Author Topic: [IC] Group Buy - KP PBT Dyesub (Two tone grey, Icon mods)  (Read 12769 times)

Offline reconsiderit

• I'm actually not left handed www.switchplate.co
[IC] Group Buy - KP PBT Dyesub (Two tone grey, Icon mods)
« on: Sun, 31 December 2017, 21:05:23 »
Dyesub Greyscale PBT Keyset Group Buy

This is an interest check for a black on grey PBT Dyesub set designed by KPrepublic. The colors are a grey and not beige (I’m sure we have enough beige sets floating around at this point). I’m trying to get a feel to see how many people would be interested in a kit with roughly the same compatibility as a GMK base kit. The idea here is to run an affordable thick PBT keyset and to get rid of keys that people don’t really need while consolidate everything into a single kit with keys that aren’t currently available (like the dark grey pipe, R2 PgUp, etc…) The keys are 1.5mm thick PBT and have no LED bleed. The cost would be somewhere around $55-75 (have yet to get a quote) shipped CONUS with USPS priority mail in bags.I'm trying to keep the price for the base kit at 50+shipping.  There’s also the possibility of accents (as seen in the first picture) for additional cost. I am also thinking of getting JTK Trays for these depending on how many people are interested in them, but again, the cost for shipping would be higher with the trays. MOQ will probably something around 50 sets.

Sample pictures below. Album for images that aren't as compressed:   https://imgur.com/a/T35NB

Interest Check Form Here  https://goo.gl/forms/VzaT28rxOegITjN73
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 April 2018, 22:11:19 by reconsiderit »
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline superdoedoe

• ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Re: [IC] Greyscale PBT Dyesub Group Buy
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 00:18:01 »
These are sold on his taobao page correct?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 02:45:37 »
These are sold on his taobao page correct?

Yep, these are the ones
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline Pheyn

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 04:17:22 »
Do you think your base set will offer any extra keys than what KP already has available? I just bought this set last week but if there's extra compatibility, I'd probably be down to get a 2nd set :)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 10:46:00 »
Yeah, I'd pay $60 for that.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 10:54:04 »
I got two sets from KP. I'd like to buy more.

Accents are great but I hope they will be sold separately.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 11:42:08 »
Can we have R5 and dished homing keys without bars?
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 12:33:41 »
Would be interested, but would love to know about how crisp these look. Do they compare well to OG Cherry dyesubs or BSP/IMSTO?

Offline Petch

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 13:37:34 »
Scooped homing keys please? Forgot to mention it in the form

Offline finalarcadia

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 13:39:28 »
Would it be possible to have icon-only or text-only mods?

Offline Kavik

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 18:05:31 »
Interested.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 23:16:51 »
Would be interested, but would love to know about how crisp these look. Do they compare well to OG Cherry dyesubs or BSP/IMSTO?

I would honestly say that the legends are definetly not as crisp as IMSTO or the OG dyesubs. They're more or less the same quality as epbt I would say.

switchplate.co

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 23:24:29 »
naisu

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 23:57:50 »
Can we have R5 and dished homing keys without bars?

I'll definitely look into the homing keys without the bars. Have them on my board right now and am really liking them. Which R5 keys though? 

Edit: I've actually never seen any bar-less homing keys with the thick PBT keycaps. All the manufactures (IMSTO, Gateron, NPKC) only offer the homing keys in scooped and barred afaik.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 January 2018, 00:53:10 by reconsiderit »

switchplate.co

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 23:59:28 »
Would it be possible to have icon-only or text-only mods?

Its definitely possible. If they aren't kept as is, I might consider going for icon mods since there aren't a lot of dyesub kits with icon only mods out there at the moment. 

switchplate.co

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 01:32:13 »
Just curious, do you know who will be producing the PBT? Gateron, NPKC (I think that’s their name). Etc.,

I personally like text + icon, but certainty not opposed to anything different. Grey looks great so I would love to pick a set up.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 22:29:03 »
Just curious, do you know who will be producing the PBT? Gateron, NPKC (I think that’s their name). Etc.,

I personally like text + icon, but certainty not opposed to anything different. Grey looks great so I would love to pick a set up.

These are printed on NPKC blanks. As far as the icon mods, I'm still debating. They would be pretty nice to have since there aren't really any dyesub sets out there with icon mods iirc.

switchplate.co

Offline finalarcadia

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 22:42:03 »

These are printed on NPKC blanks. As far as the icon mods, I'm still debating. They would be pretty nice to have since there aren't really any dyesub sets out there with icon mods iirc.
It's a 100÷ buy from me with icon mods :D

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline Petch

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 09:55:07 »

Soooo OEM profile rather than Cherry? Bummer. Also not a massive fan of NPKC/Gateron texture. I wish there was something similar to HHKB texture

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 13:27:27 »

Soooo OEM profile rather than Cherry? Bummer. Also not a massive fan of NPKC/Gateron texture. I wish there was something similar to HHKB texture

NPKC Makes two kinds of caps. The thinner OEM ones and the thick PBT ones. These will be the thick PBT ones.

As far as texture goes, the rougher HHKB stuff is really hard to come by. I don't think I've seen the rougher texture on any dyesub caps. The only ones that are MX compatible that I can think of would be the Leopold keycaps.

switchplate.co

Offline Petch

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 13:52:25 »

NPKC Makes two kinds of caps. The thinner OEM ones and the thick PBT ones. These will be the thick PBT ones.

As far as texture goes, the rougher HHKB stuff is really hard to come by. I don't think I've seen the rougher texture on any dyesub caps. The only ones that are MX compatible that I can think of would be the Leopold keycaps.

Are you mixing up OEM with something else? OEM is a profile, PBT is a material - they're not mutually exclusive

As far as I know NPKC only do OEM profile? Edit: found some cherry profile on kbdfans
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 January 2018, 13:54:24 by Petch »

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 14:28:58 »

Its definitely possible. If they aren't kept as is, I might consider going for icon mods since there aren't a lot of dyesub kits with icon only mods out there at the moment.

I would be interested in Icon mods. I also think blue legends would look great, much like the OG Olivetti/TA Satellite 4 caps.

Offline R4WBIT

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 14:55:24 »
Is it approximately the same colors as GMK Muted?
If it is, then I'm in :D

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 23:14:05 »
Is it approximately the same colors as GMK Muted?
If it is, then I'm in :D

Color wise, it's similar (Greyish), but the mods seem to be little bit lighter, so you don't get as much contrast between the alphas and the mods as you do with muted.

switchplate.co

Offline R4WBIT

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 12:49:12 »
How is the IC going? :D

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 13:41:44 »
I actually have these, bought them on alie. Just wondering where you got those blue keys? Can't find those :P

Offline babyfeets

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 18:23:11 »
I just wanna say that first pic with accent completely sold me on the set. But I have no need for the extended stuff so I'll get from KPR and KBD. Poesjuh the accents are here: https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/collections/keycaps/products/npkc-dye-sub-keycaps-esc-enter-spacebar

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 17:56:02 »
How is the IC going? :D

I'm really busy at the moment with a GB since that has priority, but am trying to get icon legends done with the kit. Hopefully soon...

maybe not that soon, but in the near future.

switchplate.co

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 15:46:12 »
I just wanna say that first pic with accent completely sold me on the set. But I have no need for the extended stuff so I'll get from KPR and KBD. Poesjuh the accents are here: https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/collections/keycaps/products/npkc-dye-sub-keycaps-esc-enter-spacebar

Ah, thx! Pity is only consists of three keys of which I cannot use 1 :P my space is 7U. Thx for the reply though.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 02:03:46 »
Bringing this thing back from the dead, but I've got the kits sorted out (For the most part). Hope to run this in the next month or two. Quick mockup from kle-render has a few imperfections here and there but it should be enough to show kit compatibility. Gonna stay with traditional mods this time around.  Numpad and ISO enter should have text above the symbol but that didn't make it on there for some reason.

Also, to answer some questions, I don't think that NPKC has scooped-only homing keys so we're kinda stuck with scooped+barred.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 April 2018, 02:13:28 by reconsiderit »

switchplate.co

Offline helpful

Re: [IC] Group Buy - KP PBT Dyesub (Two tone light/medium grey)
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 09:16:42 »
Set looks good, well rounded, I look forward to the GB.

Offline TyrionLannister

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 12:32:03 »
Throwing my hat in the ring for icon mod availability. Just can't bring myself to like the text mods on this, especially if using the control key and tiny 'ctrl' type for hhkb-style placement.

Offline Petch

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 12:37:15 »
Pls change R2 backspace from <[] to <---

It also seems to be 1.75u instead of 1.5u?

Also please change R3 Control from "Ctrl" to "Control". "Ctrl" on a 1.75u key just looks... lonely
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 April 2018, 12:39:40 by Petch »

Offline duckboi

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 12:51:43 »
If this does run at around $60-70, I would definitely grab a set! These look really nice IMO! BTW, I appreciate that ortho planck support.  :thumb:
The m0ar empty you feel,  the m0ar space for Keycaps..

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 00:18:56 »

Also please change R3 Control from "Ctrl" to "Control". "Ctrl" on a 1.75u key just looks... lonely

I have the sizes of the keys listed right below just like GMK does with their renders. What size is that backspace supposed to be? And I did mistakenly leave out the back arrow so I'll add that when I get a chance to update the render.

Yeah, R3 "Ctrl" was a mistake too. Will update with a new render once I have time.

switchplate.co

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 00:28:57 »
Throwing my hat in the ring for icon mod availability. Just can't bring myself to like the text mods on this, especially if using the control key and tiny 'ctrl' type for hhkb-style placement.

are you thinking something like a full set of icon mods? Something like what GMK yuri had? Or something closer to 9009?

switchplate.co

Offline TyrionLannister

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 01:15:13 »
are you thinking something like a full set of icon mods? Something like what GMK yuri had? Or something closer to 9009?

I’m in favor of either. Personally I dig all icon mods, but a compromise of 9009 would be better than none!

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 01:27:08 »
hmm... I don't remember if I have filled the form or not  :(

Bringing this thing back from the dead, but I've got the kits sorted out (For the most part). Hope to run this in the next month or two. Quick mockup from kle-render has a few imperfections here and there but it should be enough to show kit compatibility. Gonna stay with traditional mods this time around.  Numpad and ISO enter should have text above the symbol but that didn't make it on there for some reason.

Show Image

Also, to answer some questions, I don't think that NPKC has scooped-only homing keys so we're kinda stuck with scooped+barred.

does the 40% kit have 2u backspace?
I thought 40% keyboards usually use 1.5u or 1.75u Backspace

Offline Petch

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 03:39:48 »

I have the sizes of the keys listed right below just like GMK does with their renders. What size is that backspace supposed to be? And I did mistakenly leave out the back arrow so I'll add that when I get a chance to update the render.

Yeah, R3 "Ctrl" was a mistake too. Will update with a new render once I have time.

R2 backspace should be the same size as \|, which is 1.5u

That is, if you're trying to cover HHKB. Maybe there's some newfangled layout that uses a R2 1.75u backspace that I'm unaware of  :D

Offline schmoktopus

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 04:22:17 »
Can you show us some pics of the backside of these caps? Would like to see the thickness of the walls, how it compares to epbt.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 07:56:20 »
Can you show us some pics of the backside of these caps? Would like to see the thickness of the walls, how it compares to epbt.

Here you go.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 10:10:42 »

That is, if you're trying to cover HHKB. Maybe there's some newfangled layout that uses a R2 1.75u backspace that I'm unaware of  :D

Yep, I fudged that one too. It should be 1.5u. There's the icon backspace that's in the main kit for HHKB. Just curious as to if people would prefer that as the traditional arrow+text instead.

switchplate.co

Offline Petch

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 10:42:48 »

Yep, I fudged that one too. It should be 1.5u. There's the icon backspace that's in the main kit for HHKB. Just curious as to if people would prefer that as the traditional arrow+text instead.

Personally, I think just the simple '<---' icon is best for the R2 1.5u backspace. No text, no <[X] icon. See GMK plum for an example

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 22:02:10 »
Hmm, well after talking with more people and looking around, this might as well be an icon kit. Feel like if we're going to do a GB, might as well make it something that's not readily purchasable. I've converted the preview to the icon mods and fixed things like key sizes. I need a little more input with the 40 compat kit as I have never really done any work with 40% boards. Exact pricing will be in a little bit as I'm just waiting to hear back.

A few notes below.
- Capslock will be close to what GMK uses (semicircle with lock shackle)
- R1 Underscore/Minus is wacky. It certainly won't look like when produced.
- This is NOT what will be sent to the dyesubber. That won't be posted for obvious reasons.
- I need some input on the 40 percent kit. I feel like its missing something
- Winkey will stay as "code" and menu will be as is. I won't be doing icons for those.

switchplate.co

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: [IC] Group Buy - KP PBT Dyesub (Two tone grey, Icon mods)
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 01:49:52 »
still interested, but would like to see physical samples of the legends before i commit
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 11:54:44 »
still interested, but would like to see physical samples of the legends before i commit

I'll try to get that done. Trying to fix the kerning on the text part of the mods too. They need something like 0.05mm more between each character.

switchplate.co

Offline babyfeets

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 10:43:11 »
I now have a set of these and I like it quite a bit. I'll buy another one if you can pull off the 40's kit or accent kits with 7u. Icon mods are not usually an incentive for me but make perfect sense for a 40.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 16:18:46 »
I'm still interested as well.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 16:27:05 »
Any chance of running separate kits for just the color accent keys? Would love to augment some of my existing sets with some pops of color.
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 19:07:57 »
Any chance of running separate kits for just the color accent keys? Would love to augment some of my existing sets with some pops of color.

Accents will probably be in kits separate from the base.

switchplate.co