Author Topic: [IC] Nexus Slider (Alps Slider With a Cherry Stem)  (Read 46120 times)

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
[IC] Nexus Slider (Alps Slider With a Cherry Stem)
« on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 22:13:12 »
Best Update So Far:
My sliders are once again compatible with clicky switches and in fact work with stabs. I will make a video maybe tomorrow going over what was found out. As well they work with SKCM Brown beautifully.

As well, I was asked a question over on deskthority about why an orange top housing wouldn't fit on a brown switch. Below is my response:

I figured out the reason why it wouldn't close, if you look inside of the top housing there are rectangular recesses on the back of the top side. On an SKCM Brown the housing is mirrored, meaning they are identical on both the switchplate side and tactile leaf side. This is not the case for all other SKCM switches. The SKCM Orange, and every other SKCM variants, matches my pictures where one side has two bars dividing that recess on one side only. The point of those bars is so the tactile/click leaf is held in place at the top and bottom better. These bars prevent the browns tactile leaf from fitting inside any other top housing.

Now because of this I have to make a modification to the top housing I designed in order to accommodate both, which will be pretty easy with an idea I have. I can't do anything today as I have to build a new computer in order to do CAD again, as the last one decided it didn't want to live anymore...So probably saturday or late tomorrow I can make the change.

We are rounding the corner of the design and testing phase and the GB will be opening within the next 2 weeks, all I have left to do is make some final adjustments to the slider and top housing and I can start taking orders. Please spread the new info. that they work on clicky switches so we can make sure to get the quantity of 11,000 needed for me to move forward with the production of both pieces.

Update:
Newest video going over the current prototype.

Product shot(s):
186677-0
For now this is all I will be sharing as the prototypes don't really resemble the final product and don't show detail very well. Product color is uncertain as I need to see what the manufacturers capabilities are.

Product Features:
  • Cherry MX mount
  • Compatibility with Linear, and tactile switches (soon to be compatible with clicky)

Product Description:
This is an Alps slider with a cherry stem, the slider is the colored part that keycaps mount into. It is a replacement alps slider, that allows you to use cherry keycaps, you open the alps switch up, remove the original slider, pop this one in, replace the top housing with either a modified top housing or the one I will be producing, and voila.

Note: Top housing will need to be slightly filed down to make sure the keycap doesn't catch when pressing the key. Only needs to be filed a tiny amount as the opening is almost the exact size of most cherry keycap stems.

Planned pricing and MOQ:
At the moment I am getting quotes for around 5,000-10,000, not sure how many people are wanting to jump in on this and will most likely be doing a couple rounds of ordering depending on the volume of interest.

Quantaties will be as follows:
  • 50 minimum
  • 70 for 60% and similar sizes
  • 95 for TKL
  • 115 for fullsize
  • 130 for big ass boards that you may have or for those who like extra

Currently planning on pricing of $0.50 - $0.80 for each slider, depending on what the quotes are(will update once I figure out which manufacturer I will be using). Price may be out of that range, so be prepared as that is just an initial estimate/goal.

Interest Form:
Will keep the form open for about 2 weeks or so and see how much interest I get, I will be the only person running this and if the interest is higher than I expected I may close it sooner so I don't get too many people on the first run. Once I get pricing and the form is closed the GB will open and ordering will commence.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeQlCswtGqZ-18CDlnNXohOpKMbDD3zNBGfpGcEBdBAKoH1zA/viewform?usp=sf_link

Alps top housing option:
Chyros wanted to know if I had a solution to the fact that cherry stems do barely fit inside the housing opening. He was not the first person to ask this and my answer was originally, and it can be seen at the top of this post, that you will have to file the housing slightly to fit the stem reliably. Now I know that not everyone will be willing to do so but that is the easiest most cost effective solution out there. In order to see if people would like me to produce a top housing that also allows clearance, I have made the below form to do so. Do note that this will ONLY WORK FOR ALPS, not matias switches as they are entirely different and those will have to be filed which isn't that bad seeing as they are $0.25 switches, and you can replace them, where as alps can't be replaced sadly. So that is why some of the questions make sure you acknowledge that fact.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSff4l1Q_vhLj5R7Jnf7j3KQS7VplZ0EWz9NkFtr6Db-PBfYUA/viewform?usp=sf_link

Update:
Currently we are at 4980 sliders, we are almost at the minimum for this to be a GB, I want to get closer to 7,000 just in case some people change their minds before ordering so we don't drop below the 5000 MOQ. Plus the more people who get involved the price will drop significantly, ex. 10,000 is half the price of the moq for just tooling, manufacturing cost should also drop slightly and that means we can save a crap ton of money with more people. I don't really want to make much money on this I just want to make a great product that people will love for a very long time.

Keep the momentum up people!!! The response is awesome and way more than I expected in just 2 days.

Update 2:
We have now hit 5555 sliders, this is crazy how much people want this product, Today alone we have had almost 2000 sliders added to the list. Hopefully pricing quotes come tomorrow so I can figure out which manufacturer is the best fit and can start the GB by midweek or so.

Seriously thank you to all the people who have showed interest, this is more than I could have ever imagined and I can't wait to see what projects these go into.

Update 3:
We have now hit 7870 sliders, really happy to see the progress of this over the past few days. Up until now the quotes have been prohibitively high and made me worried that we would need to double that interest. Well I just received my 3rd quote and their pricing is way more reasonable for what we are doing. The last 2 quotes were using tools that would last 50,000 parts(shot) guaranteed and because of that the tooling was almost $5000 which sucks for almost any order quantity below 15,000.

But the new quote came in and I can reasonably sell them at $0.45 per slider as the tooling is only able to do 10,000 parts(shot) guaranteed. Which means I will either have to cut the order off at 10,000 or do it in waves, where the first 10,000 are made and shipped and new tooling is made once the next 10,000 are ordered. I can avoid this round system by using the 50,000 shot tooling but I am waiting on a re-estimate on the quote as I changed the surface finish that was to be used and will see what the new cost is.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 February 2018, 13:03:17 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline alisonica

Re: [IC] Nexus Slider (Alps Slider With Cherry Stem)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 22:30:58 »
Yes I will need 370 of these.

The final solution for alps.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 22:40:00 »
Yass
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Lepidus

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 22:44:19 »

And if someone wants to share this on Deskthority or reddit I would appreciate it as I don't have an account on either.

Hmm, so you are not this guy? https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/7b82w5/alps_to_mx_adapter_is_working/
I liked the way his design managed to include space to put those little rubber thingies matias/cream alps use to damp noise.

Anyway, do you think an alps + your slider would be able to fit cherry profile keycaps? I'm kinda worried if they wouldn't hit the housing before bottoming out.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 22:50:35 »
Sounds promising. Have you for tested with really thick PBT caps? Also, is the price high because of a low quantity manufacturing run? I mean these are going to cost as much as entire switches. Just to put a number on it, I'd hope more for $.25-.30 each.

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 22:54:47 »
I need this in my life.
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 23:09:48 »

And if someone wants to share this on Deskthority or reddit I would appreciate it as I don't have an account on either.

Hmm, so you are not this guy? https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/7b82w5/alps_to_mx_adapter_is_working/
I liked the way his design managed to include space to put those little rubber thingies matias/cream alps use to damp noise.

Anyway, do you think an alps + your slider would be able to fit cherry profile keycaps? I'm kinda worried if they wouldn't hit the housing before bottoming out.

No I am not the same person, I did some research before starting this project and never saw that post for some reason. There are a few reasons I don't have the ability to use the dampers atm, 1)The tooling costs more because you need inserts to make those cavities, 2) I prefer none damped switches and just didn't bother to model it which leads to 3) Don't have the money to put into getting those prototyped right now, as my first prototypes were made of a material that was recommended to me because it was similar to POM for testing purposes but it sucks and I can't even use them for actual typing as the surface is rubbery and sticks on the tactile leaf, which destroys keyfeel...so I don't want to deal with that for now and have more sliders that I can't use, maybe in a later run I will make that an option. And his design is not possible to injection mold, I had something similar and was told it was not possible by a few manufacturers due to the extra features around the stem that carried over from the alps stem. So I reviewed the design and realized that those don't really help with anything and since I made the slider fit better in the alps housing, it wouldn't be needed for stabilizing the switch.

As for the keycaps, I have checked clearance with 1.6mm DCS profile keycaps and they clear the housing, don't have any GMK keycaps to test with but the DCS R3 from SP clears so I believe GMK should clear as well.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 January 2018, 23:20:03 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 23:17:31 »
Sounds promising. Have you for tested with really thick PBT caps? Also, is the price high because of a low quantity manufacturing run? I mean these are going to cost as much as entire switches. Just to put a number on it, I'd hope more for $.25-.30 each.

I don't have super thick PBT caps on hand, have tested with 1.6mm caps that I think are DCS (can't remember where I got them) and they do clear with the SP DCS R3, but that was a thinner cap...so no gurantees on GMK or similar hard to fit profiles.

As for the cost, the tooling is what will cost quite a bit. if the tooling was say $1500 (the starting cost for some manufacturers) at a quantity of 5000 that is $.30 per switch and then you have to factor in actual production cost on top of that, plus the tiny profit I make just so I don't go crazy counting out the 5000+ sliders...I would love for the sliders to be $.30 each but at the moment I am not sure if that is going to be possible unless we get 10,000+ sliders ordered.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 23:40:57 »

No I am not the same person, I did some research before starting this project and never saw that post for some reason. There are a few reasons I don't have the ability to use the dampers atm, 1)The tooling costs more because you need inserts to make those cavities, 2) I prefer none damped switches and just didn't bother to model it which leads to 3) Don't have the money to put into getting those prototyped right now, as my first prototypes were made of a material that was recommended to me because it was similar to POM for testing purposes but it sucks and I can't even use them for actual typing as the surface is rubbery and sticks on the tactile leaf, which destroys keyfeel...so I don't want to deal with that for now and have more sliders that I can't use, maybe in a later run I will make that an option. And his design is not possible to injection mold, I had something similar and was told it was not possible by a few manufacturers due to the extra features around the stem that carried over from the alps stem. So I reviewed the design and realized that those don't really help with anything and since I made the slider fit better in the alps housing, it wouldn't be needed for stabilizing the switch.

As for the keycaps, I have checked clearance with 1.6mm DCS profile keycaps and they clear the housing, don't have any GMK keycaps to test with but the DCS R3 from SP clears so I believe GMK should clear as well.

this is extraordinary stuff if it works.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 23:49:37 »
I just have to wonder how much, if at all, the stem affects the feel and sound of alps switches. No one is quite sure precisely how the alps switches are made different to each other in order to produce the feel and sounds that they do.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 00:03:32 »
I just have to wonder how much, if at all, the stem affects the feel and sound of alps switches. No one is quite sure precisely how the alps switches are made different to each other in order to produce the feel and sounds that they do.

I wish I knew how they would change the sound of the switches, I am curious if there is a significant difference or nothing at all. But as far as feel simple things like the surface finish on the tooling can affect the feel drastically. The prototypes I have are super smooth but have a slightly rougher finish than a alps slider and and lower surface hardness and because of that I can feel the tactile/clicky leaf catching on the slider and see it(using a matias housing to see how well it fits up and actuates, as well as genuine alps switches) move up and down inside.

Also depending on the formulation of the plastic used being even slightly changed can change surface hardness and surface finish of the part(even if the tool is ultra smooth the part may not be able to harden in that fine of a structure to transfer the finish quality). I plan on using POM Homopolymer(Delrin) or if they can't use that just POM which won't be as nice but shouldn't be too much different in the final product. Since most sliders are made of some formulation of POM, I hope it won't change the beauty of the alps switch.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 01:36:22 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 00:20:57 by alienman82 »

Offline Peiweisgreat

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 01:49:01 »
I've literally have been waiting for these before I tried alps switches. Who would have known something like this would come out so soon, so down for this when it goes GB.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 02:02:06 »
You youngsters are funny. I bought my first Alps switch keyboard in 1989.

Offline schmoktopus

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 10:56:58 »
Excuse my ignorance, but are Alps switches really that unique that you cannot use MX-Switches instead? I have never tried Alps though. When i want to build an Alps board i want to make sure to have the corresponding Alps stems in there to keep it original.

Offline derzemel

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 11:06:14 »
Excuse my ignorance, but are Alps switches really that unique that you cannot use MX-Switches instead? I have never tried Alps though. When i want to build an Alps board i want to make sure to have the corresponding Alps stems in there to keep it original.
Personally, I think linear and tactile alps have a way better sound than cherry. Blue alps depend very much on the case (IMO when they are in a thick plastic case they sound better than in aluminium)

Tactile alps, especially the old complicated version, have the tactilw bump right at the top (similar to topre) but they also have a mechanical feel to them.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 11:08:56 »

They feel a lot different for tactile and clicky switches due to the tactile/clicky metal leaf rather than a plastic click jacket or a small plastic bump. They generate tactility/clickyness in entirely different ways, which causes different sound and feeling. No cherry switch feels the same as a clicky alps, which is my favorite.

Offline jrfhoutx

• Post count is meaningless if the content is trash.
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 13:18:13 »
I'll be down for at least a hundred of these, and more if the price gets under $0.50 a slider...

Very happy to see someone taking this approach to the problem.

Offline consolation

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 16:39:02 »
Many of the older alps sliders were factory lubed, more like dry ptfe style coat then a grease, have you looked into getting a coat applied at manufacturing? It does make a significant difference to smoothness, and seems to be part of the reason why poorly treated Alps loose some of their amazing feel.

Also, I'd include a cut out for the rubber bumpers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline consolation

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 16:47:23 »

The best cherry types; gatistotles, zealios, are comparable to average alps like matias or simplified white, but the best alps, the oranges and blues - are just off the scale good.

There are a few downsides, you need to find them in good condition, they are hard to find or expensive to buy, and you get custom caps once a year; if you are lucky.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 17:37:05 »
Many of the older alps sliders were factory lubed, more like dry ptfe style coat then a grease, have you looked into getting a coat applied at manufacturing? It does make a significant difference to smoothness, and seems to be part of the reason why poorly treated Alps loose some of their amazing feel.

Also, I'd include a cut out for the rubber bumpers.

The problem with having them prelubed would be that you can't control what happens to the lube in the bags during shipping and sorting. They will be loose and that will cause some to be more lubed than others and some to be underlubed. And I don't think any of the manufacturers have equipment to do so, as Alps had the money to make that equipment, and the cost would be prohibitive for this low of quantity. If I were ordering well over 500,000 then maybe I would be able to do a lube process, but I don't have that kind of capital to invest in this.

As for the bumpers atm I will not be doing a run, maybe next round if I open the option and there is a lot of interest. Just putting the bumpers in would require a new mold that is separate to the current option. And if this round goes well, I may open up the next round in a couple months after this run has been delivered and I have a small break to run another group buy in between for something else.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 18:13:34 »
What alps exactly?  Is this the ChaALPS that was on reddit? 

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 18:17:23 »

I don't quite get what you are meaning...These are sliders that will work in both genuine alps as well as matias switches. I have never heard of ChaALPS and even google came up with no result, so not sure what those are.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 18:18:58 »

I don't quite get what you are meaning...These are sliders that will work in both genuine alps as well as matias switches. I have never heard of ChaALPS and even google came up with no result, so not sure what those are.

Umm nevermind just thought it was the same guy. 

Anyway, never used alps, what would i need to buy over this to get the best/BIGGER tactility? 

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 18:33:18 »

Anyway, never used alps, what would i need to buy over this to get the best/BIGGER tactility?

If you were to get this and matias quiet click switches and slightly bend the tactile leaf open more you get a more pronounced bump and a slightly heavier switch. Which in total should be cheaper than zealios switches.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 18:42:21 »

If you were to get this and matias quiet click switches and slightly bend the tactile leaf open more you get a more pronounced bump and a slightly heavier switch. Which in total should be cheaper than zealios switches.

but this will make the switches not similar between them (i mean bending the leaf), am i wrong?   
Also the whole thing will make the switch more tactile than zandas/ergopandas/ergoclears/clears?   

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 18:49:09 »
but this will make the switches not similar between them (i mean bending the leaf), am i wrong?   
Also the whole thing will make the switch more tactile than zandas/ergopandas/ergoclears/clears?

That is true that each switch would be slightly different. But I in all honesty don't know what tactile switch would be best for you. I am a clicky switch lover and that is what I look at. I have never tried zandas/ergopandas/ergoclears, I have tried clear, brown, tactile grey and gateron brown, but have never been a huge fan. So I am not the right person to ask this to.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 18:53:00 »

That is true that each switch would be slightly different. But I in all honesty don't know what tactile switch would be best for you. I am a clicky switch lover and that is what I look at. I have never tried zandas/ergopandas/ergoclears, I have tried clear, brown, tactile grey and gateron brown, but have never been a huge fan. So I am not the right person to ask this to.

Oky. Thanks for the answers! 

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 10:56:20 »
Just an update, in just over a day we are almost at 4000 sliders once I get around 7000 I will open the GB. Keep sharing this and we may be able to start orders this week if interest keeps growing at this rate!! Would be awesome to have these sliders in everyone's hands early next month. The more people we get the cheaper the sliders get, should be getting quotes starting tomorrow so I will know pricing better then.

Offline alisonica

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 13:44:00 »
Just an update, in just over a day we are almost at 4000 sliders once I get around 7000 I will open the GB. Keep sharing this and we may be able to start orders this week if interest keeps growing at this rate!! Would be awesome to have these sliders in everyone's hands early next month. The more people we get the cheaper the sliders get, should be getting quotes starting tomorrow so I will know pricing better then.

Hey, you can add a confirmed 480 Stems, recently scored SKCM Neon Greens, <3

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 13:47:31 »

Hey, you can add a confirmed 480 Stems, recently scored SKCM Neon Greens, <3

Just fill out the form, that way I have you info. and can update you when this goes live, which at this rate won't be far away!!!

Offline bminhz

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 15:10:49 »
Got in for 130 stems

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 15:39:30 »
Updated OP with the current quantity and a small statement.

Offline azharkh

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 16:56:00 »
The Alps messiah has come.

Offline SJHL

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 10:35:49 »
Im def interested and willing to give it a try!

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 11:02:59 »
This is the type of stuff I love to see, nice work!<3

Is the slider height the same? Just thinking about the stabilized keys. Would definitely love to see a video with a functioning prototype! I have some thick cherry caps from each row if you wanted to test them  :thumb:

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 11:45:56 »

Is the slider height the same? Just thinking about the stabilized keys. Would definitely love to see a video with a functioning prototype! I have some thick cherry caps from each row if you wanted to test them  :thumb:

The sliders are the exact same height as a matias slider, the alps sliders are a tad taller inside the switch housing, but it isn't a necessary part for them to work and I have tested it on my alps board and it works perfectly. I may upload a short clip of them sometime today. I may take you up on the keycap offer...

Quick update: Hit 6300 sliders!!! Getting closer to a GB. Got the first quote in today and...won't be using them as I would have to sell them at $1.10 each which is way too much for these. Hopefully the tooling cost from the others is was lower than their $4500...

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 12:38:42 »

The sliders are the exact same height as a matias slider, the alps sliders are a tad taller inside the switch housing, but it isn't a necessary part for them to work and I have tested it on my alps board and it works perfectly. I may upload a short clip of them sometime today. I may take you up on the keycap offer...

Quick update: Hit 6300 sliders!!! Getting closer to a GB. Got the first quote in today and...won't be using them as I would have to sell them at $1.10 each which is way too much for these. Hopefully the tooling cost from the others is was lower than their $4500...

I mean, we definitely need a video at some point.  I filled out the IC for 2 sets of 130 (i think), but I wouldn't actually buy them without seeing a demo.  We probably need to a typing demo to hear them compared to original alps switches, and we also need to see a wobble test on both 1u and stabilized keys.  If you want to go the extra mile, you could show them with different profile caps installed (Cherry 1,2,3,4  DSA, SA, DCS, etc...)

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 13:08:45 »

I mean, we definitely need a video at some point.  I filled out the IC for 2 sets of 130 (i think), but I wouldn't actually buy them without seeing a demo.  We probably need to a typing demo to hear them compared to original alps switches, and we also need to see a wobble test on both 1u and stabilized keys.  If you want to go the extra mile, you could show them with different profile caps installed (Cherry 1,2,3,4  DSA, SA, DCS, etc...)

I can't really give an accurate typing demo seeing as the prototypes were 3d printed out of an entirely different material. I can get a much nicer prototype but that costs $25 for just 10 sliders...If I must do it then I will bite the bullet but I already spent $25 on the last prototypes to find out the material that I was suggested was horrible for key feel but great for dimensional stability.

I can only test OEM, DCS and soon EDRUG key profiles as I have never bought keysets until recently (the EDRUG). Only problem with showing wobble is I don't have a board or anything to mount a cherry stab to with an alps switch. I am a mechanical engineer if that makes you feel better about accuracy of parts and everything. I have done injection molding before and know what it takes to have a good design from that.

I do get actual production samples once we place the production order which would then give the most accurate sound and key feel. I need to know if that is a must for more people though, otherwise I really don't want to buy more prototypes to find out the material was once again crap, I already have 50 useless sliders, I don't want 10 more expensive ones as well.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 13:14:51 »

I can't really give an accurate typing demo seeing as the prototypes were 3d printed out of an entirely different material. I can get a much nicer prototype but that costs $25 for just 10 sliders...If I must do it then I will bite the bullet but I already spent $25 on the last prototypes to find out the material that I was suggested was horrible for key feel but great for dimensional stability.

I can only test OEM, DCS and soon EDRUG key profiles as I have never bought keysets until recently (the EDRUG). Only problem with showing wobble is I don't have a board or anything to mount a cherry stab to with an alps switch. I am a mechanical engineer if that makes you feel better about accuracy of parts and everything. I have done injection molding before and know what it takes to have a good design from that.

I do get actual production samples once we place the production order which would then give the most accurate sound and key feel. I need to know if that is a must for more people though, otherwise I really don't want to buy more prototypes to find out the material was once again crap, I already have 50 useless sliders, I don't want 10 more expensive ones as well.

I'll pay for the 10 sliders if you'll slap them on the home row and type.  Send me a PM and I'll give you my paypal.  Anyone wanna pony up for sending him some keycaps?

Offline shadowrealmwarez

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 13:24:37 »

I'll pay for the 10 sliders if you'll slap them on the home row and type.  Send me a PM and I'll give you my paypal.  Anyone wanna pony up for sending him some keycaps?

I got some useless grab bag keys I'd happily send if you need more profiles.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 13:35:14 »

I think I sent you a pm, can't tell as I hit send but it doesn't show in my sent messages...so not 100% sure if it went through.

See what sncbraxsc2 is going to send me, so we cover as much as possible.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 13:43:08 »

I think I sent you a pm, can't tell as I hit send but it doesn't show in my sent messages...so not 100% sure if it went through.

See what sncbraxsc2 is going to send me, so we cover as much as possible.

I got it.  you have to send a copy to yourself to save it as a sent item on here.  I already sent the funds.  Good luck.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 13:52:11 »
I got it.  you have to send a copy to yourself to save it as a sent item on here.  I already sent the funds.  Good luck.

Order placed!! Thank you for the help. Once these are in I will try my best to get a good sound demonstration and go over how key feel is in comparison. I don't have a mic setup but will see how well everything comes out on my camera first.

Also quick update: I have received the first 2 quotes and both are prohibitively expensive($1.10 to $1.20 per slider). If the next two are similar in cost I will have to look else where to have these made. If anyone knows of a manufacturer that may be able to help and make these in acetal (POM) I would really appreciate it.

Offline ZayaCaps

• Instagram
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 16:01:05 »

Also quick update: I have received the first 2 quotes and both are prohibitively expensive($1.10 to $1.20 per slider). If the next two are similar in cost I will have to look else where to have these made. If anyone knows of a manufacturer that may be able to help and make these in acetal (POM) I would really appreciate it.

Oof. That is a pricey estimate. Do you have an idea how much a larger order would reduce the cost?

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 16:10:35 »

Oof. That is a pricey estimate. Do you have an idea how much a larger order would reduce the cost?

So in order for us to get a reasonable price ($0.50) We would need to have 20,000+ sliders ordered...currently the interest is just below 7000 sooo that is going to be a hard goal. I am still waiting on the quotes from some cheaper, still good, manufacturers, the first two are known for being quite pricey but have amazing quality that I trust (Used them when I worked a at large test equipment manufacturer and they charged $1000 to CNC a small piece of sheet aluminum...)

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 17:41:53 »
Have you tried talking to any mechanical switch manufacturers? I can put you in touch with Greetech if you want.
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 18:23:41 »
Have you tried talking to any mechanical switch manufacturers? I can put you in touch with Greetech if you want.

No I haven't. Would they actually let me keep the rights to the molds though? Most manufacturers give the rights and ownership to the customer in case they need to move to another manufacturer in the future for some reason. Not trying to be rude buy they are a knock-off company so that is my only worry that they would sell this from under me and try and profit when I just want them at cost. Just something I am slightly worried about.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 18:36:07 »
There is KBDfans.  They are selling JTK sliders.  Maybe they would sell yours :)

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 18:49:08 »
There is KBDfans.  They are selling JTK sliders.  Maybe they would sell yours :)

That is an option. Does anyone know how much the jtk sliders had in interest or did he just take the plunge? Never paid any attention to topre as I prefer alps so didn't bother. If we have a close enough interest level to jtk sliders at the beginning I may contact them to see if they would want a large order of them or something like that. I mean the interest level in just 3ish days has jumped to almost 7000, so that does show people want these.