Author Topic: [IC] Sea Wall (CLOSED)  (Read 7155 times)

Offline starhacker

[IC] Sea Wall (CLOSED)
« on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 14:56:05 »
UPDATE:
I will be dropping the IC on Sea Wall due to similarities with Abyss. Thanks all for the feedback!

Hello.
This is the second design iteration I have been working on for my first key set: Sea Wall
The main inspirations were HyperFuse, Calm Depths, and the sea wall from Blade Runner. I wanted to mix up an industrial-gray scheme with a marine base.

Due to the color palette and what I think would work well with the colors, I was thinking of going forward with Signature Plastics DCS profile, doubleshot ABS.
Of course, I am considering other possibilities!

Here are some renders.

Base Key Set
195238-0" alt="" class="bbc_img" />

Ortho/Planck
195240-1" alt="" class="bbc_img" />

ISO
195242-2" alt="" class="bbc_img" />

Mono Legend Keys Sample
195244-3" alt="" class="bbc_img" />

Here are some palette variants.

Variant 1
195246-4" alt="" class="bbc_img" />

Variant 2
195248-5" alt="" class="bbc_img" />

First feedback post: https://www.reddit.com/r/keycapdesigners/comments/8hj90j/sea_wall_initial_design/?st=jgy17z8b&sh=c4bf2cfc

Current Development Plans
  • 3D renderings
  • Possibility of novelty keys/custom icons
  • Explore options for fonts that would better compliment the set
  • See what kits to focus on for further development. My current priorities are the base kit and ortho

What do you all think about the set? All feedback is welcome!
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 July 2018, 00:36:23 by starhacker »

Offline oh_chesteroni

Re: [IC] Sea Wall
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 15:00:10 »
Nice looking set, definitely consider my interest pique!

Any reason you're going DCS over something like cherry profile?

Edit: I am also particular the variations two with the grayish blue alphas as opposed to the dolch colored ones. I'd also have to see it in the renders As color accuracy isn't that good using KLE, the minty green color is just too in my face. I like the color, could we find something that is ever so slightly more muted?
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 May 2018, 15:07:09 by oh_chesteroni »

Offline enrique.aliaga

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 15:14:11 »
This looks very pretty!! Depending on the timing of other group buys, I might join.

Offline starhacker

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 15:15:38 »

Edit: I am also particular the variations two with the grayish blue alphas as opposed to the dolch colored ones. I'd also have to see it in the renders As color accuracy isn't that good using KLE, the minty green color is just too in my face. I like the color, could we find something that is ever so slightly more muted?

I would like to do Cherry. Might have to go with GMK and work with custom colors to achieve something close to the original palette.

I can also play around with the mint color and make sure it does not stand out too much. For the next iteration I will do 3D renders and see how the colors work out.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 15:19:43 »
This more or less already exists as SA Abyss, though just a GMK-style base kit, no ortho etc

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 15:21:37 »

I would like to do Cherry. Might have to go with GMK and work with custom colors to achieve something close to the original palette.

I can also play around with the mint color and make sure it does not stand out too much. For the next iteration I will do 3D renders and see how the colors work out.
Oh I see, these are all stock SP colors eh? I think it's definitely worth a shot to look into pricing from GMK. I have no experience with DCS, but I've heard that it's thinner than SA or cherry from gmk (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

If we must stick with SP, than I would love to see this set in SA profile. It would look beautiful!

Offline starhacker

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 15:33:52 »
This more or less already exists as SA Abyss, though just a GMK-style base kit, no ortho etc

Show Image

It is similar but there some details that are bit different. I wanted an extra color to give a bit more focus to the alpha section. The dark navy keys have light blue as text instead of mint. The gray keys have mint text. The mint accent keys have a grayish-blue text (same as number keys color). Now I have a better idea how the colors would look in real life!
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 May 2018, 15:35:57 by starhacker »

Offline japanitrat

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 16:20:27 »
Agreeing with Oblotzky, this is basically DCS/GMK Abyss.

Which is not a bad thing since it's a nice color scheme. Maybe ask the creators of SA abyss for running that in a different profile, you might get even more interest out of the box.

As for the specific pictures you added: not a fan of centered legends on cylindrical profiles. (Top) left aligned would be more true and mixable with other sets.

Offline starhacker

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 17:46:56 »

Which is not a bad thing since it's a nice color scheme. Maybe ask the creators of SA abyss for running that in a different profile, you might get even more interest out of the box.

As for the specific pictures you added: not a fan of centered legends on cylindrical profiles. (Top) left aligned would be more true and mixable with other sets.

I did not think of contacting Keyboard Therapy for another potential rerun as an alternative. Maybe a re-run with some tweaks since I prefer the key-text color combinations I provided.
I can try out a different alignment for the keys. Is there a reason why you do not prefer centered for cylindrical? Does it look strange in person?
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 May 2018, 18:36:58 by starhacker »

Offline nickaster1

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 18:17:12 »

I did not think of that contacting Keyboard Therapy for another potential rerun an alternative option. Maybe a re-run with some tweaks since I prefer the key-text color combinations I provided.
I can try out a different alignment for the keys. Is there a reason why you do not prefer centered for cylindrical? Does it look strange in person?
I liked the colorway a lot but didn’t really want uniform SA. Maybe this time I’m gonna pull the trigger with GMK or even DCS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline japanitrat

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 19:28:36 »

I did not think of contacting Keyboard Therapy for another potential rerun as an alternative. Maybe a re-run with some tweaks since I prefer the key-text color combinations I provided.
Never seen one in person.

It looks off in photos already, though. I actually don't even know a DCS set with centered legends (but that doesn't count for anything, haha). The only times I see them is when someone tries to mimick an SA or DSA set with pad-printed WASD keyboards OEM caps .. and it always looks kinda meh to me. Maybe people don't get the proportions right, idk.

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 19:49:38 »

I did not think of that contacting Keyboard Therapy for another potential rerun an alternative option. Maybe a re-run with some tweaks since I prefer the key-text color combinations I provided.
I liked the colorway a lot but didn’t really want uniform SA. Maybe this time I’m gonna pull the trigger with GMK or even DCS

How about sculpted SA?

Offline starhacker

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 20:48:59 »

Never seen one in person.

It looks off in photos already, though. I actually don't even know a DCS set with centered legends (but that doesn't count for anything, haha). The only times I see them is when someone tries to mimick an SA or DSA set with pad-printed WASD keyboards OEM caps .. and it always looks kinda meh to me. Maybe people don't get the proportions right, idk.

Just tried a render with top left aligned text. It does look much better!

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 20:52:18 »
Sculptures SA for sure. I didn’t go with Abyss because all row 3

Offline lovetree

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 23:56:55 »

How about sculpted SA?

Definitely in

Offline Coreda

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 00:53:42 »
Just wanted to mention my appreciation for the subtleties of the color choices. Overall it's tasteful as-is imo, though I'm not one to buy keycap sets so obviously other feedback will probably shape this IC.

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 09:15:14 »
the pic titled variant2 is my favorite BUT there are two more keys that u may want to swap the color from “mod colors” to “alpha colors.” that is the ` key just before the #1 and the \ key above Enter. tbh, i prefer it the way u have it BUT i believe im in the minority about that. usually designers offer some keys including these and others like the spacebar in an alternative add on kit. if u did that id buy the alphas, mods, and an add on kit.

Click it OR Ticket!

Offline G1LL3Y

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 12:21:08 »

Show Image

It is similar but there some details that are bit different. I wanted an extra color to give a bit more focus to the alpha section. The dark navy keys have light blue as text instead of mint. The gray keys have mint text. The mint accent keys have a grayish-blue text (same as number keys color). Now I have a better idea how the colors would look in real life!

I recently purchased the SA Abyss set for Keyboard Therapy and I love the color way, but looking at your chart earlier in the thread the SP color codes that are being used are the same as in the SA Abyss set. Colors: BFR, GSM, VBV

This is no way a bad thing I would definitely love to have this same colorway in a different profile for either sculpted SA, DCS, DSA, XDA, or even MT3 profile if possible. I would recommend not going with the brown color that is used on the Variant 2 renders as it just makes the set look like a muddy lake water. Stick with variant 1 colorway... IMO. 

**Modified**

I guess the colors on the Variant 2 alphas is SP ABS GTA color. So a dark grey may work. The renders just make it seem more brown which would really ruin the set.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 May 2018, 12:31:14 by G1LL3Y »

Offline G1LL3Y

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 12:36:09 »
Could there also be a 1U "0" and a 1u "00" key?

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 13:11:46 »
Since this is so similar to SA Abyss maybe go for another profile? I'd like to see GMK / Cherry.

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 13:15:22 »
Since this is so similar to SA Abyss maybe go for another profile? I'd like to see GMK / Cherry.
If these are all custom colours for the gmk pallete than the cost of the kit might become prohibitive. But I definitely agree with you, definitely something to look into!

Offline starhacker

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 14:28:02 »
Thank you all for the feedback.
I will investigate more on doing a GMK variant for that Cherry profile. See what colors I can combine and maybe reduce the custom color palette to avoid high costs with GMK.

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 14:48:34 »
man this is confusing. im using tapatalk on iphone and the pic under the heading “variant1” is called variant2.png. and the pic under title “variant2” is called variant6.png. in tapatalk i only see all the images at the bottom of the post, so i had to open it in web browser to figure this all out

Click it OR Ticket!

Offline starhacker

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 14:58:31 »
man this is confusing. im using tapatalk on iphone and the pic under the heading “variant1” is called variant2.png. and the pic under title “variant2” is called variant6.png. in tapatalk i only see all the images at the bottom of the post, so i had to open it in web browser to figure this all out

Sorry about that! I had like 6 variants on my computer and picked 2 and 6 from my machine to upload here. I should have renamed the files to be more consistent with image headings on the site.

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 15:40:59 »

Sorry about that! I had like 6 variants on my computer and picked 2 and 6 from my machine to upload here. I should have renamed the files to be more consistent with image headings on the site.
no worries mate, but i recommend that u change the headings on the original post to match the file names to variant2 and variant6, bc right now u have no way of knowing what people mean when they say they like variant2. they could mean variant1 or variant2, and that kind of defeats the purpose of this IC. then all u gotta do is go back and ask everyone who already said they liked variant2 which one they meant. good luck!

Click it OR Ticket!

Offline gnunin

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 10 May 2018, 05:38:40 »
Variant 2 looks pretty dope. I support the choice of DCS, but I would rather see this in SA.

Offline Viss

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 10 May 2018, 15:38:58 »
Variant 2 looks pretty dope. I support the choice of DCS, but I would rather see this in SA.

Like this? :-P
https://keyboardtherapy.bigcartel.com/product/asa
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 May 2018, 15:41:45 by Viss »

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 10 May 2018, 16:09:22 »

Like this? :-P
https://keyboardtherapy.bigcartel.com/product/asa
Got'em!

Offline starhacker

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 00:23:23 »
Hello, I know I went off the grid for a while.
I will be experimenting with other colorways. From all the feedback, I think its best to close the IC on Sea Wall since it is very similar to Abyss.

This has been a positive experience as a first IC post! Thanks for the insight you all provided.