Author Topic: Serial Trackball keyboard issues  (Read 1657 times)

Offline rich1051414

Serial Trackball keyboard issues
« on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 19:07:49 »
I recently came across a keyboard using an interesting alps clone switch, but that isn't what this is about. It is about the trackball. I have attempted to get it running, but I have no experience adapting serial mice to USB, so I am not exactly sure where the problem is, if it is the keyboard, or if it is my process for adapting to USB, so any help would be great.

Here is picks of the keyboard:

186312-0
186310-1

I am using a passive serial to PS2 adapter for the mouse, and then using a ps/2 keyboard and mouse USB dongle, and I have tried 2 different ones, both did not work. Also I tried using a native PS/2 port with a break out cable, that also didn't work. When I do hook the mouse up, the Mouse LED lights when I press one of the click buttons, but it sends nothing to the OS, at least, nothing it recognizes. Am I doing something wrong?

The keyboard itself works fine, it is just the trackball section and mouse buttons I cannot get to function.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 January 2018, 19:10:16 by rich1051414 »
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline Tactile

Re: Serial Trackball keyboard issues
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 15 January 2018, 23:24:01 »
You might get some ideas by looking at this thread.
REΛLFORCE

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 08:06:47 »
You might get some ideas by looking at this thread.
Unfortunately that is for bus mice. This trackball has a serial connector, so I THOUGHT it would use the same protocol as PS/2 for mice, but maybe I am confused about this. At this point, I am not really sure if I am converting it wrong, or if there is something wrong with it.

I am currently waiting on a serial to USB adapter with a chipset known to work in linux and windows 10. From what I understand, if I hook a mouse to it, windows will automatically recognize it as a USB mouse, but we will see how that goes. Also, it seems to pull too much power to power both the keyboard and mouse from a single USB connector, so that may explain why my USB dongles won't work, but still not sure about that. Either way, once the USB to serial connector arrives, I can confirm if it is actually sending data or not.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 January 2018, 08:15:34 by rich1051414 »
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline Tactile

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 10:11:45 »
Since he converted from <something> to USB, I thought you might get some ideas to use for your project. And the level of detail, I thought, would be informative. Sorry that it wasn't helpful.
REΛLFORCE