Author Topic: [IC]Espectro - 96 - $290CAD - GROUP BUY LIVE!  (Read 21533 times)

Offline JMD

• All we want is happiness.
    • Mech Keys
Re: [IC]Espectro - 96
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 14:44:32 »
The entire purpose of the PC bottom is to address the issue of having an unsightly acrylic strip in the middle of the keyboard. It's ugly, and it's not aesthetically pleasing especially when the RGB is off.

The reason for the PC bottom, as stated in the original post - is to address an issue for two types of people. Those who love rgb and those who don't. If you want rgb, it's going to glow very very nicely. If you don't want RGB, turn it off...once you turn it off you don't have any dead plastic detracting from the rest of the aesthetic of the board. With rgb off, you won't even know it has it.

I am not making an acrylic layer to sandwich between two pieces of aluminum on this, and nor will I ever design any future boards to have it either.
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 14:46:21 »
I'll be in if you offer a brass "Side B." Plastic is so bargain-basement.
I just wanted to re-iterate bro, the ONLY point of the polycarbonate bottom piece is to elevate the board while diffusing RGB lighting and staying hidden, making the board appear like its floating. Its not done as a bargain piece. Cheers!

BRO you're telling me you cant achieve the SAME objectives without making the ENTIRE BOTTOM plastic??? It's one thing to cater to the mass market but to pretend it was NOT a cost cutting decision??? Either i'm giving you too much design prowess or you're just an idiot.

Just saying, Polycarbonate CNC parts are not cheaper as price than Alu CNC, especially on such a thin part (bottom plate). 
Often is even more expensive than Alu due the fail rate with CNC PC.  So the PC is just a choice, it isn't a "cost cutting" decision, the cost will be the same if not higher with PC. 

The design was clearly made to have RGB at the bottom and imho it would have looked bad with Alu at bottom (even if i like full alu keyboards for the weight).     

Said that, if you don't like it just pass, there are and there will be other 96-keebs for you. But really if you are passing because you think that Polycarbonate is soft (it is not) or because you think it is cheaper (it is not), i would suggest to do just some researchs or get some CNC quotes with the 2 materials.

You are correct. The manufacturing costs for this are 10 dollars more per unit for poly carbonate =) The cost savings comes in the shipping. Having PC will reduce the shipping cost for the customer significantly.
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline monkeysontoast

• Editor, dork, human - powered by pizza & nostalgia
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 02:27:03 »
I've been waiting for this one!  :thumb: Looks great, and I like the price point. Hopefully my wallet is ready when the GB goes live!  ;D

Offline lac29

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 22:30:19 »
It looks promising. All the 96 designs better come out before input club's because I don't think they will get much traction in the following months.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 14 January 2018, 03:18:24 »
It looks promising. All the 96 designs better come out before input club's because I don't think they will get much traction in the following months.

I don't know... people are already starting to talk about the whitefox and how there unhappy with least one of the choices made by input club. I gotta admit while it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me its tacky looking. Does take away from the overall quality of the board. They had the FCC warning/Logo crap placed on the backs of the cases. This is very very large print. I could see other designs getting a thumbs up special if they use something easy to program.

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 15 January 2018, 21:31:02 »
Alright guys. The moment everyone has been waiting for. Prototype landed - here it is.

Only thing left to do now is to get confirmation from Cerakote gig here in town the prices they want to charge you all for custom colors!

- mechkeys - ca -

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
Re: [IC]Espectro - 96 - Prototype in hand come look!
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 15:31:11 »
I hope you all had a chance to check out the photos of the prototype! I'd like to announce pricing, at $225 USD for a full kit =)
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline Topernicus

Re: [IC]Espectro - 96 - $225 - Come look at the prototype!!!!!
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 15:33:53 »
Looks awesome!

Can't wait to get in on this!

Offline Voxicles

• Violet Tendencies shipping now!
    • Spookeys - Dye Sublimation
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 15:34:41 »
I need this! When's this shiz comin'?

Offline bluesclera

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 15:38:33 »
Have to say not pretty with SA caps. They overwhelm the board. Maybe XDA.

Offline Randalljai

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 16:47:45 »
The entire purpose of the PC bottom is to address the issue of having an unsightly acrylic strip in the middle of the keyboard. It's ugly, and it's not aesthetically pleasing especially when the RGB is off.

The reason for the PC bottom, as stated in the original post - is to address an issue for two types of people. Those who love rgb and those who don't. If you want rgb, it's going to glow very very nicely. If you don't want RGB, turn it off...once you turn it off you don't have any dead plastic detracting from the rest of the aesthetic of the board. With rgb off, you won't even know it has it.

I am not making an acrylic layer to sandwich between two pieces of aluminum on this, and nor will I ever design any future boards to have it either.

any chance of a 65% with a similar case? i like the idea of how the underglow will be on the bottom and now sandwiched in. don't think i've seen a case like this!

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 17:57:37 »

any chance of a 65% with a similar case? i like the idea of how the underglow will be on the bottom and now sandwiched in. don't think i've seen a case like this!
Yep. I have a bunch of things in the works, including 65% and split 65%, whether or not they are in the same style as espectro is tbd.
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline Etherealsound

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 22:09:20 »
The board looks lovely! Will there be any shots of what the RGB looks like on the prototype? Additionally, is purple the only available color or will there be other options?

Offline Randalljai

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 23:27:45 »

Yep. I have a bunch of things in the works, including 65% and split 65%, whether or not they are in the same style as espectro is tbd.

sweet..can't wait to see your future visions. I think this set has a very great price point and the case is so sleek..

Offline SBN

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 23:30:22 »
The board looks lovely! Will there be any shots of what the RGB looks like on the prototype? Additionally, is purple the only available color or will there be other options?

Yeah, some photos of the underglow and maybe even other keycaps profiles would be really nice to get a better understanding of the looks of the board!

Offline GreyAmbience

• I can stop when ever I want
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 01:38:16 »
That looks fantastic

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 02:38:13 »
Is this going to be a group buy or a FCFS sale? I have read both and batting it back and forth. I don't need a Numpad.. but I do want a 96 board for my collection. Choices choices! Also special if the colors are right. Perhaps could even use it for my godspeed build I am working on. I was going to do tada but kinda want something bigger now.

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 03:09:36 »

sweet..can't wait to see your future visions. I think this set has a very great price point and the case is so sleek..
Thanks! I can't wait to get it out to you all.

Yeah, some photos of the underglow and maybe even other keycaps profiles would be really nice to get a better understanding of the looks of the board!
Absolutely agree with you - the only other keycap profile I have is GMK, which is GMK Carbon. Doesn't look too nice with purple - but I will try to make it work :)
That looks fantastic
Thank you!
Absolutely. I am going to be assembling it once these new prototype outemu switches arrive - and it will be getting not only a full photoshoot treatment with/without rgb - but also the best video I can muster up.
Is this going to be a group buy or a FCFS sale? I have read both and batting it back and forth. I don't need a Numpad.. but I do want a 96 board for my collection. Choices choices! Also special if the colors are right. Perhaps could even use it for my godspeed build I am working on. I was going to do tada but kinda want something bigger now.
I was going to do an initial run of 50 units only and pay for it all out of pocket to advance past a group buy - but due to the demand, and the fact that there are so many color variations available I decided it was best to do the GB route.
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline funkybeat7

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 08:50:23 »

Thanks! I can't wait to get it out to you all.

Absolutely agree with you - the only other keycap profile I have is GMK, which is GMK Carbon. Doesn't look too nice with purple - but I will try to make it work :)
That looks fantastic
Thank you!
Absolutely. I am going to be assembling it once these new prototype outemu switches arrive - and it will be getting not only a full photoshoot treatment with/without rgb - but also the best video I can muster up.
I was going to do an initial run of 50 units only and pay for it all out of pocket to advance past a group buy - but due to the demand, and the fact that there are so many color variations available I decided it was best to do the GB route.
I'm so happy I don't have to fight with other people for a spot for this keyboard because I've been eyeing it since the first renders came out. Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Voxicles

• Violet Tendencies shipping now!
    • Spookeys - Dye Sublimation
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 12:33:31 »
I'm in for purple!

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 13:02:19 »
I think since its a group buy going to have to buy in 225 for a 96 thats high quality is kinda a steal. Though if the color selection is anything like the mechmini. Its going to be frustrating deciding what color to go with. I mean there is always the black/silver that is timeless but where is the fun in getting something mundane.

Offline azulyf

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 19:18:37 »
That case is gorgeous!
But 96 board is not my thing. I would definitely in for one if it comes as 65/60 kit as you mentioned. Hope it'll happen.

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
Re: [IC]Espectro - 96 - $290CAD - GROUP BUY LIVE!
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 01:46:54 »
Hey everyone, just wanted to say the group buy is live! Check the site for all pertinent information :)

https://mechkeys.ca/products/espectro?variant=3309440565272
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline ironorchid

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 10:58:14 »
Question about the order of zealio switches, it's a $1.20 for one switch, right? So I should make sure to set the quantity to at least 96 if I am going to order switches with the board? I assumed that was the deal but the description doesn't say anything about how many switches that is.

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 11:37:16 »
Ya is per switch but order a few more in case you screw up or you get a dead switch

Offline ironorchid

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 12:18:11 »
Cool, didn't want to find out it was like 10 or something and get a thousand. The price did seem like it was for one.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 14:49:10 »
Ugh this stinks! we have time to order right There is no limit to how many orders can be placed?? Cause right now I am torn between the Cyan, Black, Red, and Emerald Green.

My thoughts are as follows Cyan I love my KBD75 ands Cyan while caps are tough to come by! The board's look amazing and they really look unique!
Black is classic everything matches black but! Blacks so mainstream.
Red.. that red is amazing looking rich deep.. but once again finding keycap! but then there is Diablo set that might be coming.. and demonic!
Emerald Green is just unique color way and would look lovely also!... Choices

Ugh!! whats you guys going with and any pokes in any directions.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 14:55:56 »
The Interest Check phase is over, and the group buy has been started.  This thread is now locked.  Please create a dedicated group buy thread for continued discussion. 
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -