Author Topic: Anyone into comics? (The thread about anyone into comics.)  (Read 24540 times)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Anyone into comics? (The thread about anyone into comics.)
« on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 14:09:28 »
My summer break is coming to and end, but that doesn't mean my summer reading has to!
This summer I spent catching up on my comic book backlog. For years I've been borrowing trade-backs from the library, but during Prime Day I saw the Fire HD 10 for $100 and thought it might be neat for a comic reader. Installed Perfect Viewer with automatic cropping and background colors and now I can't go back to paper.  :eek:
It even works great for reading magazine PDFs!

Currently reading:
Amazing Spider-Man Masterworks volumes,
Nowhere Men,
RASL,
Saga of the Swamp Thing,
Saga,
Bone (rereading),
From Hell (rereading),
Scott Pilgrim,
TMNT (IDW),
Walking Dead,
Death Note (rereading),
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (in full color!),
Dragon Ball (in full color!),
and Dr. Slump.

Whew!
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 August 2018, 10:08:52 by romevi »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: Anyone into comic books?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 15:13:50 »
I've been getting back into comics over just this summer. Reading a lot of old Aliens comics, Junji Ito's Gyo and Izumaki, Locke and Key, Godzilla, and a few Harrow County volumes. Mostly I like horror and things that go bump in the night.

I tried getting into the Dark Knight Metal series, and even bought two of the existing volumes, but the writing is so bad I couldn't take it seriously.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 16:00:12 »
Mostly reading stuff that I find on sale on Comixology.

Recent Reads:
the Scorpion
the 6th Gun
Black Panther
Darth Vader
Luther Strode (both series)
Incorruptible
Irredeemable

Also a smattering of older comics.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 16:16:35 »
I like the more indie and weirdo end of the medium generally, the Fantagraphics, D&Q, kind of stuff. And Moebius. And small press stuff. And old 2000AD. Weird manga...

That said, I have the recent AKIRA boxset to get through at some point. I only ever read the first two volumes before so am looking forward to that. I actually was considering getting a nice tablet specifically to read AKIRA and comics in general, but couldn't resist the hardcover boxset. I'm not gonna buy any more books til I clear my backlog now. Probably. Maybe.

Offline firezlife

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 11 August 2018, 19:35:01 »
Marvel fan, surprise...  Mostly preferred the X-Men stuff, but there's just way too many variations.  Was too much work trying to keep up and ruined the enjoyment of reading comics for me.  Haven't really read any issues in about 3 years, just synopsis of the big events.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 11 August 2018, 23:17:58 »
small list:

- Futurama                                                           (~30)
- Saga                                                                  (can't remember)
- The Walking Dead                                             (100+)
- Tokyo Ghost                                                       (barely started)
- Captain Victory and The Galatic Rangers         (soon)
- Guardians of The Galaxy                                   (1969--soon)

Offline method_

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 16 August 2018, 03:57:59 »
Anyone here into belgium/french comics ?
thock program.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 16 August 2018, 10:08:26 »
Anyone here into belgium/french comics ?

Give me more info! I guess I should change the title to just comics so that it covers American/British comic books, Japanese manga, American/European comic strips, and everything in between!

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
Re: Anyone into comics? (The thread about anyone into comics.)
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 03:56:46 »
I read every Asterix and (hopefully) all of Don Rosa's Disney comics, and I collect Garfield books. Other than that, I have a passion for web comics (the usual: Dilbert, Daily Garfield, xkcd, Random Crab, Cyanide & Happiness, Lunarbaboon, ...).  :)
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 11:18:54 »
I don't read them as much as I would like to; I do try to keep up on various manga. I haven't been read anything western since the 2 or third volume of saga came out. I do enjoy Hellboy quite a bit; I love cosmic horror type stuff and general occult-y/spoopy stuff.

Caught up on Berserk a month ago or so, but that's it. I should make more time for it; I really appreciate the art form. I think I'm gonna go see if there is anything promising :p

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 14:10:37 »
I haven't been read anything western since the 2 or third volume of saga came out

You gotta keep up! Saga has some of the most powerful storytelling period, both through the writing and the art.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 15:57:05 »
I haven't been read anything western since the 2 or third volume of saga came out

You gotta keep up! Saga has some of the most powerful storytelling period, both through the writing and the art.

I really, really enjoyed what was available at the time; maybe that's what I'll pick up to get back into it. I imagine they're much further now. That's good to hear that they're still keep it up; sometimes new(er) stuff just drops off haha

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 17:25:30 »
Agreed, Saga is pretty dang good.

Offline DeTommie

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 12 September 2018, 08:03:45 »
My latest reads were:
- Saga
- Chew
- Y the last man
- The Walking Dead

Have read the following in the past:
- Suske & Wiske (Bob & Bobette, Spike & Suzy)
- Asterix
- Lucky Luke
- Thorgal
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 September 2018, 08:07:49 by DeTommie »

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 12 September 2018, 14:35:09 »
My latest reads were:
- Saga
- Chew
- Y the last man
- The Walking Dead

Have read the following in the past:
- Suske & Wiske (Bob & Bobette, Spike & Suzy)
- Asterix
- Lucky Luke
- Thorgal

I think reading the gn of "The Walking Dead" ruined the show for me; which is a shame because it seems like a ton of people enjoy it.

Offline MichealHeitz

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 07:49:23 »
My current read is Saga.....never knew there are other damn good comics other than superheroes out there

Offline ctrl

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 03:39:16 »
Been wanting to get back to reading comics again.

A few favorites:
Egypt (Vertigo) - Mini series by Peter Milligan and my all time favorite.
Conan (Dark Horse) - True to the source and Becky Cloonan is just amazing.
Swamp Thing (DC Comics) - Binge read everything a few years back. Golden era Swamp Thing and Alan Moore's Swamp Thing are top notch storytelling.
The New Adventures of Hitler - Niche, but seek this one out. Haunting story and hand painted panels.

Also a big fan of Moebius. I gave Saga a try when it first came out, but it didn't really stick back then. Would be cool with recommendations for new reads. :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 November 2018, 01:58:11 by ctrl »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 13:17:55 »
My current read is Saga.....never knew there are other damn good comics other than superheroes out there

There are all kinds of comics without a single superhero that are just as good and sometimes better than superhero ones. Off the top of my head, ones I'm currently reading besides Saga are Nowhere Men an The Walking Dead.
Sure, The Walking Dead is a bit played out thanks to the show, but the comic has been running for almost fifteen years. There are definitely some lulls in it, but considering how long it's been going on it's fantastic.

With school in session, my comic run has been a bit dry, but I am still keeping up with One-Punch Man. I tried to restrict myself to the official English releases, but considering the next one doesn't come out until next year I've started reading scanlations.  :-X

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 15:31:27 »
Been on a Venom kick recently reading Venomverse and Edge Of The Venomverse (both very cool) as well as Dark Avengers vol 1 and Thunderbolts vol 1 (Norman Osborn as Iron Patriot team.)
Thunderbolts/Dark Avengers was ****in' great, I am definitely going to be picking up some more collected volumes at a later time. It could so easily be a very successful franchise, the characters and their interactions make a very entertaining read. Like Marvel's answer to Suicide Squad.

Offline totoloco

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 08 November 2018, 12:55:12 »
Blankets- Rereading
Squirrel Girl- First go through, not regretting at all. Incredibly funny and self aware.
Batman: Hush- One of my favorites, probably my 3rd time reading it
Trying out some new Tank Girl as well

Offline ra7c7er

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 10 November 2018, 07:53:17 »
I've been re-reading some older stuff I have. Demo is currently on my table. I also picked up recently Bender which is a series about serial killers Bloody Benders of Cherryvale, KS.

Offline Flame

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 10 November 2018, 22:29:48 »
I'm currently reading Joe Hill's Thumbprint. I've been meaning to read the Hellblazer series, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Saga and Death Note are both really good. I definitely recommend checking them out to anyone who isn't sold on whether or not they should pick them up. Other than that, I still enjoy reading lighter comics like Calvin and Hobbes, etc. :)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 10 November 2018, 22:33:51 »
I still enjoy reading lighter comics like Calvin and Hobbes, etc. :)

Whoa, whoa, whoa.
Did you just say C&H is "light"?! My friend, if you read C&H in its entirety, it would bout with all the greatest Sunday comics before today and still reign as king. It is art in its purest form.

Offline Lanrefni

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 01:25:10 »

Whoa, whoa, whoa.
Did you just say C&H is "light"?! My friend, if you read C&H in its entirety, it would bout with all the greatest Sunday comics before today and still reign as king. It is art in its purest form.

Plussity plus,Calvin and Hobbes is deep as hell once you realize the philosophical arguments are based on the ideas of Thomas Hobbes and John Calvin.

Offline Flame

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 03:03:58 »

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

I completely agree! I meant "light" as in it's not a more "dark" (horror, psychological, etc.) genre.  ;D

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 13:05:52 »
I would HIGHLY recommend the Immortal Hulk series. They took what everyone loves about the Hulk, a big green destructive force, took away his dumbness and made him smart like Banner, but with a much darker and sadistic twist. Whereas Incredible Hulk might drop a rock on his enemy and exclaim "Hulk smash" the Immortal Hulk would tear their limbs off and bury them in a tomb they can never escape from after getting a hole blown clear through his chest. Bad ass, and surprisingly well written. Great stuff if you are a Hulk fan, giving him a more monstrous air.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 17:46:13 »
Few people better than Tom Tomorrow:

Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 13:42:46 »
Finished The Walking Dead today.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 13:00:53 »
I would HIGHLY recommend the Immortal Hulk series. They took what everyone loves about the Hulk, a big green destructive force, took away his dumbness and made him smart like Banner, but with a much darker and sadistic twist. Whereas Incredible Hulk might drop a rock on his enemy and exclaim "Hulk smash" the Immortal Hulk would tear their limbs off and bury them in a tomb they can never escape from after getting a hole blown clear through his chest. Bad ass, and surprisingly well written. Great stuff if you are a Hulk fan, giving him a more monstrous air.

That sounds really interesting; Did you read World War Hulk? That was a fun arc to read.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 23 December 2019, 22:18:32 »
I recently read Cosmic Ghost Rider Destroys Marvel History on a plane ride and thoroughly enjoined its nostalgic references and goofiness. Frank Castle makes such a good Ghost Rider.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 10 January 2020, 15:19:57 »
Just picked up Batman: The Court Of The Night Owls, and DC Meets Loony Toons so those are next on my list.

Also been really into Ghost Rider after reading Cosmic Ghost Rider. I had NO IDEA this was a thing that exists:

Offline dieudonnecarries

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 17 November 2022, 03:09:18 »
Only recently I began to notice that my son draws well. He creates amateur comics and occasionally writes sequel stories. He recently opened his own company where he sells custom comic book writing services and gives free lesson plans for teachers (from here https://www.storyboardthat.com/lesson-plans-home) who want to teach kids this art. I'm shocked, it's really popular.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 November 2022, 06:07:02 by dieudonnecarries »

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 23 November 2022, 18:54:21 »
I've been getting back into comics over just this summer. Reading a lot of old Aliens comics, Junji Ito's Gyo and Izumaki, Locke and Key, Godzilla, and a few Harrow County volumes. Mostly I like horror and things that go bump in the night.
Gyo was my first foray into the Itoverse...so good. I just read that Adult Swim has a Uzumaki anime in the works. :thumb:

I have the recent AKIRA boxset to get through at some point. I only ever read the first two volumes before so am looking forward to that. I actually was considering getting a nice tablet specifically to read AKIRA and comics in general, but couldn't resist the hardcover boxset. I'm not gonna buy any more books til I clear my backlog now. Probably. Maybe.
I have the original American print release of Akira from the '80s. There are about 40+ issues...most freaking epic manga I've ever read (same goes for the anime).
Also, check out Bartkira.com if you haven't already. It was a collective art project in which the Akira manga was rewritten and illustrated using Simpsons characters.
http://www.bartkira.com/

I read every Asterix and (hopefully) all of Don Rosa's Disney comics, and I collect Garfield books.
This might hurt you to read, but I recently traded in my first printing Garfield books. I think I had ten or so of them. No regrets.
Also, have you seen the website Garfield Minus Garfield. Definitely check it out if you haven't already. It turns the comic into an unsettling look into the life of Jon, a depressed and lonely sad sack of despair.
https://garfieldminusgarfield.net/
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 23 November 2022, 19:01:18 »
I used to be heavily into comics for about ten years starting in the mid '80s. I was strictly a Marvel/manga guy and most of the indie Marvel offshoots like Darkhorse and Epic. I recently read the Infinity Gauntlet miniseries. It wasn't something I would normally read but a friend got it for me, so I gave it a go. Next on the reading list is The Hobbit miniseries by Dixon & Wenzel.
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 29 November 2022, 08:15:52 »
Want to find my copy of JtHM so I can read through it again.  Also would like to go back through the Punisher v Batman series again (been a looong time since I read it).

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 29 November 2022, 16:17:53 »
I think the last two full series I read through were Vader Down and Death of Wolverine. Both were great!

Offline simplycanada

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 04 December 2022, 17:55:10 »
just a bit tired after long day tonight so can't recall all the names atm but anyhow starting with these tho..

two klaws hardcovers and mm yeah I just don't know if I really want keep these anymore,
star wars: han solo softcover,
beastars from the city library and so far I have seen up to issue 18 - do find it a very interesting story but knowing the price of manga's I don't know if I'll ever want private copies someday or not,
two elsewhere and its kinda interesting kind of theme,
courageous princess from city library and it is interesting but not enough to want to reread

and there probably has been so many thin softcover graphic novels that I have taken out from the library ever since late last year but I very rarely ever try find any particular one to reread again (lot of star wars, a little bit of star trek crossovers, some non-space fantasy, etc)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 06 December 2022, 11:27:08 »
The spiderverse trailer is my reward for getting through a very hard week