Author Topic: Restoring DELL AT101W/102W and cleaning ALPS switches?  (Read 2718 times)

Offline Azmodan

• Strangers have the best candy!
Restoring DELL AT101W/102W and cleaning ALPS switches?
« on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 11:54:14 »
I have decided that this month I am going to start looking for good condition DELL AT101W and DELL AT102W. Since from reading a few articles regarding ALPS black and watching a couple of videos on YouTube, it is clear to me that most probably I will need to clean the ALPS switches since they do not like dirt.

Anyone has any good sources/guides in cleaning ALPS switches and/or DELL 101/102 in general? I want to do a full restore if possible down to the minute detail.

Thanks in advance.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
Re: Restoring DELL AT101W/102W and cleaning ALPS switches?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 15:51:28 »
Ultrasonic cleaners work very well.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 20:48:57 »
What I have discovered is that if the switches are already dirty, cleaning won't do much to restore them. Canned air is fine to blow the dust out.

However, I also discovered that with the black Alps, at least in my earlier At-101 (pre windows key, "early" black Alps), taking out the click leaf results in a linear switch superior to Green Alps on a good day.

Feels like Bentley level luxury (imagine if key switches contained air hydraulics) despite the mildly disgusting yellowing of the board. I will never give it away or sell it. (The perceived value would be too low anyway. If many people knew how good it felt, I have no doubt that they would be will to pay much more than current value).
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 January 2018, 20:52:59 by ThoughtArtist »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 00:22:21 »
As stated above, there's only a limit to how much damage you can restore, but if you're going to do it, sonication is the best way. And yeah, I agree I'd linearise it, the result is mildly incredible.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Azmodan

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 13:36:26 »
Well I managed to get my hands on two DELL AT102w and they both look in really good condition. One was apparently suiting in a cupboard for 10 years and I think it is true since it is almost as white as when it was new. Couldn't tell from the pics if it was retro brighten.

Can't wait to get both in hand and see how they are close up. I will possibly linearise on of the two as suggested and will post the pics and work done eventually.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 January 2018, 16:44:35 by fohat.digs »
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline Azmodan

« Last Edit: Sun, 28 January 2018, 14:06:39 by Azmodan »

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 22:43:28 »
I sonic clean the whole switch (separated of course) in water + denture tablets for 15 minutes maybe. Then i dry everything and hit the metal parts with deoxidant d5. Let it dry and reassemble. If you have major wear on the slider from being dirty, You might try a dry lube. Nothing beats a fresh switch though. Your milage may vary.
-Dana