Author Topic: [IC] ISO-based split spacebar 60% PCB & plate -- a layout for today and tomorrow  (Read 6610 times)

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
Hello! I've been toying with the idea of split spacebar 60% for a good while. There's a few good reasons:
- Full language support, which can't be said for 40%s which use less keys than some languages will require
- It's nice to put those thumbs to work!
- Keycap compatibility
- Case compatibility
- It's just a sweetspot size :)

Recently we got the Banana Split and its clone, DZ60. These have a nice 2.75/1.25/2.25 split, but there's a few issues:
- Compatibility is a bit lacking: you'll need to get an ISO + ANSI kit in order to fill in the spacebars
- AltGr is reduced to 1u if you want to use vim-style arrow keys.
- There aren't many convex keycaps matching the spacebars.

So, after a bit of tweaking, I bring you {{ TBA }}!
185886-0

This solves the above issues:
- AltGr is in its standard size. As it is a key essential to many european layouts and is to be chorded with your thumb, the extra surface area adds a lot of comfort.
- The spacebars can be substituted with the numpad's 2u keys until you can truly convex keycaps, such a sfrom GMK.
- 3u spacebars can be sourced from XDA or Filco Minila kits and give a nice two way symmetric split if you'd prefer that -- this was not an option on Banana Split
- 6u is available for a more standard layout if you wish to use that.

This is a layout that supports your language as long as you can find a standard 100% kit, such as Filco SA, Ducky ABS doubleshots, or perhaps Varmilo dyesubs. Hence, this is a keyboard that'll support your language today. No need for blanks, incorrect legends, filler keys from other sets. This is your layout, your language, today!

This is also a layout that'll be the one for you tomorrow. When the next big GMK set arrives, this is still the better fit. Thanks to convex 2u spacebars, you'll be able to fill the board with each keycap with the right legend and the right profile! The standard 1.25u AltGr is also there, which is statistically 25% more than 1u.

Demonstrated below is how it'd be compatible with a standard layout kit. Note that the only keys out of their standard positions are the arrow keys and spacebars. Furthermore you can replace the § with Esc and backspace with keys from the navigation cluster without any issues.
185888-1

Currently planned for the buy:
- Brass plate
- PCB
- Optional: screw in stabilisers for 2u, 3u, and 6u keys
- Optional: 2x Filco Minila OEM 3u spacebars

PCB spec:
- Atmega32u4 powered -- runs on QMK
- RGB underglow
- Backlight
- Support for MX-style switches, plate and PCB mount
- Pok3r case compatible
- Mini-USB port
- Holtite compatible, due to the whole "works today, works tomorrow" idea.

Plate spec:
- 1.5mm brass
- Surface treated to deter corrosion
- Supports switch top removal
- Pok3r case compatible

Not planned:
- Alps support. Unfortunately this complicates the stabilisers, and there are fewer convex spacebars available, AFAIK.
- Costar stabiliser support

This would be shipped from Sweden, meaning no import taxes for EU countries. I have not yet done any real counting on it but I'd wager a ballpark estimate would be €60 + shipping. This probably depends on quantity as I'd expect this GB to land anywhere between 5 and 50 participants. If you'd like to cooperate in any way, feel free to message me! If you have any feedback on the design, please post it here!

P.S.: I'm not trying to just defame the Banana Split. I think it's a great layout, but there are some parts that I think needed improvement. Maybe not for everyone, but it did for me. This is my attempt at a design for ISO users first and foremost.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 January 2018, 08:06:45 by Krakob »
Ducky Shine 2 (MX Blue, white backlight) • Obins Anne Pro (Gateron Brown) • Model M • XD60

Offline nastrovje

I like the idea a lot.

If you could make the plate so it fits the upcoming HHKB-style cases Ares or Tokyo60 I would be fully sold.

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
I like the idea a lot.

If you could make the plate so it fits the upcoming HHKB-style cases Ares or Tokyo60 I would be fully sold.

Unfortunately it looks like both of them use non-standard plate styles -- Tokyo has it built into the top piece and Ares has it screwed into the bottom of the chassis along the edges. I believe HHKB-style is out of the scope of this project.
Ducky Shine 2 (MX Blue, white backlight) • Obins Anne Pro (Gateron Brown) • Model M • XD60

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
I like the idea a lot.

Unfortunately it looks like both of them use non-standard plate styles -- Tokyo has it built into the top piece and Ares has it screwed into the bottom of the chassis along the edges. I believe HHKB-style is out of the scope of this project.

Looks great! Unfortunately not an iso User otherwise I would be all over this.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 January 2018, 12:19:40 by FoC_Tow »

Offline menuhin

Cool idea about 6u and 3 x 2u.

However, I'm not an ISO user. And 1u Alt-Gr (which is the biggest point your want to improve the BananaSplit) doesn't bother me to much as a touch typist. By the way, I hate 1.25u "standard" modifier keys, they are the inventions / they became popular only because of "Windows keys". In the past many keyboards have 1.5u modifiers - which is a way bigger difference than 1u.

Will keep an eye on this project.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline nwolf

What happened, with this project?

Offline TuCZnak

He probably realized how difficult sourcing the spacebars in required quantities would be - dunno of any set that would offer 3x 2U or 2x 3U spacebars, leaving you with having to buy spacebar pack for that 6U only so you could have a bit bigger right alt.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp

He probably realized how difficult sourcing the spacebars in required quantities would be - dunno of any set that would offer 3x 2U or 2x 3U spacebars, leaving you with having to buy spacebar pack for that 6U only so you could have a bit bigger right alt.

These are easier to find than ever nowadays. EnjoyPBT kits now include 2x3u and KPRepublic sells very affordable spacebar kits.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Uryftw

Is the project dead?