the issue with exent was temperature difference between the screws and the polycarb, not tightness

i'd recommend shipping it unassembled, like is planned for mech27v2

that way it can expand/contract independently

but if your method works then it's no big deal

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 17:12:47 »

as far as i can tell, the issue with exent was temperature difference between the screws and the polycarb, not tightness

i'd recommend shipping it unassembled, like is planned for mech27v2

that way it can expand/contract independently

but if your method works then it's no big deal
I mean, it worked for the MM2. There might be a variance in that due to the large size of the 96's poly carb. It will definitely be a bridge to cross once I'm there!
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline lordgiblite

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 08:48:03 »
This looks amazing, I can't wait to throw my money on the screen lol

I also found it pleasantly humorous reading through this and watching certain people bicker over tedious details and then Puddsy comes in and just straight goes to the important issues  :))

Dave and Koob, you two are rocking it!

...please don't take all my money and leave me poor, wait on your next project ;) ...

Offline Slopes

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 11:00:31 »
Wow that's gorgeous.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline azharkh

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 31 December 2017, 02:17:40 »
yes.

I've been waiting for a 96. Hopefully my wallet won't be murdered.

Offline Woovie

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 31 December 2017, 17:21:00 »
Really excited to get a 3rd 96 style board. Great design.

Offline MacGruber117

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 16:04:43 »
Great price, I'm in
I want to buy your ETF and Garbo Pusses. PM me

Offline mpaarating

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 12:05:25 »
I think this is exactly what I've been hoping to stick Lazer on (once it's received). Can't wait for more updates!

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 13:02:36 »
Definitely gonna be keeping an eye on this one, looks like you guys have done an excellent job designing this from what I've seen so far! Loving the look of the render & pics you have up, would love to see a side shot of that curve  :-* LOL! Also was wondering about how the polycarbonate bottom will fit on the frame? Is it just gonna go flat against the bottom (Like the Red Scarf II+ Ver.C) or is the bottom of the frame recessed to accept it? I recently did a RS build & the way the acrylic sheet just attaches to the bottom of the case isn't the best solution IMO. I think it gives it too much exposure & possible ways to break, which isn't a huge issue with the RS since the bottom only has slits for the backlighting & you can just roll without it if you want. But with the Espectro not having any metal at all on the bottom, I think having the frame milled to accept the polycarb bottom would be nice if it's feasible with your pricing goals. Also I think it would go a long way towards your design goal of having the bottom open for backlighting but not noticeable when it's off.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 January 2018, 13:04:39 by Rob27shred »

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 14:09:31 »

Just saying, Polycarbonate CNC parts are not cheaper as price than Alu CNC, especially on such a thin part (bottom plate). 
Often is even more expensive than Alu due the fail rate with CNC PC.  So the PC is just a choice, it isn't a "cost cutting" decision, the cost will be the same if not higher with PC. 

The design was clearly made to have RGB at the bottom and imho it would have looked bad with Alu at bottom (even if i like full alu keyboards for the weight).     

Said that, if you don't like it just pass, there are and there will be other 96-keebs for you. But really if you are passing because you think that Polycarbonate is soft (it is not) or because you think it is cheaper (it is not), i would suggest to do just some researchs or get some CNC quotes with the 2 materials. 

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 14:42:26 »

Just saying, Polycarbonate CNC parts are not cheaper as price than Alu CNC, especially on such a thin part (bottom plate). 
Often is even more expensive than Alu due the fail rate with CNC PC.  So the PC is just a choice, it isn't a "cost cutting" decision, the cost will be the same if not higher with PC. 

The design was clearly made to have RGB at the bottom and imho it would have looked bad with Alu at bottom (even if i like full alu keyboards for the weight).     

Said that, if you don't like it just pass, there are and there will be other 96-keebs for you. But really if you are passing because you think that Polycarbonate is soft (it is not) or because you think it is cheaper (it is not), i would suggest to do just some researchs or get some CNC quotes with the 2 materials.

You are still missing his question. You can totally make the bottom glow without making the entire bottom plastic. All you need is a difuser around the bottom edges to make it glow the way you want to. There is nothing about your design that is advantageous unless you are just planning to only use the keyboard on glass tables and always view from the bottom.

PC is not soft... until you compare it to metal.

But you are correct, raw PC is MORE expensive than raw aluminum. but I'm pretty sure the machines/bits etc to cut it are WAY WAY cheaper. regardless though, plastic isn't really cheaper until you scale up more and start doing injection molding.

I for one don't mind a plastic bottom as long as I don't have to see it. What I do care about is having a weight, or at least the potential to add a weight. For example, even if you didn't want to include a weight, you could mill holes to mount one inside the case, and then just provide feet to cover the holes if you don't use them.

To me it's just a shame that such a nice looking keyboard won't offer a color matched metal bottom. I'd probably buy both a metal and a pc bottom, but with just PC as an option, I'm juts not sure I can justify the expense.

TBH, you could alleviate most of my concerns by just making a bottom ring of aluminum to clamp the PC to the bottom so you don't see the ugly plastic along the edges. You could still make the bottom stick out deep enough that the glow works the way you want it to, as right now it looks like the PC just screws into the holes along the case edges which means you will likely see the PC and potentially even the screwheads along the edges.

Anyway, I hope it doesn't seem like I'm trying to **** on your idea. I really like the general idea of this KB, I just feel like it's so close to being something way more people would buy with minimal changes. Either way tho, good luck with your GB :D.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 15:44:58 »

You are still missing his question. You can totally make the bottom glow without making the entire bottom plastic. All you need is a difuser around the bottom edges to make it glow the way you want to. There is nothing about your design that is advantageous unless you are just planning to only use the keyboard on glass tables and always view from the bottom.

PC is not soft... until you compare it to metal.

But you are correct, raw PC is MORE expensive than raw aluminum. but I'm pretty sure the machines/bits etc to cut it are WAY WAY cheaper. regardless though, plastic isn't really cheaper until you scale up more and start doing injection molding.

I for one don't mind a plastic bottom as long as I don't have to see it. What I do care about is having a weight, or at least the potential to add a weight. For example, even if you didn't want to include a weight, you could mill holes to mount one inside the case, and then just provide feet to cover the holes if you don't use them.

To me it's just a shame that such a nice looking keyboard won't offer a color matched metal bottom. I'd probably buy both a metal and a pc bottom, but with just PC as an option, I'm juts not sure I can justify the expense.

TBH, you could alleviate most of my concerns by just making a bottom ring of aluminum to clamp the PC to the bottom so you don't see the ugly plastic along the edges. You could still make the bottom stick out deep enough that the glow works the way you want it to, as right now it looks like the PC just screws into the holes along the case edges which means you will likely see the PC and potentially even the screwheads along the edges.

Anyway, I hope it doesn't seem like I'm trying to **** on your idea. I really like the general idea of this KB, I just feel like it's so close to being something way more people would buy with minimal changes. Either way tho, good luck with your GB :D.

TBH i was talking about producing the same piece in PC or in ALU (not talking about material only), is usually the same price more or less and sometimes the PC part is even more expensive than Alu. 

For how the case is designed, it is not supposed to have a bottom, look it closer, the bottom is literally the end of the top, you will never see that plastic part that is angled as well.   

Also i do not agree with "put here a hole for an eventual brass weight". No you have to do 2 different bottom for that, you can't do one type only with a big hole at the middle and cover it somehow lol.  Also that's a long bottom, a big hole at the center will not make it very stable (while it should be stable like it is now), while a small brass would just add a hole without adding much weight.   

« Last Edit: Fri, 05 January 2018, 15:48:18 by KaosJ »

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 14:44:32 »
The entire purpose of the PC bottom is to address the issue of having an unsightly acrylic strip in the middle of the keyboard. It's ugly, and it's not aesthetically pleasing especially when the RGB is off.

The reason for the PC bottom, as stated in the original post - is to address an issue for two types of people. Those who love rgb and those who don't. If you want rgb, it's going to glow very very nicely. If you don't want RGB, turn it off...once you turn it off you don't have any dead plastic detracting from the rest of the aesthetic of the board. With rgb off, you won't even know it has it.

I am not making an acrylic layer to sandwich between two pieces of aluminum on this, and nor will I ever design any future boards to have it either.
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 14:46:21 »

You are correct. The manufacturing costs for this are 10 dollars more per unit for poly carbonate =) The cost savings comes in the shipping. Having PC will reduce the shipping cost for the customer significantly.
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline monkeysontoast

• Editor, dork, human - powered by pizza & nostalgia
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 02:27:03 »
I've been waiting for this one!  :thumb: Looks great, and I like the price point. Hopefully my wallet is ready when the GB goes live!  ;D

Offline lac29

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 22:30:19 »
It looks promising. All the 96 designs better come out before input club's because I don't think they will get much traction in the following months.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 14 January 2018, 03:18:24 »
It looks promising. All the 96 designs better come out before input club's because I don't think they will get much traction in the following months.

I don't know... people are already starting to talk about the whitefox and how there unhappy with least one of the choices made by input club. I gotta admit while it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me its tacky looking. Does take away from the overall quality of the board. They had the FCC warning/Logo crap placed on the backs of the cases. This is very very large print. I could see other designs getting a thumbs up special if they use something easy to program.

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 15 January 2018, 21:31:02 »
Alright guys. The moment everyone has been waiting for. Prototype landed - here it is.

Only thing left to do now is to get confirmation from Cerakote gig here in town the prices they want to charge you all for custom colors!

- mechkeys - ca -

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
Re: [IC]Espectro - 96 - Prototype in hand come look!
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 15:31:11 »
I hope you all had a chance to check out the photos of the prototype! I'd like to announce pricing, at $225 USD for a full kit =)
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline Topernicus

Re: [IC]Espectro - 96 - $225 - Come look at the prototype!!!!!
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 15:33:53 »
Looks awesome!

Can't wait to get in on this!

Offline Voxicles

• Violet Tendencies shipping now!
    • Spookeys - Dye Sublimation
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 15:34:41 »
I need this! When's this shiz comin'?

Offline bluesclera

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 15:38:33 »
Have to say not pretty with SA caps. They overwhelm the board. Maybe XDA.

Offline Randalljai

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 16:47:45 »
The entire purpose of the PC bottom is to address the issue of having an unsightly acrylic strip in the middle of the keyboard. It's ugly, and it's not aesthetically pleasing especially when the RGB is off.

The reason for the PC bottom, as stated in the original post - is to address an issue for two types of people. Those who love rgb and those who don't. If you want rgb, it's going to glow very very nicely. If you don't want RGB, turn it off...once you turn it off you don't have any dead plastic detracting from the rest of the aesthetic of the board. With rgb off, you won't even know it has it.

I am not making an acrylic layer to sandwich between two pieces of aluminum on this, and nor will I ever design any future boards to have it either.

any chance of a 65% with a similar case? i like the idea of how the underglow will be on the bottom and now sandwiched in. don't think i've seen a case like this!

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 17:57:37 »

any chance of a 65% with a similar case? i like the idea of how the underglow will be on the bottom and now sandwiched in. don't think i've seen a case like this!
Yep. I have a bunch of things in the works, including 65% and split 65%, whether or not they are in the same style as espectro is tbd.
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline Etherealsound

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 22:09:20 »
The board looks lovely! Will there be any shots of what the RGB looks like on the prototype? Additionally, is purple the only available color or will there be other options?

Offline Randalljai

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 23:27:45 »

Yep. I have a bunch of things in the works, including 65% and split 65%, whether or not they are in the same style as espectro is tbd.

sweet..can't wait to see your future visions. I think this set has a very great price point and the case is so sleek..

Offline SBN

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 23:30:22 »
The board looks lovely! Will there be any shots of what the RGB looks like on the prototype? Additionally, is purple the only available color or will there be other options?

Yeah, some photos of the underglow and maybe even other keycaps profiles would be really nice to get a better understanding of the looks of the board!

Offline GreyAmbience

• I can stop when ever I want
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 01:38:16 »
That looks fantastic

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 02:38:13 »
Is this going to be a group buy or a FCFS sale? I have read both and batting it back and forth. I don't need a Numpad.. but I do want a 96 board for my collection. Choices choices! Also special if the colors are right. Perhaps could even use it for my godspeed build I am working on. I was going to do tada but kinda want something bigger now.

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 03:09:36 »

sweet..can't wait to see your future visions. I think this set has a very great price point and the case is so sleek..
Thanks! I can't wait to get it out to you all.

Yeah, some photos of the underglow and maybe even other keycaps profiles would be really nice to get a better understanding of the looks of the board!
Absolutely agree with you - the only other keycap profile I have is GMK, which is GMK Carbon. Doesn't look too nice with purple - but I will try to make it work :)
That looks fantastic
Thank you!
Absolutely. I am going to be assembling it once these new prototype outemu switches arrive - and it will be getting not only a full photoshoot treatment with/without rgb - but also the best video I can muster up.
Is this going to be a group buy or a FCFS sale? I have read both and batting it back and forth. I don't need a Numpad.. but I do want a 96 board for my collection. Choices choices! Also special if the colors are right. Perhaps could even use it for my godspeed build I am working on. I was going to do tada but kinda want something bigger now.
I was going to do an initial run of 50 units only and pay for it all out of pocket to advance past a group buy - but due to the demand, and the fact that there are so many color variations available I decided it was best to do the GB route.
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline funkybeat7

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 08:50:23 »

Thanks! I can't wait to get it out to you all.

Absolutely agree with you - the only other keycap profile I have is GMK, which is GMK Carbon. Doesn't look too nice with purple - but I will try to make it work :)
That looks fantastic
Thank you!
Absolutely. I am going to be assembling it once these new prototype outemu switches arrive - and it will be getting not only a full photoshoot treatment with/without rgb - but also the best video I can muster up.
I was going to do an initial run of 50 units only and pay for it all out of pocket to advance past a group buy - but due to the demand, and the fact that there are so many color variations available I decided it was best to do the GB route.
I'm so happy I don't have to fight with other people for a spot for this keyboard because I've been eyeing it since the first renders came out. Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Voxicles

• Violet Tendencies shipping now!
    • Spookeys - Dye Sublimation
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 12:33:31 »
I'm in for purple!

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 13:02:19 »
I think since its a group buy going to have to buy in 225 for a 96 thats high quality is kinda a steal. Though if the color selection is anything like the mechmini. Its going to be frustrating deciding what color to go with. I mean there is always the black/silver that is timeless but where is the fun in getting something mundane.

Offline azulyf

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 19:18:37 »
That case is gorgeous!
But 96 board is not my thing. I would definitely in for one if it comes as 65/60 kit as you mentioned. Hope it'll happen.

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
Re: [IC]Espectro - 96 - $290CAD - GROUP BUY LIVE!
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 01:46:54 »
Hey everyone, just wanted to say the group buy is live! Check the site for all pertinent information :)

https://mechkeys.ca/products/espectro?variant=3309440565272
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline ironorchid

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 10:58:14 »
Question about the order of zealio switches, it's a $1.20 for one switch, right? So I should make sure to set the quantity to at least 96 if I am going to order switches with the board? I assumed that was the deal but the description doesn't say anything about how many switches that is.

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 11:37:16 »
Ya is per switch but order a few more in case you screw up or you get a dead switch

Offline ironorchid

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 12:18:11 »
Cool, didn't want to find out it was like 10 or something and get a thousand. The price did seem like it was for one.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 14:49:10 »
Ugh this stinks! we have time to order right There is no limit to how many orders can be placed?? Cause right now I am torn between the Cyan, Black, Red, and Emerald Green.

My thoughts are as follows Cyan I love my KBD75 ands Cyan while caps are tough to come by! The board's look amazing and they really look unique!
Black is classic everything matches black but! Blacks so mainstream.
Red.. that red is amazing looking rich deep.. but once again finding keycap! but then there is Diablo set that might be coming.. and demonic!
Emerald Green is just unique color way and would look lovely also!... Choices

Ugh!! whats you guys going with and any pokes in any directions.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 14:55:56 »
The Interest Check phase is over, and the group buy has been started.  This thread is now locked.  Please create a dedicated group buy thread for continued discussion. 
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -