Author Topic: Why are GMK so expensive  (Read 5092 times)

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
Why are GMK so expensive
« on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 15:39:01 »
I really want to know cause they looks like really nice keycaps but it's hard for me to understand why they are so expensive

Offline zslane

Re: Why are GMK so expensive
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 15:47:13 »
Mostly due to the low quantities they are manufactured at. Custom keycap sets are a very niche product, and are made at such tiny quantities that there is very little economy of scale to help lower prices.

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 15:49:06 »
Thanks i knew they made them in small quantities but yeah i really do need to get a set to them

Offline Kavik

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 16:13:40 »
They are also made in Germany. Anything made in a first world country costs significantly more. That combined with the small scale of most sets, as Zslane said, makes them rather pricey.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 16:15:51 »
Also could the cherry orgins of the keycaps make them cost more :P

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 16:35:34 »
They aren't expensive when compared to other sets. Just look at the price of SA keys made by signature plastic, or to the price of enjoypbt sets. When you consider that gmk often includes a lot of extra keys, you'll see that quality sets are priced similarly. Then there are inexpensive sets by taihao, that are, well, thin. Not long ago a gmk set sold by massdrop was sold for 99 USD

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 18:27:21 »
Huh good to know i do have a set of shine through abs double shots from tai hao and they are quite good so getting a set of gmk should be good comparison

Offline Happy Hopping

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 00:55:42 »
I hope there is glass keycap in the future.  They have laser glass keyboard but no tactile feedback.  5 yr. ago, we can say the same thing w/ glass case.  Nowadays, half of the cases are glasses, and they are thick enough that it doesn't break.  How hard is it for technology to have glass keycap in the future?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 22:47:49 »
I hope there is glass keycap in the future.  They have laser glass keyboard but no tactile feedback.  5 yr. ago, we can say the same thing w/ glass case.  Nowadays, half of the cases are glasses, and they are thick enough that it doesn't break.  How hard is it for technology to have glass keycap in the future?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=87503.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=90281.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=92975.0
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 14 January 2018, 00:01:16 »
The Euro is stronger vs. the US Dollar atm as well, than it was 3-4 years ago when sets would regularly start at ~$115 instead of today's $135 or so.