Author Topic: Anyone know the DIP switch settings for the old., 8-switch DT225 Trackball?  (Read 9768 times)

Offline Red October

I've got one, RS-232, branded Joystick Technologies RollerMouse.  Lovely thing, built like a tank, but it has four buttons, and I've figured out that the DIP switches can let you control the speed and if the top buttons toggle or not, but I can't find the whole listing of possible combinations, which is a pain because there's some that don't seem to do anything individually which leads me to believe that there might be combinations.  Hopefully I can figure out how to get one or both of the upper buttons to be a middle button so I can scroll in the browser at least.  I've seen literature that suggests that it should be able to go into 3-button Mouse Systems mode, but it's not first-party so I just don't know.  It could be for a later model or some other thing, I understand that CH Products made a lot of different oddball (pun maybe intended?) stuff so, uh, yeah.

Offline Tactile

I think there was a change at some point of the dip switches. I have info on the 12 position DIP switch model. Since yours is not 12 position this might not help. Perhaps the eight switch version only eliminated 9, 10, 11, &12, which seem a bit redundant, anyway.

Switch #          Switch OFF          Switch ON
3              normal cursor speed    half cursor speed
4              normal cursor speed   double cursor speed
3&4          normal cursor speed    quarter cursor speed
5              1200 baud rate           9600 baud rate
6              click lock ON               click lock OFF
7              2 button                     3 button            (2 button called "Microsoft mode" 3 button called "Mouse Systems mode")
8              buttons normal          left/right buttons reversed
9&11        must be ON for serial mode
10&12      must be OFF for serial mode
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 March 2018, 23:30:46 by Tactile »
REΛLFORCE

Offline Red October

I think there was a change at some point of the dip switches. I have info on the 12 position DIP switch model. Since yours is not 12 position this might not help. Perhaps the eight switch version only eliminated 9, 10, 11, &12, which seem a bit redundant, anyway.

Switch #          Switch OFF          Switch ON
3              normal cursor speed    half cursor speed
4              normal cursor speed   double cursor speed
3&4          normal cursor speed    quarter cursor speed
5              1200 baud rate           9600 baud rate
6              click lock ON               click lock OFF
7              2 button                     3 button            (2 button called "Microsoft mode" 3 button called "Mouse Systems mode")
8              buttons normal          left/right buttons reversed
9&11        must be ON for serial mode
10&12      must be OFF for serial mode

Thanks but this is pretty much what I turn up already, and it's clearly not right to this model.  What I have now, switch one swaps left & right button.  Two is a mystery.  Three toggles locking of top-right button and four the top-left.  Five is a speed boost, six is a steep speed cut.  Five doesn't seem to override six.  Seven and Eight don't seem to do anything.  This is just what I've figured out playing with the settings with the thing plugged in to this very machine.  I wonder, is this, perhaps, a less capable model? 

Offline Tactile

I'm curious if yours has a date mark. My PS/2 model with 12 switches is marked on the bottom "0741" - the 41st week of 2007.
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 March 2018, 09:32:24 by Tactile »
REΛLFORCE

Offline Red October

I'm curious if yours has a date mark. My PS/2 model with 12 switches is marked on the bottom "0741" - the 41st week of 2007.

I will check it out when I get home tonight; it's a very old one, that I know.  I will crack it open, take pictures of ICs and so on, if relevant.  Who knows, there may even be something printed inside to help me out!

Offline Red October

Mine has no obvious date code, a silver label with FCC boilerplate and a place for a serial number but no serial number, and a white sticker smack dab in the middle of the FCC compliance statement reading ET2655.  I'm assuming this is meant to be the serial number and not a date code of any sort.  To open the case, requires removing the rubber feet, and I'm not sure I want to do that as this unit is pristine.  I will look deeper into it perhaps tomorrow.

Offline Red October

Alight, first of all, sorry that this took so long.  I had been using this trackball and I was unwilling to crack it open while I needed it, but I got its replacement a couple days ago (it wasn't really suited to the application I was using it for) so now I'm comfortable doing it.  Secondly, let me apologize for the quality of the photographs, I'm still getting used to my new-to-me D1.  But, here are photographs of my Joystick Technologies Rollermouse: