Author Topic: May have ruined my Dox trying to desolder something. What do?  (Read 1373 times)

Offline bcredbottle

May have ruined my Dox trying to desolder something. What do?
« on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 10:27:21 »
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 January 2019, 12:04:23 by bcredbottle »

Offline afferscheim

Re: May have ruined my Dox trying to desolder something. What do?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 13:41:18 »
Hi There,

What does it look like on the other side ? Could you clean the damaged side with some rubbing alcohol and upload a new picture?

Offline OldDataHands

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 08:23:56 »
Since you aren't trying to save the broken USB connector, you can make the desoldering process a lot easier by cutting each pin, leaving enough of the lead to grab with some pliers and pull once the solder is melted.  Also, find some no-clean flux which you can use to help improve heat transfer to the solder.

Offline THX1138b

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 14:45:03 »
An SMD rework tool that blows hot air works for me to do this kind of thing because you can hit many pads at once (that's a double-edge sword since you need to avoid hitting components you're not trying to melt or desolder. Maybe you can get around the destroyed pad by finding another pad which is directly connected to where the damaged pad was. This would be easier with an undamaged board. Then you can solder some wire between your replacement plug and that surrogate pad.