Author Topic: Pandora 60% - Koob's premium universal case - 4.5lb RGB ANSI/ISO/WKL/HHKB  (Read 51831 times)

Offline Koobaczech

• Don't forget to smile :)
    • Pearlboards

Full Album

Welcome
Hello everyone, Koobaczech here! I'm back to announce the second project that I have been working on since wrapping up Pearl GB. This project is in prototype stage, and everything can change if needed. It's called Pandora, and its a premium 60% case that is very sleek and heavy (4.6lbs). It has RGB, top mounted plates, multiple layouts like WKL/HHKB/ANSI/ISO and indicator lights. I took inspiration from other boards and it all culminated into my own 60%! Many enthusiasts asked me about a 60%, and here it is!

The pictures I will show are of my prototype. The case was unbolted in many pictures so you can see through it but it will be tight when screwed in. I built it with the HHKB top, an acrylic plate and linear switches on a USB-C GH60 PCB. Pandora is a case more than a keyboard, as it supports universal 60% PCB's and many layouts. The GB for it is not planned at the moment, and will only run if interest for it is good and people want one! I'll be talking about it so make sure not to miss any details about it! Thanks as always, and hope you love it!

Pearl
If you don't know, Pearl was a premium little 40% that I poured lots of love into, and with everyone's support, it went really smooth! Here's a link to the project - Pearl . And I'm sorry fellas, there are no Pearls left for me to send out.

About Pandora and me
There's a lot to talk about here, and I almost don't know where to start. 60%s are perfect entry points into the custom mechanical keyboard world, along with TKL's. You see more 60%s out there than 40s, 30s, 65s, full sized boards etc.. For that reason, I've owned or used many types of 60s. Pokers, wooden cases, ebay cases, anne pros, taobao 60s, idea23 resin cases, klippes, the list goes on. When I decided to make this board, I wanted to fuse my three favorite designs into one, with my own mix of things. I decided to take inspiration from hanging sides such as you see in TGR's, thin side bezels like you see in Tina cases, and mid piece/hanging RGB cutouts from E6V2 boards. To wrap it all up, I designed custom packaging to fit a dis-assembled Pandora if the project ever sold via a GB!

How is this 60% different?
The truth is that the devils in the details. There are many special things that I add to my boards and GB to try and make them cooler or more modern and fun. Pandora has dedicated indicator light housings, WKL HHKB ISO and ANSI layouts are supported, the bezels are very tight and the keycaps sink in, the plates come in many materials with switch top removal being supported, the plates extend past the bezels so light doesn't leak through the ends, usb cutouts are large and not restrictive, I add full sized polycarbonate RGB diffusers, custom packaging, included extras, top mounted plates, PVD coating on the brass, neat engravings on the case, cable routing, lots of cool colors and of course lots of special care and love when/if it sells!

How is the quality
The quality is wonderful but not perfect. I am not a Chinese or US manufacturer who does this for a living. I am a keyboard enthusiast like everyone here and I try my best with these boards. There will always be flaws such as machine and tooling marks on the insides or outsides, tarnish or spots on the brass, slightly bent plates from hand polishing, anodization irregularities, tight fitting screws, maybe small scratches. This stuff happens my friends. There is no way around it. My promise to everyone here is not to send out a board that I would be unhappy with or that wont work. And I am delicate when it comes to Quality Control. Just like with Pearl, I tried to either remake a few parts or send out the best first and worst last and refund anyone who was left and the cases were damaged, even offer discounts to anyone taking a b or c stock case. That is my plan with Pandora.

Cable routing and Indicator housings
I figured these would confuse people so I made a dedicated section just for it. I am tired of not knowing if my caps is on or off, so I made holes in the case where leds can be inserted into. Since I am not making a custom PCB, the idea is that you solder wire into the caps lock keys leds and run that wire to the led in the corner housing. The point of the holes is to support you "modding" it. The cable routing is so you can tuck your cable under the board and slip it into a hole under your desk under your keyboard. I am a big fan of cable management and do this a lot.

Important clarifications if GB runs - Subject to change
  • THERE IS NO PANDORA PCB INCLUDED, YOU BUY YOUR OWN UNIVERSAL 60% PCB through me or by yourself
  • You can choose the color and material of your plate individually from your case color
  • You can choose the color of each case part separately
  • The plate will be a single universal plate
  • Entry to buy a Pandora is free for anyone and not done via a raffle and not limited at all

Timeline and Price - Subject to change
  • Free shipping within CONUS. Respective international shipping prices added when checking out if this project runs.
  • A single purchase (Case(4 parts), Weight, Diffuser(3 parts), Plate, 10ft cable, Screws, Plastic feet, box) costs UNDER 400 USD
  • Each extra Diffuser costs $20 USD
  • Each extra Plate in either brass or aluminum or acrylic costs $35 USD
  • Expected to GB this year LOL

What's Included - Subject to change
  • Top, Middle, Bottom and Nameplate Case parts
  • Brass/Alu/Acr Switch plate
  • RGB Diffuser (3 parts)
  • PVD Coated Brass numbered Weight
  • Clear feet
  • 10 plate screws,  2 nameplate screws, 2 weight screws, 8 case screws
  • 10 foot USB-C or Mini Cable
  • Other extras

Main features
  • 60% form factor with multiple layouts
  • ALU 6061/General Brass PVD Coated/Polycarbonate
  • 6.5 degree incline
  • Top mounted universal plate with cherry stab support in polished brass or anodized alu or acrylic and switch top removal support
  • Cherry/Alps switch compatibility on plate
  • Plate supports iso and splitting backspace/rshift/lshift and stepped caps etc
  • PVD Coated polished brass weight/nameplate/plates with custom engraving on both weight sides and on the nameplate
  • 2 Corner indicator light housings (Caps,MISC)
  • RGB under-glow/NON-RGB top in-switch led support
  • Custom Premium Foam Packaging

Secondary features
  • Many anodization color options - Black, gray, silver, cyan, blue, red, pink, purple, yellow, dark green, rose gold, orange
  • Slightly sunken in design so keys hide more
  • Tight fit design, inner bezels hug keycaps
  • Diamond and usb engraving in rear corners
  • Cable routing under the board

Definite NO's in this project - Subject to change
  • Ortholinear plate
  • MATIAS or Plate Mounted Cherry Stabilizer support
  • Included stabs
  • Included keycaps
  • Included switches

More about me
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 June 2018, 14:11:15 by Koobaczech »

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
Reserved

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
YES

Feedback coming soon... (edit)
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 June 2018, 13:07:30 by LightningXI »

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
Please give more money to iMav to unlock this post
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 11:51:25 by clasicks »

Offline donut_sauce

Yup

Tbh I think it would look sweeter without the ring but that's just me.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 June 2018, 13:14:46 by donut_sauce »

Offline Peppermint216

Gorgeous but not a fan of nameplates.

Offline fcoury

Only request is for you to start this GB as soon as possible, I am super interested!

Offline Yeoh

Dedicated ANSI plate, please.

No switchtop removal, please.

Please make gaps larger to avoid tolerance issues, as seen in the Pearl.

No PCB Mounted Cherry Stabilizer support? Wut?
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 June 2018, 13:59:10 by Yeoh »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Honestly, it looks like a E6-V2 clone with some personal touches. The roundness, nameplate, and mid piece together make it look too close to be respectable.

There are a lot of other design choices that I won't comment on, since I don't think they really matter in retrospect. I can see a lot changing from now to group buy :p

Offline Mangaboy5398

Damn this looks great! I am pretty sad about not being able to join the Pearl GB (Didn't care too much about custom 40s then) (Hoping for a round 2...) But this looks like the best 60% I've seen this year.

Offline frostbyte-gaming

Umm can we get a clarification are you saying this won't support pcb mount stabs? Only cherry plate mount stabs?

Offline cldskt

• Wallet and hobby aren't friends
Personally not a fan of the cable routing slot.

Not sure whether it was intentional, but you put "Included Stabs" twice under "Definite NO", was it for highlighting purposes?  :p

Also, "Definite NO" and "Subject to change" might be contradictory.

Otherwise, this looks sexy af. Knowing how you handled Pearl, I'm sure you would be able to gather a lot of support again from the community.

"Addiction is buying the things that I don't need with the money I don't have." - me
"Spending $500 on your first custom is justified." - also me

Offline Snappo

• meme
No PCB mount stabs? what?

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

I just want an ortho pearl, tbh.
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline ChrisSwires

Yeah I'm in. Not a huge fan of nameplates but not a deal breaker (an option without would be amazing however).

Lovely work as always.

Offline Snappo

• meme
Honestly, it looks like a E6-V2 clone with some personal touches. The roundness, nameplate, and mid piece together make it look too close to be respectable.

There are a lot of other design choices that I won't comment on, since I don't think they really matter in retrospect. I can see a lot changing from now to group buy :p

He mentions thats one of the places the inspiration for the design comes from? I guess thats the sort of vibe he is going for? I think its fine.

Offline cijanzen

Yes please! Sign me up for one of these!

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
Thanks for all the feedback in such short time fellas! I'll be taking it all in post by post, and I've corrected the "Definite No" section.

And yes, its very similar to an E6, it was a huge inspiration for me. But my E6 doesn't have switch top removal, doesn't support a universal PCB, doesn't have full RGB underglow, doesn't have indicator leds, and the original run didn't have Rose Gold. All these are a must have for me as a typer and owner. I don't want to part with the visuals of my E6 but I cant do without the other stuff, so I took some of the best features from it and made my own upgrades! Also when both keyboards are together, they look nothing alike. Pandora is slimmer and heavier. Both boards are endgame for me, and I'm happy to own them!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Grrrr.  Is this imgur thing ever going to be resolved?  It really sucks to have to open a new tab on mobile for each photo to see it

Offline lumpofunworth

• I’m a guy, that does stuff, with things, for fun.
I'm so glad it's finally happening!
I like keyboards like I like people... I like keyboards a bit more come to think of it... nvm

Offline cijanzen

So for actual feedback as I noted on Instagram I think the led holes should be smaller as I could imagine they’d be quite blinding with such a large opening. The pearl holes are perfect imo. Not too large to not be able to look at without going blind but still large enough to definitely notice.

I think if the holes were smaller I’d be quite happy with the placement of the indicators as well as they’d look like they fit in more properly in that narrow edge.

Everything else is great. I appreciate that you made the cable management for your own needs as you had said before it’s designed for you first and if others like it then that’s bonus! I don’t see myself using it but it doesn’t detract from the overall aesthetic of the board.

The only other feedback I’d echo is to loosen the keycap to case edge tolerance. I really like how well fit the Pearl is but with certain caps it’s actually a little too tight. What I really appreciate you continuing though is the high profile case with the keycaps very much sunken into the case.

Looking forward to this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tikkaman

• eat mor chikin tikka
It would be really awesome to include the option for different colored aluminum spacers to be used in place of the acrylic diffuser for people who don't use rgb!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Offline fine_italian_leather

I agree that it looks a bit much like the E6-V2. Clearly not a copy but just feels a little uninspired. I would have much rather have seen something that stuck closer to the design of your previous case.

Offline Albatross

Would also greatly prefer a version without nameplate as well if possible

Offline Shadohhh

:D This board is beautiful from the pictures on instagram. I'm ready for it.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
seems quite similar to e6v2?

Offline Remsky

• Lubed switch count > Puddsy post count
Just some feedback.

> the spacing on row 4 is off compared to the other rows (possibly even row5, would need a different angle to make a decisive judgement). I suspect this is due to different key spacings used on that row
> the middle piece is not aligned properly and there is a gap between the middle piece and the top case piece, possibly due to the misalignment, although I think it is its own problem

I would like to see bigger side bezels, the keys on the edge of the rows just look odd to me, although I understand that this is intended on your part.
Can the nameplate also stick out to be level with the edge of the top case? It looks really weird the way it is right now.
TGR Jane v2 - GSKT00(coming) - TGR Jane CE V2 - TGR Poly alice - LZ Physix - Matrix 8XV 2.0 - RS - LZ FE - Dalco 959 Mini GT edition (coming) - Mc65 - Hiney TKL one - HHKB Pro 1 - 25th anniversary edition HHKB pro Hybrid - 30th anniversary Filco 2S keyboard

Offline BobCarltheThird

Are you going to be numbering the brass plates like the Pearl?
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline nickaster1

One quick question: What are those switches with yellow stem and clouded top? Been seeing them a lot in many different Kustoms

Offline Remsky

• Lubed switch count > Puddsy post count
One quick question: What are those switches with yellow stem and clouded top? Been seeing them a lot in many different Kustoms
I believe those are Revo switches from taobao
TGR Jane v2 - GSKT00(coming) - TGR Jane CE V2 - TGR Poly alice - LZ Physix - Matrix 8XV 2.0 - RS - LZ FE - Dalco 959 Mini GT edition (coming) - Mc65 - Hiney TKL one - HHKB Pro 1 - 25th anniversary edition HHKB pro Hybrid - 30th anniversary Filco 2S keyboard

Offline ptiede

I'm a huge fan of this. To me, it looks like a combo of an e6-v2 and the tx60, both I love. I personally don't think it is too close to the e6. I own an e6 (absolutely love it) and would still get one of these without hesitation. I'd also be a fan of getting a dedicated ansi plate or even better an hhkb plate. It always kinds of bugs me where I see the plate everywhere except on the bottom row where I can see the pcb poking out.

Can't wait for this!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
exclusive got pretty upset with me in PMs about this so you might wanna talk to him about changing the design slightly

im sure he won't bring it up with you so i figured i'd take the liberty of just doing it here

i'm personally a fan of it tho
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
I don't really care for the nameplate or the middle piece, but these are things I don't care for on the E6 either so I wouldn't worry about that since you like the E6.. I think the side bezels are a bit thin, and would prefer them to thicker. Another thing I noticed after typing this, since your example for the led indicator slot is caps lock, would it maybe make sense to just have one? I can't really think of two things on a 60% I'd use them on personally.

Offline ptiede

exclusive got pretty upset with me in PMs about this so you might wanna talk to him about changing the design slightly

im sure he won't bring it up with you so i figured i'd take the liberty of just doing it here

i'm personally a fan of it tho

Oh I didn't know that in that case, the gb runner should talk to exclusive.

Offline jacky

How can you copy e6v2 without any ashamed and show here

Tell me plz

Rip e6v2
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 June 2018, 21:25:23 by jacky »

Offline cijanzen

Tell me plz

Koob doesn’t need any defending by me, especially as he already acknowledged the e6 as a point of inspiration, but I don’t see how this is a copy of the e6. Certainly there’s inspiration but there are quite a few differences here. You can only design a 60% so many ways but I’d say this one stands on its own without stepping on any toes.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
And yes, its very similar to an E6, it was a huge inspiration for me. But my E6 doesn't have switch top removal, doesn't support a universal PCB, doesn't have full RGB underglow, doesn't have indicator leds, and the original run didn't have Rose Gold. All these are a must have for me as a typer and owner. I don't want to part with the visuals of my E6 but I cant do without the other stuff, so I took some of the best features from it and made my own upgrades! Also when both keyboards are together, they look nothing alike. Pandora is slimmer and heavier. Both boards are endgame for me, and I'm happy to own them!

Eh, I get what you mean with inspiration, but everything you listed isn't a massive difference, as in you could just mod an E6-V2. At least that's how I view it.

Offline jacky

Tell me plz

Koob doesn’t need any defending by me, especially as he already acknowledged the e6 as a point of inspiration, but I don’t see how this is a copy of the e6. Certainly there’s inspiration but there are quite a few differences here. You can only design a 60% so many ways but I’d say this one stands on its own without stepping on any toes.

Oh funny inspirations ‘I also get inspiration on Pandora’s And will show next day :doge:

Offline ullr

• MATIAS or Plate Mounted Cherry Stabilizer support

So is costar out of the question then? Not a deal breaker or anything, but they are my preferred stabilizer paradigm.

The Pearl was a no‐go for me due to the bizarre layout but this looks right up my alley.

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
Long day! Just got back to all these comments. Thanks everyone for expressing your opinions, concerns and distress.

Brass weights will be numbered, LED holes will definitely be smaller and better positioned. As for 1 instead of 2 holes, the second hole was for anyone modding their board, maybe for a layer indicator or power or anything! Might remove the second hole. Bezels were tight so that i can zero them in during prototyping and adjust them later. Will definitely loosen them up and make them a bit thicker! The brass nameplate, people are on the fence about it so I can see where that goes. Would save costs if its removed. Other things are being addressed as well like the cable routing. Also costars will be out, I'm sorry bud! Ive enlarged the stab cutouts to make it easier to work on them once they are in and costars would fall out!

And for everyone talking about the E6V2, I think that i'ts a bit childish to try and hinder the growth of this community by pointing fingers and saying stuff like everyone is ripping off color ways and copying designs and this and that. Theres always going to be room for improvement or changes in designs that exist in all aspects of products. These two boards share similar design features like a separate mid-piece and a nameplate, but I have both boards in front of me and almost everything is different. The boards type, feel, sound, weigh differently and have different angles, dimensions and heights. You can clearly tell they are not the same, and they aren't.

I'll talk to Exclusive because I love and respect him and his work, and hate that he's upset. Was never my intention as I even talked with him about making my 60 with some aesthetics taken from his. I'll also share comparison shots to show just how different the two cases are.

As for whats being offered here is a well made, flexible end game case to refresh your 60% life. With the addition of RGB diffusers, a large USB cutout, indicator led housings, sturdy top mounted switch plates and cable routing, its really a whole package for however you want to have your 60. Its an all in one. You won't be locked down to any layout as 60% pcbs are readily available and I typically stock tons of plates for my boards as well. Anyways, thanks all for keeping up with the thread!

Offline jacky

Long day! Just got back to all these comments. Thanks everyone for expressing your opinions, concerns and distress.

Brass weights will be numbered, LED holes will definitely be smaller and better positioned. As for 1 instead of 2 holes, the second hole was for anyone modding their board, maybe for a layer indicator or power or anything! Might remove the second hole. Bezels were tight so that i can zero them in during prototyping and adjust them later. Will definitely loosen them up and make them a bit thicker! The brass nameplate, people are on the fence about it so I can see where that goes. Would save costs if its removed. Other things are being addressed as well like the cable routing. Also costars will be out, I'm sorry bud! Ive enlarged the stab cutouts to make it easier to work on them once they are in and costars would fall out!

And for everyone talking about the E6V2, I think that i'ts a bit childish to try and hinder the growth of this community by pointing fingers and saying stuff like everyone is ripping off color ways and copying designs and this and that. Theres always going to be room for improvement or changes in designs that exist in all aspects of products. These two boards share similar design features like a separate mid-piece and a nameplate, but I have both boards in front of me and almost everything is different. The boards type, feel, sound, weigh differently and have different angles, dimensions and heights. You can clearly tell they are not the same, and they aren't.

I'll talk to Exclusive because I love and respect him and his work, and hate that he's upset. Was never my intention as I even talked with him about making my 60 with some aesthetics taken from his. I'll also share comparison shots to show just how different the two cases are.

As for whats being offered here is a well made, flexible end game case to refresh your 60% life. With the addition of RGB diffusers, a large USB cutout, indicator led housings, sturdy top mounted switch plates and cable routing, its really a whole package for however you want to have your 60. Its an all in one. You won't be locked down to any layout as 60% pcbs are readily available and I typically stock tons of plates for my boards as well. Anyways, thanks all for keeping up with the thread!
Thanks for you all bull s.h.i.t.

As you said on Reddit :https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/6p7dq8/buying_kbdfans_niu_mini_40_kit/dkn7vfy

Hey, I'm only using the same logic as he used before.

Offline cijanzen

As you said on Reddit :https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/6p7dq8/buying_kbdfans_niu_mini_40_kit/dkn7vfy

If you want to critique the work then that is what this interest check is for. Your immature personal attacks aren’t necessary and weaken the validity of your feedback and criticism.

I’m no mod here but I’d ask that you stay on topic and refrain from attacking other users here. Speak about the work, not the person, and if you want to offer feedback do so in a civilized manner.

Offline MikeTheTiger

If you want to critique the work then that is what this interest check is for. Your immature personal attacks aren’t necessary and weaken the validity of your feedback and criticism.

I’m no mod here but I’d ask that you stay on topic and refrain from attacking other users here. Speak about the work, not the person, and if you want to offer feedback do so in a civilized manner.

This

Offline Snappo

• meme
People seem more concerned about calling something a copy than they are trying to improve the design.

Does exclusive have a copyright on nameplates and middle pieces now? 

As far as I see it, its different for exclusive himself to be upset. From others its just gatekeeping designs.

However, I think I would actually like it more without the middle piece and nameplate. :p

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
MM2 and Niu is a way seperate issue. Those two boards share the same exact things and both battled with each other since the release of Niu came out surprisingly before mm2. When i mean share the same things, i mean same pcb, same plate, same rgb ortholinear 40%. Both boards came from the same factory in the same month.

Pandora and E6 are not the same and you would get one over the other for different reasons based on what you want out of a board. For example, rgb, switchtop removal, led indicators, universal pcb, etc.

In the case of niu vs mm2, it now became "which vendor to go with" instead of "which board to go with". Figured that was crystal clear but i guess not!

And thanks for the feedback Snappo! I gotta make some new renders :p

Offline excluisve

• * Maker
  • Making & Thinking.
People seem more concerned about calling something a copy than they are trying to improve the design.

As far as I see it, its different for exclusive himself to be upset. From others its just gatekeeping designs.

However, I think I would actually like it more without the middle piece and nameplate. :p

Yea I am not have copyright on nameplate and middle pieces

So it mean ppl can copy whatever they want  as long as they have no copyright is it ?

Offline Snappo

• meme

So it mean ppl can copy whatever they want  as long as they have no copyright is it ?

That's not quite my point. I worded it poorly, sorry.

What I meant was because you did that with your board, does that mean other community members cannot have middle pieces and nameplates now? 

If you feel this design is too close to yours, then I can understand that. Talk to koob about it.

As I've said, I'm in favour of removing the nameplate and middle piece. This should have differentiate the two boards more, and would look cleaner to me. Would this satisfy you excluisve?

« Last Edit: Fri, 29 June 2018, 09:53:17 by Snappo »

Offline excluisve

• * Maker
  • Making & Thinking.

That's not quite my point. I worded it poorly, sorry.

What I meant was because you did that with your board, does that mean other community members cannot have middle pieces and nameplates now? 

If you feel this design is too close to yours, then I can understand that. Talk to koob about it.

As I've said, I'm in favour of removing the nameplate and middle piece. This should have differentiate the two boards more, and would look cleaner to me. Would this satisfy you excluisve?
This is not about make me satisfaction dont throw the topic on that

you're not the designer for the pandora, it's not your responsibility to make sure it does not copy other boards. koob should make his own unique design for 60% and not change it a minimal amount to stop complaints, the pearl was a unique design, no one could confuse it with another 40%
he should also make pandora a unique design