Author Topic: [IC] QSS (Quantrik's Spread Sheet) Keyboard - Feat. Left Hand Arrow Cluster  (Read 6813 times)

Offline Quantastrophus

Hi all,

This is a new keyboard that I have been working on and was hoping to get feedback.  It has a unique layout that I have not seen before and features left side arrows keys. This is great for using the mouse with your right hand and arrow keys with the left.

Miscellaneous information:
  • Aluminum 6063 & Brass
  • QMK PCB
  • Top Mounted Plate
  • 5 degree angle

Please comment. Thanks!
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 January 2018, 10:42:31 by Quantastrophus »

Offline neralo

Re: [IC] QSS (Quantrik's Spread Sheet)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 January 2018, 02:25:16 »
4 points check everything I look for in a keyboard, but weird layouts are always a plus.

USB C or miniUSB?
HHKB Pro 2 55g | TGR 910 55g Vintage Blacks | Apple Standard M0116 Orange Alps | Rosewill RK9000 Cherry MX Blues | Diverge TM 2 WKLears

Offline Quantastrophus

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 January 2018, 02:28:42 »
4 points check everything I look for in a keyboard, but weird layouts are always a plus.

USB C or miniUSB?

Both are possible but the current design uses Mini USB. It depends what people want and I will try to get a google form up at some point tomorrow

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 January 2018, 19:23:01 »
Very interested, looks great!

Offline Canceaux

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 January 2018, 21:36:05 »
This keyboard is an instant buy for me. Just imagine this with GMK Oblivion or Terminal...
Leopold FC750R, Cherry MX Blues

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 January 2018, 23:10:01 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 00:20:56 by alienman82 »

Offline Canceaux

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 00:08:35 »
I'd personally disagree; IMO the 60% market is really saturated right now (DO60/underglow case, M0110, Capsunlocked 60%, Bluetooth 60% all coming up, the Klippe that just dropped again, and of course the popular mid-tier Chinese options like the Tina 60 and DZ60/5° combo constantly available &c &c). A more conventional version of this keyboard would be cool down the line, though!

For me, the layout makes this board worth the buy. Obviously replacing the left two mods will be polarizing. I won't miss them, as I map Control to Caps and Super to a tap/hold combo with Tab anyway, but it might ruin some people's workflow.  But a left nav/macro cluster would be really useful for me, especially for gaming or working. I'm sure there will be enough like-minded people to make this GB a success. Bring on the left nav!
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 January 2018, 00:50:58 by Canceaux »
Leopold FC750R, Cherry MX Blues

Offline finalarcadia

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 07:43:47 »
This is very cool and would totally go for it if I still have money left after your SX60. Would love it even more with an option for HHKB blocker on right side.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 16:50:12 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 00:20:55 by alienman82 »

Offline Quantastrophus

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 14 January 2018, 21:03:29 »
I'd personally disagree; IMO the 60% market is really saturated right now (DO60/underglow case, M0110, Capsunlocked 60%, Bluetooth 60% all coming up, the Klippe that just dropped again, and of course the popular mid-tier Chinese options like the Tina 60 and DZ60/5° combo constantly available &c &c). A more conventional version of this keyboard would be cool down the line, though!

For me, the layout makes this board worth the buy. Obviously replacing the left two mods will be polarizing. I won't miss them, as I map Control to Caps and Super to a tap/hold combo with Tab anyway, but it might ruin some people's workflow.  But a left nav/macro cluster would be really useful for me, especially for gaming or working. I'm sure there will be enough like-minded people to make this GB a success. Bring on the left nav!

Honestly I would love for this layout to succeed but I'm not sure that there is enough interest from the community for it to become a reality.  If I don't get enough participation in the interest check stage I will probably change the design to a 60% keyboard unfortunately.

Offline Shados

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 17:07:47 »
Oooh. I really like this, but I absolutely need two modifiers on the bottom row on the left (I have a crapload of global hotkeys for things on Super+Alt+something).

Could you have the PCB/plate also accommodate a layout with 2x1u on the left of a 6.25u spacebar (or 6u, if need be), even if that meant the bottom row was more right-shifted than usual? What're the units in the bottom-row layout shown in the render?

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 10:41:43 »

Honestly I would love for this layout to succeed but I'm not sure that there is enough interest from the community for it to become a reality.  If I don't get enough participation in the interest check stage I will probably change the design to a 60% keyboard unfortunately.

lame, but understandable

Offline Quantastrophus

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 15:35:43 »
Oooh. I really like this, but I absolutely need two modifiers on the bottom row on the left (I have a crapload of global hotkeys for things on Super+Alt+something).

Could you have the PCB/plate also accommodate a layout with 2x1u on the left of a 6.25u spacebar (or 6u, if need be), even if that meant the bottom row was more right-shifted than usual? What're the units in the bottom-row layout shown in the render?

I will try to be accommodate all possible layouts since this is a pretty niche design.

Offline ZayaCaps

• Instagram
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 15:46:50 »
I'm always a fan of unique layouts, so this is looking good. If it's priced reasonably, I'm in.

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 20:53:15 »

Offline Quantastrophus

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 00:09:32 »
I'm always a fan of unique layouts, so this is looking good. If it's priced reasonably, I'm in.

I think the price should be pretty reasonable. I will open up a google form soon for an interest check and if that goes well I'll move forward with getting a prototype made.

Offline Harms

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 04:02:50 »
This layout is amazing!

Will have my eyes on this for sure.

Offline Woovie

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 19:24:20 »
 :thumb: yes please

Offline Oboeguy

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 19:55:14 »
You'd get a buy from this spreadsheet jockey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline The_judge_168

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 21:41:40 »
Interesting layout. I'd like it more if the arrows on left were more on the left column vs taking away keys on left side of board

Offline reggalicious

Re: [IC] QSS (Quantrik's Spread Sheet) Keyboard - Feat. Left Hand Arrow Cluster
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 10:10:49 »
This is an interesting design, but I would get thrown off not having the shortcuts for copy/cut/paste where I'm used to.  The KMAC Mini is my favorite layout, and this is kind of the left handed version. 

If this doesn't generate enough interest, a KMAC Mini-style layout would be my ideal second place.